New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Headquarters IC

Spoiler
    Show
    If this is a double post, it's because the first one is invisible - I can't find it, although the board says I posted. Take this one instead.

"If it's a regular ogre, and it's alone, flank it and kill it quickly." Kyte speaks aloud, breaking his momentary stoicism. His bow arm hangs down at his side, but rather than look at any of the others around him, he stares at the silent image of figures battling the ogre, as though watching a real battle. "If it's anything else, run. Ogres are too strong for weak or foolhardy adventurers to take on, especially alone. Their lack of intelligence is your only advantage."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Jeff

Well...I always wanted to learn to speak the elven language...it is melodious, not like the dwarven one...most of the guildmates know at least two languages, and I dont want to look stupid just because I speak only common. Plus, it could be handy if we ran into some elves in the forest...Noticing Dravick, Jeff quickly tells Gylvin:Dont tell him anything I told you.Then to Dravick:Well...I dont think it is THAT far, i mean, we still are in the same city...so, came to see the show?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Matthew, Ulysses, Kyte, Zan, Shiela -combat practise

Ulysses bows in greeting to Shiela. "The gods give you good even', Miss Taylor. You're welcome to join us, of course." He glances at the phantasmal combat, and lets slip a hint of a smirk. "That is, if we can reach some agreement on what it is we're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidByron View Post
    Have you ever fought a real ogre? Quite terrifying I would imagine. What sort of tactics would you suggest?
    Studying the illusionary ogre, he considers Matthew's question as he watches it move in the silent mock battle.

"If I had to take one on alone... I'd go for the belly. With a creature that size, none of it's other vital spots are within easy reach, even with a hand-and-a-half blade" -- he pats the hilt of his sword -- "Of course, I'd have to get in under the brute's guard first, even to get at its underbelly. If that proved impossible, I might resort to going for the legs -- the back of the ankle or the calf -- to hamstring it." Ulysses doesn't look too keen at this prospect however. "A bit... ignoble though. I'd much prefer a clean fight."
    Setting: The Chimeric City

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the Calvin avatar, as well as the Pandaren:
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Matt, Zan, Kytr, Ulysses, Shiela - talking ogres

Ignoble, eh? You'd really hate my suggestion then. Speaking from my own limited experience of being over ten foot tall... well you can scare people, and you have the feeling you could just reach down and pluck someone up into the air, but at the same time it's hard to move about easily especially indoors. Big and clumsy.

I think I would try to shoot the ogre from a distance and lure it through a narrow doorway or into thick bushes where it has to crouch or watch its footing.... but if you like I can show you better tomorrow. I have a spell that will double your height. Or perhaps Shiela, would you like to be ten foot tall for a short while? You and Ulysses could practice sparring a little.

At any rate I think I need to get some sleep soon if I am to get enough rest to re-learn spells for tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless someone wants to talk to Matthew more or do something with the illusions before they go pop, he's headed off to bed. If there are no objections I'd like to advance to the next day more-or-less.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default He's just...

Zan's eyes returned to Kyte every so often.

He's like them. He doesn't show any emotion, he does what he wants. He thinks that he can do as he pleases around here, and to make matters worse, he doesn't even react to the repremanding. I don't care what little shady past he's been through... he's no better than the scum who took Father.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thymin View Post
    Dravick:

"Gentlemen. It's a pleasant coincidence to see familiar faces this far from the guild hall. I hope you don't mind if I sit here." Dravick smiles brightly, and orders an ale from a passing waitress.
    Gylvin

"Hello. We haven't really met yet but I'm assuming you're Davrick. I'm Gylvin. Welcome and have a seat. Are you thinking of providing a second act tonight? I hear you're pretty good with a story.

Does anyone want to toss dice to see who buys the next round?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If Jeff or Davrick wish to roll for next round, make 2 separate d6 rolls w/ no adders. Lowest roll on first die has to buy the next round. If there is a tie, use the second roll. If still a tie then the bottom two are stuck each buying a round.

First roll: (1d6)[3]
    Second roll: (1d6)[5]
    I hate it when other people use my ideas and don't even bother to give me credit --Anonymous

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." —Mark Twain

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

The Red-head looks over the illusion-ogre quickly.
    "If I'm solo, I'd take advantage. I'm short, its not. Shield high, blade in the belly, mess up its intestines. soon as I get completely underneath, push up, throw its balance off, send it to the deck, then tear its belly open like a wolf. I'd take care of the goblins first, though, that would complicate the situation. If I got a partner, provide a distraction. One of us lets the other get the telling blow in, or have my partner go after the goblins while I work on the ogre, assuming I was the mroe skilled at single combat, of course." she rattled off in a quick, near thoughtless manner.

She the looked at Ulysses. "Its rare to hear someone call a bastard sword a hand-and-a-half. Is the word 'bastard' touchy around you?"

OOC>
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I'm intentionally prodding his backstory
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground

Valx

"Well if its ogres, I'd personally just hit it till it falls over, then go for the throat. A cleric on hand for some boosters and healing would help.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While the others talk, Kyte lifts his bow and begins shooting into the melee, testing his aim with each shot.

Spoiler
    Show
    -2 for long range
    Attack - (1d20+1)[2]
    Attack - (1d20+1)[11]
    Attack - (1d20+1)[10]
    Attack - (1d20+1)[9]
    Attack - (1d20+1)[14]

10. - Top - End - #310

Kobold

Jeff

You let the dice decide who buys the drinks Gylvin? Reminds me of the time I played bones to see the order to the bathroom...since there was only one...and doing your business in a city is kinda hard...lots of guards...damn paladins...not letting mercenaries to wee at a tree... . Anyway, want to give a performance tonight Dravick?I look forward to it...Jeff pauses for a moment.So, will you help me sharpen my sword Gylvin?

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[2]
    Bluff check for secret message for Gylvin - (1d20)[11]

11. - Top - End - #311

Bruce (calling out of the stable to those in the back yard of the Guildhall):
    There are some old horse blankets in here if you want to use them to wrap your weapons and practice on each other. Just don't get hurt; Eldon doesn't have unlimited spells, you know.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos5150 View Post
    "Its rare to hear someone call a bastard sword a hand-and-a-half. Is the word 'bastard' touchy around you?"
    Ulysses shoots Shiela an unreadable look. "If you are deliberately trying to provoke me, Miss Tailor, by all means, continue." His voice barely smooths over an icy anger as he adds in a lower tone, "I did know my father, if that's what you're wondering."

Spoiler
    Show
    If for some reason someone has a desire to listen in on Ulysses and Shiela's conversation, that last part about knowing his father was said in a low enough voice to warrant a Listen check, methinks. Let's say... 15 DC to be a nosy eavesdropper and make overhear what he said.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

13. - Top - End - #313

Default Matthew, asleep, missing out on gossip

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see, DC 15 with say -20 for being asleep and another -20 for being inside the house up the stairs round the corner and behind the door.
    Listen to gossip in sleep - (1d20-41)[-29]

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela
    "Provoke you? I think not. Its just useful to know things about one's guildmates, don't you think? Consider yourself lucky, anyway. I never knew my mother." Shiela responds in a defensive manner. She, however speaks plainly and does not whisper back.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, you only take -10 for being asleep
    Listen - (1d20+4)[18]

Kyte says nothing about the conversation, merely taking the time to shoot a few more practice shots.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shoot the practice target - (1d20+1)[5]
    Shoot the practice target - (1d20+1)[15]
    Shoot the practice target - (1d20+1)[5]
    Shoot the practice target - (1d20+1)[19]
    Shoot the practice target - (1d20+1)[20]

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

Ulysses's surprise does not show on the stony surface of his face, but his gaze sharpens, then goes distant. After a moment, he replies, and the hard edge is completely gone from his voice. "I'm... sorry to hear that. I never knew my mother either. She... died in childbirth."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"Then we're in the same boat." Shiela responds off-handidly, extending her right hand as if to shake on it and make up for her unintentional insult.
    "I'm sorry for the (unintentional) insult. Please, allow me to make it up to you by giving those horse blankets a go. You seem like a man who likes to spar."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

18. - Top - End - #318

Default Society for the Perfection of Arcane Methodology

Spoiler
    Show

It's likely that SPAM posts are going to be a regular feature in the HQ thread and are going to have to cut across whatever else might be going on and be posted "out of order". So I suggest labeling the SPAM posts and we'll assume it's a flashback to a meeting or series of meetings that already took place in the library.

Some of the meetings might be designated as "wizards only" -- probably just to make other people think something very important is going on. These would be separate meetings. If it's not labeled "wizards only" figure anyone can wander in without causing upset.

If you're replying to some SPAM and non-SPAM posts are in between it might be good to quote part of what you are responding to.

Matthew is arranging some papers on the library table.
    Oh hey! You're early. Welcome to the inaugural meeting of the Society for the Perfection of Arcane Methodology. This thing is mostly Gylvin's idea and he isn't here yet but we have a preliminary agenda for tonight worked out if you want to look at it. It's all a bit informal at the moment.

Society for the Perfection of Arcane Methodology

1. Discussion of integrating magic into combat or general exploration. This would be open to any guild member as we would be discussing situations where magic use needs to be coordinated with team tactics.

2. Covering our knowledge base. Wizards are usually expected to know academic stuff. What areas of expertise need to be better covered as a guild? What do we need to study more?

3. Expenses / finance Everyone benefits from having competent wizards with eg scrolls or researched spells, so we shouldn't have to pay all the costs. How should the costs be divided up?

4. Wizard-less teams. How to help out the team/s with no wizards. And how do those teams pay into the system?

5. Any other business.

Agenda - wizards only.
    6. Selection of SPAM officers, charter.

7. Sharing of spell information

8. Spell Research.

9. Security

10. Crafting items
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-15 at 11:58 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strongoak View Post
    Gylvin

"Hello. We haven't really met yet but I'm assuming you're Davrick. I'm Gylvin. Welcome and have a seat. Are you thinking of providing a second act tonight? I hear you're pretty good with a story.

Does anyone want to toss dice to see who buys the next round?"
    "Well met Gylvin. You are right my name is Dravick." He pronounces his name slowly and with a short 'a' but not so slowly as to be offensive. He continues, "As far as performing tonight, I am afraid that I will not be. I do appreciate your praise and that of whomever passed it along to you, but I feel that to try to follow that act would be professional suicide for a man of my profession. Besides, I have given up performing for a wage, and have joined the Adventurer's Guild of Bridgeport. Here's to my new friends and the next round." With that he lifts his mug and takes a hearty draught, and then tosses the dice to see who will be paying for the next round.

(d6)[6]
    (d6)[4]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

20. - Top - End - #320

Default .... Practice? Well...

Zan listens carefully to Bruce's offer of wrapping up weapons. It would be a bit tricky to fasten to his scythe, but he wouldn't mind maybe a little... a workout at the slightest. Yet...

"I was wondering if maybe I could... uh, em... If anybody needs healing or something, so maybe I could get myself back into the flow of things. You know, so I can heal easier when I need to?"

21. - Top - End - #321

Kobold

Jeff

Oh, nickers...seems that I buy you all a round of beer...

22. - Top - End - #322
    Orc in the Playground

Ulysses's eyes refocus on Shiela. He gives her a nod, but doesn't shake her hand.

"Aye. I'm always ready to practice a bit of swordplay."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

23. - Top - End - #323

Zan, looking around for someone to practice healing on, walks in front of the stable just as Bruce walks out carrying a quintain. The wooden arm of the quintain and Zan's nose collide with such force that Zan stumbles back a few steps, his nose bleeding steadily.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zan suffers 1 hp of damage. Physician, heal thyself!

Back at the Jasmine & Clove, Dravick racks his brains trying to think of any knowledge that may clue him in to the origin of the musicians. The only thing he can think of is that their language sounds similar to an unknown language in a snatch of song he heard once from another bard, who said he had learned it from a trapper returning from the far west.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

The red-head disappears for a few minuetes., and returns with four horse blankets and her shield, wearing her scale mail.. After presenting two blankets to Ulysees, she proceeds to wrap her scimitar with one and pad the spikes on her shield with the other.

When she finishes, she waits for Uylsses to follow suit.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

25. - Top - End - #325

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Spoiler
    Show
    Fine I am unilaterally declaring a new day so I get my spells back. Ha. I guess it doesn't really matter except I didn't want anyone saying I was unfairly casting spells left and right without memorising them. For this day I'll be memorising as 1st level spells ... blank slots which can be filled in with 15 minutes notice. Keep my options open.

Morning. Matthew is up and about and looking to go around town a bit to get some new clothes and check out the library. Althea might be interested in coming since she was interested in exploring town. Also if I see Sheila before we set off I'll ask her if she can recommend a good tailor....

Good morning Ana. What's for breakfast?

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

((Assuming this is the day after the ale incident, and whatnot. Also, yay for actually having her get a chance to draw!))

It was surprising how quickly time could pass. Althea had ended up working and drawing for a good portion of the day, her attention mostly focused on the piece before her. It was merely the common room from the corner she sat in. It was a bit tough to keep the ink she used from spilling, but the end result pleased the girl enough. She hadn't been able to find anything but some of the ink that the wizards seemed to hoard.

She stretched her stiff limbs, yawning slightly. She had been up for a while now, almost before sunrise. She had managed to wash off some of the ale smell at least, though she was still dressed in her armor. The air was considerably warmer from where she had come from, and she was just wearing the more protective parts of the armor. It felt weird to have her arms a bit more exposed, but she was more then covered.

Her stomach growled as the short wizard came down, reminding her that the girl hadn't eaten anything for quite some time.

Do you mind if I join you? Been a while since I had anything to eat.
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

27. - Top - End - #327

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Well you mustn't let yourself starve away in the midst of plenty! If you are up so early in the morning that Ana hasn't arrived yet I'm sure it would be fine to fix yourself a sandwich or something.

So what are you doing today? Have you seen Vlax or Dravick or Jeff this morning by the way? Last I saw of them was yesterday's pub crawl but I had to bail out on account of my drinking problem (not being able to drink enough!) I think they split up to cover more ground. Now if my cunning plan is going well we should have covered most of the pubs in Bridgeport looking for a mission. They could have ended up anywhere last night!

I quite got distracted from my other errands though. So today I want to get measured for some new clothes ... maybe something more appropriate for adventuring... something with more little pockets and loops... and I want to check out the library especially since it's so close.

Spoiler
    Show
    As usual Matthew asks question without waiting for an answer.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-16 at 09:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, it's not so much that, but I get kind of focused sometimes on drawing" she trailed off, listening to the amusing story of Matthew and his pub crawling plan. It was amusing, and also explained why there wasn't so many other people at in the HQ as she knew lived there.

I actually haven't seen any of them, and thankfully there hasn't been any angry knocks on the door of other people looking for them either. Still, I need some more clothes as well, so I'll go with you to the town. I haven't really has a chance to explore it yet. If we're lucky, we'll get what we need without finding them in an ally or hurt or something.
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

29. - Top - End - #329

Default Okay.. I smell blood. Oh, that's right!

Zan held his nose, trying to pinch it.

"Okay... I should be careful what I wish for. Cure minor wounds!"

Spoiler
    Show

He gives up his Resistance Spell to do it.

30. - Top - End - #330

Default Matthew, Althea - shopping!

Well let's keep an eye out for anyone we know but I want to get to the tailor's first so they can get on with making the clothes straight away. And you must be pretty hot in your winter clothes there.

Having got the address of her father's business from Shiela, the two set off.

So, Althea, tell me a bit about where you come from. Is that hair real by the way? Oh did you say you wanted to see about getting some paints too? I know just the place.

This part of town where the guild house is located used to be the old town center. Most of the old wealth has moved up and over the hill to what the call "new East Bridgeport" now... really within the last few decades since the Doge has been in charge...

There's a lot of beautiful buildings in this area. You probably noticed that building (indicating the library as they pass it) as you walked up from the bridge the other day. It used to be the old palace way back ... older than The Bridge, it predates the Vanorians..... oh.... do you know who the Vanorians were? I'm sorry: I've been doing all the talking as usual.

The library is a good example of the "Bridgeport" characteristic architectural style in curved roofs, jutting minarets, thin columns and flying buttresses, giving it a light feel. A careful eye might make out where the building once had an outer wall for further defence, now removed, perhaps the stones used in other buildings.