New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XX: XXX?

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    I‘ve heard rumors that life is complex.

and I seriously hope that no-one relies on a web comic as an information source on how (or not) to do drugs.

are you reading this comic like watching an 80‘s cartoon?

greetings from Captain Future and Co.:
    „Today I have learned a lesson: Don’t mix drugs, m‘kay?“

Edit: changed my avatar, felt like I was talking to myself while replying to Keltest
    I mean, we can look at this and find it distasteful without it literally trying to preach to us.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    A vice is not a crime, its a moral fault. We have not codified in law all moral faults.
    a moral fault?

just who is the victim here?

morality doesn’t come into play when only a single person (or creature) is effected. We‘ll have to leave it at that on this forum.

All my vices are devices.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

a moral fault?

just who is the victim here?

morality doesn’t come into play when only a single person (or creature) is effected. We‘ll have to leave it at that on this forum.

All my vices are devices.
    The victim in this case would be the partygoers. More broadly, a vice typically victimized primarily the person with the vice.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

God forbid a cast of adults make choices about their own lives with something that is relatively low impact in moderation.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

lol are we actually debating marijuana? Coming back here is like stepping back into the 2000s in more ways than one.

I don't mind the pacing at all, I just wanna watch quirky girls with Problems help each other with those Problems and also Marten is there.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    God forbid a cast of adults make choices about their own lives with something that is relatively low impact in moderation.
    I dont think people are especially calling out the responsible adult.

I think some people are concerned about the behavior of some of these people whose life recently been in a tailspin.

Personally i think its a crapshoot wether its good for them or not. But some here can think its genuinely unhealthy. You can believe that even if you acknowledge the other person's right to make choices for themselves.

7. - Top - End - #67

RedKnightGirl

That's a boring standard four-panel layout but at least he's playing with the camera angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    But also we have these pages where vice is fun and relatable and makes everyone super chill and makes it easy to have a good time.

You can see how one would get mixed messages from this comic, yeah?
    Not going to say QC is never hypocritical, but disapproving of severe alcoholism but being down for some recreational weed use at a party do not actually strike me as contradictory stances.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Where is this moderation? Willow was, apparently, on the verge of chugging vodka and taking all her clothes off before she got high, and Ayo and Liz are both just going as hard as they can to try and make what they think is a point.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

So what I'm hearing is that some of the content is questionable?

10. - Top - End - #70

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pax1138 View Post
    So what I'm hearing is that some of the content is questionable?
    never been truer.
    the purpose of the comic is finally fulfilled, the end time must be near
    * my emphasis

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thank you for asking the questions for us Clintion, even if this is going to be portrayed as rude and insensitive later, it gave us some worldbuilding and character definition and is pretty realistic as far as some questions ordinary folks would ask.

I do appreciate how the answers are answered. Like if an alien asked a layman about human biology I think you'd get answers that sound pretty similar.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you for asking the questions for us Clintion, even if this is going to be portrayed as rude and insensitive later, it gave us some worldbuilding and character definition and is pretty realistic as far as some questions ordinary folks would ask.

I do appreciate how the answers are answered. Like if an alien asked a layman about human biology I think you'd get answers that sound pretty similar.
    Broadly agreed. This strip is basically a series of lampshades that acknowledge the ridiculous monkey wrench Moray's existence throws into a huge range of technology-related questions regarding the QC setting while also making it clear that answers will not be forthcoming. Now, I personally don't think it's worth having to do that just so 'doofus goo-girl' can be a character in the comic, but you do you Jeph, you do you.

Would have been nice to get this a little closer to Moray's initial introduction though.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

13. - Top - End - #73
    Colossus in the Playground

I look at moray as basically a wifi bluetooth earbud of the director. There to move around and interact with the world in general and google translate back to it what she experiences. Its always connected to the main body and possibly controlled remotely by the multi tasking alien ai. I mention google translate for a reason as its not entirely accurate either way but is still better than randomly guessing when you cant understand something. So moray says strange stuff to us because its being translated through jellyfish language and thought processes, and its coming back translated from english to jellyfish which causes more confusion because its not quite properly done either way. Like a constant game of conversation telephone.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I look at moray as basically a wifi bluetooth earbud of the director. There to move around and interact with the world in general and google translate back to it what she experiences. Its always connected to the main body and possibly controlled remotely by the multi tasking alien ai. I mention google translate for a reason as its not entirely accurate either way but is still better than randomly guessing when you cant understand something. So moray says strange stuff to us because its being translated through jellyfish language and thought processes, and its coming back translated from english to jellyfish which causes more confusion because its not quite properly done either way. Like a constant game of conversation telephone.
    My impression was that the director buds off new morays whenever it feels like, and only hears back from them when it reabsorbs them, and that the moray we generally see is the only one that's been independent for a long while.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking of this concept where a supreme intelligent spawns extracts of itself to live, experience and learn, and then re-absorb it to benefit the whole intelligence.

Something like the Castoff of the Faceless God in Tides of Numeria. Or the Hist/Argonians of Elder scrolls.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I was thinking of this concept where a supreme intelligent spawns extracts of itself to live, experience and learn, and then re-absorb it to benefit the whole intelligence.

Something like the Castoff of the Faceless God in Tides of Numeria. Or the Hist/Argonians of Elder scrolls.
    PSmith from Buck Godot is a similar concept too - a hive mind of clones who has sent out thousands to explore the galaxy for the greater understanding of the being. Like the effects of binge drinking on telepaths 😁

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why are we alternating between conversations I'm interested in and literally nothing?

18. - Top - End - #78

SwashbucklerGuy

Why are we alternating between conversations I'm interested in and literally nothing?
    90/90 rule:
    make 90% of the readers happy 90% of the time.

you are stuck in the other 10%.
    * my emphasis

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

90/90 rule:
    make 90% of the readers happy 90% of the time.

you are stuck in the other 10%.
    You also have to apply the Patreon principle: only the patreons matter, everyone else is irrelevant. QC could well have millions of readers, but only the opinions of the 17470 people who have agreed to pay Jeph money every month actually matter.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    You also have to apply the Patreon principle: only the patreons matter, everyone else is irrelevant. QC could well have millions of readers, but only the opinions of the 17470 people who have agreed to pay Jeph money every month actually matter.
    Since that represents at minimum a 17k$ income per month, i cant criticize his priority.

Man's gotta secure his livehood.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Dr McNinja, may it rest in peace.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #82

MindFlayer

Awe and Wonder. Would have been another good, but misleading, thread title.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kil'n People by David Brin is a good recent examination of a similar idea as applied to everyday people.

It also reminds me somewhat of the Frants in Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear. There it's more a specieswide thing; whenever two Frants meet they absorb each other's experiences, so eventually all Frants know whatever any of them knows.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Claire be nice to your brother. He's not doing anything wrong.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

There's a minor gripe here that Clinton is so obsessed with Cubetown that he knows who Liz Applebloom is - a low-level Researcher who hasn't published anything since her dissertation in a non-AI related field over 2 years ago, and has been actively shunning other sentient company to live in a basement - but he didn't look up who the HR Director was, a feat that can be instantly googled. It kind of makes Clinton look either like a weirdo, or a dumbass, or possibly both.

But you know what? It's fine. Clinton, the AI geek, is geeking out over an AI. That's good. It's almost like he has some characterisation again.

A few hard-core snarks on Reddit have complained about Moray not knowing how her own body works, but I think that's being unfair. I don't know how my body works either, I just push food into one end and presumably it makes its own arrangements.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Claire be nice to your brother. He's not doing anything wrong.
    He's hogging her phone. Thats kind of wrong.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I mean sure, but does she need to make a call right now or anything?

Besides that I don't think we've ever been given a good reason why Claire is embarrassed by her brother. Is it that he's passionate? Is it because he's a nerd?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I mean sure, but does she need to make a call right now or anything?

Besides that I don't think we've ever been given a good reason why Claire is embarrassed by her brother. Is it that he's passionate? Is it because he's a nerd?
    He's gotten better about it, but at the time he was introduced he was certainly socially inept.

Anyway, the whole group was on a video call with Moray, so him wandering off with the phone was probably not appreciated.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

He very recently made a social situation awkward by unknowingly, indirectly bringing up a sensitive topic. When informed of his faux pas he decided to remedy it by knowingly, directly bringing up the sensitive topic. When Claire suggested that might not be the best idea he took it as a personal attack.

It turned out okay but I'm 100% on her side there.

Edit: Also the questions he's asking are... definitely rude. The kind of questions parents teach children not to ask so directly of someone they just met. Obviously Moray doesn't mind but that's just Clinton getting lucky that she's more chill with his prying than Hannelore was.

On the other hand, Claire was perfectly fine with group drunk-calling her new boss('s avatar) so she's kind of just reaping what she sowed.
    Last edited by TigerHunter; 2024-05-19 at 11:10 AM.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!