Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Merchants of Elm (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    Saker

"So, Lonna, where have you been living all these years?"
    Lonna

Lonna matched her uncle's easy pace, wondering how much of her story to tell him. After only a few steps, however, she began speaking.

"When I first left home, I went where all the run-aways in Elm go: our very own Shanty Town. I survived here for about a year, living off what I could get from begging or scavenging in the garbage. I must have been about William's age when I got hungry enough and desperate enough to try picking pockets. To make a long story short, I got caught. Lucky for me, my intended target took pity on me. She let me live with her in the capital city and taught me my trade. I finished my apprenticeship last year, but I decided to stay in Karr, where I had customers and a bit of a reputation, if only because of my teacher."

The tale left out most of the illegal and all of the painful details, but it was a decent summary of the last five years.

"What about you, Uncle? How long has it been since I saw you last? I can't remember now... maybe six years? What have you been up to since then?"
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-03-21 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Lonna's questions
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

(Naw, It's fine. I was just going to say he went to look around.)

Rustin smiled a bit. It's the low level people, after having a good drink. Not only do they care little for red tape, they are a little more pliable in their drunken state. "Hey Fella's." He says congenially, his smile more broad. "I was looking for a good freind of mine. He's black... tallish. Kinda a nice fellow. Know where I can find him? The grapevine says that he is around here."
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Rustin:

The standing guy looks you over. The drinking guy belches.

"Black?" Asks Standing Guy. "I ain't seen a'ybody like that in a while."

"You're not from around here, are you?" Chimes in Drinking Guy. "I don't recognise you."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor

Seemingly unable to further assist in the decision, the professor will angle over to Acanthe once more.

Speaking in low tones, he inquires, "When were you folks intending to leave?"
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Yawl Office:

Acanthe shrugs. "They're pretty eager. Next couple of weeks I would imagine."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Garrin

Garrin just stares down at the desk after the salesman leaves. I knew this was a lousy idea when I first agreed to it. But we've passed the point of no return, haven't we. Of course all we could afford was a piece of junk, but... will we even have a prayer of success. Oh well, in for a copper ring, in for a gold one, eh?

He breaks off from his introspection and turns to his siblings. "We've basically now crossed into the 'unacceptable risk' category, and are still determined to go through with this, right? So, let all the remaining risks be damned. Let's get the cargo loaded up as quickly as possible -- including this mystery cargo we'll get on the 5th -- and get out as soon as possible, braving the weather."

Finally, he turns to Orgin. "Thank you for the help, Professor," the stress on the last word betrays a hint of annoyance, "but, not to be too blunt about it, why are you here? We already have a yawl pilot," he says as he gestures to Acanthe.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor

The professor gives a slight nod to Acanthe. After being addressed by Garrin, he wheels around with a smile, "Being blunt is a good way to get to the truth, Mr. Kite, so no apologies needed there."

There is a practiced and casual way about the professor. "And I had no intention of replacing your good Acanthe here. Just feels good to be back in the thick of things, so to speak. It's been quite a few years since I worked with the Family runnin' the yawls, and I suppose an older pal like myself just wanted to feel useful."

With a carefree flick at his own ponytail, he continues, "But if I'm in your way still... I'd be happy to move along."

The next thought occurs to him slowly, "Oh, right. But not before ya let me make you that incense I promised. To rid that smell, ya know. Can't have the cargo arriving with that odor. Kite Honor and all that."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Halfling in the Playground

Draego

nods to Garrin, unknowingly echoing his thoughts In for a copper in for a gold.

"We have to make this work in any case."
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    LonnaThe tale left out most of the illegal and all of the painful details, but it was a decent summary of the last five years.

"What about you, Uncle? How long has it been since I saw you last? I can't remember now... maybe six years? What have you been up to since then?"
    Saker

"Yah, it had to have been six years... maybe a little longer. I think I was on my second trip up to the the Hand of Zeus at the time you left home. You'd been gone about a year before I heard you'd disappeared. Someone's always long gone before I hear the word."

For a moment the uncle starts to sink back into gloomy silence before he gives himself a shake and with a little forced levity continuing.

"So, I've been pretty much the same since you last saw me. Some months I'd do boring common work as a laborer. Other weeks I'd play hireling and act as a guide for adventurers. The rest of the time I've been a failure or a vagrant. I've lived in many places, but never for more than a couple years in any one area. Most recently I rented a shack for nearly a year and a half in a little place just over half way from here to Karr.

So here I am home again, a little wiser, a little tougher, and a little older, but not one bit richer or more successfully. If you've made any sort of positive reputation for yourself in any circle you've done better than I ever did.
    "

As he talked Saker downplays the pain and humiliation that have been his closest companions over the years.

"So, have you ever traveled much outside of the capitol, or is this your first time out since you started living in Karr?"

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

10. - Top - End - #310

As he talked Saker downplays the pain and humiliation that have been his closest companions over the years.

"So, have you ever traveled much outside of the capitol, or is this your first time out since you started living in Karr?"
    Lonna

His story is sparse on details, like mine. Probably means that his years were more painful than he wants to admit, also like mine. What a pair we make.

In response to the question, Lonna shook her head. "My teacher always came down to Elm for the May Day Festival, so I would come with her. This time of year there is always work for us here - often more than in Karr, which is why I'm here even though I'm independent now. Plus I always used my spare time to find out the latest news - well, gossip really - about the family." A touch of bitterness crept into her tone as she added, "I was too much of a coward to come back after the funeral. I didn't want to look like I was crawling back with my tail between my legs, and for that piece of pride I wasn't here when everything fell apart. I didn't even know we lost the mansion until this morning - though I should have been able to predict it would happen."

There was an awkward pause, then Lonna sighed and changed the subject. "Do you have a place to stay in town? I have a room at an inn in the Facing where you could bunk, if you don't mind sharing with William and me."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311

Venistara

Venistara crossed her arms and smiled. She listened to the various conversations, but ultimately had nothing to add to either. So instead she contented herself on looking around the shop.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

(Just as a precaution Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[19])

"Really? Then I shall go and search in another area. I thank you for your assistance." He said and gave a small bow and took a step back, he turns to leave, but looks back over his shoulder as the drunk man talks. "It is a rather big city. I wouldn't worry about it." He then left to go search the yard some more. An Idea was forming inside Rustin's head, since he was in the Yawl yard. If it turns out Jerone isn't here, then he won't have any backup. But what worked once, could work again...
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Rustin:

((Sense motive: the two men in the office were definitely too defensive for mere layabout workers.))

Your continued inquiries around the yard only result in the same information. Most people haven't seen many Saunterlanders or Maenaan around, and people from Karr are usually light-skinned. Those who figure out that you're looking for a tough guy refer you back to the yawl office in the rear, where you just were.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Yawl Office:

The yawl agent comes back through the door but doesn't take his seat. "So what is it, folks? You come to a decision?"

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor

When the agent walks back in, the Professor straightens back up. As the decision is not his, he makes sure to move out of the way between Garrin and the agent.

Instead, he slides behind Draego and Venistara.

16. - Top - End - #316

Draego

leans in to hear what Garrin has to say, almost falling over in his eagerness. The tension is nearly killing him.
    - Carl Becker

17. - Top - End - #317

Garrin

"We'll take it, of course. As you've pointed out, it's not like we have any other option. Of course, if we're successful, we will be sure to remember all of the... help... we've received when planning future ventures."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Yawl Office:

The agent shrugs at the jab. "O, let's not have hard feelings. If you are sucessful, it'll be because you don't give away merchandise either. That's the market."

As the documents are signed and seals are affixed, the agent continues on. "I'll get the box of food and fuel dropped off in your warehouse section, and of course the usual signal pennants. If you want more than a week's worth of food it'll be extra. Your space in the yard is, of course, gratis until you depart. That's covered in the sale price. But if you want yard workers or a night watchman that'll be extra."

Acanthe shakes her head. "I can stay and watch the yawl at night." She doesn't comment on whether it's a good idea to buy more food or hire workers, however.

((So far Garrin has taken the lead on this, but just 'cuz he's oldest doesn't mean he has to be in charge. Is anybody else really pushing this venture? Venistara, the char you replaced was originally the one who came up with the plan, are you stepping into that role?))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-03-24 at 12:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor

In an even tone, the professor says, "Congratulations on your new yawl. Now I'll just be on my way to get you that incense... I'll bring it to Acanthe when I'm finished."

Provided noone has anything left to say to the professor, he will turn and head his merry way toward town in order to purchase wolf's mint and other sundries required to make the incense. Oh, and to adjust his damn robe. That thing has been riding up his backside all day.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Orgin:

You haven't been in town long but with a little bit of poking around you'e able to find an herbalist to meet your needs. ((I forget if I quoted you a price before but it shouldn't be more than a silver or two to get the ingredients. Let's say 1 sr or whatever I quoted you before, whichever is cheaper.))

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

There was an awkward pause, then Lonna sighed and changed the subject. "Do you have a place to stay in town? I have a room at an inn in the Facing where you could bunk, if you don't mind sharing with William and me."
    Saker

"That's Ok. I'll be staying with... oh." The uncle lapses into silence. He was going to stay at the estate, but with his brother dead and the estate gone that won't work. He might be able to stay at the cottage, but that's crowded enough already.

"Ah, I'm not sure where I'll be tonight. I might be sleeping with your siblings in that ground-keeper's cottage at the estate, or possibly in the yawl." Saker frowns as he remembers the stench in the yawl. "Still, that's kind of you to offer your room... How long will that offer be open?"

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322

Saker

"Ah, I'm not sure where I'll be tonight. I might be sleeping with your siblings in that ground-keeper's cottage at the estate, or possibly in the yawl." Saker frowns as he remembers the stench in the yawl. "Still, that's kind of you to offer your room... How long will that offer be open?"
    Lonna

"The offer is open for as long as I have a room to share, and I'm paid up for the next two weeks," answered Lonna with a smile. There was a short, companionable silence, then Lonna asked hesitantly, "Earlier, when you first saw me, you called me daughter... why?"
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Yawl Office:

As none of the family members respond, first the yawl agent and then Acanthe start to look a little restless. Acanthe speaks up.

"If you want to load the yawl ourselves, we can. I can show you how. It'll probably take us a lot longer than hiring professionals, though."

The yawl agent nods. "We can have our boys do it for 10 rings a day. Done in four or five days." By "rings" he surely means silver rings, the most common currency.

Rustin:

((Please see post 313 above. If I left out something you need to figure out what to do next, let me know and I will update it.))

24. - Top - End - #324

Garrin

Garrin nods. "Yes. It will be better to get the experienced workers to do the job. We want to be ready to leave in five days, though, so I hope it won't take any longer than you estimate."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

The yawl agent nods with another of his forced "salesman smiles". "Might even take less. Extra food? Only 20 gold per week, for the lot of you. Includes fuel."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor

The professor stumbles through town, and after a few precisely worded requests, he manages to find a herbalist with some of the wolf's mint he needed. After balking at the price, and noting how dry the merchandise is, he manages to talk to woman down to 1 ring for a small bushel.

More fool her... dry wolf's mint is perfect for incense. At the very least, I can bargain with an herbalist. That's something.

Ambling to the outer end of town, the professor will spend the rest of the day on making his incense, which involves a bit of forraging. Muttering to himself, "Hope this gift is good enough to get me a ride on their boat." Spending the better part of the day, he manages to collect some odorless reeds that will work nicely in binding the wolf's mint.

Tucking his hair into his scholar's robe, the professor leans forward and grunts. Looking at the assembled items, he carefully twists the mint, while binding it with a reed. An hour or two later, he is ready to go with his bundle of goods. Hopefully the quality will be enough to set off a decent fragrance.

Spoiler
    Show

If a check is required for going slowly:
    Craft Alchemy: (1d20+5)[7]
    If not, I'll take a 20 for 25.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Orgin

((So you're essentially making smudge sticks... neat! You can take 10, since that doesn't involve retries, just taking your time. With the resultant roll of 15 you easily make the incense.))

By the time you use up the last of the wolf's mint it is late afternoon, and you have amassed a half-dozen thick, tightly tied braids of incense. Some of the children who passed by while you were working stopped to watch, but none of them dared approach you. The adults paid you little mind.

28. - Top - End - #328

Draego

is practically bouncing with excitement. It's actually happening! Betting it all on a throw of the dice!

He speaks up now - "We'll take care of supplies, thanks for the offer." His mind boggles at the thought of 20 gold a week. Profits straight down the drain....
    - Carl Becker

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rustin heads back to the men in the back room. He was not exactly pleased, but he didn't let his anger get the best of him. He stepped in and gave a small smile. "Hello again Gentlemen." He said congenially, but with a bit of ice "Now where were we? Ah yes. The man I was looking for. Where is he?"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Lonna

"The offer is open for as long as I have a room to share, and I'm paid up for the next two weeks," answered Lonna with a smile. There was a short, companionable silence, then Lonna asked hesitantly, "Earlier, when you first saw me, you called me daughter... why?"
    Saker

The uncle pauses at the door to he contractors hut and flushes slightly as he turns to Lonna remember the conflicting emotions he had earlier. After a false start he begins: "Lonna, when I discovered that my brother had died it hit me hard. I had spent weeks anticipating a reunion, reviewing all the questions to ask and tales to report, and... *snifle* I... he... Lonna, he was my full brother, my confident, family. It feels like my every hope and dream is dead.

Then you came, daughter. My first though was that fait had given you to me. My brother taken, and you given. You aren't my sister, and already had supporting nephews and one niece so my first though was not that I had gained not a niece but a daughter... and... and...
    " Saker stops and shakes his head, chocking back the emotions.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show