New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Eberron: Entrance to Adventure [IC]

Limna

Limna nods, glancing around at the others.

Might I suggest that we talk a bit more about ourselves before we start moving around? The Commodore obviously knows each of us, but if we're going to be relying on each other, she looks up at the Warforged as she says this, we should know what we can expect. As you guys know, my name is Limna. I am a bit of a tinkerer and apprentice magewright. I have some experience working with Warforged, so that might be useful.

Limna looks around at each of the others as she says this, looking at their reactions. Might as well try to find out about who these people were beforehand.

I think that I might be able to dig up something about the pirates, too, if I ask around a bit. I also have some friends and can find my way around the town.
    Last edited by cintain; 2008-03-01 at 11:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Noname was understandably confused. Why weren't they immediately headed down to the docks to begin their mission? Rather than ask directly, he pondered it over while listening to the others discuss strategy. Well, clearly the fleshies needed some supplies. Understandable, but he didn't need anything as far as he can tell. Well, if they were going to be boarding ships and such, maybe he could use some magical items, but anything he could immediately think of would be too expensive anyway. It'd be a waste for him to go shopping when he could be contacting the merchant or accomplishing something constructive.

There was something about gathering information on pirates? The way the changeling had described it, she'd be sneaking through slums and sweet-talking criminals. Clearly there must have been some sort of confusion. If this was supposed to be a mission of subterfuge and espionage, he wouldn't have been selected for this. His role was obviously one of brute force. He didn't necessarily need to go around shouting the mission out, no. But trying to blend in and hide as a giant war machine would be less than optimal.

Limna suggested introducing themselves and their respective talents. Why not? It made perfect sense to understand each other's abilities before going into battle. "I am a weapon, one of superior intelligence and refined skill." The answer was simple, to the point, and truthful. He couldn't imagine how he could be more clear. "I don't see how I could be of much use in the shopping market or gathering information from other sources. I am new to this city and am unsuited for dealing with social situations. I suggest that I head to the docks and speak to the merchant who will most likely be able to provide more information on the pirates' attack patterns and targets." Yes, he was advocating splitting up. They could work out a place to meet later, heck, they could do so at the docks.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Michael

I am called Michael, I am a servant of the Silver Flame and I trained in unarmed combat, although I've learned to use the longspear pretty well recently.

I think collecting intelligence would certainly be a good idea.
    I'll follow-up on Noname's suggestion--I'm good with people, but I don't know if I'm quite as a subtle as you folk.

Noname, let me handle the talking. Play to your strengths.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

4. - Top - End - #64

Cymran

His attempt to be named the Noname's commanding officer, thwarted, Cymran took it with good grace. He wasn't sure what he would do with him anyways, he just saw an opening and went for it.

When talking about himself he says, "I'm a bit more of a Jack of all Trades type, given time I can do most things pretty well."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

(Don't worry Cymran, you still might win Noname's favor yet.)

Noname patiently waits for the briefing to end. Time was of the essence, or at least it probably was.

In the meantime though, Noname walks over to the thread and bumps it.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conrad

Well, my name's Conrad. I follow Dol Arrah of the Sovereign Host and was a healer at the tail end of the War. Anyway, I'm not really sure how good I'd be at getting information about the pirates, and my presence might hinder anyone else's inquiries. I suppose I could check out any temples near the docks to see if they regularly get large groups of sailors seeking aid for their wounds. What do you all think about that?
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.
    -The Stranger, "The Big Lebowski"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

"Jinna. Changeling," Jinna introduces herself, breezing over any further explanation. "All right, so it looks as though we have a plan. You fellows can head down to the docks, ask around about the pirates and talk to this Aelowim. Say you're thinking of taking passage to somewhere and want to avoid this sort of entanglement; don't tell too many people what we're really doing."

"Limna, do you need to buy anything? I'm planning on getting hold of some armor, at least. We can do that, and then poke around and see what we can find out," she offers, looking at Limna and then back to the others. "We can meet back here in, say, four hours?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Roger! Myself, Michael, and Conrad will head to the docks then." Noname gives another salute, still standing, and heads out the door, waiting for his two new comrades once he's outside. Clearly he was anxious to get moving, and it appeared that the initial briefing was over anyway.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conrad

Conrad stands up, picking up his halberd from where he set it, and heads outside to where Michael is waiting.

See you in four hours, then.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna does the closest thing a person of her build and demeanor can to snapping to attention as she hears Jinna speak her name. She tries to hide it by looking intently at the Noname and Conrad as they step out.

Yeah, I'll come with you to the market, she says. I am sure word must be out about these pirates, whoever they are. After that I need to make a stop... somehwere. I'll be ready and back here in four hours.

DM
    Spoiler
    Show

Limna wants to stop by her place in the Lightning Rail shops to say goodbye to her friends there. We don't need to RP that unless you are going to drop some tidbits of game-relevant wisdom, and then maybe by PM.
    Last edited by cintain; 2008-03-05 at 06:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

As Noname and Conrad step outside (and Michael if he so wishes) their clothes and coverings are instantly drenched. The seemingly nice if drizzly rain has been turned into a downpour. Rivulets of water running off the roofs splash along walkways before draining over the side, through the banisters, out into the open air.

12. - Top - End - #72

Michael

Let's hope the weather does not turn out to be prophetic for our expedition.

He then walks over to a tied up dinosaur near the area, and unties it. He then strokes the raptor's head and talks to it.

I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long Solomon. Come on, let's go to the docks.

With that he begins walking with the others, and leads Solomon.
    Currently playing as:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

"Right, then," Jinna says, rising smoothly from the table. "Let's go."

She pulls her cloak about herself and pulls the hood up as she steps outside, but doesn't waste any time complaining about the rain. She hurries off down the streets towards the nearby marketplace; the sound of merchants hawking their wares is drowned out by the downpour, but she has no doubts that the marketplace will contain what she's looking for. Sharn folk were hardly likely to let a little rain get in the way of doing business.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jinna is planning on buying a masterwork chain shirt, and will go with Limna if she has anything she wants to buy also. Diplomacy check to haggle (both for her purchase and Limna's) is (1d20+14)[16]; I don't know how much the base price would be adjusted, if any, but it's worth a shot. In the interests of speeding things up, I don't think that part needs to be RPed, but let me know if you want to do that.

The folded mail shirt lying securely in her pack, Jinna gravitates towards an out-of-the-way corner of the marketplace, sheltered from most of the rain but not all of it. "So where did you want to start?" she asks Limna in a low voice, not easily audible over the sounds of falling water. "I was going to check out the ship captains to see if any of them had criminal connections; if the pirates are avoiding hitting cargoes for the top folks around here, or if they're hitting some criminals but not others, that's a good sign there's somebody in Sharn who can lead us back to them. How about you? We can split up, if we need to cover more ground quickly."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna scurries off after Jinna, pulling up her own cloak and looking even smaller in the rain. She stands by unobtrusively as Jinna haggles, then leads them both off to the part of the market where the magewrights and tinkerers sell their wares. She wanders along the stalls, looking at stuff hidden under hastily pulled-over tarpaulins, until she finds what she is looking for.

Spoiler
    Show

Limna will buy ointments, oils and spices to power up her Artificer infusions, as well as parchment or vellum, quills, and ingredients to brew up some potions and scribe a scroll (I want to scribe a scroll of water breathing and brew a couple of potions of cure moderate wounds. I intend to do this when we have some downtime). My own Diplomacy check to see who aids whom in the haggling for that is Diplomacy - (1d20+5)[23].

Limna looks at Jinna under her hood, in the rain.

I was going to try asking around in some of the taverns, to see if anyone was around who'd been at sea recently, or if there are any ships departing up the Dagger river, to see what kinds of precautions they're taking. Maybe that will give us a clue, like you said, of whether they are attacking anyone in particular.
    I would like to poke around to see if any of the stuff they're stealing is finding its way back into Sharn, too. The Commodore guy says that they're probably Lazhaarite, but who knows? Sharn is a long way from the Principalities, as I understand.

Limna looks around nervously. Don't you think we ought to check on this Commodore ir'Rothos? I have a very bad feeling about him. He was holding something back, and he said something weird about his family, too, back in the tavern.

I need to go down to where I am living, too, to pick up some stuff, but I can just wander on my own after we're done looking here. So, shall we?

Spoiler
    Show

Rolls for poking around:
    Gather Information - (1d20+7)[25]
    K: Local - (1d20+5)[18]
    Bluff - (1d20+8)[11] just in case...

15. - Top - End - #75

Cymran

As Noname list the people going with him. Cymran notices his name missing from the list. Watching the metal man leave he sighs, "I guess someone should keep an eye on them."

He gets up and follows them. When the rain soaks him he can be heard to say, "Yes. This day keeps getting better and better."

Cymran then moves toward the docks while moving from minor cover to minor cover. Not that it helped any.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Noname

Noname's enthusiasm seemed unaffected by the rain. After all, what care did he about minor weather patterns. It's not as if his finely crafted adamantine self would rust. Thinking about it a little, though, fleshies like Conrad and Cymran... Cymran? Noname thought he was going to go with the females? Oh well, I suppose it was just as well. "Glad to see you join us in our glorious mission... Cymran, was it? Anyway, will either you two or your pet, Michael, be requiring any protection from the rain? We wouldn't want you to drown, after all it'd be... er..." Noname paused for a second, searching for the right word, at least one that a machine would use. "Detrimental to our mission?" Noname honestly didn't know any better and thought nothing of his actions more than concern for his teammates.

17. - Top - End - #77

Michael

Michael chuckles.
    Pet? Solomon's no pet. He's a ferocious beast--or thinks he is at any rate. I doubt a little rain will hurt him any, it never bothered him before at any rate.
    Currently playing as:

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

"I wouldn't worry about the commodore much. He's probably hoping to be able to wring a promotion out of the prestige this deal will bring him if this goes through. Not a whole lot of ways for a naval officer to gain recognition, without a war going on." She half-grins. "That sort of thing's important to nobles. What I'd be worried about," she continues more soberly, the grin fading, "is giving away too much about yourself. I think he was a little suspicious when he realized you know me."

"But yeah, let's get started. We've only got a few hours." The changeling starts off down to the lower levels, where flowing streams of water have long since joined together since falling from the gutters and drains of the upper streets.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not quite sure how we'd go about this, but here's a shot.

Jinna's Knowledge (local) to know which people would be good to go to in order to find out information about Aelowim's possible criminal connections, and about shipping crime in general: (1d20+9)[12]

Aid another to Limna's Gather Information check: (1d20+4)[20]

We might want to play out talking to some of the contacts; Jinna may be employing mind-affecting abilities to pump them for information if she thinks it'll help. If you'd rather speed ahead, we can do that too, but since the other group has their own search to take care of we might as well.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conrad

Heading off towards the docks with the others, Conrad trudges along in the rain with his eyes slightly angled downwards away from the falling drops.

I really doubt Cymran or myself will drown in this weather, but thanks for asking, Noname. Umm. . .Solomon's yours, Michael? I saw him coming in but didn't assume. . .how long have you had him?

20. - Top - End - #80

Michael

Only a few months. I was out travelling for the church awhile back and I came across a man beating the poor beast senseless. Said he wouldn't behave. People treating animals badly stirs up my blood--or what passes for it anyway, and I told him to leave the animal alone.

He wouldn't, so I challenged him to a duel, which he lost. After that I made him let Solomon go free, and intended to leave it at that but for some reason Solomon here decided to follow me. I've tried getting rid of him a few times, but to no avail. I guess I'm stuck with him.
    Currently playing as:

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conrad

Whew. I'm surprised there was a man left for you to win Solomon from, especially if he is the ferocious beast he thinks he is. Looks sure could fool me. Heh, back on the farm there was a cow that would chase you down if you thought the word "bucket" in her presence. . .

Conrad pauses for a moment, momentarily unsure of how to continue, before he resumes talking.

Ummm. . .I don't mean any offense, but may I ask how you found your way to the Silver Flame? I mean, it's a little unusual given. . .uh. . .certain views on how to handle warforged. Not to mention that I've never met one with much religious conviction.

22. - Top - End - #82

Cymran

The young man listened to Conrad's question. He had to admit he had the same questions. He understanding was that the Silver Flame wasn't that forgiving of things that didn't match with their expectations of how things should be. And Cymran knew he was a big exception so he was keeping things low key.

23. - Top - End - #83

Michael

I fought with Karnath during the war. While on a mission I was captured by a Thrannish team--including some paladins of the Silver Flame. I was converted by their good example--they did not hold the opinions of the Thrannish government regarding my people.
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-03-09 at 06:59 PM.
    Currently playing as:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conrad

Well, it's likely we didn't see much of the same sights then. I fought for Breland during the war. Ironically, mostly along the Thrannish border. We'll have to trade stories sometime. But let's concentrate on the job at hand for now. Cymran, um, how comfortable will you be to be the spokesman of this merry band once we reach the docks? I might be able to help a little, but, um, I'm not exactly the best at bending the truth.
    Last edited by an kobold; 2008-03-14 at 01:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Michael

I'm not so good at deception myself, mostly from lack of practice.
    Currently playing as:

26. - Top - End - #86

Cymran

"But Michael we aren't going to be deceiving people. We are just going to be selective with what truths we reveal. After all some things are just none of their business." Realizing he also answered Conrad's question he grins impishly. "I knew I would be negotiating a job today so I am prepared for it. Finding out information is not exactly the same thing, but it should be close enough."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Noname

"Deceit? Why would subterfuge be required? We're just going down to the docks to inquire recently attacked merchants about the attack patterns of the enemy." Noname thought about the words of his comrades. "So both of you fought during the war... what about you, Cymran?" The idea that the four of them might've served for different nations during the Last War meant for some possible conversations and exchange of possible tactical and combat manuevers, which excited Noname.

28. - Top - End - #88

Cymran

"The pirates may have counterintelligence agents in place. If they are truly on top of things they will have people waiting for a group like us to start asking questions about them. If they get intel on us before we get intel on them then they can catch us unaware and neutralize us." He let Noname fill in the blanks on what the neutralization might entail.

When asked about the war he answers, "I didn't fight. I was a civilian just trying to stay ahead of things."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Noname

Noname wasn't sure about Cymran's words, but since he stated them in such a straight-forward, military manner, he nodded in thoughtful agreement. The way he said it, at least, made sense. Still, he was both disappointed that Cymran didn't fight in the war and surprised that a civilian could be so... so... militaristic. "Hm... indeed..." He then turned to Michael and Conrad. "I would very much like to discuss military fighting styles, tactics, and manuevers of the respective nations you fought for during the Last War. Such a conversation would be very educational for me." Despite his wording, a genuine interest was easily present in Noname's voice, like a giddy schoolchild wanting to know about the cool soldiers in the war.

30. - Top - End - #90

Michael

Not too much for me to tell really. I was trained in unarmed combat. I'm not sure how practical unarmed combat really is, but that's what I trained in and at this point everything else feels..unnatural. I'm starting to get the hang of the longspear and the longbow.

I was trained in recon as well. Apparently I wasn't very good at it--hence my capture. After that I spent the rest of the time in a Thrannish Prisoner of War camp, where I converted to the Silver Flame. I offered to enlist to defend the Holy Land, but they questioned my loyalty.
    Currently playing as: