1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default The Order Of The Stick: February

Carry on, as you were...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: The Order Of The Stick: February

Sooo... When's the extra OoTS gonna be up?

My bet's friday.
    I shall make up for the lack of ingenuity in my foolish post with a concise and witty signature. Read thus so far? Too late for you!

I laugh.

Possibly the first player in 3.5 to take energy damage (radioactive). See here

3. - Top - End - #3

I just wonder what the worlds coming to when comic writers are being subjected to armed robbery... ;)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I was thinking that..."Held Up".But then I thought it's just that he's late.
    Silly, silly, me ;D
    ~Ariella&&&&http://ninjaday.blogspot.com

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, umm, about that first comic of the month... (Jan. 31's, that is.) Uhh... Awesome shading.
    Lurkaholic. Fetch me some more lurkahol.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baron
    I just wonder what the worlds coming to when comic writers are being subjected to armed robbery... ;)
    He should yell out Order of the Stick. Maybe the robber will let him go because he likes the comic strip. ;D

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

I'd like to start a motion that we put out a hit on the son of a snake that said stick 'em up to our cartoonist.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon8685
    I'd like to start a motion that we put out a hit on the son of a snake that said stick 'em up to our cartoonist.
    Maybe he just *really* wanted to get his hands on the OotS book and decided to go straight to the source?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I for one think that this new strip--destined to be known as "Strip #144.5" or simply "Rich Got Held Up"--is among the worst the site has ever put up. There's no continuity with the series, for one; where are all of the old OotS characters? Are we now to assume that their existance relies on this mysterious "Rich" creature? Can we truly assume that an erratic personality like Belkar would be held up in the absence of this "Rich," or would he soldier on like the neurotic halfling that he is?

I normally like Giant's stuff, but this new strip just doesn't make sense. Perhaps it's just because it's a guest strip, but if this is the direction OotS is going, then I don't want to think about the future. Fifteen comics down the road, when you all are looking at strips bearing such terrifying epitaphs as "Rich is having lunch right now. No OotS until Thursday," or "Rich believes that tariff-free trade is the key to a truly open and successful world marketplace," you'll know that I'm right.
    \"Family man\" is a template that can be added to any male humanoid. He gains the subtype \"Tool.\"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

*Regarding this conversation in general*
    Wow, when you guys go for a while without OoTS... just wow. Overly-active imagination doesn't do you guys justice.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.&&Courage is what stupid people say.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

So, I have returned.

I went to Winter Fantasy this weekend, which was great and I will discuss at length later. Getting back turned into something of an ordeal. Suffice to say, doctors were involved. Anyway, I am back now. I had made a crayon drawing to use as a placeholder while I work on the new strip, but I can't find it in my 6.02 x 1023 pieces of luggage. So you'll have to wait until I'm done with the new strip.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Order Of The Stick: February Zherog

Zherog

johnsusanl Zherog
    Email Instant Message

Re: The Order Of The Stick: January
    « Reply #409 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 1:48pm »
    on Jan 31st, 2005, 1:29pm, Sundog wrote:
    AHHH! It's tuesday morning and no OOTS!

Going...going...cold turkeyy...

It's only Monday.

Ah, but I live in a place that is roughly 12 hours ahead of the OOTS time listings (US EST?). So it was, in fact, Tuesday when I posted that - here.
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Ooh! Perfect time to update the Extras page with more filler and fan art.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oz the Grammar Hammer
    I for one think that this new strip--destined to be known as "Strip #144.5" or simply "Rich Got Held Up"--is among the worst the site has ever put up.

Actually, I think this is a marvelous strip. The minimalist technique employed by Rich goes to an even more basic level of thought than the stock figures that usually adorn the canvas do. Additionally, I must applaud Rich for having the introspective awareness to be able to bare his own soul, his innermost thoughts if you will, in such a way that they touch us all. And to be able to do so without compromising the minimalist nature of the work, well, I for one say Bravo, Rich! Bravo!
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

And so the world ends: Not with a bang but with an </html>

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by GeekDaddy

Actually, I think this is a marvelous strip. The minimalist technique employed by Rich goes to an even more basic level of thought than the stock figures that usually adorn the canvas do. Additionally, I must applaud Rich for having the introspective awareness to be able to bare his own soul, his innermost thoughts if you will, in such a way that they touch us all. And to be able to do so without compromising the minimalist nature of the work, well, I for one say Bravo, Rich! Bravo!
    I don't know how I feel about Rich getting credit for my handiwork. *goes back and looks at the filler* No, wait, you're right, give Rich the credit.

16. - Top - End - #16

Well, someone did say Pirate's got to him...bit late after national Pirate day and all...but I suppose if you're going to get held up, it Might be Giants, er, as well be pirates...just not Drow Ninja Pirates....ever.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom
    Well, someone did say Pirate's got to him...bit late after national Pirate day and all...but I suppose if you're going to get held up, it Might be Giants, er, as well be pirates...just not Drow Ninja Pirates....ever.
    I have few friends who are doing Pirates at the Y or their health club. I guess it makes sense that there would be different styles of Pirates, but I have never heard of the Drow Ninja method. Sounds painful. But then again, no pain, no gain, eh?
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

And so the world ends: Not with a bang but with an </html>

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    So, I have returned.

I went to Winter Fantasy this weekend, which was great and I will discuss at length later. Getting back turned into something of an ordeal. Suffice to say, doctors were involved. Anyway, I am back now. I had made a crayon drawing to use as a placeholder while I work on the new strip, but I can't find it in my 6.02 x 1023 pieces of luggage. So you'll have to wait until I'm done with the new strip.
    You know, Rich - I've noticed a surprisingly high correlation between your attendance at Cons and the involvement of doctors upon your return. ;)
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes, but one must wonder if it's truly in Giant's best interest to toy with his canon at this point. We are hot off the heels of the introduction of an Order of the Stick book--a financial endeavor that has, thus far, proven at least somewhat fruitful. His growing celebrity among the webcomic community is not yet sufficient to warrant such experimentation; this is a time in his career when, I believe, he should stick to his guns, continuing to explore the characters he has already created. They are at the backbone of his fame, and as such, they are what he needs right now.

Perhaps down the road--before his peers and counterparts baring their claws and flashing accusations of &quot;one-trick pony,&quot; we will see Rich Burlew, Minimalist, explored in a greater context. RawBear has provided an opening for just such an occasion, but such an opening seems to come with too much haste.
    \"Family man\" is a template that can be added to any male humanoid. He gains the subtype \"Tool.\"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Lack of "The Order Of The Stick: February&

It was a bit disconcerting, but probably in the long run, not a bad idea to see a guest cartoonist in the space. However, I for one would have preferred the submission as a adjunct rather than a replacement. And as a piece of art, it certainly did evoke some good reaction. I particularly liked the way it broke the 4th wall in some novel ways.

Maybe next we can see what Keith would do?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The minimalist technique employed by Rich goes to an even more basic level of thought than the stock figures that usually adorn the canvas do.
    ??? But he doesn't use canvas ???

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Marsh
    ??? But he doesn't use canvas ???

he doesn't do Basic either.

i think Rich is a Fortran kinda guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by \"Monte Cook\"
    I know that I\'ve never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

but I can't find it in my 6.02 x 1023 pieces of luggage
    wow...a mole of lugagge thats quite a lot, I'm surprised no one else picked that up. Maybe they didn't pay attention in chemistry class...ah well
    Verminaard avatar by drKarling

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    ...but I can't find it in my 6.02 x 1023 pieces of luggage...
    One mole of luggage?

edit:
    ... Oh, someone picked that up before me.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have to agree with Sir Oz. While the characters in Order of the Stick have always been drawn in a simplistic manner--indeed, that is a large part the strip's charm--replacing the well-known, almost iconic figures of the cast at this late date with these gangly, letter-like images doesn't do much for the strip's portrayal of action and character. Rich's color pallat has always been broad and eye-catching; this switch to a bi-chromatic format seems like a step down in the art department.

Also, I'm having trouble understanding how this fits in with the current plot. Is that beige background the Wooden Forest? Is this somehow a step towards the starmetal ore, or is it another glance at the Linear Guild? I have to say, not to sound overly critical, but I hope Rich strongly considers leaving this strip out of the next book.

Also: Gnome-Mount, what is this chemistry class of which you speak? Those of us with Liberal Arts degrees know of no such thing. Do you mean to say that one might take classes in subjects that actually have some bearing on the actual world? What a concept... :o
    Fantasy Star, a Mutants and Masterminds adventure (OOC thread)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Were-Rat

One mole of luggage?

edit:
    ... Oh, someone picked that up before me.
    I don't see how. Even with a 25 Str, that's a lot of encumberance.
    Good. Bad. I\'m the guy with the gun.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peldor

I don't see how. Even with a 25 Str, that's a lot of encumberance.

Well, he used Avogadro's number.

Also, it depends on the GFM of the luggage.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

:D :D ;D :D :D
    oh my god, and i thought i was alone in the world, me and my chemistry. Reading all of the above almost made me fall out of the chair!
    :D

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Highschool sophomore, yo. Honors chem.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

I too am in high school, but I am a junior and am in Chemistry 2 while taking a semester chemistry course at the University of Pittsburgh (where I live). It is what I plan to major in for college.

With what do chemists make guacomole? avogardros!

But, maybe we should get oof the chemistry topic, this is a forum about OotS. So...do we know when OotS will be back up?

EDIT: (For The Giant), do you just simply remember Avogadros number from high school?