New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Order Of The Stick: January

Our local library has a bunch of episodes, thats where I watch mine. Often video stores have em for rent. *shrugs* Anyway, that's where the joke is from.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glaive-dy glaive-dy glaive... Glaive-de glaive, wonderful glaive-glaive...

As for the Cheese Shop, it's something you should check out, at the very least. I'm sure you can check online and find out which of their various compilations to find it on, and then rent it at your local movie rentie place thing. (Unl;ess they're completely out of movies, which would be ironic, wouldn't it?)

In faaaaact, you can find a fraction of the sketch, animated, and using the audio track from the record, here: http://www.daminator.com/older.htm
    Lurkaholic. Fetch me some more lurkahol.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

And googling on "Monty Python cheese shop" will instantly provide you with links to about a zillion transcriptions.

As will "Monty Python Spam", "Monty Python dead parrot" and "Monty Python Lumberjack Song", should you not be acquainted with any of those.
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Invariel
    Glaive-dy glaive-dy glaive... Glaive-de glaive, wonderful glaive-glaive...

As for the Cheese Shop, it's something you should check out, at the very least. I'm sure you can check online and find out which of their various compilations to find it on, and then rent it at your local movie rentie place thing. (Unl;ess they're completely out of movies, which would be ironic, wouldn't it?)
    hahaha

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The Kamikaze Highlands! I loved that skit!

And the one where the extraterrestrial blancmanges invaded Wimbleton and took over the whole of the Northlands. (The OOTS so needs to face an advanced blancmange.)
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

6. - Top - End - #96

what the heck's a blancmage?
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Some sort of white pudding.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, Monty Python -- there's nothing better for when you need a quick substitute for humour... ::)
    optimization n : a source of missed opportunity

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Ha! Python IS funny!

The Goon Show, now that's just plain weird. Talk about humour only the British could appreciate...
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello everybody! I just joined right now because I, too, had to tell Keith
    how much I enjoy the comic...

In addition to the Python reference I seem to detect some references to
    Steve Jacksons old 'Random Pole-arm Generation Table'. Am I right, or are they just both parodying Gary Gygax strange fascination with pole-arms?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

In the immortal words of the Giant himself...

"Who the hell is Keith"

<psst.... his name is Rich Burlew>
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.&&Courage is what stupid people say.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHeavyfoot

<psst.... his name is Rich Burlew>

No... I'm pretty sure it's Keith... :)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

We are talking about Order of the Stick, are we not?

Order of the Stick = Rich Burlew

Perhaps you are thinking of Keith Baker, the maker of Ebberon.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

And why should we not tell Keith Baker how much we enjoy Order of the Stick?

Are you trying to keep it a secret or something?
    >:(

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Sean, either you're giving the pot another stir or you haven't read pp. 4-5 of this thread. :-)

- The former, I see. Right, carry on... :D

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

And Banjo's back!!!

So Thor's really Thor Junior?

"Awww... but I like puppets"
    I shall make up for the lack of ingenuity in my foolish post with a concise and witty signature. Read thus so far? Too late for you!

I laugh.

Possibly the first player in 3.5 to take energy damage (radioactive). See here

17. - Top - End - #107

YES, Banjo returns! Elan did the right thing, the Asgardean pantheon are a bunch of pansies! Not even in the same league as almighty Banjo.

Uh, Rich? When you say Church of Freya, do you mean the rat lady from Final Fantasy 9?

Actually Thor's dad is Odin, ruler of the Norse gods. That's who the old guy with the eyepatch is.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinetics
    Not if that makes the other guy "Thor Senior". That's Odin.

- Snap, Knight13 :-)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Sean, either you're giving the pot another stir or you haven't read pp. 4-5 of this thread.

- The former, I see. Right, carry on...
    Right.. uhh, i was just reading it wrong. I see what he meant now.. oh and I haven't read pg 4 or 5... i don't I have anyways.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tee hee ...
    Just when my coworkers began to think I'm serious, the apperance of the Puppt Civil Liberties Union have me ROFL :-[

I guess all this OotS stuff is only here to discredit me, isn't it ? 8)
    Why should I use a sig ?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knight13
    Uh, Rich? When you say Church of Freya, do you mean the rat lady from Final Fantasy 9?
    No, I think he means Freya. The God of Light, from the Norse pantheon.

Either that or the little gray guy who was a bit stubborn about fixing that one sun, but I doubt that's the case.
    "So when your back's up against the wall and there's no tomorrow, just take one day at a time and remember: the bigger they are... etcetera." - Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1 (S1, ep 04)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

No, Frey was the god of light in the Norse pantheon. Freya was his sister and was godess of love and fertility.

Actually, she was a bit more than that, but they tend to tone down that side of things nowdays.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Halfling in the Playground

"But I like puppets."

Me too! Especially Banjo.
    I had such a good laugh.
    You do realize that bringing people back from the dead is an act of utter evil and having the consent of the deceased only means you have an accomplice for your foul deed.&&&&-Shirwill Jack&&&&[currently NOT taking avatar requests]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arian
    Ha! Python IS funny!
    See, this is the circular logic I see every time Python comes up.

"Python's hilarious!"

"When?"

"Dead Parrot Sketch!"

"And why's that funny?"

"Because it's Python!"

"So when have they been funny?"

"Spam sketch!"

"And what makes that funny?"

"Because it's Python?"

"And what makes you find them so funny?"

"The Sargeant-Major sketch!"

"And it's funny because--?"

Seriously, that's usually as far as most people can explain it. It's like Pavlovian conditioning.

Don't get me wrong. There were a group of intelligent, clever gentlemen with more than a few good insights, but most of their collective work within the ensemble was dreck. Even SNL couldn't beat a joke to death as well as these folks.

Then again, SNL has never had a collection of fans willing to keep beating the joke to death for them more than twenty years later, either. ::)

The Goon Show, now that's just plain weird. Talk about humour only the British could appreciate...
    Some of it's quite regional, I grant you, but it hardly takes British Citizenship to appreciate most of it. I once kept a room in stitches with a recitation of "The Treasure of Loch Lomond," back when I could still remember the words.

I've seen people laugh at the Dead Parrot sketch too, but it's always seemed mechanical to me.

"Ha-ha, it-is-the-Dead-Parrot-Sketch. How-it-never-fails-to-leave-me-rolling-in-the-aisle-even-after-the-hundredth-time-I-heard-it-ha-ha-ha."

I don't think I've ever known anyone to even chuckle at the Spam sketch. But since Python plays to most of Mr. Burlew's audience and it was a strip posted on his normal day off, I can't really grumble all that much about it, can I?
    optimization n : a source of missed opportunity

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

I wanted to see a puppet lawsuit :).

Very funny Giant!
    \"in the long run, we\'ll all be dead\" ~ John Maynard Keynes&&&&Bin ich aber tot?&&&&Philosopher Action Figures&&&&Goatism&&

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Odin the All-Father never looked so cool. And so approachable!

Good one, Rich. Well, they're all good ones. But they don't all get me to post. ;)
    Ashlock.org
    WotC: The Darkwood Mask (Eberron, March 2008)
    Goodman Games: Dungeon Crawl Classics #29, #31, #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms, #48, #49
    Worlds of D&D

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

Monty Python is quite amusing if you view it by itself. The humor is mostly based on surrealism: taking a normal situation and adding a bizzare twist to it. The distortion is augmented, most often by establishing a sort of internal logic in the scene and then applying further twists to it.

This surreal humor, however, is rooted in very accurate observation of human nature, and in particular the various foibles of the Brisitsh middle-class in the early-to-mid 20th century.

I do agree that Monty Python references are a tad overused. It's like the "pants" thing (where you take any written work and replace various nouns with the word "pants"): Side-splittingly hilarious the first twenty times or so, but really *really* dull afterwards.

It doesn't help that the bulk of Monty Python re-writes is based on only four or five sketches from the entire run of Flying Circus (and selected fragments of Holy Grail). There is no reasonable explanation for this other than a particular sort of herding instinct.

The tendency to "flog the dead parrot" is unfortunately quite prevalent in Internet culture, which by and large tends to be unable to just let a joke die. (See also: All Your Base, MY HED IZ PASTED ON YAY!, or any other meme/running joke of your choice.)
    "So when your back's up against the wall and there's no tomorrow, just take one day at a time and remember: the bigger they are... etcetera." - Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1 (S1, ep 04)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower
    Don't get me wrong. There were a group of intelligent, clever gentlemen with more than a few good insights, but most of their collective work within the ensemble was dreck. Even SNL couldn't beat a joke to death as well as these folks.
    You have a point -- sometimes Python sketches are just plain over the top, or so bizzaire that they entirely miss the point of being funny and go strait into being disturbing. When The Meaning of Life wasn't making me feel sick, it was just plain irritating me.

On the other hand, when Python humour hits it's the funniest thing since sliced bread. The reason it's funny is because it takes real world scenarios and takes them out of any real world sensibility. The discord between expectation and the result are what makes it funny (like the Spainish Inquisition poking people with soft cushins), with a few clever lines and comical stupidity (like the range of descriptions of the Dead Parrot being dead, combined with the shopkeeper's insistance that it's not).

Mind you, my mum doesn't find Monty Python funny, and I can see why. Sometimes it's just TOO much. But it's not all UNfunny. :p

[hr]

Oh, and all hail BANJO!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could I interest you in some string? O: )
    Lurkaholic. Fetch me some more lurkahol.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm just wondering why Thor is blonde? Despite what Marvel wants to tell you... Thor is a Readhead :)