New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: Merchants of Elm (IC)

Garrin

Garrin heads below to the hatch to greet his siblings as they return. "So... anything worth the trouble? I hope so -- our, ahem, traveling companions in the other yawls seem a little anxious to get going."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

Venistara

Venistara shrugged. "Not realy. Just a bunch of jumpy 'people'." She walked over to her bedroll and layed down on it, her hands behind her head. "Maybe next time I will get to talk with them."

((Below deck))

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

The di Monci ships don't wait for everyone to get aboard the Planet Express before they change their pendants and glide forward. As the last of the Kites & company scramble aboard and close the bottom hatch, they find themselves at the middle of the slowly-moving caravan. Orgin's touch gets the ship underway smoothly.

As the ship comes up to speed the landscape changes. The banks of the Great River have been heretofore marshy and reedy, but now they are pierced by numerous side-channels and backwaters. Small stunted cedar trees fill the muddly land between and around these channels, and soon you are flying above a swath of cedar bog as wide as the river itself.

This is the only source of wood for local communities, so they have been careful not to over-log it, and the nearest town is many miles off. As you ride through the morning air you see triangular shapes swooping over the bogs ahead. Rapiers, or hunter rays.

From maw to tail-tip each creature is a little longer than a large draft horse, but no thicker at the head than one foot length. A crooning shriek mets Orgin's ears as the distant creatures call out to one another.

Right now only six or so are visible directly ahead, and another dozen or so out over the river.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

The uncle stands next to the professor clutching his spear ((I assume this is above deck)) not entirely certain yet about the 'hunt ray' 'smashoom show.' "Err... they are harmless... aren't they?" He says to the professor while eyeing the rays and the reactions on the other yawls.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ettin in the Playground

((Yep, the rod is outside, on the observation deck, so you are above-deck.))
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Has Orgin ever encountered these things before? What does he know about them?))
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

((They tend to swarm yawls early in the springtime, and learnt o leave the yawls be by June at the latest. The number you see ahead at current is ordinary enough. They can scratch up a yawl a bit or lance a man right through with their tails, but those inside are safe enough. I'll accept a knowledge:nature check for more details.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-08-12 at 11:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

((Is Origin making the check? Saker? Both of us?))
    Knowledge Nature - (1d20+5)[17]

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

((Sorry, I meant Orgin. I believe you already tried you Kn:Nat check on this paticular subject, and knowledge skills don't allow retries.))

10. - Top - End - #760

Venistara

Venistara poked her head out of the trapdoor to the holds below. "What is it? What's happening?" Then she noticed the rays. "Wow. What are they?"

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

"Hunt Rays" Saker says curtly, his eyes darting back and forth between the rays and the other other yawls looking for clues of what to expect. "You might want to stay below." The uncle finishes as he uneasily shifts his weight. His niece and their pilot aren't replaceable. He, however, is old, fate-cursed, and expendable- although the fates were unlikely to ever let him actually die.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Those above decks see that the cedar bogs along the river get thicker and turn into a vast swath of tangled trees. The caravan route markers must have been placed long ago when the marsh was smaller, or else the river course has changed somewhat; instead of keeping you over open grass they lead you close along the river bank above the sweet-scented cedars, early gnats and swooping rapiers.

The yawl begins to suffer turbulence from flying over more and more patches of water and small streams, rumbling and jittering as it drifts. There is enough solid land below you that you're in no danger of stalling, but the Planet Express may be slow to respond to any directions other than "go straight".

The first rapier to approach is a brilliant black-and-white swirled creature, its capelike body rippling as it dives at the ship. With a soft thunk, barely audible from the obs deck or the cabin, it tries to lance the hull near the front with its tail - luckily nowhere near those standing topside. It doesn't break through, and lifts off to cicle upward and away.

Ahead, you see many more rapiers lifting up out of the bogs. A crescendo of humming and crooning fills the air ariound the yawl. There must be over a hundred rays ahead.

13. - Top - End - #763

Venistara

"That... dosen't look good. You might want to come down here as well."

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

"Girl, my life isn't worth all that much compared to yours or your pilot's." The uncle says with a small smile. "I love you kids more than anything right now. I'm not going to let your dreams die for lack of a helmsman. Until the professor goes in someone aught to stay with him, and that someone might be me. You stay below, I'm proud of you all and don't want to see any of you hurt. Things might get ugly, but I doubt anything will kill me."

"Although a heroic death for me might be the kindest thing possible for us all." Saker mutters as he looks away and back to the sky.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-08-21 at 09:58 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765

Venistara

Venistara was taken aback. Then she got angry. "What are you saying? That your life is not as valuable as ours? What a stupid thing to say! Your life is just as valuable and precious as anyone else’s, and never think otherwise!" Sighing, she looked back down into the hold, then back up at Saker. "We definitely need to have a talk. Later though, when this is through." She went back down into the hold, still fuming.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Dwarf in the Playground

Orgin

"Get below both of you. Just stay near the hatch, and I'll call for help if I need it."

Orgin didn't like the look of these beasts, but he was determined not to let the Express flounder over the watery patches. He tried his best to maintain an even keel of the ship.
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

(1d20+3)[15]

You stay in cotnrol of the ship, jittery as it may be.

The Di Monci ships ahead of you are likewise foundering, and they seem to have quite a few more uninvited guests than yourself. You can see Di Monci's soldiers scrambling to close the upper windows on the flagship with heavy maple shutters meant for battle. Two soldiers flank the pilot of each ship, spears at the ready as rapiers swoop about.

Behind you, Arcos and friends seem a bit startled. The young socialites head belowdecks, leaving his grisly-faced pilot to stand alone.

In the middle, the Planet Express starts to attract a crowd of its own. Two more heavy tails thunk into the bow of the ship, harmlessly piercing the wooden hull. But you can't help but notice they're working their way slowly back along the ship, toward you...
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-08-22 at 11:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #768

Garrin

"Terrific," he says to no one in particular. "Anyone have an idea of how to get rid of these pests?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

"It's either me or that Rustin fellow" Saker insists as he closes the hatch behind Venistara. "It would be dangerous to leave the hatch open and it would take too long to rescue you with the hatch closed. Just tell me to move if I ever block your view."

"Oh, and if anything happens and things get... ugly, spare the kids the details." He adds to the professor as he grimly takes up a spot a step in front of and the right to the pilot where he adopts a defensive stance and prepares to block any incoming rays.

"Now, I do have one last idea, but it might be loud just to warn you....... har-EAAAAKKKKKKKKK!!" Saker screams in a defiant cry at the sky.
    Spoiler
    Show

Handle Animal - (1d20+6)[21] Saker is trying to communicate "My territory, stay back" to the rays.

If they still come near he'll fight defensively, try to protect the pilot, and maybe poke at a ray or two
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-08-22 at 02:18 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Saker:

((I'll give you the bonus you asked about, but I dunno that it's gonna be a good thing...))

Your shriek roars out over the cedars and a second of silence follows. Then the crooning of the rays resumes, and this time swells up into a tremendous roaring chorus. You certainly got their attention... but they might think it is, in fact, their territory.

A substantial crowd of rapiers wheels about and dashes toward the top of the yawl.

((You guys have 2 free rounds of actions before they start hitting the ship. Go ahead and post both at once. I'll post what happens next by Sunday or Monday even if not everyone has posted by then, so if you want to take your action, do so right away.))

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

"Typical. really typical. With my stupid thrice cursed luck and the fates I should have know better."

To Origin:
    "So I was wrong: It can get worse. You can kill me later if these things don't, but ya'll have to be alive for that. Now, do you really have to be up here with me?"

Not waiting for an answer Saker moves as far forward and away from the pilot as he safely can. A bodyguard is worthless if they just attract even more foes.

((Round 2 pending actions of others, will be up Saturday night/Sunday morning))
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-08-22 at 07:52 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772

Garrin

The eldest brother frowns. Why couldn't I prepare something more useful...

"I've pretty much got one useful spell, and I don't think we want to trust my aim with a crossbow. If anyone can think of a way to scare them off, the time to suggest it is now."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

23. - Top - End - #773
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"They attack the yawls, because the Yawls are going through their air space. It's too late to turn, We could land, but I'm not sure if that will help or not. especially since we seem to have their attention." He shrugged. "I have no clear ideas on how to get out of this. I don't know much about these things. But I do know what we need. We need more than three people. I do know that These things swarm over yawls, and that means our pilot here is in deep **** if we don't protect him."

First round:
    Rustin moves to the hatch and opens it, and shouts inside "Anybody that can use a blade would be much appreciated. I'm looking at you Lonna." He then turns to look at Garrin and speaks rather tersely, he's a little stressed right now and people are exhibiting things he didn't know they could do. "What useful spell do you know? How about any of those buff spells I know you guys like to sling about. Protection maybe? More strength? If you think you only have one spell, then when they come, I want you to use it then get down below. I don't want anybody up here unless they can contribute fully. I can't be protecting the pilot and saving you from them at the same time."

Second Round:
    Rustin moves back to adjacent and in front of the pilot. as he moves he draws his bastard sword, and holds it two handed like. "AFter This is over, I gotta have a talk with all of you people." He said shortly as he got into his Punishing Stance. He didn't have to protect himself, he just need to protect the pilot. Take down as many of these flying things as he can. He readies to use his special move: Sapphire Nightmare Blade, as soon as one comes in close enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Right, Umm, I'ma gonna make some rolls, depending on the knowledge checks I might have to adjust what I said up here.
    Specifically, I want to know if flying lower would help? Or could we land, then take off again, after the birds swarm at the other two yawls, allowing us to escape with the majority of the birds at the other two yawls.
    Knoweldge (Local): (1d20+4)[23]
    Concentration check (Sapphire Nightmare Blade): (1d20+7)[8])
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

24. - Top - End - #774

First Round:

In response to Rustin's yell, Lonna darts up on deck, sword in hand. Taking in the situation, she grins - anyone who notices it will see a predatory smile she has never let the family see before. Given her luck shooting at a still target on the ground, she doesn't want to try shooting at a moving target in the air, but if the rays are close enough to hit her, they should also be close enough for her to hit them.

Second Round:

Lonna hurries to a position just to one side of Rustin (Orgin's other flank) and prepares to attack any hunt rays that threaten the pilot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Some rolls, since I'm sure they'll be needed shortly.
    Initiative - (1d20+1)[12]
    Attack - (1d20+1)[18]
    CritConfirm - (1d20+1)[8]
    Damage - (1d6)[5]
    AddCritDamage - (1d6)[3]
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

The uncle stands, shoulders slumped, staring at the horde of rays charging him and the yawl.

He turns to give his family an uncertain appraising look, and then tilts his head to look over the side of the yawl at the soft marshy river below them and tries to estimate the distance down.

He gives the people standing behind him a speculative look, the approaching rays a speculative look, and... straightens his shoulders bracing for the onslaught.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Nature - (1d20+5)[22] If, hypothetically, Saker were to jump of the yawl would the rays go after him or keep pounding the yawl?

Hanlde Animal - (1d20+6)[11] If, and only if, the number of rays not charging the yawl is very small Saker will once again screams out his cry to the sky to try to convince the attachers that A) that the uncle is big nasty trouble they should touch, and B) that he claims the Kite yawl and the yawl only his his territory and that the rays can bother everything else.
    Again, if there is any chance of attracting even more rays the uncle will keep his mouth shut.

Initiative - (1d20+3)[10] May or may not be needed.
    Readied Spear attack - (1d20-2)[8] (the uncle is fighting defensively for that +2 AC bonus)
    Damage - (1d8+1)[8] Double damage if attacker is charging
    Crit Confirm - (1d20-2)[13]

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

Saker: Good call, yes, I'll count all the rays as charging. With the number of rays in the air you don't scream. You doubt that they would go after you if you jumped, sine the yawl is a much larger intruder in their space.

Rustin: You're not sure if that would help. You haven't heard of anyone doing it before. Dunno what Sapphire Nightmare Blade does but you hit.

Everyone:

A ray comes in, its hum swelling to deafening levels as it approaches. Its tail lashes forward and spears nothing but the wood just in front of the observation deck. Saker is too far off to the side and can't angle his spear in time, but Lonna leaps ably to the front and slips her rapier into the ray's underside. At the same moment Rustin's huge sword bites into the base of the creature's tail.

Its hum breaking into a high-pitched warble, the beast rolls sideways and almost flops down along the side of the yawl, dripping ichor as it struggles to fly away to port aft.

Two more of the beasts were battering the top of the hull just a little bit fore of the deck, and they take off after their wounded comrade. But more approach...

Draego had been down in the hold, where he seems to be spending more and more of his time. But he rushes through the cabin, javelins in hand, and up onto the deck. He's smiling.

((Next round. Please roll an AoO every round if you're topside, in case one comes near you. You can also roll a readied attack action. If you can all post today, wesome, I'll get the next round up as soon as you do; otherwise it goes up tomorrow morning, even if not everyone posted.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-08-25 at 08:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #777

Lonna stepped back to her previous position, sword at the ready, and waited for the next hunt ray to come in range. As a the next wave of creatures approached, she searched for any part of the ray that seemed significantly more vulnerable.

Spoiler
    Show
    To spot any weaknesses:
    Spot - (1d20+1)[21]
    KnowledgeNature - (1d20+1)[7]

My AoO:
    Attack - (1d20+1)[7]
    Damage - (1d6)[5]
    CritConfirm - (1d20+1)[8]
    AddCritDamage - (1d6)[3]
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778

Venistara

Venistara poped back up through the trapdoor, sling in hand. "If everybody else is going to stand up top and help, then I might as well do the same." She started to twirl her sling up to speed, looking for a target.

Spoiler
    Show
    She is standing halfway out of the trap door, waiting for a ray to provoke an AoO.

Attack-(1d20+1)[13]
    Damage-(1d4)[2]
    Crit Confirm-(1d20+1)[11]
    Crit Damage- x2

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

"You kids better not get hurt for my misjudgment!" The uncle calls as he scans the skies trying to keep track of all the winged creatures.

Spoiler
    Show

Still fighting defensively.
    Readied Spear - (1d20-2)[10]
    Damage - (1d8+1)[9]
    AoO - (1d20-2)[0]
    Damage - (1d8+1)[6]

Crit Confirm - (1d20-2)[18]

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780

Garrin

The mercenary was just doing his job, but Rustin's tone rankles Garrin slightly. "Sorry, but I prepared spells based on what might be useful on board ship, not for fighting off a swarm of... well, whatever they are."

He picks a target and blasts it with some magical energy. Then, ignoring Rustin's directions to get back below, he pulls out his crossbow while looking for some cover to shoot from.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting magic missile for Damage - (1d4+1)[3].

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota