New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Ah there's Ana now. Hmmmmmm. While she's busy cleaning the bar.... If she has some sort of curse on her I might be able to see it's aura and see how strong it is or what sort of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show

casting Detect magic.
    Spellcraft to discover the main school of magic of any aura on Ana - (1d20+6)[24]
    Probably look around the rest of the room for magic too while I am at it, although I don't expect any thing of it.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Headquarters IC

Spotting the wizard and hearing him cast a spell, Kyte raises an eyebrow.

"Excuse me." He says offhandedly to Shiela, in the same dead voice as always, and walks over to where Matthew stands as he looks around the room with his magic-detecting eyes.

"I am Kyte." Kyte says, introducing himself with a small bow to the wizard, wherein he notices a spell book hanging on a chain. Coming up from his small flourish, Kyte attempts to invisibly lift Matthew's spell book off of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleight of Hand against DC20 to get the book (1d20+7)[22]

So the book is attached to a chain. It seems this wizard is very protective of his spell book... This will be interesting. Standing up, Kyte reveals the spell book in his hand, and hands it to the wizard. "This is yours." He says in doing.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-05 at 01:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Default Ulsses Valeris, Human Knight

Ulysses accepts the cup and cloth with cordial thanks, and drinks the thinned wine down in almost a single draught. Swirling the last of the liquid in the bottom of the cup, he gazes about the room at the diverse collection of adventurers, all clearly engaged in their own meals, drinks, and conversations.

They must see all manner of folk around here. This is the first "inn" I've come to on my journey where I haven't felt like the center of attention, he thinks. He finds it comforting, not feeling so many wondering and fascinated eyes upon him. He can't quite fathom what's so noteworthy about his appearance -- certainly it couldn't be just the armor; even in large cities he'd drawn a few stares.

Putting down the cup and taking up the cloth, Ulysses proceeds to wipe the dust and sweat of the road from his face and hands. He rubs a palm over his stubbly cheeks, frowning. I'll have to do something about that.

He hails the barmaid again. "I'll take some food now, please, Miss. And when I'm finished, I'd like to clean up some more. Is there someplace here that a man might be able to get himself a bath and a shave?"
    Setting: The Chimeric City

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the Calvin avatar, as well as the Pandaren:
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

4. - Top - End - #184

Spoiler
    Show

"Hello." Kyte says, introducing himself with a small bow to the wizard, and attempting to invisibly lift Matthew's spell book off of him while doing so.
    Whoa! back up a second you just attacked another PC.

You certainly wouldn't get to "thumbing through the pages" before you got a face full of colour spray.

I'm not sure you can just steal equipment that you cannot see using sleight of hand either. You don't even know if the spellbook is on him (it is) or where it is on him, or whether it is trapped in some way (it is). If you really want to do this then do it one step at a time. Stealing a wizards spellbook and casually flipping through it in front of him - you're guaranteed to cause a hostile reaction.

BTW the spell casting thing is mixed in with the use of Prestidigitation. Matthew tends use somatic and verbal cues for his Prestidigitation effects, even though the spell description doesn't specify they are needed. As a result whenever he does something with Prestidigitation (eg the chilling of the beer) it looks like he is casting a spell. Therefore he can usually cast a "real" spell in there without it looking especially different, although it's certainly clear he's a spell caster and the distinction maybe moot for your character.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-04 at 05:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

((Going to assume that the spell book lifting didn't happen for this post. If it did, then this will be edited.))

Althea smiled again, watching the magic user perform his little trick. Magic fascinated Althea, though she had more talent at flying then conjuring flame and ice. She had only seen the most basic workings of magic, but she had yet to see anything that didn't astound her. As frightening as it could be, there was a grace and art to it that Althea admired.

((To Matthew))

"[It's a pleasure to meet you Matthew," the girl replied to him, bowing her head slightly in respect. She had more then enough questions that she could ask the wizard, but she tried to bite her tongue. A weakness for magic was something she should probably talk about a lot. "And I think I could get a drink. Something simple, if possible, like juice of some sort. If you'll chill it for me."
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Also stealing from a PC might not go down too well with his party members. This one is currently a drunk dwarf barbarian, and could take it the wrong way

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Unassuming.

Regardless of whether or not he heard about Ana's muteness ((The roll to which seems to have been missed)), Zan got a few questions in his head. To solve such things, he walked to Matthew, the person who he was, by now, most acquainted with. "Hey, uh... busy?"

8. - Top - End - #188

Uh.. no, not busy.

Spoiler
    Show

Waiting to have my pockets picked? maybe.
    trying to impress girls? possibly.
    busy? no.

I was thinking about walking around town a bit today. Maybe visit the library. Maybe do some window shopping -- what's up?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-04 at 11:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

The lady fighter offers her ale up to be chilled (Assuming Ana figured out Kyte doesn't drink and supplies only one ale!), and sips it slowly. Its obvious from how she treats the ale that she doesn't drink much, and is certainly no where near the heavy drinkers of the Guild (therefore, her no-participation in the first contest. Why get involved in a game you'll loose handily?).

She shrugs her shoulders as Kyte walks away, smirking to herself and, as soon as hes out of earshot, taunts him with the muttered phrase "Looks like you can't do everything."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

10. - Top - End - #190

Ana serves food and drink to all who want it.

Elga
    If you're wantin' to bathe, there are washtubs in the basement and a kettle of water over the fire down there.

(Results of Matthew's Detect Magic Spell)
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a moderate aura of magic about Ana. She is under some sort of spell, and it was not cast by a beginning spellcaster - which may be expected, considering the spell is still active after years of duration.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-05 at 02:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"While you're chilling ales, my friend, mine could use a touch of frost." Then returning his attention to Althea he says, "If you are interested in learning about Bridgeport, I can help you with that." He flashes his everpresent smile before standing up and carrying his drink to Matthew to have it chilled.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

12. - Top - End - #192

What the hell ?!?!? Thief!!!

As soon as Matthew notices the attempt to grab his spell book he casts color spray on Kyte.

Spoiler
    Show

Something like a taser from the description.
    It has a DC 15 Will saving throw.
    If you want to back up and do initiative Matthew's is initiative - (1d20+2)[9] however from the description it's as if Kyte doesn't expect a hostile response for some reason so even if he won initiative I don't see he'd do anything with it. I assume Matthew can try and angle the spray such that it doesn't mess with other people around the bar behind Kyte, but he will cast it regardless.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    Elga
    If you're wantin' to bathe, there are washtubs in the basement and a kettle of water over the fire down there.
    "Thank you, madam." Ulysses finds he can't bow because he's sitting down, so he gives the woman a cordial nod instead. Then he returns his attention to his food and digs in to the hearty if simple fare.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was going to head straight for the bath, but then I remembered I had a plate of food in front of me -- which provides a perfect opportunity to stick around and see what happens with the pocket-picking business! Edit: Okay, well there's part of the outcome. I guess DavidByron posted while I was typing. I'll revise accordingly, as follows:

A shout and a flash of bright light both explode suddenly from the other end of the bar, wrenching Ulysses gaze around. "What in all the hells--!"
    Last edited by souldoubt; 2008-01-05 at 07:24 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick arrives to get his drink chilled by Matthew just in time to receive a partial blast from Mathew's Color Spray. He screams in dazed confusion, "Argh! The drink! The drink! Not my eyes!" He drops his stein and begins to claw uselessly at the unknown substance in his eyes.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

((OOC: Hilarious responses! I don't think rolling initiative matters - everything I wrote in my post happened, and Kyte wouldn't do anything during his "turn" besides wait for Matthew to take back the book.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save - (1d20)[8]

Kyte is stunned. The spell book falls from his hands, and he drops to his knees, then to the floor, unconscious.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-05 at 08:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Althea nodded at the man who offered to show her around. It wasn't much, but it was more then enough. She smiled as he left, watching some of the other people in the bar walk around. It wasn't until her attention fell upon the wizard again did something fall drastically amiss. Or rather, other people fell. The sudden flash, the scream of thief, and the painful screams of her friend all boiled together.

A growl escaped the barbarian's mouth as she stood, knocking the chair back several feet as she did so. She felt her teeth almost grind together as she controlled her anger at least somewhat. Destroying the bar might not be the best way to try and join the Adventurer's Guild. Still, not doing anything would be even worse. A thief should never be tolerated, especially not one who would take another's life item like the wizard's book.

She drew her large blade roughly, holding it ready and by the thief. "Give the book back!"

((Just as a side thing, but Althea is close to raging))

((EDIT! Bugger, too slow. I think I'll leave it here for now though.))
    Last edited by ArtifexFelicis; 2008-01-05 at 08:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Quickly grabbing back the book....

Dravick! Don't worry you'll be fine in a few seconds. Walk it off, walk it off!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela Quickly slams her mug on the table, and bolts to a standing potion, drawing her scimitar in the same motion and flipping her shield into a "ready" positon.

She caught a wiff of the Color Spray in her peripheral vision, and so raises the shield to cover the lower half of her eyes to deny it any chance of hurting her if it was through again. Even with just that little bit, she finds herself with trouble breathing, as if someone had driven a knee into her diaphram.

When the man she was just talking to ... Kyte was it? Drops to the deck, she relaxes about four hairs.
    "By the Lady! What in the -?"
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

19. - Top - End - #199
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Fin, had mostly been lost in his own little world for a bit here. Eyes closed, Arms crossed simply thinking, and Zoning out as it were. Wondering what he was going to do about Drake, in addition to these new teachings that showed up on his lap. Of course, he wasn't Deaf either, and he heard Matthew yell THIEF just in time to open his left eye just in time to close it quickly as the room is suddenly turned into a light show.

Fin getting up, shaking his head, and seeing spots looks straight at our good mage, and then at the Fallen Kyte. "Gah.. wasn't an easier way to pull that off.....?""

20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Oh no you didn't!

Zan was located just over Matthew's sholder when the spell went off, thankfully not between him and Kyte. Still, he leaned back in surprise, as though he were almost hit. "Yikes... what was that all ***-..." Zan trailed off as it sank in what Kyte had tried. And, almost uncharacteristically, his eyes narrowed and he walked over to the fallen thief.

Spoiler
    Show

Zan was trying to say "about" and was cut off at the first three letters. Not sure why it censored....
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2008-01-05 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Weird...

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Default Ulysses Valeris, [Very Confused] Human Knight

Hearing the cry of "Thief!" and seeing several people go down at the flash of the spell, Ulysses leaps into action, placing himself as best he can between the caster and the rest of the room's occupants.

"Stand down, mage!" he bellows, hand on his swordhilt, invoking the same tone of command he used to use on the parade grounds with his father's armsmen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm gonna roll an Intimidate check here, just to give a sort of numerical baseline for how effective Ulysses's attempt to use his "drill marshal" voice is. Feel free to roleplay your own responses accordingly, or just ignore it, as you see fit.
    (1d20+7)[20]

He sweeps a hard gaze across the wizard and the enraged blond-haired woman, sparing a glance for the collapsed "thief(?)"

"What's going on here? Why did you attack this man?"
    Last edited by souldoubt; 2008-01-05 at 11:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

"The moron at your feet tried to steal Matthew's spell book," Althea explained, her grip still tight on her greatsword. The flash of anger was passing, helped by how the thief was on the ground now. She relaxed somewhat, still watching the big man in front of her. He was far from small, and he remind Althea of a war commander. He had the intimidation aspect down at least. She was ready to defend the mage if she had to though. Course, just the right push would also send her over the edge, but she pushed that happy thought to the farthest parts of her mind.

"Of course, it also didn't get far. What are you trying to do now then?"

23. - Top - End - #203

Matthew's psycho-/nastier/deadly calm/paranoid personality tends to come out a bit more when he's being threatened by violence.....

Stand down yourself, stranger. Are you with him?

Matthew is all out of offensive spells at this point but he knows how to bluff. Seeing the knight has not drawn his weapon yet but has his hand on the hilt, he takes a similar prepared looking stance as if ready to cast another spell.

Are you two spies?

Spoiler
    Show

This is what happens when the newbies don't drink enough beer!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Shiela Trusts Matthew.
    She doesn't trust the armored man who sounds like a drill sergant.

Shiela leans foward on her toes , and quite visibly readies herself for a charge.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax, being as drunk as he is, Laughs hysterically at all the goings on, eventually collapsing on the floor, still laughing.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Default Ulysses Valeris, Human Knight

"I'm trying to restore order here," Ulysses says in response to the blond woman's challenging tone. Seeing everyone very on edge, he removes his hand from his swordhilt. This could go a bad way if I'm not careful. I don't want to fight this wizard or his companions if it turns out he was in the right. Kneeling down by the fallen "thief," he feels for a pulse. Well, at least the wizard's attack doesn't seem to have been lethal.

"My name is Ulysses Valeris, and I'm no spy," Ulysses replies as he straigtens up, bristling at the accusation. He glances down at the the prone form again. "I cannot speak for this unfortunate fellow.... Perhaps... his hands should be bound...?" Ulysses would prefer if the wizard's hands were bound too, but in this company it looks like he wouldn't get away with suggesting that.

"When he comes around, I imagine you'll both have to answer to the guildmaster to explain this incident." He eyes the wizard pointedly. "That is, assuming you're done attacking guildmembers for the day."

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope that Ulysses rushing forward into a situation he didn't comprehend was sufficient for roleplaying a 9 Wis. I think any further stupidity that might get him into a fight with the rest of the guild would drop him into the 6-7 bracket.

As to newbies not drinking enough beer, a knight does not indulge in such a vice.
    Last edited by souldoubt; 2008-01-06 at 11:06 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    But a brbarian, especially a dwarf, does, in extremely large quantities. And since its free...

VLax is still laughing at how seriously everyone seems to be taking everything (it doesn't help that he's also hammered out of his head, and keeps falling over whenever he tries to stand up again)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

As Dravick begins to regain his senses he is confused by what seems to be going on in the common room. Everyone seems on edge and Kyte is on the floor. What the heck just happened?!? He notices that both Sheila and Althea have drawn their weapons and Matthew seems quite on edge. "What is going on here?" Dravick screams, as his own hand drops to the hilt of his sword.

Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #209

Elga screams and crawls under a table. Ana, unable to join in the shouting, decides to influence the situation through a different technique. She quickly sets a a cask of ale on the bar, pops open the cask using an implement designed for that purpose, jumps up to stand on top of the bar, then picks up and swings the open cask so a wave of ale sloshes out and soaks everyone standing around the bar. Bruce and Eldon enter the room just in time to be splashed in the face by the flying ale, leaving them sputtering and bewildered.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Ulysses's hand starts to move in the direction of the swordhilt protruding from behind his shoulder, but he stills it.

"Stay your hand, bard," he cautions. "No one here is your enemy."

"The rest of you, kindly put your weapons away. I'm honor bound to never attack an unprepared opponent, but I'm equally bound to meet force with force. Please don't provoke any more violence where none is needed; save your fighting for the battlefield."

As he concludes his plea, Ulysses finds himself drenched in ale. Wiping the pungeant liquid from his face, he stares up in renewed confusion at the barmaid standing atop the counter. The only distinguishable thought his befuddled mind can latch onto is: Well, good thing I didn't take that bath yet....

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!