New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Union of The Serpent, The Second Generation.

As the conversation carries on you eventually notice the return of the image of the lich. Though now he appears more human than before, and tangible.
    Though you're just now noticing him, you can't help but feel he was there all along. Just sitting there, enjoying a few grapes and the conversation.
    "Oh no, please. Don't mind me. Just enjoying your chit chat. But hey, no neck, if it amuses you I can tell you what happened when I created a plane without chaos or evil."
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Alamandias

Alamandias looks over at the lich, a little perturbed, momentarily, both by his sudden appearance and his casual mention of creating whole planes of existence. But the vampire was nothing if not adaptable. He grinned wide suddenly, chuckling with mirth.

Mmm.. I love stories. Let me take a guess: Nothing happened, because without opposites everything was stagnant?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria Blackblade
    Gloria says nothing. Her blue eyes blaze as she gazes at the shade, and the magically-conjured fork actually begins to crumple in her grip, tightening involuntarily. It's hard to read the Aasimar's emotion, though...Fear? Rage? something else?
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

"Close," the lich said, regarding Alamandias' statement. "But not the case.
    No, as a matter of fact when they were faced with no evil, no chaos, the population split itself in two. One side claiming it was some sort of law based heaven, the other side claiming that it was hell, a world without free thought or random acts of expression. On the brink of war the two factions came to an agreement, it couldn't have been either, as they still aged, and lived, and died. This was in fact no heaven, nor hell and war wasn't going to decide what it was. So they lived, roughly a good twenty years. Until monotony, and the inability to act on a whim caught up to them.
    Four hundred-trillion men, elves, dwarves and all manner of folk inbetween, committed suicide from the most controlled insanity conceivable. It is now populated by a few thousand of the most content Cleircs and Paladins you've ever seen.
    That is what happens when Law, and Good are the only functioning factors in the world. Now,"
    His voice lowered, the night seemed to have set in rather quickly, and the moon was black, "Would you like to know what happened in a world of pure chaos?"

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Alamandias

Alamandias chuckled at the dark tale, enthralled despite himself. The old lich seemed like he might be just a little barmy... particularly with all this god-play. But then again, he knew... and he'd heard as well, that the line between madness and genius was razor thin. And, after all, when you have that much power in your ancient skull, who are lesser creatures to judge you? and for that matter, where does the line between mortality and godhood truly lie.

A brilliant tale... and I'd be delighted to hear the sequel... just one question, though... where did you get all the people from in the first place? I don't pretend to be a spell-weaver, but I understand that the creation of intelligent beings is singularly difficult, particularly on such a scale.

He paused a moment, as if thinking...

Might as well have another guess...hmm... well, in a world of true, undiluted chaos, nothing could really live, because there'd be no continuity of consciousness. No causal flow to give what we call reality any meaning.

He grinned a little. This sounded like another morality tale about balance; he wondered if the lich had a twist ending.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria Blackblade
    Gloria sits still, barely even paying attention to the lich's voice. But her gaze keeps returning to the leathery skin and bone where a face might have once lurked on his skull. Her gaze is searching, but for what...?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I venture to say that you have forgotten the part of the conversation when I said that I was against Darkness, Chaos, and Deceit, m'lord Necrom. Good and Evil are..fancies..that some subscribe to. I do not, but that does not mean that I am against them. One may choose to do with their power and knowledge what one wishes, so long as there is a counterbalance to it. It is order and structure that I strive to bring to a troubled, chaotic world such as this." Ozzariem says, putting down the gold cup.

"Not the tenates of good or evil."
    Who is TheMeanDM?

[Image removed - too large]
    Not as large as SOME.

Head Executioner for House Kato

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

The lich laughed.
    "Then you, no neck are a fool. Subscribing to law, without subscribing to another extreme is the similarity of subscribing to nothing. You will accomplish nothing seeking to destroy this "darkness" without a simple application of law or chaos. Ever wonder why druids live in the woods? It's because their works are so un-unilateral, that their work anywhere else, would fail to have an affect. Your 'light' as you call it isn't the essence of simple lawfulness, it's the same cause that the god Heironeous follows. Law and chaos are nothing when not accompanied by an extreme.
    And to answer the question of what happens in a plane of pure chaos.
    Well, the schoalrs now call it the "Far Realm", and the mindflayers think it's some sort of god.
    And as to how I got all the people onto my 'lawful' plane. Well, at any given moment there are atleast a number incaculable of people who would rather be on any other plane but their own. I simply reached out to their psyche with my own, and pulled them to my plane. Simple as that.
    Now, onto business."

The lich took a drink from a silver goblet.
    "The last time we met you asked me a question so vague it couldn't possibley be answered. Why do you continue towards my mountain?"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria Blackblade
    Gloria looks from side to side.
    Speak up you idiots! Don't keep him waiting! Argh...
    The golden-haired woman gulps, and then speaks
    "Your...brother sent us. He said you would help us find a paladin wandering the East who has a demon-killing sword."
    As Gloria speaks, she traces a finger along the edge of a goblet in one hand.

10. - Top - End - #190

(the site is killing! me today with non-responsiveness! grr!!!)

"Correction, Gloria." the lumi says. "He is a paladin in the South." he says.

"But the rest is accurate. Your brother instructed us to seek you out, relying on the your brotherly relationship with him...and the fact that having a world run by demons may not be in your best interests as much as his." he says to the lich.
    "In fact, I seem to recall that your brother said the following. Mind you, this isn't verbatim. He described it as a very large sword, that can destroy 'the lords of hell themselves'. It is carried currently by a Paladin in the south, the only problem is your brother (and we) don't know who he is. This sword is also an artifact, passed down by the family for centuries."

He continues.

"Your brother also said that this paladin is apparently protected by some ancient powerful magic, which has prevented your brother from learning the paladin's name and or specific location."

He smiles at the lich.

"I suspect that your brother sent us to find you because anyone who is capable of creating an entire plane of existence most certainly should be able to foil some petty ancient spell that protects a simple minded paladin carrying an oversized armor-opener."

"If these magics bested the best mages your brother could find, I doubt very much that they would best you, m'lord Necrom. Such a challenge might be worth your attention, since playing god with planes has apparently gotten boring for you."

"But I would understand if you don't want to battle some ancient magical challenge. I'm sure you've more important things to do at this moment."

Spoiler
    Show

appealing to his vanity, his sense of "I'm a living god, there isn't anything I can't do...especially since I can create planes."

Diplomacy check: (1d20+9)[17]

Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

"And that's how you go about getting answers!"
    The lich exclaimed joyfully.
    "Asking me about a paladin who wields a sword capable of hurting a demon is asking me to list every paladin known to man and gods. You need specifics Ms. Backblade. To get the propper answers, you must first ask the propper questions. As sir no neck has done. If my brother has truly sent you, which I'm assuming he has considering you carry our sigil, then you will most likely be searching for something far more impressive than a simple longsword made out of cold iron."
    The lich rubs his hands together for a few moments.
    "I do however recall some information on this sword. Some ancient-ass weapon, made of mithril or something or another. No books on it, no legends beyond what my brother knows.
    I myself have been searching for such a weapon. Only problem is I can only override so much magic. And if it's a magic I don't understand, I can't break it. And unfortunately, even gods don't know everything. The best I can offer you is that by the time you reach my mountain, I'll have gathered only the most basic of information on it. Name, location, etcetera. It will take a few days, but I've got the time since it will take you some few days to get here. I'll see what I can find out."

The lich sighed. Apparently their innevitable meeting wasn't going to ammuse him.
    "However, you now have to answer a question for me.
    A good long time ago, I created three beasts. Humans and elves alike called them the Elder Beasts. Dwarves called them The Kings of all Monsters. And wee folk try to forget their exhistence.
    One, was the largest land creature you'd ever imagine. A Wumpus, whom I named Behemoth. A thunderbird, the size of four ships, I named Zyz. And the great sea monster, a hybrid of a lobster, a whale, and a squid, named Leviathan. Now, Leviathan can't come on land for more than a few hours. But Behemoth and Zyz seem to be tracking you. Why is this? And what the hell is that,"
    he points behind himself, and the lage orange bush from before was sure enough, sitting there. "Doing here?"

12. - Top - End - #192

"That's an orange bush, m'lord." Ozzariem says, chuckling. "I must say that I'm rather surprised that it's here. We saw it last night when we camped. So it is apparently following us as well."

He shrugs. "If it intended to harm us, I suspect that it would have done so by now, or done so while some of the group slept."

He puts a finger to the side of his chin.

"As for these other mythical beasts following us, I could not say. You are their creator and master, so you say. Would you not be able to perhaps ask them?"
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

"That, is not a bush. That is a wumpus. Atleast, a sleeping wumpus. You either have something it wants, or it likes you. And I intend to find out why.

As for the elder beasts, I would ask them, but they do not speak like you and I do. And as you may have guessed, if I don't understand their motives, it's because I no longer control them."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Alamandias

Alamandias laughed, glancing slightly over at the strange orange bush. He was beggining to worry a bit about this lich... his powers were... disturbing, and if the threats they were going to face were equally potent, he wondered if even his skills would see him through alive, let alone successful... He sighed a little. Ah well, nothing for it, really.

Personally, I think I'd rather avoid them... As for why they're tracking us, I honestly have no idea. The thought is, to say the least, more than a little disconcerting. What do these elder beasts have in common, besides you as their creator?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

"Have in common? Well, for starters there is no creature in known exhistence larger than these. They communicate with each other telepathically, and they can't cross the mountains. But they are bound and determined to do so, simply to get to you.

The only person who can kill them is their creator, and there in lies the problem. You see, I am over 4,672 years old, atleast that is how old I was when I stopped keeping track of time. I have only spent around 2,000 of those years as a lich.
    You see, I am a very powerful necromancer. So powerful infact that when I beconme a lich, I do it only to prolong my life cycle. Then, I destroy my own phylactery, manifest my soul into an empty body I had created, and simply ressurect myself through it. I've lived a very long time, had over 76 wives, and countless children. ((Show me a will save Skenardo)) However, the last time I became a lich, something went wrong. One of the gods destroyed my phylactery before my shell was complete, and so, I had to transport my soul into my "father's" body. I call him my mother because he was the progenitor of my new body. He fathered Erdrik and I. Only now, because the body was not my own creation, I no longer hold the power I once did over my creations. And now, the only thing that can destroy them is a weapon I have been crafting for a good millenia. It can destroy them because since the day I began creating I've been pouring my own essence into it. When it is finished, it will be able to strike the beasts down.
    However, when it is done my ability to remain a standard mortal will be gone, and I will have to ascend to true godhood. And the laws are very much against gods slaying beasts on the material plane.
    And so, that's where you all get to come in. I'm willing to make you a deal. No doubt by the time you reach my mountain I'll have learned about your paladin. So in exchange for this knowledge, I will finish my blade, you will kill my beasts, and I will impart all you need to know upon you. There will be no negotiating, and no reasoning. The monsters die, you get what you need to know. Agreed?"

16. - Top - End - #196

The lumi shrugs his shoulders. "You have us at quite the disadvantage, lord Necrom. As one of my former companions was fond of saying 'You hold all the cards.' Thus, I cannot see any recourse for us to not agree to your...bargain." he says.

"However, I am curious about a few things, perhaps one of which you can answer when we arrive at your castle. First, you mentioned that we shouldn't wake the sleeping wumpus. Should it happen to awaken, how best can we deal with it? My second question is regarding the elder beasts, and perhaps something we can discuss in more length later. Do they have any weaknesses?"
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

"Unfortunately the only way to harm an awoken Wumpus is with a very powerful sword. One capable of damaging even the mightiest of demons."
    ((because I'm unable to describe power levels, suffice to say a weapon equivilent to a +7 weapon and Cold iron. IE: Vorpal flaming burst, +5 flaming burst, +6 Flaming, Keen Flaming Vorpal etc. Assume he imparts that unto you...Somehow.))
    "A sleeping wumpus, is easily felled by a single arrow. But killing a wumpus in it's sleep, attracts the attention of more.
    However, at first I didn't know that one was following you. This one is relatively harmless when not threatened. I call him Mr. Pinchly.

As for the weaknesses of the Elder beasts? If they had physical weakness, some halfwit barbarian or over zelous fighters seeking glory would be constantly trying to kill them. If they were susceptable to normal magic foolish mages from countless planes would be seeking them out.
    No, unfortunately I am their only weakness. Not as I am, but as I was. Once I regain my original body I will be able to help you. But not until my swod is complete. The only thing I was able to do was banish them beyond the mountains..."

Here the lich's voice faded, grew almost, remorseful.
    "Not so much banished, as locked. They weren't supposed to hurt anyone. They were supposed to be guardians. But their power grew too much. They gained an unnerving sentience. Than became violent. I don't know what they're trying, but I can guarentee you, if they get on this side of the world, this war will become less about preserving this plane and its people, and will become more about who will control it. Hell, or the Elder Beasts. So you can imagine why it benefits you a little more than just getting the information you need."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria Blackblade
    Gloria toys with the crumpled fork in her hand, still not making eye contact with Necron, or indeed anyone else.
    She glances upwards as the lich adopts an almost remorseful tone, but then quickly looks back down again. In the normally-boisterous Gloria, this behavior is...unusual.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Alamandias

Alamandias sighed ruefully at the Lich's words... he stroked his chin a bit and rand his fingers through his jet-black hair, eyes glittering a bit in the low light.

Mmm.. well, we shall just have to make sure we reassemble your sword, then... you say you will need time to tell us more about the paladin we're seeking... can you give us any advice regarding the path to your mountain, any dangers we might avoid or the solutions to any puzzles we might face?

As to these elder beasts, I don't suppose there might be a way to turn them against Hell without putting ourselves in deeper trouble than we're already in...

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

"As long as you carry my brother's sigil, your path will be safe, and clear.
    As for the monsters, if I could use them safely, do you not think I would have?"

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria Blackblade
    Is he going to hang around here forever? Gloria thinks to herself, somewhat irritably. Abruptly, she drops the crumpled fork to the table and says,
    "Okay, got it. Kill the beasts. I'll um, go take first watch now. We'll be on our way. Yeah."
    Hells, I'm sweating like a prostitute in church. I need to get out of here. Her angelic face clearly troubled, Gloria stands and gestures, making a brief incantation. There's a short flash, but Gloria stands at the table for a full six seconds, looking around before fading away from view.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

((Guess I'll make the next move than.))

"Good, so we are in agreeance." The lich rubbed his hands together.
    "I shall see you next, when you arrive at my estate."
    The man clapped three times, and vanished.

23. - Top - End - #203

"I do so hate not being presented much of a choice in matters." Ozzariem sighs, frowning. "But if our mission requires such, then that is what we must do. Though, fighting beasts, no matter how legendary, is not my idea of a glorious engagement."

He shrugs, and puts down the fruit he had been 'eating'.

"A fine evening to you, Mr. Pinchly. I suspect we shall see you tomorrow." he says, saying his 'good night' to the supposedly sleeping Wumpus...whatever that creature might be.

He rises and goes to sit in front of the fire, basking in its warmth, but more importantly to him, its light.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria Blackblade
    Gloria sits silently in a nearby tree. The whole experience had...rattled her more than she cared to admit.
    You know, killing them all would be a lot easier now that there's just two left...
    Shut up
    The vampire would be a challenge...but you could probably do him first; the Lumi wouldn't mind, I'll bet.
    Shut up!
    Honestly, you can't be thinking of trusting them, can you? They already know too much about us.

"Aaargh!"
    Gloria's frustrated cry rings throughout the glade. In the tree, the lovely Aasimar crosses her arms and glares at nothing at all.
    Forget it. I don't need to listen to you right now.
    With a rather determined manner, Gloria settles down in a crook between two jutting branches and begins to drift off to sleep.

25. - Top - End - #205

Somewhat accustomed now to the..odd..outbursts of his female companion, Ozzariam swivels his head around to look at the woman.

There was some relationship between her and the lich, he was certain of it. Each time that he appeared her...mood...changed quite suddenly.

"Why does Necrom affect you in such a manner, Gloria?" he asks gently. "I have seen him looking at you, as if he knew you from somewhere. Do you know him?" his tone is calming, reassuring, and full of...trust.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria Blackblade
    See? They're starting to ask questions. Maybe you could just hide his head somewhere he won't find it...
    Shut up.
    Gloria slowly uncrosses her arms and braces them against the branch she sits upon. She cranes her neck a little to look down at the Lumi below, a strange fire in her eyes.
    "Scalpels and a cage, and a torn and dirty shift."
    With that somewhat cryptic utterance, Gloria leans back once more against the tree trunk.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

[B]Alamandias[/B

Alamandias gave an uncomfortably predatory grin in the Lumi's direction.

Mmm... well normally I would agree... fighting animals is hardly my usual forte... on the other hand, these are monsters of legend, and I wager they'd be a challenge beyond challenges... He grinned wider Besides... I'd wager their vitae is... intoxicating

He looked over at Gloria, arching an eyebrow at her outburst, but saying nothing. The girl had secrets, that was plain, but then again so did he. He stared up at the sky, enjoying the familiar sights in an inconstant world as he settled in for the night.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

I'm going to guess you all simply sleep then?
    Okay.
    This night isn't as eventful as the last, and you merely sleep as you would normally have.
    Morning comes, and you can't help but feel a little disappointed.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Gloria Blackblade
    Gloria arises, grateful for the respite. Her golden hair catches the dawn sunlight as she drifts down from the tree on shadowy wings.
    Alighting upon the ground, she looks around for her companions.
    "Right...so, we're not really going into town, are we?"

30. - Top - End - #210

"I see no pressing need to do so. Our business is with Necrom, not the townsfolk."

Ozzariam looks around the campsite, curious to see if Mr. Pinchley, the wumpus, is still around.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.