New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Order of the Stick: September I

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    grrr...I missed footnote 1:
    1 Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity. This column indicates whether the action itself, not moving, provokes an attack of opportunity.
    This was a point that was brought up in our group. OUr general consesous was that the creature did not get an AoO and we felt that this was WotC's thought as well (but we may be wrong). The charge description doesn't say a creature get the AoO and there are no feats that would allow you to remove the AoO. Improved Trip, Sunder, Disarm, etc all remove AoO from those special attacks, yet Charge is left out.

On the other hand... I just read through anything I could find on this subject t the WotC site and they manage to never actually say anything. THere is a blurb about Ride y Attack and Spring attack being there to avoid the AoO, but they also have the character leaving the area as well...

I must think about this...
    All hail the Dark One!

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" I'm a level 8 Idiot.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

I take one day off from checking and I have to read forty posts in one thread.

Now, as for Elan in ogre form having three arms, yes he does. You can see Elan completely AND the ogre. When his arms protrude from the ogre body - voila, three arms!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Perfect Explanation for the three arms:

Elan mistakingly cast a 3.0 spell in a 3.5 world! THis probalbly caused the problem.

One day Rich will get rid of the extra arm and no one will ever notice...
    All hail the Dark One!

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" I'm a level 8 Idiot.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jades
    Now, as for Elan in ogre form having three arms, yes he does. You can see Elan completely AND the ogre. When his arms protrude from the ogre body - voila, three arms!
    In panel 6, you can see three arms for the ogre in addition to Elan's two.

I'm not saying Rich made a mistake, though--Elan probably just hasn't practiced the spell enough... ;)
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, &&for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eep... didn't notice that one. I think its Elan's fault too, not The Giant's.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Poor Haley has discovered one of the rules of Boyfriend Behavioral Conservation: every time they do something cool, they will compensate by doing something really stupid. ;)

So, what are the chances that in the excitment of the fight, their loot-wagons were broken into by an irate landlord? :-/
    Sailors Puzzled by Strange Music at Sea; Choral Reef to Blame

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

Awesome!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure about that, but I'm thinking Elan... Haley, alone in Cave.... anyway, Just wonder what Belkar is up to.
    \"For the humble doily is indeed the gateway ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!!\" I am 2631!!!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

Going by previous behavior, I would presume Belksar is...
    Harvesting kidneys...
    Killing things bigger than him...
    Something petty and selfish that will end up costing his team...
    Assaulting a team mate over something stupid...
    Any combination of the above.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

Belkar-- Miko's horse?
    Haley and Elan alone in a cave.... just when it starts to get interesting Belkar arrives?

V.. doing something gender unspecific.

Roy and Miko flirtatious banter being rebuked by naivety.

Durkon doing cleric type stuff..

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

known as: spellcasting
    Horses have an even number of legs. Behind they have two legs, and in front they have fore legs. This makes six legs, which is certainly an odd number of legs for a horse. But the only number that is both even and odd is infinity. Therefore, horses have an infinite number of legs.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Comic will be up in about two hours.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thanks for the update, Giant. We hadn't even started whining yet.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II

The charge in itself is not a "distracting act" and does not qualify for a "distract-AoO". If the charge-move makes one leave a threatened square somewhere along the way that still makes one a viable target for a "movement-AoO".
    My concern was more that the Ogre received 2 attacks of opportunity against 1 Target, claiming Combat Reflexes. Combat Reflexes clearly states that you may receive an additional # of A's of O = your DEX modifier, but you may still only make 1 A of O per target, regardless of how many actions provoke the A of O. So even if we assume that the Ogre threatens 2 quares and gets an A of O for Elan entering Sq1, he takes it. The Elan leaves Sq1 and enters Sq2, an action that as above probokes an A of O, because Mr. Ogre had already taken 1 A of O against him, he may not take a second A of O.

The debate of whether Elan gets an A of O for entering Sq 1 - My 2¢ is that he would not, though moving to Sq 2 would provoke one.

Off topic and as an Aside - Mr Burlew: I would like to thank you on behalf of Reaper Miniatures for your kindness to our staff and our Demo Team members during GenCon.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Comic will be up in about two hours.
    Sweet. One fix, coming up....

As a side note, due to the holiday on Monday, my gaming group got together for an impromptu session and used it as an opp for people to try out the new stand alone classes in the 'Complete' series or new PrC. We took a break specifically to read the new strip and that prompted a tangent on OotS that must have lasted 30 minutes. I also brought the 2 OotS books I got at Gencon and that spurred some 'discussion' as well. Ah, good times. ;)
    "Time and space exist not. There was no past, and there shall be no future. NOW is all. All things that ever were, are, or ever will be, transpire now. Man is forever at the center of what we call time and space. I have gone into yesterday and tomorrow and both were as real as today." R E Howard

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techonce
    This was a point that was brought up in our group. OUr general consesous was that the creature did not get an AoO and we felt that this was WotC's thought as well (but we may be wrong). The charge description doesn't say a creature get the AoO and there are no feats that would allow you to remove the AoO. Improved Trip, Sunder, Disarm, etc all remove AoO from those special attacks, yet Charge is left out.
    Charging itself doesn't get an AoO unless the person you're charging has Hold the Line; there is no feat to bypass HtL. Barring HtL, there is still the possibility of taking AoO from leaving threatened squares. There's no feat to bypass this, but the Swashbuckler ability Acrobatic Charge probably will. Mobility will help in this case.

Also, as mentioned before, footnote 1 on page 141 says that they get an AoO for moving reguardlessly.

Anyway, the main difference between maneuvers like tripping and grappling getting a feat to remove the AoO and charge getting a feat is that you can easily charge without provoking an AoO; just not so easily against someone with reach. In the same reguard, it's not easy to get up to range to trip or grapple somebody with reach without provoking an AoO.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LargeMythicalReptile

In panel 6, you can see three arms for the ogre in addition to Elan's two.

I'm not saying Rich made a mistake, though--Elan probably just hasn't practiced the spell enough... ;)
    I like to think that it is a blurry-motion effect. Elan's waving his arms about, utilizing his natural ogre-impersonation (would that be imogreation?) ability. :)

~Olivine
    ~Better is the Enemy of Done~

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chronoshift
    The ogre guarding the cave kinda looks like Roy.
    [Roy]Is that another "Fighters are dumb" crack? That's it, we're going down a level.[/Roy]
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techonce

On the other hand... I just read through anything I could find on this subject t the WotC site and they manage to never actually say anything. THere is a blurb about Ride y Attack and Spring attack being there to avoid the AoO, but they also have the character leaving the area as well...

I must think about this...
    Here's an idea (though this should be over in Gaming). The charge, against a medium creature w/o reach does not generate and AoO (straight line to closest point and you never leave a square threatened by the target). In Roy's case, the 1/2Ogre has reach and is large, so in order to reach the target w/ his Greatclub, he has to leave a threatened square. Hence the movement generated AoO by the 1/2Ogre.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Fairy Modmother: No more discussion of the AoO rules in the monthly comics thread please. There has been another whole comic almost two since then, please take it over to gaming. Which is where the other thread on the topic is going too. They've been sitting around for almost two comics after the fact, it's gaming time now.

Edit: New rule! Lilly isn't allowed to use bbcode with a migraine.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

New comic is finally up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

22. - Top - End - #202

Anyone know if that rule applies in Real Life? Sure sounds like an excuse to get older to me. :)

Great Character, Rich.

.sig offline

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

*Snicker*
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

OMG!!! It almost brought a tear to my eye remembering how many times i ran parties through "The Keep on the Border lands" While I was learning how to GM. Just remember people "Bree Yark!!" means I surrender in Goblin <snicker>

...And Palace of the Silver Princess had all my favorite art by Erol Otis. Oh wow the memories.

I am sooo stinking Old!!!

Great comic Giant as usual
    23 years on D&D and still learning

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

Excellent comic, as always, but...

Border on the Keep & The Silver Princess were D&D adventure, not AD&D.
    D&D had no NWP (correct me if I'm wrong), but something introduced in the gazeteers and creature crucibles called "Skills", which is a simplified form of NWP.

But then again, who cares? it's funny!
    The glass isnt half full, nor is it half empty, it\'s just twice the size it should be!

26. - Top - End - #206

Brilliant!

Not only are old people better-sighted, they're SEX-AY!!!!!!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

Yet again something very strange in the world of D&D.
    Do you believe in magic? \'Cause if you don\'t I\'ll find you and make you!&&&&Micca Ducan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3711

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

Huzzah for NWPs!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

"And we liked it that way!"

Ahh, reminds me of an old SNL (or was it SCTV?) skit.
    Commander Lock: Dammit, Morpheus. Not everyone believes what you believe.

Morpheus: My beliefs do not require them to.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elethiomel

Yes, well, doing implausible things with extremely high skill scores can be handled in several ways;
    - The GM says: That's implausible. You can't do it. Suck it up.
    - Everyone around the table accepts it as a balancing issue.
    - Since the world is magical (and therefore implausible in itself), extremely high skills border upon magic - very clever Escape Artists actually make their bodies partly liquid, allowing them to trickle through keyholes. Not by magic as such but by "mind over matter"; In a world where forty-tonne animals can fly around, and not consume the entire world's population of animals to keep this up, "implausible" gets a whole new meaning.
    - Players (and the GM) thinks it's fun that some characters can have the skills of Chiun (from The Destroyer books/comics) or Li Mu Bai (from the well known Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon movie), for instance.
    Beside I don't even found it so unplausible?

nobody ever accused ogres to be smart (they have a -4 INT penalty for god's sake, they are not humans smart they are dumb monkeys smart), plus that was a bluff attempt where the target wanted to believe it,(guarding prisoners that you can't eat is boooring) and not put him to risk, that mean from a -0 to - 5 penalty (or bonus depending on how you put it) and to conclude Sense motive is not a ogre class skill nor a fighter or barbarian class skill, If I was a GM and the situation happened in my game I would have handled it exactly that way.

And about squezzing into a keyhole/walking on cloud is worth noting that those are around dc 50/dc 100 skill checks, if a GM let these level of skills into his game he should not complain if someone use them.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard