New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Can I persist spells on another player?

Hi,

I play a wizard and the dm gave an object removing all +spells level required by metamagic.
    So I can stack metamagic as much as I want.
    I would like to be a buffer.

Is there a way to apply spells with persist to other players?

By exemple,
    I cast Wind Wall with the following metamagics:
    ocular spell (to change to range to fixed)
    persist
    twin spell
    Repeat Spell

1) Is it something that is legal?

2) if question #1 is legal, since the range is now fixed, can I choose a spell with an range of touch like Heroism and still cast Repeat spell on it?

3) I would like to play a lot with illusion, is it somehow possible to make an illusion affected by persist?

Thanks for the information.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can I persist spells on another player?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhepna View Post
    Hi,

I play a wizard and the dm gave an object removing all +spells level required by metamagic.

Is there a way to apply spells with persist to other players?

By exemple,
    I cast Wind Wall with the following metamagics:
    ocular spell (to change to range to fixed)
    persist
    twin spell
    Repeat Spell

1) Is it something that is legal?

2) if question #1 is legal, since the range is now fixed, can I choose a spell with an range of touch like Heroism and still cast Repeat spell on it?

3) I would like to play a lot with illusion, is it somehow possible to make an illusion affected by persist?

Thanks for the information.
    1) Ocular spell is questionable RAW as it causes you to cast the spell twice: once into your eyes and next out of your eyes. It doesn't state that you cast the spell as a 0 ft effect into your eyes and thus would require DM approval just as much as touch spells qualifying for persistent spell. Reach Spell is much more RAW friendly and definitive as it can turn any touch spell into a 30 ft ray without complexity.

2) Reach spell would allow you to use repeat.

3) Reach spell can help with touch range illusions, while ghost sounds can be made permanent. I believe there are some evocation/conjuration spells with fixed ranges that I can't recall at the moment.

I would recommend you look at the War Weaver class from Heroes of Battle. With it's Eldritch Tapestry feature you'd be able to get a lot more value with each cast.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The DM gave you what?! What did you do, save their mom from a bear attack or something?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhepna View Post
    Hi,

Quicken is probably the way to go with that, rather than persist. Slam TWO buff spells a round, whatever ones you need. There's no RAW objection stuff it just works outright. Combine that with War Weaverr and you'll have some pretty bonkers stuff.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Incantatrix 3 can apply persistent spell to ongoing magical effects. Spellguard of Silverymoon 4 allows you to cast certain personal buffs on others.
    Using those together, you can unambiguously get what you want. This does take 7 levels, however (or 3 levels if your party members cast/activate items to get their own persistable spells going).

As others pointed out, free metamagic is ridiculously powerful.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

If you polymorph into a symbiont (as per fiend folio) and take the Assume Supernatural Ability[Share Spells] feat, any spell you cast can also affect your host.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thumbs down Re: Can I persist spells on another player?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    If you polymorph into a symbiont (as per fiend folio) and take the Assume Supernatural Ability[Share Spells] feat, any spell you cast can also affect your host.
    Good luck casting spells while your mouth is occupied sucking blood from your host as well as not being able to use the proper gestures because your host is moving around as well as your unfamiliar body shape.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nikorasuko View Post
    Good luck casting spells while your mouth is occupied sucking blood from your host as well as not being able to use the proper gestures because your host is moving around as well as your unfamiliar body shape.
    You'll need Silent Spell and Still Spell.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Cast Magic Jar. Possess your ally. Cast the persisted buff. Move onto the next ally. Repeat as needed.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fero View Post
    Cast Magic Jar. Possess your ally. Cast the persisted buff. Move onto the next ally. Repeat as needed.
    Depends on how your DM interprets the rules. You are still you regardless of the body you inhabit. Regardless, the spell says the body doesn't keep their spells or SLAs. It does not clarify that it doesn't also include their effects.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Incantatrix also gets Cooperative Metamagic, which can be used to apply Persistent to spells others are casting.