New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Doom of Daggerdale 3.5 (IC)

As the silent hunter watches the battle unfold he determine where he is now would no doubt best help his allies and unleashes two arrows in quick succession, one at the enemy facing Faurgar and the other at the enemy engaged with Nanes-Il.

Spoiler: Rapid Shot
    Show
    Full Attack no movement
    Attack vs Nanes-Il's enemy (1d20+10)[20] Damage (1d6+10)[13]
    Attack vs Faurgar's enemy (1d20+8)[20] Damage (1d6+10)[11]

I figured it would be best to try and weaken/finish off two enemies vs trying to take out one with slightly more damage.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

The fact these people were still standing was a testimony to their resiliency, but maybe his allies had decided to go light on them, yes, he couldn’t smell the large one frothing yet, so they must be.

He smirked
    Why would they do that he thought.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack everything!

Bite Attack - (1d20+11)[13]
    Bite Damage - (1d6+10)[12] [Magic]

Claw Attack 1 - (1d20+6)[26]
    Claw Damage 1 - (1d6+7)[11] [Magic]

Claw Attack 2 - (1d20+6)[12]
    Claw Damage 2 - (1d4+7)[11] [Magic]

Jericho
    M NG Half-Orc, the Dalelands Barbarian 1/Druid 4/Warhsaper 1
    Level 6, Init 9, HP 49/49, Speed 40, 60 (in predator form)
    AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Stats Str 18, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Condition immune to stunning & critical hits
    Abilities Animal Devotion [1/1], belt of healing [3/3], anklets of translocation [2/2]
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-04-07 at 08:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Delmuth rapidly fires off arrows, taking down the Zhent fighting Faurgar and his shadowy panther while further injuring Nanes-Il's assailant. Faurgar is freed up to double team Ganzaya's opponent, who falls with a sickening crunch as the flail impacts his helmet. Jericho comes up behind the last fighter and takes him down with his vicious supernatural claws.

As the battle falls silent, you recognize the sound of hoofbeats approaching. A dozen riders, likely drawn by the clash of swords, approach from the narrow forest path. Rather than the black armored Zhentarim, these men are clad in the worn leathers and muted colors of the True Dalesmen, the resistance against the Zhent occupation. They seem impressed by the results of your bloody encounter with their enemies. Their leader moves forward, removes his helmet, and addresses you -

"Well met, travelers. I am Lord Randal Morn, and any enemy of the Zhentarim is a friend of mine.

A strange fever is stalking Daggerdale by night, catching the good Dalefolk asleep and leaving them trapped in their slumber. The Dream Fever magic comes from Dagger Falls where the usurper Constable Tren rules. Any man who can put an end to the fever will have earned my thanks and my gold.

But beware the Constable. Tren is a lackey of the Zhentarim, but he is also a powerful former adventurer and not a man to be crossed lightly."

He leans back and waits for your reply, while his companions watch the road, ready for anything.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2024-04-08 at 09:15 PM.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

As the battle draws to a close Delmuth begins to take off his hood when the sound of hooves can be heard coming their way. " We cannot outrun horses, our options are to hide, or hope its not more Zhents." he says calmly, though already making his way into cover as he readies an arrow in case it was indeed more Zhentarim soldiers. Sadly he doesn't have time to get into full cover as the riders approach, thankfully however they appear to be people of the Dale and Delmuth seems to relax slightly, aiming his bow towards the ground, however not putting it away just yet. He was not foolish enough to believe the Zhentarim could not have spies in normal clothing.

When the leader approaches removing his helmet and stating his name he looks to Jericho as if to say How convenient they come after the battle is over., however the hunter remains silent and doesn't voice out loud this sentiment as he turns to look at the others in the party to see if they wished to adress this figure who seemed to openly tell them the plights of the land just by hearing fighting and seeing dead bodies in armor that belonged to Zhent's. One could easily infiltrate their ranks if they simply dressed the dead rebels as Zhent's and the Zhent's dressed as travelers. It's no wonder the Dales are already under enemy control. Though this constable does sound like a problem, as does this sleeping spell as so long as we are in Daggerdale in theory we could fall victim to it. Then again it could be some kind of poison in the water, the Zhent's would need a steady source of clean water though, and the chances of a priest not thinking of something along these lines as well seems unlikely. he thinks to himself, if asked a direct question Delmuth would answer, however he didn't know these people who trusted to easily, and it was better to allow his allies who were more skilled at dealing with other people do so, he tried, however to appear friendly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    All I can picture is seeing a bunch of dead people with arrows in them, this archer not saying anything in normal ranger gear just casually holding his bow and standing near cover refusing to speak yet looking at a wolf (that they don't know is a person) and "talking to it" in their silent looks and nods lol

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Udro crings everytime Jericho tries to bite an enemy! why would someone do that?

Violence is over now and Udro uses some of his healing resources before checking on the others. Nobody seems seriously hurt. These vaunted Zhents were a pushover!

Horseshoes approach and Udro prepares to cast a spell to prevent a cavalry charge, when he realizes these are not foes.

Despite his ragged clothes and aspect, there's a certain air of leadership to this Randal Morn that Udro can appreciate. He listens to the rebel leader and bows. But then balks at Delmuth's suggestion of wearing a dead man's clothes? Don't these savages have taboos?

Udro, the Flame of the South is glad to make your acquaintance, sir Randal. We are on a mission to find a certain merchant by the name of Redwood, Ian Redwood. But having seen these Zentarim I grow concerned. Do you know the whereabouts of this Master Redwood?

We are open to help you, I suffered the tyranny of the Pashas of my land, and will not tolerate others to suffer the same fate. But it is only noble of us to first locate this Ian Redwood.
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-04-09 at 09:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Jericho looked at Delmuth, he was much faster than most horses, but he was correct, the others could not outrun horses.

He transformed back and looked at Delmuth and then to Udro with a wide toothy grin that had blood dripping. Making quite the site, he wiped the viscera from his face and hands with some water. he looks the newcomers up and down, walking around their horses as if inspecting them all. He wasn't impressed.

"Nice of you to show up" he says simply, "How is it you lot have managed to avoid this sleeping curse?"

Spoiler
    Show

Jericho
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Condition Immune to stunning & critical hits
    Abilities Animal Devotion [1/1], belt of healing [3/3], anklets of translocation [2/2]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

7. - Top - End - #37

Most of Morn's troops are rather shocked by Jericho's transformation, rearing back and steadying their horses. Morn himself is unfazed. So is his second in command, a short, greying man wearing a holy symbol of Tymora. The lord addresses your questions while the priest contents himself with studying the party from atop his horse.

"...Redwood... he runs a brewery in Dagger Falls, I believe. If you haven't been able to contact him, he may have fallen victim to the Dream Fever himself. About eighty Dalesmen and as many of the invader's troops have been brought low by the disease. If Redwood is one of them, the two missions may be one and the same.

The Dream Fever thus far has been confined to Dagger Falls and its environs. It is the seat of the Constable's rule, and my men and I are not welcome there. However, the people of Daggerdale are under my protection. If I cannot ride to their aid myself, I will at least offer a bounty to those who can."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"A bounty, you say? How much?" Faurgar interjects. "And if the fever is taking Zhents as well as townsfolk, why not wait for more of their men to fall ill and then take the town for yourself? Sounds like you believe the source of the sickness is in Dagger Falls, so it'd be easier to stop it if you're there, aye?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ganzaya stroked his moustache, frowning.

"If the Lord appears, these Zhents may try to blame this sickness on him, yes? Sow dissent and chaos even while their own men fall. Besides, if we wait too long, then Redwood may not survive this fever!"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ganzaya was right.

Maese Morn. I'm bound to find Maese Redwood anyway, so I might as well see about this illness issue. But how shall we make contact with you? I'd guess your dwelling are well hidden if you are on the run from the Zehnts

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, don't worry, I'm sure they will come riding like thunder to assist once everything has been done." he says sardonically side eyeing the leader

Spoiler
    Show

Jericho
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Ganzaya stroked his moustache, frowning.

"If the Lord appears, these Zhents may try to blame this sickness on him, yes? Sow dissent and chaos even while their own men fall. Besides, if we wait too long, then Redwood may not survive this fever!"
    "If the people are so easily swayed, then I reckon Master Morn will be waiting a long time to call himself Lord again," Faurgar answers with a shrug. "However, you do bring up an interesting point concerning the sickness. Has the Dream Fever killed anyone yet, or are they all just sleeping deeply?" he asks Randal Morn.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Delmuth considers the information given so far and what his allies have said and ponders his words carefully before at last speaking. "Are any that are effected in Daggerdale Elves? We are naturally immune to magical forms of sleep and this may help us determine what is causing this affliction upon your people. It being tied to the Zhents however are unlikely, though not impossible, if they are also being effected by this Dream Fever. If they didn't want the people to know their own troops were under the effects of this Dream Fever they would have doubled patrols, and made their presence seem bigger, as if they were everywhere. And if they were affected truly they would be looking for a cure and keeping their own with the people to prove that they were not the cause of this Dream Fever or else risk the people revolting. So either they have a cure or the more likely option they are not the cause of this Fever." he says as if it was a simple deduction, as in his eyes Zhents were an apex predator, and the townsfolk were prey. They gained little from lying to their prey with the information they knew, meaning more likely something else was the true culprit here preying on all of Daggerdale.

14. - Top - End - #44

The lord's men bristle at the implied insult. Morn remains diplomatic, but his enthusiasm seems to flag a bit.

"I won't let the Dream Fever continue unabated in hopes that it might hurt my enemy more than it hurts my own people. There have been several deaths already, and who knows what could happen if the Zhentarim priests and mages are able to find a cure and keep it to themselves, or even learn to control it?

Four thousand pieces of gold if you can stop the sickness, and another two thousand if you can wake the sleepers or come up with a cure. As for contacting me, the Zhentarim's control only extends so far into the woods. I move around to avoid open battle or assassination, but ask around in any hamlet more than a day's ride from the town and I will find you. Failing that, return to Shadowdale and Lhaeo, Elminster's scribe, will cover the debt.

To answer your question about the elves, not many of the Fair Folk live in Dagger Falls. I haven't heard of any being afflicted, but I couldn't swear to it.

Now then, I have an insurgency I simply must be getting back to. Fighting a decades-long war against a well-supplied and magically supported foe is not as easy as some might think."

Deciding that the audience is over, Morn signals his troops and they ride off.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2024-04-10 at 09:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

"Was it something we said?" Delmuth asks confused as the leader of the rebellion seems to ride off and leave. The gold was a nice incentive on top of what the favor he was already doing by taking this job so he saw no harm in doing it. Plus they were already going to said location anyways, it didn't hurt to look around.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"These western lords seem a prickly lot. Overly proud of their pedigrees and possessive of their lands. I had heard things were different in the Dales, but it seems not," Faurgar comments after the Dalesmen have ridden off. "Six thousand gold is a princely sum, though, so at least Randal Morn knows to pay well for dangerous work."

"We should search the Zhents for anything of value or which might prove useful once we get to Dagger Falls, then dispose of the bodies," he adds as he turns his attention to the fallen.

17. - Top - End - #47

The party sets to work searching the dead. In addition to various mundane supplies, the cleric bears a magic cloak and wand, while the sergeant has a case holding ten small gold trade bars, doubtless the result of a previous "taxation." It is quick work to identify everything that would be more useful to you than the ravens.

Spoiler
    Show

Cloak of Resistance +1
    500 gp total in gold ingots
    Wand of Cure Light Wounds with 25 charges
    5 masterwork longswords, 1 masterwork longbow, 1 masterwork heavy mace
    5 suits of full plate and 1 chain shirt (distinctive Zhentarim make, as described before)
    4 heavy shields, 1 light shield

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The injured Ganzaya's eyes lit up when one of the items revealed was a wand of cure light wounds. Not that he could use it himself, but...

"A healing stick! Ahhh magic friends, could one of you be able to then stick it to me perhaps?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

As the group searches the bodies for any loot of use, Delmuth keeps watch, making sure no one sneaks up on the party.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show

Hide (1d20+14)[15]
    Spot (1d20+13)[20]

Just in case

When all the stuff of use is taken but before the armor is removed Delmuth calls out from his hiding spot. " Taking the armor would cause more hassle for us in the long term. Any village under Zhent rule will immediately attack us no doubt, or at least the less human of us, if we show up carrying or wearing the armor. And if we try to sell it in any town nearby no one will buy it, meaning we would be lugging it around and tiring ourselves for little to no gain. I say we bury them with their armor and keep the rest." Delmuth says waiting to hear what the rest of the party thought on the matter.

At Ganzaya's question Delmuth looks to the others who could use magic, he had been practicing simple cantrips, however was not able yet to form the most basic of spells work for himself, though he knew he was close to figuring it out. " I am not able to as of this moment Ganzaya, though perhaps with practice and working with the others I may finally be able to get over the last hurdle stopping me from being able to cast simple spells."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Healing magic is not in my repertoire, sadly. I was never the kind to touch open wounds or call the god's assistance.

Udro is mildly disgusted by these folks moving and looting the bodies. That was a scavenger part of adventuring he had a hard time dealing with.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"We should not be carrying anything openly that could be traced to this band of thugs," Faurgar agrees. "Fortunately, both Ganzaya and Nanes-Il have packs with extradimensional storage space. The weapons should fit easily enough, and as for the Zhents' armour, I would prefer to bury that separately, in case the opportunity arises to return and sell it all later. Removing armour from a rotting corpse is even less pleasant than taking it from the recently slain," he notes matter-of-factly.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Shaking his slowly as he watches the riders depart, he turns and regards the others searching the bodies, he was trying to decide if the grumbling in his stomach would be best sated with a quick meal, or something more planned out.

As Ganzaya finds a wand he looks at the mighty man "Of course Great Ganzaya, let me help you"

Then he turns to the others "We don't have time to mess around with selling trinkets. Where is this town we need to get to?"

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming the wand is 1st level:
    (1d8+1)[8]
    (1d8+1)[7]
    (1d8+1)[5]
    (1d8+1)[4]
    (1d8+1)[7]
    (1d8+1)[4]
    (1d8+1)[5]

23/25 charges remaining (will edit used charges)

Jericho
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-04-17 at 10:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #53

The party disposes of the bodies and continues on their journey.

The next day, you arrive at Dagger Falls around noon. The Zhentarim consider this a frontier town - black armored patrols keep order in the streets while work crews load timber, crops, and livestock looted from the dale into caravans bound east. The native Dalesfolk are sullen and guarded. Most of them see their "ruler" as an occupier to be resisted, though some few have grown wealthy trading with the invaders and regard the Constable as the future of land.

The city itself is in sorry shape. The only inn open for business is the vastly overpriced Teshford Arms. No temple stands in Dagger Falls after the temple of Lathander burned down under mysterious circumstances. The Cyricist priests among the Zhentarim have made some move towards building a new temple to their god on the site, but haven't made much progress. Various shops are open for business, and innumerable shoddy taverns serve rough ale to rough men. On the north side of town lie the Constable's tower and the garrison, containing several hundred Zhentarim soldiers, mercenaries, and Dalish auxiliaries.

The gate guards eye you warily as you enter, but offer no challenge.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Udro walks into the ill-looking city with one aim in mind: Finding Ian Redwood.

He ignored the guards and just wished his companions didn't ruffle any feathers.

Where would mr. Redwood's business be?

I'm going to try and find Redwood, he may have some internal information on what's going on here.

He told the others.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Do you wish to have one of us accompany you to have your back?" Ganzaya's tone was, for a change, on the serious side. And the fact that he didn't automatically volunteer himself to annoy Udro was noticeable. "Maybe he does business with the taverns here...maybe they know where he lives or where is his brewery..."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Happy to stretch his legs once again, he ran by the side of the pack as they advanced to the town of Daggerdale, perhaps the pack would be ok if he stayed in his wolf-form? They still needed to choose an alpha, but he kept feeling like they would never do so, old gray lone wolves these, no leaders....or followers among them, this was a ragtag pack at the best. Perhaps one day they would be.

Near the gates, behind a bush he transformed back into his human-form and walked the rest of the way.

"Great Ganzaya, how do you feel? better?" he asks

And as Udro states his intention to find Redwood "I will also go."

Spoiler
    Show

Ganzaya you are fully healed from the wand

Jericho
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Previous night
    Show
    That night went by relatively easy, as Delmuth secured a safe area to camp for the night that was more then defensible enough for a single night. Looking to Jericho he asked "Shall we go hunt for dinner?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Delmuth will always suggest stopping an hour before sunset to give the group time to find a secure campground and time for the group to hunt, even if he is not on the hunting party.

The next day as the group arrived in Daggerdale Delmuth simply walked with the others, doing his best not to draw attention to the group as it would make their job that much harder. Instead he observed the guards and people, trying to determine some sort of pattern to the guards and if the people kept a wide berth from them or not.

Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    (1d20+13)[14]

"If it is alright with the rest of you I would like to observer the people of this town, it would be best if we understood the terrain we are walking in before we try to move forward to far." Delmuth explains as he looks around for a good place to simply sit down and observer, somewhere high, but open, with food if possible so it would not draw suspicion if he were to sit there for a long time.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Faurgar has nothing to say and so keeps his peace. Searching for Redwood by way of the taverns seems like it has a fair chance of success.

29. - Top - End - #59

The Zhentarim are not subtle. Armed patrols wander the streets. The basic squad seems to be a five soldiers, often with a minor wizard or priest attached. These hard men and women seem cut from much the same cloth as the squad you met the previous day. They don't resort to open robbery in the streets of Dagger Falls - presumably that level of lawlessness would inconvenience their superiors - but even the sympathizers among the local Dalesfolk don't get too close. Given even more room are the nonhumans - orcish mercenaries and the occasional black armored ogre.

The law is similarly not subtle. The tense atmosphere of the city occasionally boils over into brawls between the caravanners, visiting rural folk, and the locals. The Zhent response is always the same, rushing in with truncheons and beating everyone involved, without bothering to make arrests or an investigation. More serious punishments are evidenced by the pillory and whipping post prominently displayed in the mostly-empty market, as well as the gallows you passed on the way into town. For the most part, however, the Constable seems interested in administering justice only insofar as it prevents public disorder from interfering with the looting of the Dale.

---

In the midst of this, you find your way to Redwood's Private Reserve, the brewery owned by Ian Redwood. Like most of the town, the building has seen better days. You enter to find a listless-seeming woman occupying the front desk. She introduces herself as Tress.

You came to see the boss? You're out of luck, the boss isn't seeing anyone. He came down with the dream fever a while back. Or the curse, or whatever you think it is. He's laid out in the office upstairs, sleeping like the dead.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Delmuth takes note of the Zhentarim's patrols and how they were organized, determining after a while that they were similar to the one they had fought in the woods. If the group was in trouble they could probably take out two before it became an issue he determined, however that would put them more on edge and no doubt make the challenge of the patrols harder to deal with. Perhaps getting a message out to this resistance for them to harasses the Zhents on the outskirts with hit and run tactics to minimize their own losses would make the amount of patrols in town easier to move around or perhaps even eliminate. The mercenaries provided a unique opportunity, for if one had more gold and could find a weak link they could perhaps persuade a few into helping the group instead of the Zhents, this would have to be a very careful course of action if taken however.

How they seemed to put down any form of disorder also showed that they mostly ruled through fear and brute strength. Remove one or the other and their control would slip. Something no doubt this Dream Fever was already doing to some extent.

When the group arrives at the residence of Ian Redwood Delmuth listens to what the woman says and nods his head in understanding. He was no good with healing magic and even less help with the mundane forms of healing so he had to simply accept what the woman said. Perhaps one of the others would be able to identify stuff of that nature however he would not. "Could you tell us how long ago he fell under the effects of this sleep? Did something happen leading up to this that was unusual or did he perhaps get into a fight with someone before the sleeping spell?"