New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default White Plume Mountain: Group 1 (IC)

Alchemist Merlin: Lomua the Lightsworn, Dwarf cleric
    Kawaii Catboy: Revan Wilds, Half-elf beguiler
    GimliFett: 'Badger', Gnome warmage
    bchilders: Lan Aldarin, Elf ranger
    NobleSavage: Garnig, Gnome druid/MoMF

When Riikan Dack, a wealthy collector of rare art objects, hired you to recover a three weapons stolen from his vault, he offered your group 10,000 gp—a reward sizable enough to dissuade you from asking too many questions. He showed you the boastful note left by the thief—supposedly an ancient wizard named Keraptis.

Search ye far or search ye near,
    You’ll find no trace of the three
    Unless you follow instructions clear,
    For the weapons abide with me.

North past forest, farm, and furrow
    You must go to reach the feathered mound.
    Then down away from the sun you’ll burrow—
    Forget life, forget light, forget sound.

To rescue Wave, you must do battle
    With the Beast in the Boiling Bubble.
    Crost cavern vast, where chain-links rattle
    Lies Whelm, past waterspouts double.

Blackrazor yet remains to be won
    Underneath inverted ziggurat.
    That garnered, think not that you’re done,
    For now you’ll find you are caught.

I care not, former owners brave,
    What heroes you seek to hire.
    Though mighty, each shall be my slave
    Or vanish into the fire.

-K

Dack told you that his sources had pinpointed your destination (the “feathered mound” named in the note) as a volcanic peak called White Plume Mountain. Days later, you found yourselves scaling the south slope of the mountain. You soon located an entry tunnel leading into the rock and emerged in a cave that actually seemed to breathe, exhaling a large cloud of steam and then slowly inhaling again, like a man breathing on a cold day.
    Last edited by Ditto; 2008-08-10 at 09:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: White Plume Mountain: Group 1 (IC)

Standing alone in a vast area of dismal moors and tangled thickets is White Plume Mountain, an almost perfectly conical volcanic hill formed millennia ago from the slow leakage of lava. About 1,000 yards in diameter at the base, the peak rises about 800 feet above the surrounding land. The white plume that gives the mountain its name and fame is a continuous geyser that spouts from the very summit. The spray shoots 300 feet into the air, then trails off to the east under the prevailing winds like a great white feather. The water from the geyser collects in numerous depressions downslope that eventually merge, creating a sizeable stream.

The nearest village, Yellowreach, lies about 5 miles from the mountain along the Yellow Flow River (so named for the sulfurous deposits along its banks). From Yellowreach, Fellsind (Dack's home city) is two days' journey south and west. The villagers know of the mountain and its surroundings, as well as details of the only entrance. Steam vents pierce the mountainside in various spots, but none of them is large enough to allow entry. The only possible entrance to the volcanic cone is a cave on the south slope. This cavern is known as the Wizard’s Mouth, where the party finds itself now, poised to enter what stories say was once Keraptis' domain...
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Revan Wilds

"So, then, shall we venture inside, my friends?" Asks the pleasantly smiling half-elf of the rest of the party. His green eyes glittered at the promise of a large reward, even split five ways would come to a hefty sum.

He brushed off a twig that had snagged on his earth brown cloak, the green tunic over his chain shirt smoothed out keenly. He waited for someone else to venture into the cave first - He never went in anywhere without letting someone else test the waters to make sure it was safe.
    I am the Catboy. I demand pettings!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Badger

The warmage grunts. "Ugh. Sure. As soon as one of our scout-ish folks deigns to take point," Badger says as he leans on his waraxe and looks from the druid to the ranger.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Garnig

The other gnome shrugs and smiles, albeit a bit confusedly, at Badger's generosity. "Sure, unless someone else wants to?" Seeing no one else step up, Garnig eagerly slips past his companions toward the opening. Uttering something between a bark and a growl, the cheerful gnome calls his mean looking wolverine up to point with him. "Alright, you guys set?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lan

Lan has truly enjoyed the freedom of setting off on his first real adventure and feels a completely new man because of it. Thats not to say that to others he still doesn't appear an overly timid, reserved elf. As they look into the open cave Lan feels a combination of fear and nervousness and he barely hears the request for point man. When he finally registers the request and timidly starts to speak up but the small druid begins to talk right over him. With a little relief to not have to be the lead man Lan follows off after the others.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

7. - Top - End - #7

Lomua hefts himself over the edge of the ridge.

"Hah, 's a bit steeper than i' looks." he says a bit embarassed. He throws his pack over his shoulder "Why are we all standin' around chattin'? Let's go! Adventure awaits us! Garnig, you an' yer pet walk along side with me, looks t' be big enough we could fit two point men. You're observant and I..." he smacks his armor, " am covered in metal. Good combination I feel."

Lomua moves forward into the cave, just assuming people will follow.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The cavern is warm and damp, and seems to sigh softly as you enter into it. The floor is covered with a layer of muck - a byproduct of condensation dripping down from the walls and seeping into the seething, verdant mud. A cloud of steam washes over you, flowing from a small crevice in the ceiling high on the back wall of the cave, about 30 feet in. The incoming swirl of steam is barely perceptible in the low light. After a moment, it is followed by a burst of cold air and a loud whistling noise as the steam rushes out the hole and through another of the mountain's many vents.

Lomua sees nothing of interest as he moves in, until he comes to the wall beneath the outlet vent. Settled partly beneath this mud, near the back of the cavern, he can see in the dark that there is a simple trapdoor 4-feet-square set with an iron ring. It lies open before you with the door flat back against the floor, and you can see the edge of a rusty metal staircase spiraling into the humid darkness below. Apparently the last travellers who came through this way did not elect to pull it closed upon their return... or perhaps, did not return.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

9. - Top - End - #9

"Looks like someone left the door open. How welcoming." Lomua chuckles as he steps down onto the rusty stairs and heads down, confident that his mission of good will encourage fate to let the steps hold up under his weight.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

10. - Top - End - #10

NinjaGuy

Garnig

Happy to have company at the front, Garnig follows his companion, pleased with the brisk pace. As the corridors narrow, the gnome does his best to stay even with his bulky, clanking friend. When Lomua stops to inspect the trapdoor and descending stair, Garnig does his best to peer around, upset he hadn't taken the initiative and charged down first. Glancing fondly to his companion, Logan, the gnome is grateful he is adept at scaling steep surfaces. "Looks like fun, anyone else bring a light?" he asks, rummaging around in his bag and producing a quickly glowing lantern.

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lan

At Lamoa's comment Lan chuckles a bit too loudly do to his nervousness and abruptly quiets down. He follows Garnig down the stairs opting to be close to the light and not pulling up the rear.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

(Scooting y'all along just a step...)

As Lomua approaches the bend, the smokey torchlight flickers against water that spreads across the 10-foot-wide passage. What once was only a small puddle here and there spreads deeper as he rounds the corner, up to shin-height.

Lomua: A few steps ahead, you can make out what looks to be a large pile (about 3 ft.) of bones at the intersection of three other tunnels. On top of the pile, a form moves. You watch as the creature shifts - its body looks like that of a mangy lion, and great, tattered wings lie folded at its sides. A female humanoid face peers out from beneath the tangled mat of hair that covers its head. She blinks slowly and stretches her front paws out, extending her claws lazily. She licks her lips and turns her head just slightly to the side in interest.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Revan Wilds

"Oh my, what do we have here? Apologies if we've disturbed you, fair creature." Revan speaks from the safety of behind Lomua, keeping his distance. He weaves his magic and casts a spell, Detecting the Thoughts of both his companion and the strange creature. "Mind you, you wouldn't happen to know if say, someone passed through here, carrying some things, and which way they went as well?" He asks politely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Knowledge (Arcana) to Identify Creature: (1d20+14)[20]
    Rolling Diplomacy to appear Friendly: (1d20+18)[38]
    Oh, and I can Concentrate on Detect Thoughts and talk at the same time too, right? I think I can.
    Last edited by Kawaii Catboy; 2008-08-21 at 01:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

She inclines her head in acknowledgement. "The price to pass is but a word; many have paid that price, among them beings who carried things. Answer my riddles, and you may continue. You stand in the south; west, north, and east await you. You each must speak the name of the path you will take." She adds with a sly grin, And then the game begins."

Spoiler
    Show
    Revan successfully Knows that this is one of four species of sphinx known as a gynosphinx, the only female variety, known for their cunning and love of riddles. Their cousins are known for being aggressive brutes, but gynosphinxes are generally amiable if treated with respect.

After a few moments' concentration, Revan can tell she's definitely *there*, and her Intelligence is on par with his. He gets nothing specific from the sphinx.
    Lomua's there too. He's dumb as bricks.

AM, please roll a Will save and think at Revan (if you fail).
    Last edited by Ditto; 2008-08-21 at 09:35 AM.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler
    Show

Lomua is a bit jarred by the site of the creature, his thoughts drift immediately to his error in not properly preparing for battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomua's Brain
    "I fergot t' give them th' pendants! Blast! Hopefully we won't have ta fight this thing."
    Last edited by Alchemistmerlin; 2008-08-21 at 02:03 PM.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh... DC was 18, so you crazy saved. For what it's worth, Revan didn't hear that.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Badger

"Riddles. Yay," Badger mutters as he ponders the creature's question.

Name the path? West. North. East. The trick isn't in the direction, aside from maybe: Ahead. Hrm, the gnome thinks to himself as he strokes his goatee with his right hand and twirls his axe in his left.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Badger have any idea what this is?
    KnowledgeArcana - (1d20+6)[11]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Revan Wilds

Revan, understanding that cunning and guile were needed here, stepped up to the task. ""Well then, good sphinx, speak your riddle, and we shall answer it." He informs the creature. He points to the eastern tunnel. "We travel to the east."

19. - Top - End - #19

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lan

Lan, quivering heavily, spends little to no thought on the riddle posed, instead keeps his eye fixed on the beast in front of him as if expecting it to spring at any moment.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Badger

Moving to Lan's side, Badger taps the elf's elbow. "You all right?" he inquires softly.

21. - Top - End - #21

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lan

Spooked by the contact, Lan jumps and lets out a small squeek, but tries to return a brave smile and says, "F..F.Fine I'm fine. Just a bit jittery." The quiver in his force shows his fear but he tries his best to stand tall and look calm.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

She grins as you choose, and begins to recite verse in measured (and obviously oft-repeated) tones:
    "My creator wants me not,
    And in much dread I will be bought.
    My cold embrace is fiercely fought,
    Most all who need me know it not."

After delivering her puzzle, she squats on her haunches and looks among each of you expectantly.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Revan Wilds

"...oh, that's the riddle? I thought you might have been warming up. The answer's a coffin." Revan replies pleasantly with a matching smile for the sphinx. "The coffin maker doesn't want it, nobody wants to buy one. It might have been a tombstone if not for the whole embrace line, that indicates something around the recipient, and of course a dead man doesn't know he's in a coffin. Can we go east now?"
    Last edited by Kawaii Catboy; 2008-08-22 at 09:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Badger:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To answer your check from before, it appears to be a giant winged kitty. You think it's called a sphincter or such, but it seems you weren't paying very close attention that day in Magical Beasts 101.

The giant winged kitty is not amused, but dips her brow in assent. "You may pass," she says without comment on his tone. "You must each answer me if you are to go on. Do not ever pass through this way without paying my price." The sphinx shuffles back a pace along her high pile of bones, making room for Revan to move east.
    Last edited by Ditto; 2008-08-23 at 10:51 PM.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

25. - Top - End - #25

NinjaGuy

Garnig

As the light shone upon the beautiful feline form, Garnig was struck silent for a moment, head tilted to the side, drinking up the beast before him. Eyes seeming to dive beneath skin, fur and feathers, to the details of its anatomy; muscles, tendons and ligaments. A bit too alien, but really not too bad. Quite powerful form, actually. Maybe, maybe later... if I have more time... Take some study, though. Blinking, Garnig smiles as he hears that they are to play a game of riddles, seeming to take in stride that they are playing with life and death. Or just ignoring it entirely: its difficult to tell.

Kneeling, the gnome scratches his companion below its jaw, dropping to a knee and splitting his attention between the animal before him and the magical beast challenging his party to a game of wits. "You hear that Logan? Sounds like death, 'cept that last part, who needs it? Undead maybe?" What passes for a hard look crosses the chipper gnome's face at the mention of the foul aberrations, though the end result is closer to stern and mildly irritated.

26. - Top - End - #26

"Aye, tis a coffin like the lad said. Thank ye fer letting us pass" Lomua heads down the East passage after bowing to the terrifying man-eating riddlebeast.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lan

Lan stutters as he replies, "C..c.coffin," but manages to keep his eyes on the feline creature.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Badger

Badger remains at the timid elf's side. "Coffin, of course. Pshht," he says as he moves to follow the others.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-08-27 at 02:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

NinjaGuy

Garnig

"Coffin?" the gnome inquires of his companion, then again as he follows his companions past the reclining feline, "Coffin." more assertively, though it is clear he doesn't quite understand the term. A moment of silent thought brings a tingling at the back of the gnomes mind. "Ooooh, for... bodies?" A scene comes back to Garnig in a flash, two men guiding a cart and donkey with a man-sized box. They'd distinctly used the word "coffin" along with "dead" and "buried." He looks perplexedly at his gruff pet once more, "Why'd they want to do that? Just take longer to be taken back into Tellus' embrace. Do they want that?" Having something to think on, Garnig drops to the rear momentarily, exercising a significant amount of willpower to refocus on the task at hand and make his way back up to the point.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Having (approximately) completed your business, you press on to the east. The silty water immediately returns to its previous depth as the tunnel continues. Beyond the path leading to the sphinx, there are no more lanterns, however pathetically guttering those might have been. Garnig's lantern is the only illumination presently.

At the edge of its light, you can see a side branch of the passage leading left, and another leading right a few yards farther down.

((I suppose we should have a marching order... does Garnig - Lomua - Lan - Revan - Badger sound right? I'm looking at the order you entered the original cave. The passage is wide enough for two people to walk side by side, if you'd like.))
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort