New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Escape from Castle Amber - IC

Sword in hand, Tyz leads the group down the very long hallway, with Duran lending some support to Rhys and Jonah hefting the sheet-covered body of Erelith. As the five reach the doorway to the garden, there is one change. The rift that had formed in the hillside to the group's left, from which the goat-headed man and the wolf-riders emerged, has disappeared, and the grassy hill seems unbroken again. However, the cut and scorched remains of several wolves, wolf-men and the goat-headed man still litter the ground to their left.

A path leads diagonally off to the right (this is the path that Rhys came from), and a set of grand domes arch overhead. The trees are tall, dark and ominous, with especially dense clump to the right of the path.

Rhys:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rhys remembers that, not far down the path, there are several trees that seem to grab at you as you pass. He has been able to run past them before. Now...he's not so sure he can move as fast.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 19/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

Oberon somberly accompanies the others. When he notices things seem to have changed, he scowls and looks around with a bit more intensity. "What is real here? It is similar to fae lands, but without the style," he adds with a smirk. "Where do we wish to put Erelith? Shall I blast him a grave?" the faetouched asks as eldritch energies swirl around his fingertips.

Spoiler
    Show
    Neat! On the UCP page it showed this post had 360 replies and 3600 views! I love symmetry!
    Ring of Four Winds: 2 charges remaining.
    Gloves of Eldritch Admixture: 0 charges remaining.
    Healing Belt: 3 charges remaining.

Active Effects: See the Unseen (see invisiblity & darkvision 60'); Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tyz

As good a place as any I suppose. Fire away. Tyzs eyes shift over the strange landscape, waiting for the next monster to appear. He keeps his sword drawn and starts muttering to himself.

4. - Top - End - #364

Duran sighs as the conversation continues. "Do we make a fire pit or a grave? If the latter, I can make him a headstone from any large rocks we find here."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jonah sets the body down beside the entrance.

Well, given how much he liked fire, a fire pit sounds about right. And I don't know if he'd be picky about where the fire came from.

He glances at the crackling energy in Oberon's hands.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    He glances at the crackling energy in Oberon's hands.
    Is this where I make like the Emperor? So be it... Jedi!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhys

Staggering along queasily after the group, Rhys looks uneasily in the direction we're headed.

Guys, let's be careful. There are some twisted sort of trees up ahead that tried to grab at me last time I came this way. I got away last time, but I don't know that I could do it now.

Spoiler
    Show
    And I smell bad now from being sick I'm sure the heal check would let him notice that.

8. - Top - End - #368

Tyz

The trees here be evil? Well a lad back home always told me... When in doubt set it on fire. The halfing cackles with malice. We can put Erilith in the midst and he'll have his pyre. Two rubes one stone.
    Last edited by North; 2008-05-11 at 12:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show

The faetouched shakes his head. "I'll not set fire to a mansion in it's own dimension, or whatever--wherever this place is." He moves to a clear area nearby and readies to dig a grave for their fallen friend. "Good spot?" he asks.

Spoiler
    Show

Active Effects: See the Unseen (see invisiblity & darkvision 60'); Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-05-13 at 04:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The digging goes remarkably quickly, and the earth is rich and - as far as they can tell - goes quite deep. After about an hour, the deed is done, and the earth replaced.

There are ominous creakings from time to time among the trees, and once, for a time, there was a distant sound of a woman's voice singing wordlessly in the forest. Between them, Jonah and Oberon are familiar with quite a few songs of the fey and forest - but are not familiar with this particular sound.

11. - Top - End - #371

Tyz

As they begin to set their long time friends body into his earthen tomb Tyz coughs and starts to speak. Er.. I dont like saying this... but were stuck in hostile territory and thats a lot of magic to be burying. I dont think Erilith would want us to toss away an edge, just so he can be accessorizes fancy to meet the gods.Tyz coughs again.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhys

Rhys shrugs.

I did not know the man. It is up to you to determine what is appropriate.

He finds a convenient rock to sit on, winded by his feeble attempts to help with the digging.

At least I don't seem to be getting any worse. Could this day get any worse? Oh, no, I shouldn't have even thought that.

13. - Top - End - #373

Duran sighs at Tyz's words. "The halfling is right. He'd want us to survive this, and if that meant using his gear, I think he'd gladly give it. Come, I'll help take what we need." Duran goes about stripping the corpse of its magical gear, as respectfully as he is able.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As they have done so many times in the past, Rhys' own thoughts prove his undoing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for the reminder: A second fortitude save against the poison, please.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude (1d20+3)[7]

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    And another two points of strength damage for the wizard! Perhaps a rest is in order?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show

The faetouched shifts Rhys' weight as the man slumps a little further. "Perhaps we should rest until DuranDuran can remove Rhys' malady?" He asks with a touch of concern in his voice. "Shall we rest here, or move to the hallway and find another room?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Good plan.

18. - Top - End - #378

Tyz

Well Im still rarin' to fight.... but I spose a nap wouldn hurt either. I dont much like the idea of settlin down out here. The dead guy said we might be welcome in that Janet room, course he was a despicable lying wretch. Tyz pauses in thought. Course if she is bad, we can just kill her and take her room. Problem solved.the halfling surmises. We'll just have to lure her out of the room to gut her, unless the rest of you mind bedding down with corpsegut on the bed? he shrugs with apparant indifference to the idea.
    Last edited by North; 2008-05-21 at 02:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show

Oberon stares at the halfling for a moment. "Um...No. I am not sleeping in corpsegut." he says a thin smile warring with disgust. "Anyway we can barricade the entrance and rest in here?"

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380

Duran sighs and says, "Methinks it best to rest as well, but I'm not sure where the best place would be. I've a bedroll, so what we sleep on is not a factor for me. We could find a room, barricade the door, and hope for the best--one entrance to defend, but if we need to escape we have no options. On the other hand, an open space like this is open to attack from multiple directions. But, we can escape in multiple directions too."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhys

Rhys sways and sags gratefully against the support given. He smiles weakly.

Right now, I'm not all that picky about where we rest as long as we do. Well, ok, I'd prefer somewhere not too far from this spot if possible.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jonah

Still digesting his delicious-but-capricious meal, Jonah adds.

Okay, so that's no to sleeping in the spider room, or Janet's room. I really don't like the idea of sleeping surrounded by dozens of yapping ghosts, or golden men punching each other.

He stops, turning to Rhys.

Ah...tell you later.

What if we go right back to the entrance area we started in. If we get interrupted by new arrivals, at least we'll know that there are new arrivals. And as Mr. Rhys seems to indicate, they're as likely to be allies as enemies.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show

Oberon nods assent. "Sounds good. Let's go!" he says as he shifts Rhys once more and helps him back to the foyer.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Half-carrying the stumbling Rhys, the group makes its way back along the long, long hallway.

They are perhaps startled to see that not only have the remains of the aranea been removed from the hallway, but all trace of his (rather extensive) bleeding has been removed from the red carpet. The door to the spiders' bedchamber has been closed, although it still has Oberon's large blast hole in it. As they get closer, it's easy for Duran to see that the room beyond has not been disturbed - there are still signs of the struggle, and the dead spider is still sprawled at the far end of the room.

The entrance chamber is still as opulent and bare as the group left it. Outside, the grey mist still threatens, or beckons, according to their mood. Smokeless candles still dance in lantern sconces, and there is the faint noise of boxing going on from behind the closed door to Jean-Louis' room.

25. - Top - End - #385

Tyz

Tyz frowns, grumbles and gripes the trip back to the opening room. I suppose we should take turns on watch then? I can take the middle one then. Naps suit me better anyways. Tyz unpacks his sleeping gear and blanket and takes off his armor to get ready to sleep. As he lies down he keeps his sword close beside himself.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The group sleeps in shifts through the next few hours. The brightly lit chamber and the discomfiting proximity of the fog aren't conducive to long and restful sleep, but after an undetermined time, everyone feels about as rested as they're likely to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone regains 5 hp. Although Duran is no longer clear on what time of day it is, he senses that he will be able to pray for his spells.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What about the effects of the poison?

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Rhys will recover 1 point of strength per day on his own.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ouch, 5 pts down. Did I get sufficiently good rest to have memorized spells?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 22/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

The faetouched flings his head to both sides, popping the cricks in his neck. "Well. I can't say much for the accomodations, but at least it served its purpose. Everyone improved, non?" he inquires of his friends.

Spoiler
    Show