New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Keenest Edge

Wotan

"Perhaps we are over thinking this. They are only ogres after all. My great-grandfather was fond of saying 'no battle plan survives contact with the enemy' and I think, perhaps, we should simply go and try our luck."
    I'm not wearing any pants.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Kiehn Sondergaard

The dwarven swordsage shakes his head. "I understand that adage, but it helps to have some kind of plan before encountering the enemy. I'm not a big fan of running pell-mell into a group of hungry ogres."
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daesha

"Fine, if we must, we can let some of them slip around us and eat the merchants. Let us go, so as to get it over with quickly. I will scout with Ranik."

Daesha turns away and walks closer to the road leading to the pass, and then pulls out her obsidian and breathes deeply, letting the negative emotions wash out of her.

Thanks, Shades of Gray, for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jason looks after Daesha with a scowl.

(Hrmph. I expected better of her...)

"Fine. It is about an hours march to where the ogres are presumably waiting in ambush. So we can walk and plan at the same time. But we better agree on a course of action before we run into the ogres."

He looks between the others. It doesn't take a psychic to realize that he's not happy with the way things develope.

"Or we could do this like professionals and actually finish a plan before we set off. Your choice."

(Dammit.. i knew they don't have the kind of discipline a legionaire has, but to walk off like that is simple unexcusable. 10 lashes would have been the least...)

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daesha

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+8)[19]

Daesha glances at Jason, reading his temper clearly, and after a few moments of more deep breathing returns to the group.

"I'm sorry, I'll try to curb my tongue next time. But there are so many variables, it would be far more 'unproffessional' if we missed any of them and they took it out on the next set of travelers."
    Besides... Since when did men actually care about tactics?
    She sighs, and then straightens, "Most plans don't survive first contact with the enemy, but how is this for a rough idea of positioning for our patrol: Ranik, Kiehn and I will scout. Kiehn, as he is likely the most conspicuous, will be the forward scout. Ranik and I will take the sides, where we can more easily flank any attackers. Jason, you and Wotan move on one side, while Amras and Garpak travel parallel to you a distance away. That way we're all relatively close, but not as likely to attract attention, and we can cover a wider area."

Taking in a deep breath, "Complicated enough now?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jason looks up as Daesha returns, pleasantly surprised and quite glad to hear her put foreward her own take on things.

(Hm. Maybe i was a bit fast in judging her...)

Smiling, he answers: "You are absolutely right of course. We cannot afford to miss any of the ogres, lest they slip past us and attack the people we are meant to protect while we are far away and unable to do anything about it."

"So you would prefer we spread out a bit more to maximise our search area. I think that is a good idea. And hopefully, when we do come across the ogres, we will still surprise them, or at least have enough time to reform before closing for melee."

"Any other suggestions ? If not, who is in favour of this plan ?"

Again, Jason looks around between the others, this time raising his hand as he does so.

Lycar

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Wotan

Wotan nods slightly, meeting Daesha and Jason's eyes as he does so.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Amras

Amras has not interjected into the conversation so far, although he shrugs as Jason seems to agree with the plan. Overall, no problems. The details might get a bit tricky, though. I take it you want Kiehn to draw out the ogres - and anything else - that might be there? In this case we will need to be close enough to support you quickly if you get in more trouble than you can handle.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2008-01-20 at 05:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Garpak

"Yes. Yes. Yes, let us do it. Plan is fine. 'Sgreat in fact. Ye're sure of its success, I know. Smart types always are."
    The dwarf looks tired of waiting.
    "Spread out. Protect humans. Kill all ogres. I got it."
    sorry to:
    -neophyte's game
    -gladiator players
    -tlotb readers
    -irc 4e game dudes
    -tooth and claw

apologies for flaking out of all that stuff

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Kiehn Sondergaard

"I'm up for it, certainly. Unless they get lucky early, I should manage well enough until support arrives," the swordsage grins as he flips his trident from hand to hand before planting it in the ground and raising his own left hand. "Let's do it!"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jason nods.

"Very well, then let's do this before the sun goes down again."

He just turns around and starts walking, using his shortspear as a walking stick.

"Of course," he adds smirking, "the proper way would have been to formulate contingency plans in case we get surprised... or in case our scouts don't evade detection.. or in case it starts to rain... or in case it ... "

Jason just trails off. His tone of voice suggests he was just joking around anyway. Also he teams up with Wotan, following Daeshas suggestion.

(*sigh* That's what happens when you don't have a clear command structure.. 'ropes pulling in every direction, cancelling each other out...' Oh father, how right you are... at least we all still pulled into the general direction of 'let's take care of the ogres'.)

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-01-21 at 01:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

The morning has brightened as plans were being made, and now the sun is well on its climb towards the zenith. trekking up the mountain is slower than regular travel, as the party winds their way through the forested face, but it is not appreciably difficult, as the mountain path is not exceptionally steep, it almost forms a valley between the mountains on either side, and it is not long before Kiehn comes into view of a destroyed caravan, preceded by a signpost, made of the front axle of one of the carts, with the word "Ogres" and a skull painted on with whitewash. Four graves, marked only with wood from the nearby wagons, sit on the side of the road. Otherwise, the caravan is picked clean.

Daesha, Ranik, & Kiehn
    Spoiler
    Show

As the party begins to leave the caravan behind, as the three of you are once more forging ahead of the group, there is the faint sound of several animals suddenly moving very quickly, as if being flushed out by something. The sound comes from far ahead of the party, towards Daesha's side, but near enough to the road ahead for both others to catch it as well.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Daesha
    listen - (1d20+7)[15]
    spot - (1d20+5)[12]
    Ranik
    listen - (1d20+4)[20]
    spot - (1d20+2)[8]
    Kiehn
    listen - (1d20-1)[17]
    spot - (1d20-1)[8]
    I messed up and rolled with Wotan's stats, so both Kiehn's results are 3 higher than shown
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-01-22 at 03:23 PM.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Kiehn Sondergaard

The swordsage makes a show of investigating the wreckage. As the group nears the site of the commotion, he mutters in a stage whisper, "Ogres? BAH! Waste of skin, ya ask me!" Kiehn winks at Daesha and Ranik, nodding towards the commotion as he walks towards it.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-01-22 at 04:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daesha

Daesha, moving on the left arm of the fighters' roughly pentagonal formation, hears a commotion, and hand signs to the scouts, who already heard, as well as to the heavier fighters. After the entire group starts heading that way, she flanks out wide to the left, planning to come in perpendicular to Kiehn. (and the rest of the heavies, whenever they get there)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Wotan

Moving up on the right side of the formation, Wotan strolls up in the direction of the paused scouts, not at first noticing they have stopped. He stops for a moment himself when he gets a look at the signpost and graves.

16. - Top - End - #76

Garpak

Garpak stumps along the path, whistling an old nursery rhyme taught to him by his mother (the lyrics were something like Close your eyes, rest your head, we'll kill all of them dead), when all of a sudden, everyone stops walking. He almost walked into the sign, actually. As it were, he read what was written on it, and
    "Ogres?!" he roared, drawing his axe. "Where are- oh. No ogres. 'S just a what do you call it. A marker?" he says, to no one in particular.
    He walks over to the graves.
    "Guess they weren't hungry?"
    sorry to:
    -neophyte's game
    -gladiator players
    -tlotb readers
    -irc 4e game dudes
    -tooth and claw

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Abardam View Post
    Garpak
    "Guess they weren't hungry?"
    Jason

"... guess they just buried the bones..." Jason replies glumly.

Yes, it is hard to imagine a human corpse being picked clean by a humanoid figure. Touches at some primal human fear really.

Of course, since the first human discovered that a pointy stick can be used to bring the hurt to the predators, the table has begun to turn. If he can help it, the days of these ogres preying on his kin are over.

One way or another...

Jason takes a deep breath and hardens his grip on his shortspear. Then he turns to Garpak.

"You may want to pay a bit more attention. The point of having scouts is to be warned about approaching enemies before you run into them. Literally. Won't want to be the only one to miss the cue to start fighting, now would you."

Jason doesn't really sound like he's berating the dwarven Crusader. Garpak is probably so certain about him crushing the ogres that the very idea of deafeat is alien to him. But such hubris could endanger the entire squad... er.. group. He would have to keep an eye out for this sort of thing.

Lycar

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Amras

The elf walks silently, and tries to keep his eyes open - although the more experienced can guess that he lacks the almost preternatural awareness others of his race have. For the time being, he has sheathed his sword and has taken up a bow instead. He comes to the markings, giving the marker a curious glance before continuing to where the graves are. He holds one of his hands with the palm down and says a few rhyming phrases in Elven.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those who know it recognize it as an entreatment of the spirits of the land... Those familiar with forest elf culture know it as a prayer for the dead.

He then looks at Jason and the dwarf warrior. Don't you think it looks a bit off? It looks like someone else had passed here and given the people a burial, and even bothered to leave a warning. Ogres don't usually do that.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Almost as if it were a cue, Daesha's hand signal catches the group's attention right after Jason finishes speaking. A short while later, she catches Garpak, Wotan, and Amras' attention with hand signals as well, giving indication of the direction and presence of the disturbance. Those who focus their gaze in that direction catch little, as it was a fair distance off, but the forest quickly grows quiet, and the silence washes down from up the mountain, and over the party at the graves.

20. - Top - End - #80

Garpak

Garpak looks sideways at Jason. "I really think I would notice if people were fighting." When Amras finishes talking, he starts to reply, but suddenly the whole place was filled with silence.
    Despite himself, he shivers. "Wh-what is it, Tahliten," he asks. He calms himself, breathes deeply. "Is it the ogres?" he roars, brandishing his weapon.
    sorry to:
    -neophyte's game
    -gladiator players
    -tlotb readers
    -irc 4e game dudes
    -tooth and claw

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jason falls silent when he catches Daesha's signal and gestures to his companions to do the same. More out of habit then actually feeling he has to tell them to do so.

He changes the grip on his spear to combat-ready position and ... waits.

Lycar

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daesha

Hearing the dwarf's bellow, Daesha winces and, being too far away to speak quietly and still be heard, shakes her head and continues on her route, one blade unsheathed.
    Last edited by Kai-Palin; 2008-01-28 at 04:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Kiehn Sondergaard

Mimicing Daesha's movements, though not with as much stealth, Kiehn proceeds toward the position of the commotion. Senses on straining to hear or see anything that might allow him to react in the moment of truth about to appear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dunno if you want 'em, but here's checks in case...
    Listen: (1d20+2)[10]
    Spot: (1d20+2)[9]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

There are a few moments of tension as nothing happens, and then the sounds of movement are once again heard from ahead, this time by all. Soon the sounds are followed by a lone deer fleeing through the forest, in the direction of the party. The deer is quickly followed by the first ogre to be seen on the mountain.

He looks like ogres should, tall and all muscle and bare, hairy skin. His bestial face is lit up with the excitement of the chase, ears almost flapping with his jarring movements. He is dressed in a loincloth, but also has pieces of chainmail held together over various areas of his body, creating a very primitive armor. However, all these things quickly fall to the side as one feature leaps forth to grab all attention. Gripped in each hand is a large weapon, and it seems unlikely to have been made by an ogre's hands. The first is a hefty battleaxe, a crescent headed iron weapon too large for any dwarf or human fist to hold. The second is a sickle blade, held like a stevedore's hook.

The deer rushes madly across the road and through the trees, heedless of anything but the monster at its tail, and the ogre, a dim and thoughtless beast, is thusfar unconcerned with anything that isn't his chosen prey. Wild-eyed and frothy mouthed both, they chase each other towards your position.

However, the deer, propelled by fear and strong in body, outstrips the ogre and manages to continually lengthen the distance between them, until finally the ogre slows and comes to a halt. The dear crashing away into the woods, the ogre has come to a stop in the middle of the road, about 30 yards from Kiehn's position.

((Surprise round, then normal rounds beginning with the party. Out of mapping distance right now, but will probably be within after the surprise round. At least after the ogre's first round.))

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Kiehn Sondergaard
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 18/18; AC 22 (+4 dodge v. giant), t 18, ff 14

The dwarven swordsage grins at the ogre. "Oh, whatever shall I do? There is an ogre before me!" he calls in a mock falsetto. Kiehn adopts the stance of clarity, and sets his trident to receive a charge while motioning the ogre forward. "Please, don't hurt me!" he adds with a twinkle in his eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stance of Clarity: +2 AC vs Ogre #1, -2 AC vs any other opponent.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daesha

Seeing the ogre chasing after the deer, Daesha wishes luck on the animal. Crouching in the shadows, she calls to the creature, "Have you been killing merchants?" hoping that it will be too stupid to lie. Having seen various things on their trek so far, they didn't seem to add up to this lolloping, armed, and rather stupidly happy creature in the middle of the road.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motives of the ogre (if possible): (1d20+8)[23]

She stands up, and moves a little way into the open, about forty feet from the ogre, where shadows flicker around her despite the sun shining down on her. Her stance shifts, and she tries to read its body language, looking for aggression. If the ogre charges her, she pivots just before his attack and hits him in the chest, making him stagger. She quickly scoots about ten feet toward Kiehn, shadows flaring up from the ground around her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pre-emptive Counter Charge roll using dexterity: (1d20+6)[22] (2 dex mod +4 for being a size smaller. if not, remove 4 from the roll.) I'm assuming you know how Counter Charge works, so if not, just let me know.

HP: 18/18; AC: 17, Touch: 15, Flat-Footed: 12; Maneuvers Readied: Wind Stride, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Counter Charge, Clinging Shadow Strike; Stance: Child of Shadow
    Last edited by Kai-Palin; 2008-02-05 at 06:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Wotan

Seeing the ogre Wotan begins to walk forward, drawing his battered old bastard sword and going into a high open strongly offensive stance. Passing by Daesha and Kiehn he whispers to them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If it charges it has reach on you, you know."

Continuing forward Wotan fixes his steady unnerving stare on the ogre, just waiting to be able to catch it's eye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving 20 feet forward, going into Punishing Stance. Attempting to start a contest of wills; concentration check (instead of intimidate because of Unnerving Calm) (1d20+14)[33].
    Initiative check for when we get to the normal round (1d20-1)[7].
    HP 34, AC 11(15 vs giants);Touch 7/11; Flatfooted 11, Maneuvers readied; Moment of Perfect Mind, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Steely Strike.

28. - Top - End - #88

Garpak

The dwarf blinks. "This, is the ogre? That's been eatin' merchants?" Unexpected, but one should not judge on looks (or species) alone. Nevertheless, it paid to be ready, so Garpak plants his feet beside Wotan, toughening his muscles in anticipation of the blow to come.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stonefoot stance: +2 to AC and Str vs larger creatures; AC 18 + 4 (giant) + 2 (stance) = 24; maneuvers readied: Crusader's Strike, Vanguard Strike, Charging Minotaur, Stone Bones, Steely Strike; maneuvers granted: none yet
    sorry to:
    -neophyte's game
    -gladiator players
    -tlotb readers
    -irc 4e game dudes
    -tooth and claw

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Amras

Spoiler
    Show
    HP 26, AC 16. Prepared Maneuvers: Stone Bones, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Steel Wind. Known Stances: Punishing Stance

((There isn't anyone near the ogre, right?))

Turns out our hunt might be the more successful here, hmm? Amras whispers hoarsely. He spares the ogre and his weapons only a look before nocking an arrow and giving his aim a try.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Presuming range to the ogre of under 60 feet: Attack (1d20+4)[7], Damage (1d6)[6]

Having opened the attack, he drops the bow and readies his sword in its stead.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jason

Jason quickly assesses the situation and concludes that closing in for melee before the ogre gets a chance to prepare himself properly would be prudent.

"Go, go, go, let's close in while he's still flat-footed."

Still he wants to give the ogre a chance to surrender, so he stops about 10' away from the ogre, spear raised, and demands "Ogre! You are surrounded by superior forces! Surrender or die!"

Lycar