New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Doom of Daggerdale 3.5 (IC)

The party has spent the last few days traveling. The large farms of Cormyr gave way to the small farms of Shadowdale which gave way to the woodlands of Daggerdale. The road traffic has similarly decreased, and you haven't passed another soul on the road to Dagger Falls for hours.

When you are about 20 miles away, you come to a clearing before a stone bridge across a small stream. Six rough-looking men wearing distinctive black armor block your path. Four of them are armed with swords and shields, one has a bow and the last bears a mace and the trappings of a priest of Cyric. They're obviously Zhentarim - thuggish soldiers of Zhentil Keep.

Their leader calls out to you with a menacing grin.

"Well isn't this a surprise! Here we are looking for the rebel Morn, and we find six vagabonds ripe for a tax collection instead! Throw down your weapons and any magic on your persons. We don't want to hurt you any more than we have to."

"Not much more, anyway." responds another.

The swordsmen are about 30 feet away from you, and the cleric and archer are 15 feet behind them.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Doom of Daggerdale 3.5 (IC)

As was his norm, Jericho the 'Wolf of Tesh', was out about wolfing. He loped long strides, he would cross over the pass several times, back and forth, going wide and then back again, often he would be up front, and then, he would appear behind everyone, following them on the trail. Such were his ways the group was used to his traveling manner, when he was wolfing, he behaved like a wolf. Good or bad.

As they were stopped by the brigands on the bridge, he was on the left flank, and came to a halt, sitting down on his haunches he canted his head to the side regarding them through his wolf eyes. His tongue rolled out in a display that the group only knows as humor.

Spoiler
    Show

2 move actions to grow two claw attacks using Morphic weapons.

Jericho
    M NG Half-Orc, the Dalelands Barbarian 1/Druid 4/Warhsaper 1
    Level 6, Init 9, HP 49/49, Speed 40, 60 (in predator form)
    AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Stats Str 18, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Condition immune to stunning & critical hits
    Abilities Animal Devotion [1/1]
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-03-27 at 06:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

During the past few days of travel Delmuth and Chewy, his loyal Beagle he had for the past five years, had spent a great deal of time with Jericho trying to coordinate their movements so as to best not get in each others way when the three of them were scouting ahead, or behind the group as Jericho often seemed to do. He found the half-orc an honorable ally in this endeavor unlike some of his kin may have, and had spent a few successful hunts since the group sent out with "the wolf". And so as the group came across the group of Zhentarim he quickly scanned the area around them as he let his fist lie at his side, balled in a fist, signaling to the others that he saw no other enemies besides those before them. Besides this however he remains silent, knowing should he speak no doubt it would lead to bloodshed, and unlike animals or beasts, these were people before him. Some among them may have qualms with that, and so he remained silent, ready should a fight break out to jump into cover at a moments notice, however allowing the rest a chance to speak should they choose to speak to these highwaymen.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ready action to move into cover should a fight break out
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2024-03-27 at 08:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Animals, these people smelled like animals was all Udro thought of his new companions. Sure, they were good fighters, and the manimal called Jerico and the stenching mound Ganzaya was also a good old meat shield. But by all the gods of Mulhorand, they stank! Only the sorcerer and the dog had some Hygiene.

However, he had seen them in battle and simply chuckled at the threats from the Zhentarim.

In ancient Mulhorand he said outloud.

Reh' sha Maud Bahesh!

He then repeated in Common

Your words are ash in the wind

He moved a step behind and showed the Zhentarim his open hands.

I can drop my magic, if that's what you want

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Ho, friends! You make mistake, yes?" Ganzaya began with a grin, as if blissfully clueless to the danger the Zhents posed to them. "What good are tacks to you? Nails are stronger, yes?"

Drawing his greatsword, the Rashemi chuckled at his cunning wit!

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Ganzaya
    M CG Human (Rashemi) Ranger 3/Barb 2/Ftr1, Level 6, Init 2, HP 51/51, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort 8, Ref 5, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 6/1
    2handed, Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault (Fire) Greatsword+1 +11/+6 (2d6+7, 1d6(fire), 19-20/x2)
    Composite Longbow (40 arrows) +8/+3 (1d8+4, x3)
    Mithral Shirt +1 (+5 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 6
    Condition

Last edited by Cygnia; 2024-03-28 at 08:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

"Yeah? When I'm done with you, you'll wish you had bolted!"

"Stuff it, Williams. If this lot doesn't want to pay taxes, that would make them rebels. And if they're rebels, it would be our solemn duty to take their heads back to the Constable instead of camping out here waiting to be ambushed by Morn's Freedom Riders."

The Zhents draw their own swords and spread out slightly, while the archer steps to take cover behind a nearby tree.

The Zhentarim leader asks, with the air of someone who already knows what comes next, "So which is it going to be?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Udro smiles and eying the archer trying to get to better position whispers to Jericho

Wolfie, get ready for some archer meat

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I guess we can't ready actions right? If we can, then I'm readying Dimension Step to use it on me and Jericho to teleport next to their archer.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: Doom of Daggerdale 3.5 (IC)

Nanes-Il just stood with her arms folded across her chest while the bandits puffed theirs out, and her companions stood their ground. Her eyes darted from black-clad figure to figure, trying to size up the best thing to do in such a situation.

"I'm sorry, would you mind repeating the question? I couldn't hear you over all the overcompensation going on just a second ago."
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"It seems you've already made up your minds, eh?" Faurgar calls out to the Zhentarim leader. "You really should reconsider, though. If you raise your hands against us, it should be obvious that we can't let any of you live to report back to your Constable."

As he speaks, a night black figment in the shape of a panther appears at his side.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

'Wolfie' nodded in anticipation, his tongue lolling out his mouth.

Spoiler
    Show

Jericho
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

As the enemies began to spread out Delmuth did the same, making his way to cover as he readies his bow, an owl bear feathered arrow at the ready as he says in a voice that has a slight hint of annoyance and boredom. "You demand things like a bandit, from those who simply travel the road. You call random strangers rebels because they do not recognize your authority as you have shown no proof besides words. Words of a Zhent are often misleading. So either prove you are the local authorities or prepare to meet the hood." he says casually tilting his head enough for the hood of his greenish brown cloak to cover his head, hiding his face in shadows.

12. - Top - End - #12

"ENOUGH! The Zhentarim are the law in Daggerdale, and we'll prove it when we put you and your hood in a shallow grave!"

Dropping any pretense of a peaceful resolution, the Zhentarim let out a roar and charge!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

As the leader begins speaking the "Hood" is already on the move, dashing in the foiling keeping the leader within close range of him as he lets fly two arrows in quick succession, aiming for the mans left hand, and right shoulder.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move 10ft. to activate skirmish, trying to stay within 30ft. of the enemy for PBS to stay in effect as well while also staying in cover if at all possible. Behind a tree is enough for him

Standard Action Attack (1d20+12)[31] Damage (1d6+10)[14] + (2d6)[8] Skirmish Damage (+2 Str,+1 Magic bow, +1 PBS, +4 Favored enemy, +2 Skirmisher boots)
    Swift Action Activate Skirmisher boots to take 1 extra attack at full BAB (1d20+12)[28] Damage (1d6+10)[11] + (2d6)[7] Skirmish Damage

14. - Top - End - #14

"I'LL be the judge of that!" As the Zhents charge at the adventurers, Nanes-Il gestures and intones briefly, summons up magical energies with a ghastly bit of bone she's ripped from her pouch as the focus, and then extends her hands at the last known location of the Zhentish archer, and the priest.

Out of Character: Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting scare with the intention of frfrightening the priest and archer. ...then, stepping back about fifteen feet because she ain't no fool. It's a DC 17.
    I don't know how many HD these dudes've got, so I-I-I-I-I am going for broke, here. :'3
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

A frontal charge, it would be so easy to make them look silly with some greasy ground, but what fun would that be for Udro's smelly companions. Instead Udro teleports himself and Jericho next to the archer and the cleric.

Gone

Show
    Standard + Movement: Cast Dimension step to take me and Jericho next to the archer and the cleric. Udro comes within melee range of the cleric, and leaves Jericho to deal with the archer.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Faurgar is on the move before the Zhentarim leader finishes speaking. Unleashing a wordless roar, he charges straight at the centre of their formation. The pantherish figment races ahead, squeezing between the two soldiers in the middle moments before Faurgar is upon them, flail swinging in a mighty arc.

Show
    Dark companion moves so that it ends up adjacent to the two soldiers in the centre. (-2 penalty to their AC and saves)

Full-round action: Charge and attack the Zhentarim on Faurgar's right using Power Attack (-2 penalty to attack roll, +4 damage) and Brutal Strike (if target takes damage, he must pass a DC 14 Fort save or become sickened for 1 round).
    Attack: (1d20+10)[21]
    Bludgeoning damage: (1d10+9)[16]

Charge attack also activates Frightful Presence. All opponents within 30 feet with fewer HD or levels are shaken for (1d6+3)[9] rounds unless they pass a DC 16 Will save.

Possible inflicted conditions:
    Dark companion: -2 penalty to AC and saves.
    Shaken: -2 penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks and skill checks.
    Sickened: -2 penalty on attacks, weapon damage, saves, ability checks and skill checks.

17. - Top - End - #17

The taunts and overconfidence of the mercenaries costs them as they are too slow to react to the party's strikes. Both of the Hood's arrows find gaps in the lead fighter's armor, and he drops like a stone before his third step. Nanes-il casts her spell, and a wave of necromantic energy causes a sudden darkness to envelope the backline. The cleric grits his teeth and mutters a prayer to his god, while the archer's eyes widen in terror. He stumbles backwards, terrified of something only he can see.

Further confusion ensues when Udro and Jericho teleport into their ranks while Faurgar crashes into the frontline, wounding but not killing another Zhent. The mystic power of his charge shakes his target and another swordsman, while the remaining sword and the cleric are able to resist. Faurgar's opponent shakes off the sickening effects of his magic while preparing a counterattack.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2024-03-31 at 03:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Seeing that her spellwork was effective enough, Nanes-Il steps forward and sets her sights on the nearest and healthiest of the bandits. Exhibiting some preternatural control over the element of electricity, the Magician fires a bolt of lightning their way...

Out of Character: Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wanna throw a storm bolt at the least-wounded of the Zhentarim. I'd li~i~ike to fire it in such a way that no companions get hurt, though! 20-foot line.

Nanes-Il - Storm Bolt Attack (?) - Zhentarim Warrior: (1d20+5)[16]
    Nanes-Il - Storm Bolt Damage - Zhentarim Warrior: (3d6)[13]

Ranged Attack roll is there as a courtesy; while I saw nothing about them, I could be wrong...
    [/QUOTE]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ganzaya's companions were quick -- that much was certain.

Joyously, he charged into the fray himself, going after whichever unfortunate Zhent didn't have a dance partner yet. "Udro, I am bathing now, yes? Bathing in blood!" he cried out as he swung his greatsword.

Now, Ganzaya actually did have soap in his supplies and knew how to use it, but needling the fussy spellcaster was more fun.

Show

Whoever's still alive/not attack, Ganzaya is attacking. Ganzaya's AC afterward will be 11

Spirit Lion Totem Pounce w/Heedless Charge Power Attack (the penalty from PA applies to AC due to Heedless Charge)
    Pounce Charge to hit (1d20+13)[19]
    Dmg (2d6+19)[29] (+10 from 2H PA, +2 for Favored Enemy: humans)
    Dmg (fire) (1d6)[3] (from Lesser Energy Assault Crystal)

Full attack after Pounce
    (1d20+11)[20]
    Dmg (2d6+19)[24] (+10 from 2H PA, +2 for Favored Enemy: humans)
    Dmg (fire) (1d6)[6] (from Lesser Energy Assault Crystal)

(1d20+6)[16]
    Dmg (2d6+19)[26] (+10 from 2H PA, +2 for Favored Enemy: humans)
    Dmg (fire) (1d6)[6] (from Lesser Energy Assault Crystal)

Show

Ganzaya
    M CG Human (Rashemi) Ranger 3/Barb 2/Ftr1, Level 6, Init 2, HP 51/51, Speed 30
    2handed, Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault (Fire) Greatsword+1 +11/+6 (2d6+7, 1d6(fire), 19-20/x2)
    Condition

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Having been teleported, Jericho struck at the archer as Udro ported them near their targets.

Spoiler
    Show

Bite Attack - (1d20+11)[21]
    Bite Damage - (1d6+10)[16] [Magic]

Claw Attack 1 - (1d20+6)[20]
    Claw Damage 1 - (1d6+7)[11] [Magic]

Claw Attack 2 - (1d20+6)[18]
    Claw Damage 2 - (1d4+7)[10] [Magic]

Jericho
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #21

The party's assault continues, devastating the unprepared enemy. Jericho tears the terrified archer to pieces with his magical claws, while Ganzaya's opponent barely blocks his initial rush with his shield before taking a vicious wound from the backswing.

The cleric's prayers reach a crescendo. He cries out to Cyric and his shout is punctuated by an enormous boom, blasting Faurgar and Delmuth with a near-solid wave of sound. The remaining swords take advantage of the distraction and fight back. Williams, too injured to respond to Ganzaya's quips, nonetheless takes advantage of the opening left by his charge to deal an injury of his own. Faurgar easily fends off his opponent, while the last Zhent turns around to flank Udro with the cleric, drawing blood with a dishonorable attack from behind.

Show

Faurgar takes 6 sonic damage and must make a DC 15 Fort save or be stunned for 1 round
    Delmuth takes 6 sonic damage and must make a DC 15 Fort save or be stunned for 1 round
    Ganzaya takes 6 damage
    Udro takes 9 damage

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Delmuth knew the power of magic, and as he heard the cleric chanting, he realized the small error they had made leaving it unoccupied as a loud boom was heard, slamming into him. Snarling from the pain under his hood, Delmuth takes flight once more, moving through the brush until he has a shot at the cleric. Taking out another owlbear feathered arrow, he lets the arrow fly aiming for the priest's eyes. Hoping to blind the enemy to give his allies the advantage.

Show

Move Action moving, trying to stay in cover, to be within 30ft. of the priest
    Standard action to take a shot (1d20+12)[20] Damage (1d6+10)[11] + (2d6)[5] Skirmish Damage

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Having torn apart the archer in a sudden display of gore and viscera, Jericho blinked.

Why were the others not cowering in fear from him?
    he thought.

He would need to fix that.

Spoiler
    Show

Move closest to cleric and attack

Bite Attack - (1d20+11)[25]
    Bite Damage - (1d6+10)[14] [Magic]

Jericho
    Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 6
    Abilities Animal Devotion [1/1], belt of healing [3/3], anklets of translocation [2/2]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Oh the flame of the south did not fall easily!

Udro stepped five feet opposite to Jericho, flanking the Cryic follower and called the power of his heritage and but with a gentle touch brought fiery salvation to this infidel who did not follow the gods of Mulhorad!

Let's see what power does Cyric gives you!

Show
    5' step to flank
    Standard Combust! rejecting 1d6 damage from SA to steal a spell.

(1d20+5)[12] vs Touch AC (9d8)[39] + (1d6)[6] SA

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"'Tis a shame I will have to kill you," sighed Ganzaya with some regret. And pain. But there was regret, no doubt. He would have to remember that "bolt" joke. Of course, he did not wield a crossbow, so he doubted it would get the point across.

...ooh, that's funny too!

Again, another gleeful grin crossed the barbarian's face. No sense in wasting his rage here -- after all, they were merely Zhents. A brief wince of pain across his face marred the grin for a moment as he hefted his greatsword over head, then came down in heavy arcs on the hapless thug.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Full attack, no PA this time. AC back to 18

Attack 1 (1d20+11)[18]
    Dmg if hit (2d6+9)[14] (+2 for Favored Enemy: humans)
    Dmg (fire) (1d6)[4] (from Lesser Energy Assault Crystal)

Attack 2 (1d20+6)[7]
    Dmg if hit (2d6+9)[19] (+2 for Favored Enemy: humans)
    Dmg (fire) (1d6)[2] (from Lesser Energy Assault Crystal)

Show

Ganzaya
    M CG Human (Rashemi) Ranger 3/Barb 2/Ftr1, Level 6, Init 2, HP 45/51, Speed 30
    Condition

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Faurgar doesn't deign to join in the bravado banter of his companions. Instead, he batters away at the Zhent with silent determination, though he manages only a glancing blow.

Show
    Full-round action: Full attack against the same Zhent as before, no Power Attack or Brutal Strike.
    Attacks: (1d20+10)[20], (1d20+5)[6]
    Bludgeoning damage: (1d10+5)[15], (1d10+5)[12]

Target is affected by:
    Last edited by rax; 2024-04-03 at 12:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

The cleric's spell is answered in turn by arrows, claws and flame, killing him instantly. Faurgar strikes another blow against his foe who stumbles but does not fall. The sun gets in Ganzaya's eyes and he fails to connect through sheer bad luck, while Nanes-Il moves forward and blasts the last Zhentarim with lightning.

Desperate now, the remaining fighters counterattack. Ganzaya's and Faurgar's opponents both score hits. Udro slips out of the third Zhent's reach as he is blasted by Nanes-Il's lightning - he wheels around and charges, delivering a vicious blow!

Show

Faurgar takes 11 damage
    Ganzaya takes 8 damage
    Nanes-Il takes 11 damage

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

With the misses (and the fighter cutting into him AGAIN), Ganzaya was soon losing his cheerful, cherub-like demeanor. He felt his temples throb as the rage wanted to come out. But there were only three of these goons left. More importantly, they had lost their archer AND their whiny godbody leader. Surely, the rest of these accursed Zhents would fall to the might of GANZAYA~!

"Rrrr...you do not want to see me angry, friend!" Once more, the Rashemi swung his blade towards his foe...

Show

Full attack, no PA. AC 18
    Attack 1 (1d20+11)[18]
    Dmg if hit (2d6+9)[14] (+2 for Favored Enemy: humans)
    Dmg (fire) (1d6)[4] (from Lesser Energy Assault Crystal)
    Attack 2 (1d20+6)[17]
    Dmg if hit (2d6+9)[15] (+2 for Favored Enemy: humans)
    Dmg (fire) (1d6)[1] (from Lesser Energy Assault Crystal)

Show

Ganzaya
    M CG Human (Rashemi) Ranger 3/Barb 2/Ftr1, Level 6, Init 2, HP 37/51, Speed 30
    Condition

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Dont' you turn your back to me!

Udro screams as the warrior next to him charges his companions.

His hands make a gesture and a Fiery Burst explodes right behind the enemies attacking Nanes-Il

Spoiler: Fiery Burst
    Show
    Reflex save DC 15 (2d6)[3] fire damage

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Faurgar keeps up the assault on his foe, smashing him with a hard blow to the side of the head. The Zhent lurches back from the hit, just enough for Faurgar's follow up attack to go wide.

Show
    Full-round action: Full attack against the same Zhent as before, no Power Attack or Brutal Strike.
    If the Zhent drops, Faurgar's second attack will be against another soldier, assuming he can reach him with a 5-foot step. In that case, he will also direct his Dark Companion to cosy up to the target.
    Attacks: (1d20+10)[30], (1d20+5)[15]
    Bludgeoning damage: (1d10+5)[10], (1d10+5)[7]

Target is affected by:
    Last edited by rax; 2024-04-05 at 10:29 AM.