New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Order of the Stick: September I

Yep Elan is stupid enough to pull off being an ogre pretty well...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

"Oh, you're just so cute when you are unjustifiably confident." - Haley

Any DM's ever think this about their players?

Bill
    Bill&&&&\"And if I have a choice I\'ll take the voice I\'ve got `cause it was hard to find.\" Concrete Blonde

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

*rolls along the floor, shedding in mirth*

"Ok, I do as you say, strange ogre I have ever seen before. I go."

My players WISH I'd let that happen ;D

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe you should, if you have one who can perform that illusion who has a high enough charisma modifier...
    if something seems to good to be true.... pray it's a natural 20!Original inventor of The Feud
    A Genuine Veeratar!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

Maybe you should, if you have one who can perform that illusion who has a high enough charisma modifier...
    It'd be totally unrealistic, but sure, I could.

-=-=-=-=-

Btw, why does the ogre have a third arm? :o

*points to panel six*

Elan mess up and turn into an athach? ;)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Halfling in the Playground

Of course, since Bluff is based on Charisma instead of Intelligence, Elan would made the ideal secret agent/master of disguise/con man/etc. Counterintuitive, but them's the rules.

Silvadel has a point too, that Elan's dimness helps him "get into character" when playing an Ogre.

My first post, BTW.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gah! My view of what the D&D world looks like is turning into little stick figures!

I just KNOW that every time I think of ogres or the 'change self' spell, I'm going to envision it along those lines! Curse you Rich Burlew! Curse you for helping me see what D&D looks like! :P
    I cannot actually think of anything witty to say here.

Proud owner of a Gorbatar

Important 9-11 information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Uncle_Doug View Post
    Wizard: "I move the rock with the power of magic!"
    Psionicist: "I move the rock with the power of my mind!"
    Shadowcaster: "I move the rock with the power of Shadow!"
    Truenamer: "Asknsdfksdfhasdjfhsn!" *rolls a 5* "Blast! Not again."

Trophy Case
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

I love how the ogres don't use capital letters.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Perhaps Elan has a very high bluff modifier. At his level, being around 10th.. and with 18 Charisma, he certainly has the capacity to have a modifier that makes even the unrealistic seem plausible with a good enough roll.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

The ogre guarding the cave kinda looks like Roy.

11. - Top - End - #161

Roy should kick his butt and take his sword!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Ah, Elan...setting the cause of bard respectability back one year at a time...per panel...
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

Elan is VERY dumb. Dumb as only a character in a humorous comic that makes fun of the dumb can be. But he's also brave and noble. His first instinct when seeing an underwater ogre is to jump in and fight it so Haley can rescue others. That's one reason beyond his good looks she likes him. Even though he's staggeringly Dumb.

EDIT: Also it was funny.
    What is your obsession with my forbidden closet of mysteries?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

Perhaps Elan has a very high bluff modifier. At his level, being around 10th.. and with 18 Charisma, he certainly has the capacity to have a modifier that makes even the unrealistic seem plausible with a good enough roll.
    Yes, well, get your escape artist and balance skills high enough and you can squeeze through keyholes and walk on clouds without magic, but that doesn't make it anything but unplausible ::)

This kinds of dumb D&D skill use is what made the comic so funny, because it obviously ain't just me noticing it ;)

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

"On second thought, maybe Roy doesn't need to know about any of this."

Priceless.

NASCRAG Judge in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

pirate-man founder me love thog!

Sneak. A. Tar.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Bill
    "Oh, you're just so cute when you are unjustifiably confident." - Haley

Any DM's ever think this about their players?

Bill
    What I love is how proud they are about succeeding at pointless tasks, like aceing their sneaking rolls while they creep through a completely enpty house, and fast-talking an ally into doing what they were planning to do anyway. Yeah, guys, you rock. ::)

Aside: Thanks to the Giant for getting the comic up on the holiday, and here's wishing him a smooth transition into (another) new environment. Hang in there!
    Sailors Puzzled by Strange Music at Sea; Choral Reef to Blame

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vorpal_Tribble
    Yes, well, get your escape artist and balance skills high enough and you can squeeze through keyholes and walk on clouds without magic, but that doesn't make it anything but unplausible ::)

This kinds of dumb D&D skill use is what made the comic so funny, because it obviously ain't just me noticing it ;)
    Yes, well, doing implausible things with extremely high skill scores can be handled in several ways;
    - The GM says: That's implausible. You can't do it. Suck it up.
    - Everyone around the table accepts it as a balancing issue.
    - Since the world is magical (and therefore implausible in itself), extremely high skills border upon magic - very clever Escape Artists actually make their bodies partly liquid, allowing them to trickle through keyholes. Not by magic as such but by "mind over matter"; In a world where forty-tonne animals can fly around, and not consume the entire world's population of animals to keep this up, "implausible" gets a whole new meaning.
    - Players (and the GM) thinks it's fun that some characters can have the skills of Chiun (from The Destroyer books/comics) or Li Mu Bai (from the well known Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon movie), for instance.

18. - Top - End - #168

ElfRangerGuy

Ah, how satisfying to return from a long holiday weekend and get two steaming helpings of tasty OotS goodness! :D

(rubbing hands together gleefully) Plus I finally got my copy of "Dungeon-crawlin' Fools". A friend picked one up for me at Gen Con but I couldn't arrange to get it from him until yesterday. Autographed by Rich; my happiness abounds!!

happy happy joy joy
    happy happy joy joy
    happy happy joy joy joy!
    "To be gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely, all you have to do is to believe that one is gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely, and I believe it of myself." Stephen Fry

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Elan, such a source of humor and he doesn't even realize it. Great comic.

Since I was gone for the weekend I have a question about Roy and the Ogre/2. Why does he get attacks of oppertunity? Roy was charging (at least he says so) and therefore the ogre/2 doesn't get AoO's. At least that is how our group has always played it. THe handly little table from WotC says No under AoO. It's not a move action, although it does include movement. We allow AoO from other creatures that threaten the charging character, but not from the target creature, otherwise what is the point of having a charge?
    All hail the Dark One!

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" I'm a level 8 Idiot.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Actually you're not fitting through that keyhole unless your head is small enough to fit through it. Now a little assistance from a friend with a heavy mace and you might just do it though...

Fixed quote tag...
    All hail the Dark One!

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" I'm a level 8 Idiot.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Banned

Not by magic as such but by "mind over matter";
    Yes, thats called psionics ;)

In a world where forty-tonne animals can fly around, and not consume the entire world's population of animals to keep this up, "implausible" gets a whole new meaning.
    Except for the roc, aren't most creatures who do that already magical naturally?

Actually you're not fitting through that keyhole unless your head is small enough to fit through it. Now a little assistance from a friend with a heavy mace and you might just do it though...
    According to the Epic Level Handbook, a book that needs burned and its ashes scattered within the negative energy plane (except the monsters which are cool), all it takes is a DC 80 escape artist check to go through a space smaller than your head:
    http://srd.pbemnexus.com/epicSkills.html#escape-artist

If you pick the right feats and max out your skill and only raise your dex, you could actually do it around level 28 or so with a nat 20.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elethiomel

Yes, well, doing implausible things with extremely high skill scores can be handled in several ways;
    - The GM says: That's implausible. You can't do it. Suck it up.
    - Everyone around the table accepts it as a balancing issue.
    - Since the world is magical (and therefore implausible in itself), extremely high skills border upon magic - very clever Escape Artists actually make their bodies partly liquid, allowing them to trickle through keyholes. Not by magic as such but by "mind over matter"; In a world where forty-tonne animals can fly around, and not consume the entire world's population of animals to keep this up, "implausible" gets a whole new meaning.
    I tend to try to be more realistic in my games. I'll make the world and people a bit more flashy and use overly elaborate methods of getting an easy task done just to make it all more interesting and make the world seem a bit more fantastical.
    However, I don't like to let players do things that seem over the top like the examples you all are giving. If you let them do things like that, they're just gonna try even more outrageous things, and if you don't want to let them do what they're trying to do, you'll run into an inconsistency problem and they'll want to argue that "you let my character do this, why shouldn't he be able to do this?". As for the implausability of magic, yes there's magic in the world. Some can harness these powers, some can't.
    If you want to do crazy stuff like walk on clouds or squeeze through a key hole in my campaign, you'd better be playing a magic user.

23. - Top - End - #173

Yes, thats called psionics ;)
    Psionics is mostly mind over external matter.

Except for the roc, aren't most creatures who do that already magical naturally?
    "Except for the roc". I rest my case.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Techonce
    Elan, such a source of humor and he doesn't even realize it. Great comic.

Since I was gone for the weekend I have a question about Roy and the Ogre/2. Why does he get attacks of oppertunity? Roy was charging (at least he says so) and therefore the ogre/2 doesn't get AoO's. At least that is how our group has always played it. THe handly little table from WotC says No under AoO. It's not a move action, although it does include movement. We allow AoO from other creatures that threaten the charging character, but not from the target creature, otherwise what is the point of having a charge?
    Ooooh, I just looked at the SRD. CombatI.rtf. There's a table in it that lists actions and whether or not they provoke an attack. It clearly says "No" under Charge. I think I need to go back and replay a whole mess of battles.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Nihility

I tend to try to be more realistic in my games. I'll make the world and people a bit more flashy and use overly elaborate methods of getting an easy task done just to make it all more interesting and make the world seem a bit more fantastical.
    However, I don't like to let players do things that seem over the top like the examples you all are giving. If you let them do things like that, they're just gonna try even more outrageous things, and if you don't want to let them do what they're trying to do, you'll run into an inconsistency problem and they'll want to argue that "you let my character do this, why shouldn't he be able to do this?". As for the implausability of magic, yes there's magic in the world. Some can harness these powers, some can't.
    If you want to do crazy stuff like walk on clouds or squeeze through a key hole in my campaign, you'd better be playing a magic user.

So you're going for the option of the GM saying: No, that's implausible. You can't do it. Suck it up. (And try a different way of solving the problem.)

Which is entirely valid, and wasn't meant to be looked at in a negative way in my post.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elethiomel

So you're going for the option of the GM saying: No, that's implausible. You can't do it. Suck it up. (And try a different way of solving the problem.)

Which is entirely valid, and wasn't meant to be looked at in a negative way in my post.
    I know. I was just stating the way I run my games. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with letting your players do crazy,unnatural things. It's all about having fun.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Banned

Amen, brutha ;)

Psionics is mostly mind over external matter.
    The 65 or so psychometabolic powers, along with most of the clairsentient and a bit of the telepathic, psychoportative and psychokinsesis powers deal purely with the self, affecting none but the manifester.

"Except for the roc". I rest my case.
    The roc is special case and 'should' be a magical beast. Humans on the other hand for example are very rarely inherently magical.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC

Ooooh, I just looked at the SRD. CombatI.rtf. There's a table in it that lists actions and whether or not they provoke an attack. It clearly says "No" under Charge. I think I need to go back and replay a whole mess of battles.
    The charge in itself is not a "distracting act" and does not qualify for a "distract-AoO". If the charge-move makes one leave a threatened square somewhere along the way that still makes one a viable target for a "movement-AoO".
    The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept.

Unrelated to the above:
    I was gone from the forums for seven years, two months and a week. Let's see if I've been reeled back in.

29. - Top - End - #179

The 65 or so psychometabolic powers, along with most of the clairsentient and a bit of the telepathic, psychoportative and psychokinsesis powers deal purely with the self, affecting none but the manifester.
    All right. I still maintain that weirdness through high skill can have its place in a campaign.Not all campaigns, of course - tone, pace, atmosphere, these all matter. I just react badly when someone says something shouldn't be possible because it's "unrealistic" or "implausible". This is a game, it's not about realism or plausability -- it's about fun. Realism and plausability may make a game more fun, but it may make another game less fun.

Much the same way that the comic is about humour, not about realism or strict adherence to the rules.

The roc is special case and 'should' be a magical beast. Humans on the other hand for example are very rarely inherently magical.
    Humans, for example, are very rarely epic level.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II

The charge in itself is not a "distracting act" and does not qualify for a "distract-AoO". If the charge-move makes one leave a threatened square somewhere along the way that still makes one a viable target for a "movement-AoO".
    grrr...I missed footnote 1:
    1 Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity. This column indicates whether the action itself, not moving, provokes an attack of opportunity.