New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Adventurers' Guild Team Badger IC

The mists of a cool morning in early spring burn away as the bright southern sun rises over the towers and minarets of East Bridgeport. Every day is Market Day in this thriving city, and a myriad of sights, sounds, and smells delight the senses. The smells of fresh bread and today's catch of fish mingle pleasantly. Merchants in booths sell olive oil, wine, cloth, and spices, while farmers sell produce out of their carts as their oxen stand patiently, chewing their cud. A young halfling goes from door to door, struggling with his wheelbarrow piled high with squares of peat, but smiling as coins from each door clink into his purse. At one corner, a street vendor shaves the first savory slices of meat from a kebab for a group of dwarven lumberjacks who are too hungry to pay any mind to the playful catcalls from a pair of gnome sailors. A few tall soldiers patrol the streets, watchful but still relaxed, as there is rarely trouble in this part of town. Always, there is the cry of the gulls and, if one listens carefully, the soft sound of the waves in the harbor.
    The cobblestone streets are busy, as is the huge bridge that spans the Timber River over to West Bridgeport, the less affluent but older side of town known especially for the rich culture of the many halflings who have lived there for centuries. A few young boys fish from the bank next to the small piers where shirtless laborers hustle dwarven goods off of river barges. Curiously, a motley group of five adults (you) are standing on the riverbank beneath the overhang of the great bridge, somewhat awkwardly making small talk or absent-mindedly skipping stones, as if they are waiting for something.
    A few minutes pass, then a wizened halfling can be seen gingerly making his way down to the riverbank where the five stand. He is clothed in religious-looking robes and wears a silver medallion that appears to be in the form of a horse rampant on his chest. His eyes sparkle beneath bushy eyebrows as his face wrinkles into a broad smile.

Eldon
    "Ah, excellent! I see the bards have spread the word of our little venture far and wide indeed! I am Father Eldon Highburrow, one of the founding members of the Adventurers' Guild. Please, follow me -- we can talk as we go, but all your questions will be answered once we arrive at our Guildhall."

Spoiler
    Show
    I suggest roleplaying following him through a maze of streets on the way to the guildhall, and take this time for the characters to get to know each other, because we'll talk all about the guild once you get there. Feel free to be creative if you want to describe the area you're walking through; if something is completely out of line with the idea I have of this city we can always edit it. I think I mentioned before, Istanbul is one of my inspirations for Bridgeport.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Badger IC

Aulric (calling DarkSlateGray)

Running a calloused hand over his shaved head, Aulric peers about him with grey-blue eyes, taking in both the streets as well as the fellows gathered nearby. His dusty pack at his feet and his shield propped against his leg, he leans against a barrel and rests a forearm over the head of his large warhammer. His burgundy and silver robes hidden his chain shirt are dirt-scoured, his thick boots faded and worn from his travels.

To Erutaron, he says, "Well, friend, we have arrived, it would seem. I must admit I've not been this far south in my wanderings." He lifts his head and sniffs the strong ocean air. "Know you aught of this city, and this "Adventurers' Guild" you've suggested we look into?"

While waiting on a response, Aulric spies a venerable halfling making his way towards them, smiling kindly at the group. Aulric stands straighter and listens attentively to Father Eldon speak.

"Morrow's strength be upon thee, Father. I thank you for your guidance and your welcome."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion to identify what god he serves based on his holy symbol: (1d20+4)[8] . If this doesn't come through because of the edit, I rolled an 8.
    Last edited by Rafe; 2007-12-18 at 10:54 AM.
    "When two tigers fight, one will lose." -- Chinese proverb

Characters in Games:
    Gaimon Tarn, Human Dark Jedi | Second Golden Age of the Sith
    Brek Sorath, Dashade Soldier | Dawn of Defiance

3. - Top - End - #3

Eldon

"...and may Ehlonna bless you, my brother. Come quickly now, please! We don't want our guild to attract too much attention just now." Eldon quickly minces up the riverbank and back to the cobblestone streets.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aulric fails his knowledge check. He has no idea what god that holy symbol represents. Perhaps it is just a random piece of "bling" the old gaffer is fond of.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian breathes deeply, savoring the strong ocean air that contrasts so strongly to the only other air he can remember. He is glad to be free of the solitude of the mountains and happy to be back at the place of his birth.

Ah yes, thank you sir. I cannot wait to see the guildhall of the Adventurer's guild that comes so highly recommended.

He smiles and leans against a tall, black building behind him, seemingly relaxing every muscle in his body at the same time. Of course, he is not as relaxed as he seems, as one can see his eyes constantly scanning the crowd for anything that might catch his eye (dangerous or not).
    Fun fact: My school gets the first day of buck season off.

Thanks to Sneak for the awesome, dual-wielding avatar

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick (Human/Bard): (claiming DeepSkyBlue)

As Dravick heads through his beloved city towards the meeting place under the bridge, he is mildly distracted by the cool day and the fine citizens of his town. He strolls steadily, and purposefully for his destination but he does not head there in any rush. He knows this city well, and as he enters the Market District in East Bridgeport he is welcomed by familiar scents and scenes. Almost mindlessly, he begins to hum the tune of a ballad about the founding, history and grandeur of Bridgeport, and by the time he reaches the riverbank wher the meeting is to take place he has begun to whistle pleasantly. He arrives early for the meeting, but he sees that he is not the first one there. He immediately notices two large men who seem to know each other standing, waiting, and talking. Both of them are well armed and he has no doubt that they are there for the same reason as he is. He sees another man who is leaned against the wall and appears to be relaxing, physically at least, but as his Dravick notices the way his eyes are keenly observing the situation, he realizes that he is likely here to join the Adventurer's Guild as well.

As he walks up, Dravick overhears the large bald man asking his fierce looking companion about tale of bridgeport. Dravick is intrigued by the pair and the stories that they could undoubtedly share. He decides to introduce himself to them but before he has a chance to, a halfling in priestly garments approaches the group and introduces himself to them all. Dravick listens to the halflings greeting and his mind strays to the adventures he will have and the tales he will absorb. He responds cheerfully to the halfling, Well met Father, I look forward to joining the guild.

At this point, Dravick notices a lanky girl who seems too tall for her age, and realizes that she too might be joining the guild. He wonders why a girl of her young age would want to join the Adventurer's Guild but decides that whatever reasons she has are her's and her's alone.

As Dravick follows Father Eldon through the maze-like streets of Bridgeport, he decides to introduce himself to the large bald man and his friend. I couldn't help but overhear that you are new to the city. My name is Dravick, and I am quite familiar with this city, I have lived here long enough to call this city home. If there is anything you need I can help you find it. He flashes a friendly smile but doesn't press the issue and continues to follow the halfling while awaiting a response from either of the two men.

Before they walk more than a block he has resumed quitely humming the same tune that had caught his imagination earlier, and enjoys the walk to the Adventurer's Guild.
    Last edited by Thymin; 2007-12-18 at 08:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, Human Cleric

Aulric 'hmms' softly at Father Eldon's reply. I've been apart from the world too long, it would seem, to not recognize the sigil of Ehlonna. I pray my hammer-hand is not as rusty as my memory...

The warrior priest turns his tanned and weathered face towards Dravick and nods amiably. "I am Aulric, a cleric of Morrow. Well met. Indeed you heard right - my friend and I are curious of this place. I have never been this far south. I am used to the northern lands, foothills and mountains. Do you call Bridgeport home?"

As they walk, Aulric eyes the towering buildings and finds himself amazed by the activity and pace of the city streets. "Where I hail from--" Avoiding a fishmonger, the bald man shakes his head and raises an eyebrow. "--I am unused to such activity. I'm more at home on campaign, or amongst the purposeful folk of trade towns." He settles his pack more comfortably across his mailed shoulders and, with his hand on the strap, secures across his pack his rounded shield to keep it from errantly striking a passer-by.

Trekking along, Aulric glances at his other companions, wondering at their circumstances. They seem right capable, regardless of the cut of their cloth, he thinks.
    Last edited by Rafe; 2007-12-18 at 08:15 PM.

Characters in Games:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian Oron (Human Ranger)

Surien stands up straight and walks along with the companions, smiling in appreciation of how well equipped each one seems to be. He nods knowingly at Aulric's comment.

Yes, I come from a similar situation. Although I was born in this fine city, I have lived the bulk of my life near the eastern mountains. This hustle and bustle is a far cry from the hilly forests I was raised in. But I feel that I could definitely grow fond of the company one can find in the city. It is good to get away from the solitude I knew during my days in the mountains.
    Last edited by dual_wielder; 2007-12-18 at 09:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aurlic, Human Cleric

Aulric pauses a moment in his stride and gazes intently at Surian. "What be your name, friend? I feel as though these eyes have seen you before. The eastern mountains... Were you, perchance, involved in the Winter Wars of five years past, serving Lord Galmund of Ellund? At that time, I marched with the dwarven hosts of Thane Signur to reinforce Galmund's retreat into the snowy passes. It seems that I knew you then as a pathfinder for those good folk. Such a harsh winter that brought the wolves and orcs upon that small fiefdom..." The bald priest runs his rough hand over his scalp and grunts, remembering. "A harsh winter."

With an apologetic shrug, Aulric says, "Ah me. I'm sorry, wayfinder. Hard times leave hard trails in one's mind. What was it you were saying about this lofty city?"
    Last edited by Rafe; 2007-12-18 at 10:07 PM.

Characters in Games:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian's eyes drop to the ground, and his smile fades. He seems lost in thought for a moment before responding.

My name is Surian, and aye, I fought the Orcs that winter. I fought the Orcs for many winters. Those were some sad days weren't they my friend? The deepest cold I have ever felt. And you are right, I did serve as a pathfinder and militia man. I am not afraid to admit how glad I am to be rid of that place. I feel, however, that it will always be a part of me. Perhaps that is why I joined this guild. To forget. What a sad affair.

Surian sighs deeply, and rolls his shoulders to work a kink that had been forming. He looks at Aulric and smiles, but the smile still shows a hint of sadness.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick (Human/Bard):

I am not a native of this city, replies Dravick to Aulric's question but I have spent enough years now to call this city my home. I was raised in the western frontier but the call of the city and civilization brought me here several years ago. This city is quite large, yet there are few parts that I have not wandered at least once. I will likely consider this city my home for the rest of my days, yet I do feel the urge to go out into the wilderness again and live some adventures.

As he continues to follow the group to the Adventurer's Guild hall, Dravick listens to the conversation between the bald cleric and the pathfinder. His first guess seems to have been correct, these people would have many stories to share.
    Last edited by Thymin; 2007-12-18 at 11:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Eldon
    "Ah, here we are!" Eldon stops at an iron gate and opens it. A flagstone path of about a hundred feet cuts through an overgrown garden of bushes and small trees to the entry of a large house, which looks as though it could have once belonged to a very wealthy family, but where fine roof tiles and intricately carved shutters are missing, they have been replaced by mismatching cheap substitutes. Eldon opens the double doors. "Please, come in."

You step into a foyer that stretches across the front of the house. There is a stairway going up on each end, and to your front you are separated from another room by strings of glass beads hanging from a wide double doorway. From the other doorway in the foyer, next to the staircase on the right, comes a large, well-muscled man, followed by a frowning, middle-aged gnome with spectacles pushed down on his nose. A stout human woman and a wide-eyed boy who looks to be about nine stand on the stairs to the right.

Bruce
    "Well met, well met!" booms the man jovially. He has lost most of his hair, and his right eye socket is scarred shut. He is wearing riding boots and breeches with a loose, embroidered shirt, and has a short sword on his belt. "Welcome to the Adventurers' Guildhall. I am the so-called 'guildmaster,' but please call me Bruce. Eldon and I founded this guild along with Lankin here, who knows a good business opportunity when he sees one! Lankin is our quartermaster - he has made agreements with several merchants in town to give us discount prices, provided you adventurers go through him for all your equipment needs." Lankin nods in agreement. The woman on the steps coughs. "Oh, and of course," says Bruce, "this is my wife Elga and our son Brelgan. The three of us live upstairs on this side of the house, so I'd appreciate it if you will respect our privacy. You are of course welcome to use the Library behind me. Now, let me show you where you'll be staying."

Up the stairs on the left side of the house is a large room, the ceiling slanted to the pitch of the roof, with narrow windows. The room is jammed full of bunkbeds and wooden chests. A few of the beds have bedrolls on them with the closest chests closed and locked. Under each bunkbed is a battered tin chamberpot. A curtain is pulled across the end of the room closest to the street, hiding a few of the bunkbeds from view. On the opposite wall is a fireplace, presumably sharing a chimney with the fireplace in the common room below. A smallish man who looks to be in his thirties is snoring on the bottom bunk closest to the unlit fireplace, a heavy crossbow next to his chamberpot. "This is where you'll be staying, unless you have a home in Bridgeport and you'd rather stay there, as Eldon and Lankin do," says Bruce in hushed tones. "We have a few other Adventurers who live here, but I doubt you'll see any of them for a few days. Bil here is our night guard. Dependable as a rock, but not very sociable. I suppose the job suits him well." He leads you back down to the foyer.

Bruce then pushes through the strings of beads opposite the main entrance and leads you into the largest room in the house. There is a fireplace at the far end, a bar to the left with barstools, and behind the bar is a large dumbwaiter and a door to the back of the property. A few pathetic-looking hunting trophies and unimpressive weapons are mounted high on the walls. A comely young woman with dark hair and well-toned arms, wearing a simple undyed woolen dress, is taking chairs down from atop the several tables in the room. "This is our Common Room," says Bruce. The kitchen and storage rooms are below us, but the stairs down to them are just outside. Ana is here during the days and evenings, but she lives with her brother and his wife just a block away. She does not speak, but she listens well, and that's a good quality in a barmaid in my book!" Ana smiles prettily, then Bruce leads you outside, quietly muttering, "A good quality in any woman, for that matter..." Ana raises an eyebrow as evidence that she has a keen ear indeed.

In the back yard there is a stone patio, and cellar doors that are unlocked and open, revealing brown-stained stone steps leading under the house. Stacks of firewood, a well, and a small stable are closeby. The iron fence that runs around the property has a small gate in the back that opens to an alley, with a large stone jar sitting outside the gate. A cart drawn by a mule stops at the gate, and a miserable-looking teenage boy hops from the back. He swaps the jar with an identical one from the cart and climbs back in. The driver of the cart is an older man smoking a pipe. Bruce cries, "Hallo, Merrill!" The man turns to face you and bows his head, removes his soft leather cap and waves it with a flourish, as if he were a courtier saluting his king. He then gives a shake to the reins and the mule plods forward to the next house.

As you turn back to face Bruce, Lankin comes up the steps with padlocks and keys and begins to silently hand one to each of you. The padlocks match those that were on some of the chests in the Bunkroom upstairs.

"Merrill is a fellow guildmaster, believe it or not," says Bruce. He got fed up with some of the Council's decisions a few months ago, and stopped dung collection throughout Bridgeport until he got his own guild! My, that was a smelly three weeks! I know it sounds ridiculous, but the Doge, the Marshal, and many of the priests supported him, what with the way some of the guilds have been behaving. Turned out well for us, because you can thank Merill for our own guild status - his was the deciding vote! I don't need to tell you that the idea of an Adventurer's Guild was not a popular one, but you know what they say: Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. And politicians desperate for a shift in the balance of power created the perfect opportunity for me to spend my pension on this little venture. Oh, that boy on the cart is Quinn - I'm afraid he's a bit of a delinquent, but ever since they put him in Merrill's charge he seems to have mended his ways."

"Well, like I said, down those steps are the kitchen and stores, and that's about it. I'm going to go help Eldon finish drawing up your contracts. In case the bards didn't mention it - they usually gloss over details like this - we'll provide your room and board, ammunition and a few other supplies, stabling for your animals, and all the ale you care to drink! In return we ask that you not do anything to give the guild a bad reputation - we've enough enemies as it is - and we'll need fifty percent of your profits until we recover our start-up costs, at which time we can renegotiate your contracts. Oh, and Father Eldon will provide his services free of charge whenever he's at the guildhall, which is most days. Take some time to explore, get settled in if you'll be staying with us, and ask anyone any questions you have. Ana has some eggs and salted pork - and ale if you want it this early - waiting for you in the Common Room."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, Human Cleric

The priest listens as Bruce gives the introductions and provides a tour of the premises. His attention wanders when a library is mentioned, and when the common room is shown.

"I thank you, Bruce, for welcoming us. I will settle in and stow my things. When the contracts have been readied, you will find me in the library or common room, I'm sure." Aulric bows his head and clasps arms with the brawny, scarred man.

----

In their room, Aulric moves as softly as he can so as not to wake Bil, though subtle movement is no friend of his. He chooses a chest and a lower bunk, placing his pack in the chest and locking it. Keeping his shield and hammer, the warrior priest finds a place to wash his face, neck and hands and strides back downstairs, to the common room for a meal.

He and Erutaron have not eaten in some time, and what they had was poor fare by these standards. The cleric clasps his hands in anticipation and settles down at a rough-hewn table near the fire. Using a stiff-bristled brush, he begins to scour some of the stains of the road from his robes, boots and mail into the fire grate as he waits for his other companions and food.

Fine enough place, this, he thinks, casting his stern eyes about the cosy room. As good a way as any to get my mind and body re-acquainted with the business of war.

Characters in Games:

13. - Top - End - #13

Ana gracefully opens the back door while balancing plates of hot food, which she then places on the bar.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick (human/bard):

As Dravick follows Bruce through the house on the tour he finds himself thinking about all of the adventures that he and his companions will partake in. The Bunkroom reminds him of a much larger version of some of the trappers huts that he had spend nights in with his father. The vivid memory of his father brought many feelings to Dravick's mind. He felt at once a deep sadness over the death of his father, and at the same time an uplifting calm that he would be returning, at least in some ways, to the type of life he had lived with his father. He felt as if he was doing right by his father by joining the guild and knew immediatley that he would move here from his tenement housing on the East side of town, and live with his companions.

As he follows Bruce downstairs, and into the common room, he finds himself thinking about the comraderie and the fun that will be had here. He thought about the friendships, forged over the fires of battle and quenched in the tankards of ale consumed thereafter. This place suits me well, he thought. I will stay here awhile.

At the end of the tour, he says to Bruce, "Thank you sir, for your hospitality, and I will accept your offer. I look forward to the opportunities that we can offer each other, and mostly the adventures that we will all share through your work in putting together this guild."

Dravick then takes his lock upstairs and chooses the chest for the bunk immediately across from the one Aulric is putting his things into. Dravick takes the time to remove his leather armor, and deposits it along with his waterskin, and quiver of arrows into the chest and locks it, tucking the key neatly away into a pocket inside his cloak. He then places his shortbow on top of the top bunk. This should be safe enough here, if there are any dishonest members joining the guild it would be best to find out about them sooner rather than later.

He then goes downstairs to get some food, and arrives just in time to see Ana placing the food at the bar. He puts some food on a plate and sits at a table at the side of the room to eat. Placing his lute across from him on the table, he sits with his back to the wall. When he finishes his meal, he picks up his lute and begins to strum gently on in, in pleasant melodic tones. I will write a song about this he thinks to himself, It may be the beginning of something bigger than it now seems, and I am here to witness it all first hand. He smiles at noone in particular and leans back in his chair, playing his lute and taking in everything that is going on with the rest of the people in this strange group of adventurer's that he is looking forward to meeting.

Today is a good day.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian takes in every detail of the large manor, smiling more and more as the tour continues. He was never much of a reader, so the library does not particularly catch his attention. He was also not overly fond of material wealth (although he does appreciate the value of a gold piece), so the talks of loot and profit and contracts did not get him excited. However, the though of a good, hot meal without having to shoot and prepare it himself sets his mind and stomach on fire. He takes the lock politely, bows to and thanks Bruce, and heads upstairs. He places his bow and quiver on the bunk to the right of Aulric, and places the rest of his belongings inside the trunk.

When he reaches the kitchen and sees the food on the bar, he grabs a plate and piles it high before sitting down next to Aulric.

A wandering man could get used to these kind of accomadations, eh my friend? A warm bed, a warm meal, and a little bit of danger on the weekends, heh heh. A fine way to start a new chapter.

16. - Top - End - #16

Enar, human rogue

Untill now Enar had kept herself mostly silent. She never had seen so near a group of people who seemed so strong and talented. It was so amazing! She was finnally going to get to participate in adventures like those of the songs told by the bards! Fighting dragons and exploring dungeons, she had dreamed of that since being a little girl! It was breath taking!

On the other side, it could have been her bag wich she finally had managed to drop in the bar. Ropes, hammers, saws, lockpicks, grapples, food, some extra knifes. She wasn't really used to carrying such an heavy weight. But it would be essential to fulfill her role. One couldn't explore dungeons or find dragons to fight whitout the proper tools. Carrying the bag all that way had also taken out her breath. The songs never told on how the adventurers managed to carry all those rods of power and piles of gold and dragon carcasses.

However, the group kept staring at her, probably walking for her to talk. She really didn't have amazing stories to tell. But she should really present herself properly. Puting her biggest and warmest smile she could she started:

"Hmm...Hi all! I'm Enar! I grow up in the city! I have done a little bit of everything...I mean, I've worked on several professions...Oh, don't get the wrong idea! I'm not a thief or anything like that! I just like to try out new things! And despite this city being a great place I want to experience greater things! I want to explore the land and meet new people! I want to help those in need and fight wrong doers! So I decided to join this guild, so I can fulfill my dreams! And whatever challenge we meet I promise to do my best to suport you! Oh, food! I was geting hungry! Thank you very much Ana! Hmm this looks delicious..."

Enar sit down and took a plate starting to eat, watching for the reactions of the remaining members in the room.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2007-12-19 at 04:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, Human Cleric

Aulric nods to Surian, raising his stein in cheers. "Indeed! I fear we must not grow too accustomed to such fare and quarters, nor such boisterous company--" the older man gestures to the many others in the room "--as this. I languished in idleness too long at the abbey of Morrow. Though I trained many acolytes in words and battle-ways, I felt the absence of righteous war. I am closest to my god when I am in the grit, side-by-side with military fellows. May Morrow and this guild grant us worthy causes." Finishing, the priest taps his stein against Surian's.

He gestures to Dravick. "Perhaps our new friend may find an enthusiastic audience here, and tales out there." Aulric tips his head towards the world beyond the guildhouse walls.

The priest turns to Enar as she sits. "Pleased to meet you, Enar. I am Aulric. It seems our small group is comprised of diverse talents indeed! I am honoured to break bread with you. May we all share fortunes in the days to come!"

Calling to Dravick: "Give us a rousing tale, good minstrel!"
    Last edited by Rafe; 2007-12-19 at 04:55 PM.

Characters in Games:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, she does speak. Good to meet you Enar. My name is Surian, and it is good to know we have someone with your skills with us. What a diverse group we are turning out to be.

He turns to Aulric and nods his head towards him, acknowledging the truth of his statement.

I remember my first combat. I was so surprised by the rush I felt that I nearly fainted, heh heh. Perhaps we will find ourselves back on the field of battle sooner than we think. I would be honored to stand next to you in battle, facing a common foe, protecting you with my bow as you protect me with your healing.
    Last edited by dual_wielder; 2007-12-19 at 05:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

"It is a pleasure to meet you indeed miss Enar." Dravick says to the young girl, however he begins to suspect that she may not be as young as he had originally thought, with all of her skills and experiences.

"Aulric, how would you like me to recite to you all the history of the founding of this fine city? Dravick doesn't wait for the bald priest to answer and stands with his lute and begins to play.
    "The great city where the river meets the sea, Dravick sings,
    Fine Bridgeport it is named;
    It has a storied history;
    For it's merchants it is known;
    The location at the mouth of the river flowing free;
    Led the humble folks of yore to settle here;
    They used the river and the sea;
    As transportation for their goods;
    And as the trading outpost grew;
    More and more people came from far off lands;
    And turned their efforts to industry;

As races mixed and cultures clashed;
    The city formed a unique identity;
    Unlike the ones in other lands;
    Its architecture styles and its beauty;
    Were forged through open cooperation;
    Like the world does seldom see;
    And by the time the bridge was completed;
    The openness of culture and trade;
    Had shown the strenght of such good will to the world;
    And between the races was forged a certain harmony;

As bridgeport opened up the trade;
    It helped the people to see;
    That race, and homeland matter not;
    What does is only hard work and honesty;
    As the kingdom grew and even yet grows;
    Larger and ties the different tribes more closely;
    The kingdom grows on the same principles;
    As the jewel of the ocean;
    The light to the world of freedom;
    Bridgeport, the queen of the sea!"

Dravick bows deeply as he finishes and sits down at the table with Aulric, and says "That, my friend, is the tale of the founding and influence of the great city you now call home. While there are many humans who live in this city, the thing that makes it great and prosperous, is the way that everyone who lives and works here, gives their all to their city and community without regard to the origins, or the culture of the other races. We are an accepting breed here, and I think you will find, as I have, that it gives the city a welcoming feel that is hard to shake. There are many more tales but I think I shall save them for another time." Dravick smiles at his new friend and offers his tankard to the air for a toast, "To the beginning of our new adventure, may we all fare well!"
    After he finishes off his ale, he signals Ana for another and sits back content to observe, again, the people he has met today, still trying to take it all in, all the while a wide smile seems stuck to his face.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, human cleric

Aulric listens raptly, his beer and bread forgotten, as he listens to Dravick's tale. When it is finished, the priest laughs. "Truly, Dravick, you've some sorcery in your voice to make me forget my drink! That was well told." He raises his stein in toast with Dravick and the others.

To Surian, the priest says, "For certes. I also look forward to standing beside you on the field, though expect me not in the rear, voice lifted to Morrow for divine healing, my weapon idle. Rather, seek me to the fore, my stance stern, hammer brandished and shield raised!"

Characters in Games:

21. - Top - End - #21

Wow that was a beatifull song mister Thymin. You really are talented. But, if you excuse me, I'm going to find myself a room where to put my stuff. I think it will better to install myself here so we get to know it each other well and work better togheter.

Thus Enar put down her plate and grabbed her backpack again, put it in her back with a grump and headed up the stairs. She selected one of the beds behind the curtain and put her stuff near it. She wanted to better know all those nice guys, but not too close. Well the bard seemed quite charming.... What was she thinking? No, this was an adventure guild. Stupid romantic side. They weren't here to date, but to go on missions. She was still too young to get engaged anyway. She still had much to learn and do before settling down with anyone.

So, she went back down the room where her new companions were and grabbed herself a drink, secretly wishing the bard would sing again, but too shy to ask.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2007-12-20 at 10:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Bruce (entering the common room)
    "Your contracts are prepared, bold adventurers, and if you will all make your way into the library Eldon will help you sign them, then he will enter your names in the Roll at the Council Chambers when they open in an hour. So please, finish your food and drink, but it would be helpful if Eldon could be on his way before the Chambers get too busy, or the good Father will be there all day. Oh, and once you sign you may take your insignia, and also Lankin has some small welcome gifts for you down in the stores."

(Should you go into the library, this is what you will see.)
    Spoiler
    Show

The library is decorated in an odd assortment of styles. A map, which appears to be fairly new, adorns one wall, with a worn spot over the city of Bridgeport. A few shelves have books and scrolls on them, but most are empty. The table appears to have been fashioned from a large wooden door, and there are two rough-hewn benches about six feet long, one on either side of the table. On the table are pen, ink, and sheets of parchment (the contracts). Also on the table are several small silver brooches, in the form of three intersecting lines: a winding road, or perhaps a river, overlaid with a crossed sword and a staff. A narrow window opening onto the back yard allows some light into the room, but there is also a candelabra on the table and a torch in a bracket on the wall.

(If you are literate in Common, this is what the Contracts say - Eldon will read it accurately to you if you request it.)
    Spoiler
    Show

CONTRACT
    Let it be known that the signer of this contract is a full member of the Adventurer's Guild of the Fair City of Bridgeport, having agreed to the following expectations and benefits:

Expectations: Member is expected to spend most of his or her days actively seeking opportunities for experience, glory, and profit. Member will contribute his or her talents to support other members and the Guild as a whole in pursuance of the same. Member will exercise reasonable discretion in these activities, especially when conducted within the city and surrounding area of Bridgeport. Member will endeavor at all times to prevent the Guild from dishonor or excessive financial loss. Member will contribute 50% of monies earned through any activity to the care of the guild treasurer, until such time that the value of 1000 gp have been contributed. Thenceforth, member need only contribute a tithe of 10%. Should a member experience material gain in a form other than coinage, a reasonable contribution to the guild is expected.
    Failure to follow these expectations may result in temporary or permanent forfeiture of your benefits, and a guild officer may ultimately request the Council of Guilds expel you from the Roll of Members.

Benefits: Member shall enjoy free room, board, stabling, and drink at the Adventurers' Guildhall. This privilege shall not be extended to family or guests without the approval of a guild officer. Members are free to go where they please and do as they please, provided activities meet the above expectations. The member shall enjoy the physical sanctuary of the guildhall and representation by the Guildmaster in the Council of Guilds. Requests for loans or grants of monies or equipment, when necessary for a highly profitable adventure or in situations of dire need, may be granted by a majority of guild officers. Should a member be wounded or fall ill while conducting legitimate guild activities and return to the guildhall alive, his healing shall be provided for with guild resources. After ten years of active adventuring, member shall enjoy guild benefits for life, as long as his or her conduct remains good (as determined by a majority of guild officers), whether or not he or she continues to seek adventure.

The new member shall proudly wear the insignia of Adventurers, and a guild officer shall enter the new member's name into the Roll of Members of the Council of Guilds at the first possible opportunity. This contract shall not expire until such time as the new member should resign his membership, or such time as the Council of Guilds decides his membership must be revoked, in accordance with the laws of Bridgeport.

______________, New Member
    Bruce Wrightson, Guildmaster
    Eldon Highburrow, 2nd Adventurer
    Lankin Copperbags, Guild Treasurer

(If you go down to the kitchen and stores, this is what you see.)
    Spoiler
    Show

It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust to the dim light in the cool basement of the guildhall. Two fireplaces share their chimneys with those of the rooms above. There are three spits for roasting meat, cauldrons on hooks that can swivel in and out of the fireplace, and various other cooking accoutrements. A block of kitchen knives, a mortar and pestle, and a small supply of herbs and raw vegetables sit on one side of a table identical to the one in the library. Wooden buckets, sealed with pitch, are in one corner, along with some cleaning supplies. A calico cat, not fully grown but missing part of one ear, yowls at you and skitters behind some wooden pallets, on which are stacked sacks of grain or flour. Some casks and bottles are stored next to the dumbwaiter which may convey them to the bar above.
    Walls made of large bricks separate the half of the room that is furthest from the door (and closest to the main street) into three smaller rooms. Two of the rooms have no doors, and you can see they are each lit with dim, slow-burning torches. You can see smoked and salted meats hanging in one room, while the other is crowded with various adventuring equipment. The third room has a sturdy door, locked with two large padlocks.
    Lankin sits on a stool outside the equipment room. He hands you a sack with five days' trail rations, five torches, and a standard bundle of ammunition for your ranged weapon (slings and bullets are available for those without a ranged weapon). He then solemnly counts out ten gp worth of coins to any character who answers that he or she lacks this amount (any combination of gold, silver, and copper that you want), explaining that it should be used as your expense account for guild purposes.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-20 at 11:35 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick: (human/bard)

As soon as he sees Bruce enter the common room, Dravick stopps his playing Lute and listens to what the man has to say. Having already finished his food, he takes the last few swigs of his drink and immediately heads to the library. The terms of the agreement seem more than fair to Dravick, and he quickly signs his name to the document, and collects his silver brooch and affixes it to the front of his shirt. It feels good to be a part of something, and this guild will provide a number of opportunities for myself and my friends.He then shakes the hand of Father Eldon and says, "I look forward to adventuring for the common cause of the Adventurer's Guild and I will do everything I can to promote the good name of our guild." He smiles kindly, and then walks out to the storeroom.

He accepts the rations, torches, arrows, and gold from Lankin, and thanks him. "Thank you sir I will put these to good use for the cause of the Adventurer's Guild." I wonder what kind of adventure they have in mind for us, with all of this gear... Dravick thinks to himself as a bemused smile crosses his lips.

He carries his provisions upstairs to the bunkroom, and deposits them into his trunk before making his way back down to the common room, to see what the others are saying...
    Last edited by Thymin; 2007-12-20 at 01:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Ernturon appears to be less decisive than his companions, and continues to study the contract closely. Meanwhile, Bruce shows a new person into the library.

Bruce
    "Here's a latecomer, Eldon! Victor, is it? Evidently the bardsong he heard left out the part about the dawn pick-up at the Bridge, but somehow he found his way here, ha! Don't you worry about your horse, my friend, I'll put him in the stable. Just sign your contract quickly and get to the basement so Eldon and Lankin can get on with their business, then take some time to relax and meet the other folks who signed on today."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Erutaron looks up from his contract and smiles politely
    Its a fine contract, I look forward to these adventures

He signs with a small, tightly done signature and heads to collect his supplies
    My Characters 78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

"St. Cuthbert will seek justice...pray he doesnt seek it through me!"
    St. Cuthbert Cleric by Schlammmeister, "Chavik the Half-elf Ranger" avatar by Jannex

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Victor, Half-Elven Fighter

"Indeed, master Bruce, although in his defense it had been a long night already, and there were few there who could remember even as much as he. Now, let me just take a look at this..." He looks the contract over quickly, reads a couple of passages more closely, and then signs his name in a scratchy print at the bottom. It takes him a minute. When he is satisfied with his signature, he heads out to the stable, and returns with a sackfull of possesions, to which he soon adds the supplies from the stores. Then he secures himself a bunk, leaving all but his knife there. Once he's finished 'moving in', he heads downstairs to the bar and motions for a drink, then begins to listen to the conversation.
    Last edited by SithLackey; 2007-12-20 at 07:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian listens intently to Bruce's speech. He finishes what few pieces of meat had been left on his plate, then slowly rises and heads towards the library. Once there, he glosses over the contract, not having much of a mind for money-talk. He signs his name with a flourish and takes his brooch. He views it with a smile, pinning it carefully to the right side of his chest.

I shall wear this with pride. I am honored to represent this guild, and will do my best to do it justice.

He then heads down to the storeroom and gratefully accepts the supplies. He grabs one of the new arrows, holding it so that it is pressed against his forearm to check its straightness and the quality of the wood. Impressed, his places the new arrows in the quiver on his bunk and goes back down to the common room. He orders an ale and sits down next to Victor.

And what be your name friend? You seem to be a strong enough man, and well equipped. What role will you be filling in our merry band?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Victor, Half-Elf Fighter

"I am Victor and, as with many of my people, I am an accomplished horseman and archer. To answer your question more accurately, I am a Vanorian, the pround mercenaries who roam the plains. I shall lend my skills as a cavalryman and warrior as best I am able, and archer and soldier when I am not. What of yourself?" Victor listens intently and sips his beer, keen to learn as much about his soon-to-be companions as possible.
    Last edited by SithLackey; 2007-12-21 at 12:27 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aurlic, human cleric

Aulric follows his fellows into the library, pausing to examine the map to get a bearing how far he's traveled. His eyes roam the other areas his years have taken him. With a wistful shake of his head, he turns his attentions to the table and the contracts.

After browsing the contents, re-reading portions, he sets his quill to ink and signs his name and takes up a brooch, fastening it on his cloak.

"Again, thanks for your invitation and welcome. As with my comrades, I shall endeavour to do this guild honour."

In the storeroom, Aulric takes the gear offered, nodding his thanks to the quartermaster. Seeing his comrades returning to the common room, the priest makes his way to his room, stows the new gear, and heads back to the common room to sit and speak with them.

Aulric offers his arm to Victor. "Well-met, horseman. I am Aulric Taine, warrior priest of Morrow."

Characters in Games:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick: (human/bard)

Sitting at a table absently strumming on his lute, and taking in the sights as he is want to do, Dravick sees the latecomer enter the common room. I have never seen someone who looks like that before. I wonder if he is one of the fable elves from the faraway land of the East.

He studies the man intently, his curiousity piqued by the chance to not only meet but to adventure alongside someone from so far away. He sees the others in the group greeting him, and he stands up and walks over to introduce himself as well.

"Hello good sir, my name is Dravick, I am a collector of tales and legends, and I look forward to the adventures we will surely share. Perhaps we could all share a drink now that we are all officially adventuring companions?"

He takes a seat and signals to Ana to bring drinks for the table while flashing her a smile. "What better way indeed to forge a new friendship than over drinks?"
    Last edited by Thymin; 2007-12-21 at 12:24 PM.