New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Order Of The Stick: January

" Atleast in Norwegian, Saturday (Lørdag) is from Bathing or Washing Day (Laugr-Dag.) Tuesday (Tirsdag) is quite clearly from Tyr's Dag.
    (Tu? Never seen that spelling. Are we talking about the same god here?)"

Yeah, we are, but via a rather tortured linguistic history. The name entered english via the Danelaw, at the same time as there was a strong Celtic influence from both Welsh and Bretogne - thus the confusion as to where exactly "tuesday" comes from.

As for the Frigga possibility for Friday, I hadn't heard that one before, but it makes as much sense as anything else.

Regarding Lordag (sorry, I have no idea how to get accents from this keyboard), I think you might find that Nowegian changed the name due to the influence of the Catholic Church. The Norse Pantheon was never strongly worshipped in England, so the use of the names of those gods wouldn't have bothered the church there, but in areas where the Pantheon was once strong they would have deliberately attempted to eliminate any reference to it - at least, that is the pattern elsewhere.
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

That is kind of the problem about using animals as creative trap disarmaments/absoloutly insane dungeon clearance items.

IE: driving herds of sheep ahead of you in the dungeon. Detects traps, monsters, and gelatinous cubes.
    :o I never thought of that! What a brilliant use of sheep! I mean, we polymorphed a hydra into a sheep once, and then later when we ran into a room full of Beholders, we tossed the sheep in and slammed the door quickly... (man were those Beholders surprised!) But we never thought of using animals as some sort of early warning system. That's perfect!
    I am... no one.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer

:o I never thought of that! What a brilliant use of sheep! I mean, we polymorphed a hydra into a sheep once, and then later when we ran into a room full of Beholders, we tossed the sheep in and slammed the door quickly... (man were those Beholders surprised!) But we never thought of using animals as some sort of early warning system. That's perfect!
    Well you could do that but then there is also the possibility of any Druids and/or Rangers taking offense at this and doing nasty things to you with pointy objects
    Face of the shadow-Kargoth Heiros http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=17783&&stolen glory-Hurun Brightbane http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=17811&&Gatewalkers-Rodric \'the blade\'http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=17857&&

4. - Top - End - #184

that's why you make sure that there is no one within a 10-mile radius before doing it.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

my ex would roll an orc head down the dungeon corridor ahead of him. That works well, unless the DM has enough intellect (read, 'more than a flea,') and rules that the traps aren't triggered by something that small... or dead, or low-to-the-ground, or whatever.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm... we tend to use the "Throw a copper piece in/on/at it and see what happens!" approach. Although sometimes we prefer the "Hmm... (insert name here) isn't here tonight. Let's let his character go first." ;D
    I am... no one.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    Hmm... we tend to use the "Throw a copper piece in/on/at it and see what happens!" approach. Although sometimes we prefer the "Hmm... (insert name here) isn't here tonight. Let's let his character go first." ;D
    Always a favourite ;D

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GlordFunkelhand
    Thor from the Asgardian pantheon is red haired. Both the classic Thor and the Thor from "Deities and Demigods".
    The only Thor who's blonde is the Marvel variant.

I mean Odin is displayed with all his common features (one eyed, Huginn and Muninn around him, and Gungnir in his hand).
    Thor's red beard is one of his most important features, one of his names even is "the red".
    Come on! What the hell kind of good are GODLY powers if you can't change your hair colour?? If Zeus can change into a bull to better impregnate women, then I think Thor can manage to change the colour of his hair.
    I'm sure even gods like to go incognito once in a while.
    Listen to me, you whiny crybaby sack of undead crap, you are going to do exactly what I tell you, or I will rebuke you into next week.

9. - Top - End - #189

OldWizardGuy

The word 'absolutely' is misspelled. The 'e' and the 'l' were transposed.

Nice work parodying the justifications for arbitrary parties to stick together, Giant. Or is it a parody...?
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

Another excellent episode. I love the "popping" in of Roy's depiction.
    Ashlock.org
    WotC: The Darkwood Mask (Eberron, March 2008)
    Goodman Games: Dungeon Crawl Classics #29, #31, #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms, #48, #49
    Worlds of D&D

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

True. And Haley must have rolled pretty low on her sense motive check to believe that story. I mean, even Elan found holes in it.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Haley threw a natural 1. ;D

13. - Top - End - #193

Chimera

Not to mention, the fact she's probably relying on her near supernatural ability to get more than the rest of the party when it comes to treasure...
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

-your arbitrary rules, like "don't kill Elan."

LOL! ;D

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Their own reasons...

I'm back on my kick that OOTS is a reflection of an actual group of gamers playing a group of characters. (...but I recognize that what we have here is indeed a group of stick figures and speech/thought balloons drawn on a piece of paper that will do anything Rich or Keith tells them to...) (...while at the same time it conceivably could be a group of characters running an artist, depending on how firmly rooted in reality I happened to be at any particular time.)

In any case, IF there were an actual group of gamers, what happened today was the players running Haley and Belkar role-playing their character's natural reluctance to go on the side-trip, but looking for any reason whatsoever to justify their character's decision to go with. (Only NPCs need to roll 1s on a Sense Motive. Players can have their characters decide to ignore whatever they want.) Hey, given a choice as a player between going on a questionable side-quest or sitting off to the side and playing "Pirates" for six hours, I'd find a reason to go gaming any time.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Right on, GypsyThorn. Hmmmm.... I wonder if Haley and Belkar will ever "realize" what it is their players did to them?
    Now if you don\'t mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

17. - Top - End - #197

Roy probably needed that natural 20 to beat Haley's Sense Motive. Most of you people don't seem to realize that Haley didn't need to roll a 1, Roy got a 20, as long as Haley didn't get a 20 as well Roy automatically wins.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

No, if Haley has any Sense Motive Ranks and any charisma modifier she probably beats Roy.

Skills do not automatically succeed on a natural roll of 20.

Additionally (from the SRD):
    Opposed Checks
    An opposed check is a check whose success or failure is determined by comparing the check result to another character’s check result. In an opposed check, the higher result succeeds, while the lower result fails. In case of a tie, the higher skill modifier wins. If these scores are the same, roll again to break the tie.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haley didn't need to have rolled a 1 to have failed her Sense Motive, though it wouldn't have hurt. If Roy got a natural 20 with no ranks, and no Cha modifier (he seems like a good candidate for a 10 Cha if I've ever seen one), his score is 20. Assuming Haley is a 10th-level character (which is also reasonable, since the party is originally listed as being 7-9th level, and she's gained at least two levels in the course of the comic) then the most ranks she could have in Sense Motive is 13 (her level, 10, +3 for a class skill). If she has Skill Focus (Sense Motive) and Investigator (I think that's the one that gives you a +2 to Sense Motive, though I could be wrong), that's an additional +5, but I can't imagine Haley would spend her feats on a skill she uses that infrequently. Assuming a Wis bonus of +1 or +2, which again seems reasonable given her behavior (I imagine any stats she had +3 or +4 on would have been put into Dex or Cha, and very few characters have more than two stats with bonuses of +3 or higher), her Sense Motive check is probably between 13-17 at the most.

Thus, a roll of 1, 2 or 3 would likely have failed to beat Roy's 20, and while such a roll isn't enormously likely (three out of twenty, maybe a more mathematically inclined person could give us an actual statistical value for that) there's still a moderately decent chance that Roy could have beaten Haley with his bluff purely mathematically, and no other motivation was involved.

So, in short, I've made a bunch of completley unsupported assumptions and spent waaaaay too much time over-analyzing a statement meant to be taken as a joke, and not seriously, in the first place.

Do I love this strip, or what?
    Fantasy Star, a Mutants and Masterminds adventure (OOC thread)

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

Hm, I'd think she has a +0 in Wis, as you need all other attributes more (ok, maybe on same level as ST). And I suppose she has a level of 10 at max, so I'd assume an 8 or 9, which puts her Sense Motive to 11-12.

Otoh, the "world" they are in could have just houseruled in critical Successess in Skill checks...

P.S.: There is always this "Speed of Plot"-thingie around....
    Dr. Doom

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

Who woulda thunk that Roy would ever tell Elan not to be reasonable? ;D
    This comic made my day after a bad day at school. ;)
    ~Ariella&&&&http://ninjaday.blogspot.com

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, Elan's reasonability seems to have kind of an on/off switch; see strip #50: "Aw, those stories don't match up at all!" *Smack*

Maybe all the switch needs is a swift smack upside the head. Boy, Roy would love it if that were true, eh? "Crap! Need smart Elan!" *Smack* "Crap! Smart Elan is going to expose my flimsy deception!" *Smack* "Okay, this one is just for fun." *Smack*

Also: Haley seems to have a slightly better-than-average Wis, by my standard; she saw through the Linear Guild pretty quick (though that may have been pure Sense Motive, I guess) and she seems a hell of a lot more aware of herself and her surroundings than most of her compatriots. Of course, I guess that could just mean she's got 10 and everyone else (Durkon excepted) has below-average (though I could point out that Belkar was able to cast Cure Serious Wounds, a 3rd-level spell, after an Owl's Wisdom, putting his Wis no lower than 9, at least under 3.5 rules).

Did I say I'd spent too much time over-analyzing before? NOW I've spent too much time over-analyzing. And I'll do it again, mark my words.
    Fantasy Star, a Mutants and Masterminds adventure (OOC thread)

23. - Top - End - #203
    Bugbear in the Playground

No Haley suceeded her roll. But is going along with it, because A) she will be there for more looting, B) she can stay with Elan.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

24. - Top - End - #204
    Halfling in the Playground

B?
    Are you suggesting a romance? ;)
    You do realize that bringing people back from the dead is an act of utter evil and having the consent of the deceased only means you have an accomplice for your foul deed.&&&&-Shirwill Jack&&&&[currently NOT taking avatar requests]

25. - Top - End - #205

No, I think he's flat-out accusing one of existing.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shirwill Jack
    B?
    Are you suggesting a romance? ;)

Well, duh !!! ::)

Just think what she did for Elan, she stole the cure potion from Belkar, she give him that rapier when his got broken and she didn't make him pay for either of them..

If it isn't love, I don't know what it is. ;D
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

27. - Top - End - #207

Good point. How could I have missed it? :-[
    Perhaps I was too caught up with laughing at other OotS stuff.
    You do realize that bringing people back from the dead is an act of utter evil and having the consent of the deceased only means you have an accomplice for your foul deed.&&&&-Shirwill Jack&&&&[currently NOT taking avatar requests]

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'll bet there really are King Giants in guarding that starmetal. And yet, saying that will cause it not to happen, so the bet is off.

And after what happened a couple of comics ago, I'm surprised Haley was convinced so easily... perhaps she was indeed looking for an excuse to come along, after all, every bit of gold would help getting her father out, and in a forest filled with creatures... what would be the odds of not making any profit at all?
    "And men saw his sails coming up out of the sunset, dyed as with scarlet and gleaming with red and gold, and fear fell upon the dwellers by the coasts, and they fled far away."

-Akallabeth, The Silmarillion

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

Tru dat.

Don't kill Elan? Heh.

Belkar needs to grow wisdom based skills.
    As Arathrarf gazed over the destruction, the death, the fleeing alliance armies, the lakes of blood, Gorn-Zor spoke behind him. && \"You have won the day, Arathrarf, the Ascended,\" the Dark Lord spoke in his devouring voice.&&Arathrarf only stared across the battlefield.&&&&And Arathrarf smiled.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Pixie in the Playground

Belkar needs to grow wisdom, period.