New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

smile A few questions about Sorcerer (newbie thread) D&D 3.5e/5e

Hello. I'm new to D&D and I'm about to have my first game session where I want to play a Sorcerer. My DM has given me permission to rethink this class a little bit, so that I can play more comfortably and everyone else can have more fun with me. As such, I am asking for your help. This is a very important question for me, so please answer it in as much detail as possible, with examples from lore and in a way that is understandable to a newbie. Thank you.

In D&D, a Sorcerer creates magic due to two mandatory conditions: innate power and access to the Weave. I would like to clarify, what does this "innate power" mean if isolated from the Weave? From your point of view, is it possible to rethink a Sorcerer as a mystic who will not have access to the Weave (and, as a result, unable to cast spells), and who will channel his innate power in some other way? For example, instead of casting spells, will he be able to create various non-magical effects (like Ki or Psionics) that do not require from him touching the Weave?

I'd like to play a Sorcerer who (like any Sorcerer) has an inner power, but because of an ancestral curse he doesn't have access to the Weave. Instead of spells, he transforms his inner power to materialize sort of "Spiritual Guardian" (like Soulbound Summoner in Pathfinder), and can weaken enemies by slightly lowering their combat stats. I know my DM doesn't mind introducing a storyline about a character who goes on adventures to break a curse and gain access to magic. But at the end, when he does find a way to get rid of the curse, because of a moral dilemma and the benefit to his allies he decides to deliberately give up his dream of becoming a powerful mage in favor of the powers he's used to.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: A few questions about Sorcerer (newbie thread) D&D 3.5e/5e

The weave is a setting specific thing, limited to Faerune/Forgotten Realms. But I shall proceed as if you are playing in that setting.
    It is the innate ability to bend the weave that results in a sorcerer's spells doing things. There is also a shadow weave and if you can access it, you are not subject to things like anti-magic zones. If you are playing 3.5, you might wind up becoming a binder instead of a sorcerer as your being cut off from the weave winds up connecting you to the things that should not exist but do.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The Player's Handbook discusses having a draconic ancestor as a possible reason for your innate magical ability. If you wish, you can reinforce this flavour through taking a racial option from the "Dragon Magic" books with the "Dragonblood" subtype or taking the "Draconic Heritage" feat, which allows access to some nice options for a Sorcerer.

In a similar vein, Dragon Compendium has a bunch of feats based off the idea that you had a magical ancestor from a variety of different sources, such as various elementals, fey, fiends, celestials, dragons, and so forth. Taking one of these feats also gives you bonus spells on your spell list themed around that bloodline type.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

In settings with the Weave, or something equivalent, it's generally taken as given that all magic is a manifestation of the Weave, somehow or other. Even if you have some internal wellspring of power, it's the Weave that lets you connect that power to the world and thereby use it to affect anything. But this is almost never relevant, because in settings with the Weave, it's also generally taken as given that the Weave will always be present (aside from occasional extremely rare situations like antimagic fields).

All that said, as long as you're not changing any of the mechanics, the rules encourage players to change the fluff on their abilities, and experienced DMs won't generally have any problem with it. Talk to your DM to be sure, but they'll probably be fine with what you're proposing.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

This sounds kind of like the karsites from Tome of Magic. A wizard called Karsus once tried to usurp the position of god of magic and became severed from magic entirely. Many people are distantly descended from Karsus, but some are born taking after him to an unusual degree, with mismatched eyes and a white streak in their hair. Usually they're humans, but a a variant rule allows elves and orcs with a human somewhere in their family tree.

Karsites can't cast arcane or divine spells, though they can still use spell-like abilities (see Warlock or Dragonfire Adept), and have no restriction on psionics or magic items. Many who are aware of their history also become Binders in order to bind the vestige of Karsus.

Also, take a look at the Hexblade class (Complete Warrior), a warrior who gets minor Sorcerer-style spellcasting related to cursing opponents. In particular their "Dark Companion" alternate class feature (Player's Handbook II) lets them project a pantherlike shape which debuffs enemies around it. Note that the class was left a bit undertuned, and the designer suggested some ways to improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mearls
    The hexblade suffers a little because he came on the scene relatively early in 3.5’s life. As R&D pushes the boundaries of the game, we learn that some things we thought were risky or potentially broken aren’t. Other times, we learn things that look fine don’t actually work in play. Armored mages fall into the first category. Them seem really powerful, but in the long run they aren’t. Spells and magic items allow an unarmored mage to build great defenses. The spell mage armor is as good as medium armor, and its duration allows most mages to keep it active at all times. If you compare the hexblade to the duskblade from PH 2, you can see how the thinking has changed. If you want to boost the hexblade, I’d try the following changes:
    • Good Fortitude save
    • Curse ability usable 1 + the hexblade’s Cha modifier per day
    • Curse ability usable as a swift action
    • Curse ability does not count as used if the target makes his saving throw
    • Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
    • At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster. He gains an additional use of this power at levels 8, 11, 14, and 18.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2024-04-20 at 12:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

OP it might be best to clarify whether you are playing 3.5e or 5e.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."