New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tyranids vs Xenomorphs, which galactic horror would win?

Quote Originally Posted by Talkkno View Post

"Their ship is soft and flexible. Its construction materials are semi-permeable and laced with a network of delicate circulation passages. Instead of using impermeable high-density materials, it's made from countless tiny thin-walled cells which tend to rapidly break down in the presence of corrosive chemicals or radiation."
    You mean impermeable high-density materials like an outer wall of high mineral content chitin, sufficiently toughened to endure space travel and the weapons of opposing forces? That kind of high density impermeable stuff? Why would you assume the entirety of a Tyranid ship is soft?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    You mean impermeable high-density materials like an outer wall of high mineral content chitin, sufficiently toughened to endure space travel and the weapons of opposing forces? That kind of high density impermeable stuff? Why would you assume the entirety of a Tyranid ship is soft?
    It is merely an joke of the silliness of Organic technology matching traditional heavy metal technology.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aliens can beat Predators, and they're pretty high-tech.
    And as for either vs Human-
    The Aliens always get defeated by explosion.
    The Tyranids always get defeated by exterminatus on a planetary scale.
    If the Aliens were in the 40k Universe, I predict they'd get Exterminatus, too.

And yeah, Tyranids are pretty much just a cheap rip. There's also the fact that some old 'Nid models WERE literally just Xenomorphs given 40k rules.

I'd still put my money on the aliens, actually.
    You've just been Warshruck.

http://s15.invisionfree.com/Realm_of...ex.php?act=idx
    You there. Yes you, the person reading my signature. Go to this website. Do it now. It's a small roleplaying website which was first based on Warhammer, but now contains a hell of a lot of Homebrews. You should join them. Join them now.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

The 'Nids would decimate the aliens. Even if they are a rip off.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Warshrike View Post
    Aliens can beat Predators, and they're pretty high-tech.
    And as for either vs Human-
    The Aliens always get defeated by explosion.
    The Tyranids always get defeated by exterminatus on a planetary scale.
    If the Aliens were in the 40k Universe, I predict they'd get Exterminatus, too.

And yeah, Tyranids are pretty much just a cheap rip. There's also the fact that some old 'Nid models WERE literally just Xenomorphs given 40k rules.

I'd still put my money on the aliens, actually.
    'Nids have survived the Exterminatus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    My old avatars, in order of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    If the players don't, its a glaive to the face.
    I was tempted to just have that say "Its a glaive to the face."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"What? And we were supposed to be afraid of this? Open fire!"
    That is all.
    This is made of win and cookies.

break down in the presence of corrosive chemicals or radiation."
    is it too late to point out the fact there is radiation in space?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkone8752 View Post
    is it too late to point out the fact there is radiation in space?
    only if I'm allowed to point out that LEDs, your average toaster, cell phone, computer monitor, and pretty much everything emits SOME kind of radiation, even if its just your standard blackbody heat.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiov View Post
    only if I'm allowed to point out that LEDs, your average toaster, cell phone, computer monitor, and pretty much everything emits SOME kind of radiation, even if its just your standard blackbody heat.
    you know, most of those items are designed to emit EM radition on a wavelength of 400-700nm...........

*wonders how quickly the geeks will get the joke*

And nids are not a rip-off. Nids are aliens extrapolated into a army that can fight conventional battles and win.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Simply basing it off of my own personal enjoyment, the xenomorphs should win. This below is also from a basic browsing of Wikipedia for the 'nids.

Looking at it more objectively, and given that the 'nods have a time advantage, it would entirely be when the xenomorphs attack, and how they attack. On their own, the xenomorphs are a smart little bugger of a species, and is able to figure out most basic machinery fairly easily. However, according the the fourth movie, they also get drastically smarter depending on each new generation of bugs. In Ripley's case, when the Queen was born from a human, THOSE aliens could read, because of the genetic memory from Ripley.

So basically, it all really depends on how the attack starts. If the aliens have only really been able to get weak wildlife or even just humans or something not so good for a while, then they would probably lose. If they get a Queen of the 'nids, then it could be much more different. Hell, they might even fly under the tyranids' "radar" because they're the same beings for a while.

Of course, a Carnifex Xenomorph combination would be awesome, now that I think about it. Especially a Queen version.
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Xenomorth queen heirophant? That thing would be massive.

Riov, i was talking about noticeable radiation :P. Hell laser is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation (damn, i had to look up the exact wording, havn't seen it since i read it in a spelling book in like 1st grade.).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArtifexFelicis View Post
    Simply basing it off of my own personal enjoyment, the xenomorphs should win. This below is also from a basic browsing of Wikipedia for the 'nids.

Looking at it more objectively, and given that the 'nods have a time advantage, it would entirely be when the xenomorphs attack, and how they attack. On their own, the xenomorphs are a smart little bugger of a species, and is able to figure out most basic machinery fairly easily. However, according the the fourth movie, they also get drastically smarter depending on each new generation of bugs. In Ripley's case, when the Queen was born from a human, THOSE aliens could read, because of the genetic memory from Ripley.

So basically, it all really depends on how the attack starts. If the aliens have only really been able to get weak wildlife or even just humans or something not so good for a while, then they would probably lose. If they get a Queen of the 'nids, then it could be much more different. Hell, they might even fly under the tyranids' "radar" because they're the same beings for a while.

Of course, a Carnifex Xenomorph combination would be awesome, now that I think about it. Especially a Queen version.
    as said before, Tyranids Queens are in orbit and having something with the same brain structure as the Tyranids meand you in effect are a Tyranids, subject to the wims of the nearest Synapse. If the try to do it on a Synapse then the Ships from orbit would order it to infitrate the hive. The Ships can go up to 45km long so The probably woudn't even notest a chestburster. And if they could get na ship equivilent then the fleet is a conglomerate mind that would override the Queen. Who is a lot farther away, and at this point probably has less mental power.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Mostly because I can really, here is a following argument for it. Could it also be possible that the Xenomorph Queen is more "powerful" with her link, and that the tryanid Queen would not be able to overcome it? That would throw a large monkey wrench into the Tryanids, since the Aliens would then be able to control them without even bothering to kill and impregnate them.

Of course, throwing another wrench into the works would simply basing it off how the xenomrophs evolve. Something like the Predator/Xenomorph Queen can impregnate a creature directly, without any eggs at all. Should a Xenomorph/Tyranid come about, she might be able to even force the tyranids nearby her to "grow" their own xenomorphs from their body, without a single touch from the Synapse actually affecting them. The xenomorphs are very much so a super invasive species, and merely getting part of their genetic thoughts into the Synapse might be enough to bring the whole thing under the Xenomorphs sway.
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by ArtifexFelicis View Post
    Mostly because I can really, here is a following argument for it. Could it also be possible that the Xenomorph Queen is more "powerful" with her link, and that the tryanid Queen would not be able to overcome it? That would throw a large monkey wrench into the Tryanids, since the Aliens would then be able to control them without even bothering to kill and impregnate them.
    why whould her mental control be stronger than the gesalt intellgence of every other Synapse nid in that hive fleet, or possibly (depending on which version of the fluff you read) every other Synapse in existance? she might be able to control over out of Synapse nids, but if they were under the orders of a Synapse creature, then i can't see the queen winning a straight contest of willpower.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

biggrin Re: Tyranids vs Xenomorphs, which galactic horror would win?

Awesome post OP, just had to ressurect this one.

IIRC any alien drone has the ability within it to hide away and transform into a Queen given correct conditions. Easiest example I can recall is the ending of AvP 2010 on the aliens campaign on the nightmare difficuty. Your drone evolves into a Queen after the old one is destroyed. The drone seems to enter a metamorphosis stage where it goo's up an area and eventually splits its skin.

It is definately a hard battle. But I think the aliens would eventually win. They have a psychic link with their queens, which would feasibly provide some defence from the hive minds ability to call warp storms and wreak general psychic havok.

Also, as stated about the nids hive mind, their synapse may even be vulnerable to the alien queens call.

The tyranids would react to the face huggers implantation in the same way they would react to a parasite. The instant a facehugger hit a nid that is within synapse, they would be aware of the parasite.

The nids devour everything planetside eventually, they would just send the "infested" nid into a gene pool. Gaining the DNA memory of the entire alien species. But, it would take time for the DNA to be properly analysed by the nid queens. We are talking about a species just as biologically complex as the tyranids.

Now the aliens, the aliens would sacrifice a couple of drones figuring out the tyranids weaknesses (synapse) and then they would basically swarm any synapse creatures they could attack without serious casualties. Also, I reckon the facehuggers wouldnt have much of a problem implanting a host. By nature nid organisms survive if you cut off a couple of limbs, and it only takes one synapse creature to be captured and we have potential alien invasion of nid synapse.

Then you would have termagants with flesh borers, reacting to the call of any alien/nid hybrids, and the alien queen.

There coming out of the walls! Game over man! Game Over! ;)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

This is gonna get locked so fast
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr Kitteh View Post
    It is definately a hard battle.
    No it's not. The tyranids have creatures that can charge a futuristic tank, shrug off its fire, and tear it appart by hand; swarms of flying creatures with guns; and millions of "infantry" -- all insertable from orbit, and with perfect discipline enforced by creatures that can withstand rocket-propelled, armour-piercing grenades, output comparable or superior firepower, and fry enemies' brains. The xenomorphs are so far out of their league it's laughable; the tyranids will eat them all and find nothing worth copying. The only reason xenomorphs ever win is because they catch small groups of unprepared humans or voluntarily handicapped predators in cramped quarters, while the tyranids conquer planets defended by over the top sci-fi armies.

They have a psychic link with their queens, which would feasibly provide some defence from the hive minds ability to call warp storms and wreak general psychic havok.
    There's no evidence of that. Control does not imply protection, especially greater protection than the 'nids themselves can manage against psychic attacks, being powerful psykers in a universe full of dangerous psykers.

Also, as stated about the nids hive mind, their synapse may even be vulnerable to the alien queens call.
    There's no reason to expect compatibility in that regard, unless xenomorph queens have been known to control other species. On the contrary, the overwhelming presence of the 'nid hive mind messes with other species' psykers; often, that happening to an entire planet is the first sign that the 'nids are coming.

But, it would take time for the DNA to be properly analysed by the nid queens. We are talking about a species just as biologically complex as the tyranids.
    Doesn't matter. The xenomorphs don't have anything the 'nids don't do better. Unoriginal though they may be, even the genestealers are far better at what they do, whether it's infiltrating unsuspecting societies or opening space marines like tin cans.

Now the aliens, the aliens would sacrifice a couple of drones figuring out the tyranids weaknesses (synapse) and then they would basically swarm any synapse creatures they could attack without serious casualties.
    Even if the xenomorphs somehow find a synapse creature that's not surrounded by hordes of 'nids and capture it, the 'nids will know where it is and hit that location with everything I described above before an embryo can gestate. And even if a "synapse xenomorph" reaches maturity, it would be useless against the greater 'nid hive mind and, if anything, fall under its control.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teron View Post
    No it's not. The tyranids have creatures that can charge a futuristic tank, shrug off its fire, and tear it appart by hand; swarms of flying creatures with guns; and millions of "infantry" -- all insertable from orbit, and with perfect discipline enforced by creatures that can withstand rocket-propelled, armour-piercing grenades, output comparable or superior firepower, and fry enemies' brains. The xenomorphs are so far out of their league it's laughable; the tyranids will eat them all and find nothing worth copying. The only reason xenomorphs ever win is because they catch small groups of unprepared humans or voluntarily handicapped predators in cramped quarters, while the tyranids conquer planets defended by over the top sci-fi armies.

There's no evidence of that. Control does not imply protection, especially greater protection than the 'nids themselves can manage against psychic attacks, being powerful psykers in a universe full of dangerous psykers.

There's no reason to expect compatibility in that regard, unless xenomorph queens have been known to control other species. On the contrary, the overwhelming presence of the 'nid hive mind messes with other species' psykers; often, that happening to an entire planet is the first sign that the 'nids are coming.

Doesn't matter. The xenomorphs don't have anything the 'nids don't do better. Unoriginal though they may be, even the genestealers are far better at what they do, whether it's infiltrating unsuspecting societies or opening space marines like tin cans.

Even if the xenomorphs somehow find a synapse creature that's not surrounded by hordes of 'nids and capture it, the 'nids will know where it is and hit that location with everything I described above before an embryo can gestate. And even if a "synapse xenomorph" reaches maturity, it would be useless against the greater 'nid hive mind and, if anything, fall under its control.
    Quoted For Truth. Their isn't really anything that Xenomorphs can do that Tyranids can't do in a greater scale.
    It's like an old steam train, but powered on insanity and pain.

Uncle Fong avatar by Elagune

My Homebrewed Creatures:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Ripley will win.

(anyway, my easy bet is on 'Nids)
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

So, Ripley, CIAPHAS CAIN and a predator walk into a bar...
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #50

No it's not. The tyranids have creatures that can charge a futuristic tank, shrug off its fire, and tear it appart by hand;
    Aliens have melted armored battleships just by bleeding. And imperial tanks are hardly futuristic. They're basicaly WW I-II tanks with lots of skulls. Even traitor guardsmen laugh at them.

swarms of flying creatures with guns; and millions of "infantry" -- all insertable from orbit, and with perfect discipline enforced by creatures that can withstand rocket-propelled, armour-piercing grenades, output comparable or superior firepower, and fry enemies' brains.
    Rocket-propelled, armour-piercing grenades that have trouble slowing the charge of unarmored walking soft funguses, since marines seem to always end up having to melee orks. Again, not saying much.

The xenomorphs are so far out of their league it's laughable; the tyranids will eat them all and find nothing worth copying. The only reason xenomorphs ever win is because they catch small groups of unprepared humans or voluntarily handicapped predators in cramped quarters, while the tyranids conquer planets defended by over the top sci-fi armies.
    Correction, the nids win against the Imperium because they fight a fanatic enemy that refuses inovation and adaptation and is renowed for shooting down it's own forces.

Plus, 40K is not sci-fi. It's fantasy. Guardsmen are WW I soldiers using WW I tactics, like forcing trench wars of atriction and massive bayonet charges. Space Marines are knight templars charging with all kind of exotic melee weaponry with huge flags tied at their backs and bright colored armors, with tanks and bikes to help them get in melee faster instead of horses (altough the space wolves use cyborg wolves). Even against enemies specialized in melee combat. In space! There's also space ocs orks, elves eldars, zombies necrons, vampires C'tan, demons, ect, ect.

Aliens on the other hand fight actual sci-fi soldiers with stuff like portable nukes, powerfull multi-purposed weaponry. Aliens have all the reason to be carefull against them. Nids can afford frontal charges against the imperium because the imperial forces will charge back at them.

Doesn't matter. The xenomorphs don't have anything the 'nids don't do better. Unoriginal though they may be, even the genestealers are far better at what they do, whether it's infiltrating unsuspecting societies or
    opening space marines like tin cans.
    The marines that have been known to be shot down by medieval arrows and wooden lances in some ocasions? And again, not that hard to infiltrate a society that runs on sheer fanatism and punishes intelegence. "A small mind is easily filled with faith". "An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

You know what hapened to a poor guardsmen who tried to report a group of Ork Kommandoz sneaking nearby? Executed by his own force for cowardice. Because the imperial dogma(not updated for several thousands of years) said orks would never use stealth and always charge in masse. And that's the military. Now imagine what would happen if a civilian tried to report nids sneaking in the city.

Some imperial "heretics" have performed experiences with captured nids to find out their weak points, and when not killed by the inquisition, the nids didn't exactly come bursting trough the doors to stop their job.

Plus nid ships are renowed for being extra slow.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-03-17 at 05:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

I would like to hear how Xenomorphs match up against a Bio-Titan, Carnifex or Zoanthrope.

Simply put, they don't. At all.
    Last edited by Deca; 2010-03-17 at 05:59 AM.

My Homebrewed Creatures:

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Aliens have melted armored battleships just by bleeding. And imperial tanks are hardly futuristic. They're basicaly WW I-II tanks with lots of skulls. Even traitor guardsmen laugh at them.
    Yep. Ceramite armoured tanks that can fire lasers, clearly WWI-II standard issue.

Rocket-propelled, armour-piercing grenades that have trouble slowing the charge of unarmored walking soft funguses, since marines seem to always end up having to melee orks. Again, not saying much.
    Well actually, a bolter can mess up an Ork pretty badly. And if it doesn't, that hardly means the bolter is weak. Orks are just that tough. Also latent psykers.

Correction, the nids win against the Imperium because they fight a fanatic enemy that refuses inovation and adaptation and is renowed for shooting down it's own forces.
    Are you suggesting that Xenomorphs would do better? Imperials encounter Xenomorphs, Imperials blast the planet the Xenomorph's are sitting on. You know what would be an advantage for Xenomorphs? Actual technology of any kind.

Plus, 40K is not sci-fi. It's fantasy. Guardsmen are WW I soldiers using WW I tactics, like forcing trench wars of atriction and massive bayonet charges. Space Marines are knight templars charging with all kind of exotic melee weaponry with huge flags tied at their backs and bright colored armors, with tanks and bikes to help them get in melee faster instead of horses (altough the space wolves use cyborg wolves). Even against enemies specialized in melee combat. In space! There's also space ocs orks, elves eldars, zombies necrons, vampires C'tan, demons, ect, ect.

Aliens on the other hand fight actual sci-fi soldiers with stuff like portable nukes, powerfull multi-purposed weaponry. Aliens have all the reason to be carefull against them. Nids can afford frontal charges against the imperium because the imperial forces will charge back at them.
    Technically sci-fi/fantasy but call it what you will. And yes, clearly Imperial Guard always charge the Nids. It's not like they regularly use artillery or tanks. Oh wait...

The marines that have been known to be shot down by medieval arrows and wooden lances in some ocasions? And again, not that hard to infiltrate a society that runs on sheer fanatism and punishes intelegence. "A small mind is easily filled with faith". "An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

You know what hapened to a poor guardsmen who tried to report a group of Ork Kommandoz sneaking nearby? Executed by his own force for cowardice. Because the imperial dogma(not updated for several thousands of years) said orks would never use stealth and always charge in masse. And that's the military. Now imagine what would happen if a civilian tried to report nids sneaking in the city.
    I would really like to know how you think an armoured Marine can be killed by arrows or wooden lances. And I would imagine that the civilian's report would actually sound an alarm and once proven, a call for distress. Civilians dont get executed for cowardice.
    Also, I find your Guardsmen example incredibly iffy as there are numerous fluff and codex sources that talk of entire specialised squads of Guardsmen who's job is to infiltrate and report enemy positions. Clearly, they are all executed once they return from their missions.

Some imperial "heretics" have performed experiences with captured nids to find out their weak points, and when not killed by the inquisition, the nids didn't exactly come bursting trough the doors to stop their job.
    Usually because they perform the experiments away from the planet the Nids are invading. There is a limit on their psychic senses.

Plus nid ships are renowed for being extra slow.
    Can't argue with this point. Tyranid ships are clearly slower than Xenomorph ships and...wait. Xenomorphs don't have ships. Slow world-scouring behemoths are better than no world-scouring behemoths at all.

My Homebrewed Creatures:

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Deca View Post
    Yep. Ceramite armoured tanks that can fire lasers, clearly WWI-II standard issue.
    Lasguns are tecnically laser weapons, yet they hit as hard as regular rifles.

Well actually, a bolter can mess up an Ork pretty badly. And if it doesn't, that hardly means the bolter is weak. Orks are just that tough. Also latent psykers.
    By that logic, I could argue that the nids are only stomping on the imperium because the orks think it is funny and thus the WWWAAAGHHH did it.

Are you suggesting that Xenomorphs would do better? Imperials encounter Xenomorphs, Imperials blast the planet the Xenomorph's are sitting on.
    Just like they blast orks from space? Nah, they blast only after sending several regiments to the meatgrinder, giving the aliens plenty of oportunities to catch a lift. That's how stealers get around as well.

You know what would be an advantage for Xenomorphs? Actual technology of any kind.
    Fair point, but hey, if they can get hold of a single ork and their WWWAAAGHHH!!!! ability to make technology out of anything....

Technically sci-fi/fantasy but call it what you will. And yes, clearly Imperial Guard always charge the Nids. It's not like they regularly use artillery or tanks. Oh wait...
    Of course they do. They just seem to have horrible aim as the guardsmen end up having to charge anyway.

Also, sci-fi societies don't use mainly 10.000 year old weapons and tactics, as they're, well, suposed to always be inovating and developing new weapons. The only race that could actualy be called sci-fi in 40K are the Tau.

I would really like to know how you think an armoured Marine can be killed by arrows or wooden lances.
    Clearly those armors have some big open joints. Being 8 foot tall means having more blind spots. Also, helmetless marines.

And I would imagine that the civilian's report would actually sound an alarm and once proven, a call for distress. Civilians dont get executed for cowardice.
    Also, I find your Guardsmen example incredibly iffy as there are numerous fluff and codex sources that talk of entire specialised squads of Guardsmen who's job is to infiltrate and report enemy positions. Clearly, they are all executed once they return from their missions.
    My example is from the ork codex.

In the Witch hunters codex, an entire regiment is indeed sentenced to death after finding out a chaos cult for fear of corruption. Mass sterelization is a standard for any city attacked by chaos.

Like they say, you either die by refusing to join the Imperial Guard, or die by joining the Imperial guard. Over the top Grimdarkness and everything.

Usually because they perform the experiments away from the planet the Nids are invading. There is a limit on their psychic senses.
    Just to make that clear.

Can't argue with this point. Tyranid ships are clearly slower than Xenomorph ships and...wait. Xenomorphs don't have ships. Slow world-scouring behemoths are better than no world-scouring behemoths at all.
    Fair point. Notice I didn't said that the aliens would win, just that the nids were being described as too way over the top. After all, even in their own universe aliens are reduced to toy status by humies and predators.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-03-17 at 07:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly those armors have some big open joints. Being 8 foot tall means having more blind spots. Also, helmetless marines.
    I think Deca don't know the fluff you're referring to (sounds like his was a request of "citation needed")
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground

It's an example that gets thrown around a lot, usually not to point out how weak marines are, but to show how stupid the Black Library can be. At least one book is set on a feudal planet with medieval tech level, where marines are killed by being ambushed by archers and charged by knights. I haven't read the book in question, but it seems to be one of the worst examples of bad writing and should hardly be counted as canon.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

This battle really is severely one-sided. The Xenos came first, but the 'nids were made as infinitely bigger and meaner Xenos to exist in a universe where things like Exterminatus is common.

The Xenos would learn the 'nid tactics, and would avoid any head-on battles where they would simply be swarmed. They're smart, I'll give them that. The problem is by the mid-to-end portion of the war the 'nids will no longer be concerned by tactics and just throw as many troops at the Xenos as are needed to wipe them out.

As for the Xenos facehugging a 'nid, that raises the question of just how facehuggers work. Most 'nids bigger than a Ripper don't have a digestive system. They have mouths for biting and nothing else. Even if facehuggers can implant a chestburster into their throats, it wouldn't take long for the Hive Mind to simply evolve an army with no throats at all. In fact, against the Xenos the 'nids would probably be able to win without mouths too. Xenos can't facehug, their numbers are limited, Tyranids win.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    As for the Xenos facehugging a 'nid, that raises the question of just how facehuggers work. Most 'nids bigger than a Ripper don't have a digestive system. They have mouths for biting and nothing else. Even if facehuggers can implant a chestburster into their throats, it wouldn't take long for the Hive Mind to simply evolve an army with no throats at all. In fact, against the Xenos the 'nids would probably be able to win without mouths too. Xenos can't facehug, their numbers are limited, Tyranids win.
    Even if they do get facehugged, it's not like tyranids have anything like a sense of self-preservation. They're just going to kill the facehugger and throw the thing and the now-dead tyranid it was attached to into the nearest reclaimation pool.

Seriously, the nids operate on an entirely different scale than the xenomorphs. Tyranids strip an entire planet of all organic material, drink the atmosphere, and then move on. As previously pointed out, they fight the best soldiers in existence in a grimdark over 9000 setting, and win as often as they lose. A less-numerous and weaker version of themselves? Not even an interesting diversion. Xenomorphs would lose to guardsmen, let alone something like Space Marines or Tyranids.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Ben View Post
    Even if they do get facehugged, it's not like tyranids have anything like a sense of self-preservation. They're just going to kill the facehugger and throw the thing and the now-dead tyranid it was attached to into the nearest reclaimation pool.

Seriously, the nids operate on an entirely different scale than the xenomorphs. Tyranids strip an entire planet of all organic material, drink the atmosphere, and then move on. As previously pointed out, they fight the best soldiers in existence in a grimdark over 9000 setting, and win as often as they lose. A less-numerous and weaker version of themselves? Not even an interesting diversion. Xenomorphs would lose to guardsmen, let alone something like Space Marines or Tyranids.
    Yup.

I mean, average guard unit, average batch of colonial marines?

Fair fight, at worst for the IG.

Average full strength, prepared batch of CMs versus a Xenomorph hives? Judging from "Aliens" it'd be the kind of victory you show in the propaganda movies. Only reason they lost was really bad luck. And Burke.

And Gorman.

And the sequel director being an ass to the characters.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Yup.

I mean, average guard unit, average batch of colonial marines?

Fair fight, at worst for the IG.

Average full strength, prepared batch of CMs versus a Xenomorph hives? Judging from "Aliens" it'd be the kind of victory you show in the propaganda movies. Only reason they lost was really bad luck. And Burke.

And Gorman.

And the sequel director being an ass to the characters.
    That was also just one squad. IG come in regiments. IG are also used to (in the case of seasoned troops) or at least expecting to run into horrible aliens of death and destruction, and have doctrines in place to fight them. So they're going to fare better than colonial marines agains xenomorphs.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Wow, a 2 year necropost... That has to be a record of some kind.
    I mean, what page must it have been on?