New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Computer Problems

I'll get to the chase, since I'm afraid my computer might lock up while I'm typing this...

Basically, my computer is acting like crap.

It's.. how to put it, it feels like I only have 32m of ram Even the slighting of actions can often cause my computer to lag. About once every few seconds I get a sort of lag spike on my computer.

Like if I were to move my mouse around in a circle, it would sometimes stop and teleport. As I type right now sometimes the words stop coming as I type then suddenly appear. Get what I mean?

Originally I just had the occasional (but MASSIVE) lag spike. This was accompanied by some sort of clicking sound that I suspect (but could not confirm) came from one of my hard drives.

All I can do is post my 'symptoms' right now and hope someone recognizes the problem, however due to my suspicion of my HDs I'll be buying a new one soon.

To be honest I'd probably be buying a new HD anyways because I keep running low on space (though not right now as I reformatted both of my drives because I was paranoid of a virus.. I lost everything ), but I'd really like to be sure of what the problem is regardless, because if I did get my new HD and the problem persisted... eh.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Computer Problems

If you haven't changed any other hardware recently, it sounds more likely to be a virus than anything else. I'd just back up whatever you can, reformat the current hard drive, and see if that fixes it before buying a new HD.
    "I'll make you party at my funeral
    'Cause mourning is for suckers.
    I'll rent a ferris wheel and
    cotton candy machine and have open bar
    with all the Pabst that you can drink
    the PA blasting my Clash records.
    You'll finally know that life's okay
    Even when bad things happen"
    Stand There Until You're Sober,
    Bomb the Music Industry!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samiam303 View Post
    If you haven't changed any other hardware recently, it sounds more likely to be a virus than anything else. I'd just back up whatever you can, reformat the current hard drive, and see if that fixes it before buying a new HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    I reformatted both of my drives
    Already did that

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Check your cooling. Make sure all your fans are running, especially the CPU fan and northbridge fan (if you have one). Listen for any ticking or grinding from the fans, which could indicate they are running slowly.

If everything looks fine, install Speedfan which will (probably) show your CPU temp. Watch it while you are experiencing spikes: if it's considerably higher during those periods, I'd suggest investing in a new CPU fan.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The temperatures seem steady

Is 42C (the average) really high or is it about average?

Ps. On another note, I bought my new hard drive and caught 'updatus computeritus' from my friend Cody.

So I'll be buying a new computer almost entirely, save for my Radeon X1650 which seems good enough as is.

Memory
    Motherboard
    Processor

Does everything look good here, and if so can someone recommend a Sound Card?
    Last edited by Setra; 2008-01-02 at 01:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know mine runs at 25c, if this little thermomiter is to be trusted, however this is a beast from christmas. Hella ventalation and such. Thats all the help i can give.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skreweded View Post
    I know mine runs at 25c, if this little thermomiter is to be trusted, however this is a beast from christmas. Hella ventalation and such. Thats all the help i can give.
    From what I can tell the temperatures we have listed are actually too 'low'

Taken from an information site.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    The temperatures seem steady

Is 42C (the average) really high or is it about average?
    That's pretty high. Here at work we'll shut down servers if they get above about 40oC. Yours should be running closer to 25oC to 30oC.

Setra, I think that chart you're looking at is in oF, not oC. I can't fathom a system running at near boiling.

((42oC is about 108oF))
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2008-01-02 at 01:47 AM.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah I figured out a minute ago it's probably Fahrenheit, the C at the end of each had just confused me....

This speedfan program shows Celsius right?

Oddly enough I'd find it more likely my computer is running 42F than 100+F

If only because the temperature in which I am sitting at right now is rather low... then again it's not THAT cold.. maybe (I've been getting used to the cold lately)

Edit: Just changed the config.. it WAS using Celsius... -.- Okay so my system is a tad hot... um.. crap.

Edit Edit: I've decided to go into denial because I'm being stupid and am thinking "There's no way my computer could be that hot!"

Edit Edit Edit: I have two fans, the one in the back is going about 3500rpm, and I have another on the side of my case going 1700.

Edit4:

Spoiler
    Show
    Your hard disk is a WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 with firmware 77.07W77.
    The average temperature for this hard disk is 35C (MIN=26C MAX=46C) and yours is 29C.
    Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:
    Your hard disk is not below any attribute threshold. This is good.
    Your hard disk was never below any attribute threshold. This is good.
    Your hard disk is now being compared to real data used to define normal values for your specific hard disk model. This way, the analysis can automatically use proper operating ranges. The images give you an idea of how each attribute is within such range. Current and raw values are shown for easier reference for experienced users. There are 1742 hard disk models in the current archive.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
    10 Raw Read Error Rate 200 0 Very good
    9 Spin Up Time 92 1925 Very good
    8 Start/Stop Count 99 1069 Very good
    8 Reallocated Sector Count 199 9 Very good
    10 Seek Error Rate 200 0 Very good
    0 Power On Hours Count 64 26548 Watch
    Warning: Power On Hours Count is below the average limits (73-98).
    10 Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
    10 Calibration Retry Count 100 0 Very good
    8 Power Cycle Count 99 1008 Very good
    10 Reallocated Event Count 199 1 Very good
    10 Current Pending Sector 200 0 Very good
    10 Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 200 0 Very good
    10 Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 12 Very good
    10 Write Error Rate 200 0 Very good

Spoiler
    Show
    Your hard disk is a WDC WD600BB-00CAA1 with firmware 17.07W17.
    Your hard disk is not reporting its temperature. This is normal for this hard disk model.
    Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:
    Your hard disk is not below any attribute threshold. This is good.
    Your hard disk was never below any attribute threshold. This is good.
    Your hard disk is now being compared to real data used to define normal values for your specific hard disk model. This way, the analysis can automatically use proper operating ranges. The images give you an idea of how each attribute is within such range. Current and raw values are shown for easier reference for experienced users. There are 1742 hard disk models in the current archive.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
    10 Raw Read Error Rate 200 0 Very good
    4 Spin Up Time 101 4000 Good
    9 Start/Stop Count 99 1092 Very good
    10 Reallocated Sector Count 200 0 Very good
    10 Seek Error Rate 200 0 Very good
    5 Power On Hours Count 73 20174 Good
    10 Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
    10 Calibration Retry Count 100 0 Very good
    10 Power Cycle Count 100 949 Very good
    10 Reallocated Event Count 200 0 Very good
    10 Current Pending Sector 200 0 Very good
    10 Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 200 0 Very good
    10 Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 0 Very good
    10 Write Error Rate 200 0 Very good
    Last edited by Setra; 2008-01-02 at 02:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm suspicious that it's not the fan at all, it's that you're running out of RAM or your hardware can't keep up with your software. I had the same experience with a computer that had had its operating system upgraded more than once, but the rest of the hardware was the same as when it was bought as a Windows 95.
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I highly doubt it's 'My Hardware can't keep up'. And I KNOW the hardware I'll be buying should be able to keep up.

I'm still convinced it's my Hard Drive(s) as they're both somewhat old.

On another note anyone have any comments on the parts I listed above? I'll admit I'm not the best with Hardware but they look good to me and I think they should work together, I'm 85% sure anyways, but I'd like to be 100%.

12. - Top - End - #12

Your hardware looks fine to me. I've heard some bad things about Kingston RAM, but I've been out of the hardware scene for several years, so my views could be dated or just wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by adanedhel9 View Post
    Your hardware looks fine to me. I've heard some bad things about Kingston RAM, but I've been out of the hardware scene for several years, so my views could be dated or just wrong.
    Really? All I've heard is good things about Kingston. They move more RAM than most others so it should be expected that a larger number, but not larger percentage, break. They are very good about honoring warranties and customer service. I, too work with computers.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, as crazy hot as they seem to be, I think those Celsius numbers may very well be normal. I know my current computer has an idle CPU temperature of around 60C, and it doesn't seem to be melting or anything bad. The only problem my computer has had is failing power supplies (Its on its 3rd power supply in the ~3.5 years I've had it, and has been on the current one for about 2 years), and I don't think a hot CPU is gonna cause that. If I set the 'High Powered Blower' (its a fan) sitting next to my open tower to its lowest setting, it goes down to 42C. Haven't tried the higher settings, due to a combination of noise and the fan being crazy strong on the lowest setting. The hard drives stay in the 20-30C range, and one of the sensors is apparently broken, and remains static at all times, unless I reboot, where it picks up a new temperature to stay at. I have no clue what that sensor is supposed to be for.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

42C is not bad, but it does depend if its idle or load temperature. That being said I don't know what kind of programs you run that would stress it too severely.

The SMART tests show that your Hard Drives (HDD's) are okay. I would trust that and assume that they are fine for the moment.

What you could consider trying is unplug the hard drive without the Operating system and just use 1 hdd, if everything runs fine, then you can assume its the hard drive causing some problem, if it still runs slow then its either the hard drive you have plugged in, or its another problem entirely.

In this case I would attribute that to your ram, or maybe your motherboard. What you could try is if you have two sticks of ram, remove one and boot, or if its a single stick move it to a different slot.

In general computer problems go something like this, random lock ups under load -> PSU or something overheating, no boot at all -> bad ram or mobo, general crashing -> remove all unnecessary components and plug em back in until something fails and you know it was whatever you installed last.

Hard drives work only when you are accessing them, so once the OS is loaded to memory any random occurrence would start with either RAM or Mobo, especially if it lags when you don't have any programs running.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

With one Harddrive it starts up Bios.. but won't continue...

With the other it starts up and Bios works.. but it will not recognize itself as the primary Master so I can't boot up with it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The New Harddrive won't recognize itself as primary master and due to money being stolen I no longer can afford a new one so I am bringing back this thread.

From what I can now tell, it's being caused by stupidly high temperatures in my CPU and HD1. About 135F.

On a related note it has twice said 'Overclocking Failed' during my bios. This confused me as I have never tried, nor do I even know how to overlock. I have a feeling it might be related.

18. - Top - End - #18

I'd go into your BIOS and try just resetting everything to the defaults. It's possible something got inadvertently set to a higher than normal clock speed, which would cause it to run warmer.

EDIT: Also, don't run the PC if you know you're running too hot. You run serious risk of burning out the CPU by running it at a high temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Honestly, as crazy hot as they seem to be, I think those Celsius numbers may very well be normal. I know my current computer has an idle CPU temperature of around 60C, and it doesn't seem to be melting or anything bad. The only problem my computer has had is failing power supplies (Its on its 3rd power supply in the ~3.5 years I've had it, and has been on the current one for about 2 years), and I don't think a hot CPU is gonna cause that.
    I've heard AMD processors can run hotter than Intel, and I dunno what kinda processor you've got, but mine's measured up into the mid 70s C, and never had any problem (That wasn't even at peak load either). Oddly though, I'm on my second power supply as well.
    Last edited by Samiam303; 2008-02-01 at 01:16 PM.
    "I'll make you party at my funeral
    'Cause mourning is for suckers.
    I'll rent a ferris wheel and
    cotton candy machine and have open bar
    with all the Pabst that you can drink
    the PA blasting my Clash records.
    You'll finally know that life's okay
    Even when bad things happen"
    Stand There Until You're Sober,
    Bomb the Music Industry!

19. - Top - End - #19

As odd as it may sound, when was the last time you cleaned your computer from within? I do it monthly and it drops the average temperature by no less then 10C.

I've heard AMD processors can run hotter than Intel, and I dunno what kinda processor you've got, but mine's measured up into the mid 70s C, and never had any problem (That wasn't even at peak load either). Oddly though, I'm on my second power supply as well.
    The commonly recommended (Intel) Maximum Heat (AKA slow Meltdown of important microcompotents) for the Processor Zone (Hottest zone in the computer) is 70, I find it odd that AMD processors can handle that much more heat without hitting the ceiling

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Eh, 135F/57C is hot and all, but not really out of a normal operating range for a computer.

Grab a big box fan, take off the case on your computer and turn that sucker on high and see if that helps long enough to further diagnose your problem. If that helps then it really might be a heat issue. It could be a heatsink is not seated properly or is loose.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Paladin View Post
    As odd as it may sound, when was the last time you cleaned your computer from within? I do it monthly and it drops the average temperature by no less then 10C.
    Five days ago or so
    I'd go into your BIOS and try just resetting everything to the defaults. It's possible something got inadvertently set to a higher than normal clock speed, which would cause it to run warmer.
    Couldn't hurt.. hopefully.

Ps. Mine is an AMD Sempron 3500+
    Last edited by Setra; 2008-02-02 at 02:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

You wouldn't have google desktop search would you? That killed my old machine, it would "test" the HDDs every minute to see what had changed, and in doing so would use 100 % CPU capacity. ie. lag spikes every minute lasting for about 5-10 seconds, once I uninstalled it the computer worked fine.