New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Trials of the Desert Republic (IC)

It is the middle of June, and the air is scorching hot. But for those who live in the Desert Republic, its business as usual.

It has been at least one hundred years since the war, but most have lost count, and humanity has barely recovered from having nearly 96% of its world population wiped out. There is no United States, that is just a fading memory. What was once US territory has fragmented into countless petty factions. Vast expanses of wasteland remain unclaimed by any of the growing powers. These are the homes to the bandits and the tribes. There are even rumors of more frightening monstrosities in the uncivilized out lands.

But those greater issues are of little concern to each of you. You are all members of the Kingman town militia, located near the Western border of the DR. You are all performing your mandatory two years of active duty. But your time in the militia has already been quite active, and you have all seen your share of action against the dangerous Los Banditos gang.

Today started off as another seemingly normal day. None of you are terribly familiar with the other, mostly having served in different squads or platoons.
    That all changes when you are each approached by First Sergeant Jamal Idaho.

"Captain Duncan has asked that I gather six men from the company, and I'm picking you to be one of them. Report to Kingman militia HQ by 1700 hours. And don't think of skipping this one, I have already given him your name. "

1st Sergeant Idaho is a common sight, serving as aid to Captain Duncan himself. Both Idaho and Duncan are something of legendary figures in the militia company, having extensive combat experience during their time with the DR Army.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-05 at 10:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Trials of the Desert Republic (IC)

Michael 'Mike' Rodriguez

Michael is a fairly distinctive and recogniseable person, the eye-patch he wears over the wreckage of his left eye is very noticeable and does not fully cover the jagged scar that runs across the left side of his face, nor does his flowing shoulder length black hair help much in hiding it either. He stands just under six foot tall with broad shoulders and fairly strong muscles around a lithe and agile frame. He was wearing his normal, every day clothes when Idaho had approached him; a dark brown fitted leather jacket on top of a plain white vest, a pair of dusty dark blue jeans and a pair of nondescript black trainers.

'Yes Sir Sergeant' he says after his visit, before gathering up the rest of his equipment. Slinging his backpack and quiver over his shoulder, his bow strapped safely to the side of them and picking up his spiked baseball bat with his free hand, Mike set out to the Kingman militia HQ, hoping to make it in time to report to the Captain.
    Last edited by Serje; 2008-03-05 at 02:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Edmund

'Sir replies Edmund with a nod and he marches back towards his tent to gather his things So much for patrol day, he thinks as he checks his med kit and equipment. He tries not to think about why he would be picked above the other medics around. Being the humble sort, he decided that anyone who was in his position two weeks ago would have done the same thing. He was just doing his job, as ever. His train of thought is ended as he realises that he is short a few things Scissors! Why have I lost my scissors? Edmund sighs and wanders around the other tents and scrounges some new scissors and a few other bits and pieces. Nothing perfect, but then again, nothing was. He couldn't remember ever having a full med kit, but he persevered; they all did.

After about ten minutes of scrounging and preparing, he heads towards militia HQ, hoping to have time to drop in and see his wife on the way.
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Brigham

The generator was a mismash of wires and hobbled together parts, that made it hard to start and even harder to keep running. Not that it ran often. Fuel was hard to come by and electrical devices that it would power even more so. Still when he wasn't being used as a warm body to fill out the militia's front lines against the Los Banditos, Brigham could be found here, working out his two years.

When Sergeant Idaho informs him of his new assignment, he is busy with a very delicate adjustment, that he thought would finally fix it. So in clipped tones he acknowledges, "HQ... 1700... Got it. Sir."

As the time draws near Brigham wipes his hands on an already filthy rag and heads to HQ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan Mellor

The husky young man nodded uncertainly. "Yes sir. 1700 hours. Yes sir." Bryan quickly packed his meager belongings once the sarge had left; after all, no one really had much anymore. He couldn't begin to understand why he, the new guy, had been chosen. But, pa had warned him that he wouldn't always know why he'd be asked to do what he was. "Just be sure you do it and do it right," Pa had been quick to add.
    After double checking his arrows and making sure he had everything, Bryan headed towards HQ, wondering whether he'd get a chance to right his family before he got sent out.
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2008-03-05 at 08:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Kent Bellata

Kent is returning to his tent from "salvaging" when he ran into Idaho, managing to hide the batteries he nicked while no one was looking.
    The captain? Huh. Must be important. Thanks... for the recommendation I guess, I'll be there.

When it comes time, Kent heads over to the HQ after donning his makeshift armor: A set of sports pads that he found to be a great upgrade from the jacket he was issued, casually spinning his bayonet-daggers in his hands.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Morgan

Morgan was lounging, shirtless, on the porch of what serves some Kingman residents as a sort of canteen and cards club, when Idaho finds him. He was reclining against the wall of the building, a flask of Fish Harry's homemade (was there any other kind?) alcoholic concoction. The stuff burned and tasted like overripe lemons beneath the distinct taste of alcohol, but it sure did the trick. Morgan looked up at Idaho and gave a short, lazy nod.

"Yeah, sure. Sure thing."

And then he was back to sipping the booze and watching people scurry around. He briefly considered pretending to pass out from heatstroke, but decided Idaho was probably really serious this time, and it might actually be interesting.

After that, he got caught up in a game of cards with his new friends, Wise and Michael. Two weeks in town and they had picked him up at this very place, shown him the town, introduced to everything Kingman had to offer, and finished it off by getting pissed swapping tall tales with him. They were the reason he had stayed another week, the reason he'd gotten saddled with the whole militia business. Moranog was about to win with a rather smashing hand, when he noticed the position of the sun, and realized he was going to be late for the meeting. He apologized to Wise and Mike, dropped his hand on the table, and swung his backpack, always packed, onto his shoulders. He left to the sound of their chuckles as they discarded his winning hand.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Company K headquarters is simply an old police station that was converted for militia purposes. It now more closely resembles an old medieval fortress. Most of the windows are missing, having been boarded up. Miltiamen patrol the rooftop and surrounding space with bored expressions on their faces, toting compound bows, crossbows, and whatever melee weapon they were able to acquire.

You all see Captain Duncan very infrequently, as he is charged with commanding the entire militia force of Kingman. He is a very busy man. If he wished to see you personally, then it must be very important.
    You enter KHQ, and meet with a pleasant-faced young woman who appears to be somewhere in her mid-twenties. You forget her name but you know that she is Duncan's secretary.

She instructs you to have a seat while she notifies the captain of your arrival.
    (OOC - Each of you arrive in the same order that you posted)
    None of you really know each other that well, some you recognize only in passing.

It only takes a few minutes after Morgan arrives for the young woman to come back. "Captain Duncan is ready to see you now."

You shuffle into Duncan's office. You see him sitting behind a large desk strewn with papers, maps, and empty tequila bottles. He is in his mid-thirties with dark hair and is dressed in old DR military fatigues. He has a brass star pinned to his chest, symbolizing his secondary role as town sheriff. He looks up at you as you enter, then pours some tequila into a glass. He says nothing for a moment, looking at each of you and sipping his tequila. After a few tense moments he puts the glass down and smiles.
    "I had asked Sergeant Idaho to find six of the best men in the company. I guess thats you."

He pushes some papers away from his desk onto the floors, revealing a large road map. It still has the old US state boundaries on it, red marker is used to single out the DR and surrounding territories.

"Last week, I sent out a team of Rangers on a recon mission to find the Los Banditos camp. We have known for a long time that most of their attacks seem to originate from the old Highway 66." He draws his finger along the road.

"Their mission was simply to find the base and report back... but they haven't returned yet and I am starting to fear the worst. Thats where you come in."

He looks up at you, taking another sip of tequila. "I needed another team of skilled men, small enough to help avoid detection, but talented enough to handle any trouble that comes their way. You have been selected to find what happened to the missing Rangers, and, if they have been eliminated or compromised in anyway... Well... you will have to finish their mission. We need to know where they camp so we can end their threat forever."

He smiles. "I am sorry for being so abrupt, but this is very important. Do you have any questions so far?"
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-06 at 12:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Edmund

No sir, Edmund stares at the map, trying to memorize the approximate distances and locations, just in case.
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

10. - Top - End - #10

Kent Bellata

Nah. Seems pretty straightforward.

Kent shoots a glance to the man with the eyepatch. He kept envisioning some knife fight that goes bad and someone loses an eye.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Not waiting for any other responses, Duncan continues. "In order to help maintain a low profile, you will not be taking horses or any vehicles. The going will be slow and rough. Stop by the quartermaster and get yourself some food rations, radios, batteries, and maybe some extra bolts or arrows if you need them."

He glances over to Edmund. "You may want to grab a vial of RadScorp antivenom too. There are reports of a new nest thats popped up somewhere in that area and we haven't been able to send a fireteam to clean it out yet."

"And I know that your a medic, Larkin, but I'm also putting you in command of this little expedition."

He sits back down in his chair. "Thats it, I want you ready to leave by 0600 tomorrow. Watch out for the Banditos and the Radbeasts, and try to get back within the week. Now, is there anything you need before I dismiss you?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Slightly taken aback by the instruction, Edmund rallies and salutes. Yes, Sir. Any idea which direction the team were headed, Route 66 is a pretty big area. He turns to the others, Okay, get your stuff together and meet me on the edge of town at 0600
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

13. - Top - End - #13

Brigham

Sergeant Idaho must be touched in the head. Why else would he pick Brigham as one of the best for a scouting/recon mission? It would be different if they were raiding some old city site or some place they might find something they could salvage. That he could understand. This didn't make a whole lot of sense... Unless Idaho thought it might be a good experience for him?!?

Yeah that made some kind of twisted sense. The other guys didn't hang out in the same places he did, which meant they didn't have the same interests. They where the experts and Brigham was going along to 'learn him a thing or two'

Having made sense of it (or so he thought) Brigham nods and doesn't ask any questions

14. - Top - End - #14

Michael

Mike had been the first person to arrive at the headquarters and so when the others had arrived he was already deep in some unknown thought, his normally piercing blue eye glazed over. He stayed silent throughout the briefing having no questions he wanted answering; he was streetwise and perceptive but he was not a thinker, that was usually best left to someone else.

One of the best, eh... he thinks to himself, quite proud of this fact, a slight smile spreading across his face because of this. Wonder what the rest of these lot are good at, we got ourselves a doc anyways, he should be very helpful.

Still no questions jumped into his mind and so he just nodded silently and waited for either someone else to think of something or for them to be dismissed.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Morgan

Morgan listened silently, leaning against the wall throughout the briefing and gently tapping out a rhythm on his chest with his fingers. So far, everything made perfect sense. Rangers, banditos, it sounded like a simple enough trip. He mentally went over what he might or might not want to pick up from the quartermaster before the trip, then tilted himself free of the wall and grinned.

"Sure thing, doc... bossman!

He spoke cheerfully, then snapped a lazy salute to the captain and medic both, and figured he was dismissed until 0600. He turned to the door and let himself out, winking to the secretary as he made to exit the old police station.

Provided he gets out, Morgan then heads directly to the quartermaster, and, after browsing for a bit and wasting time, sees about acquiring any or all of the following: Climbing Gear, Rope, a Mesh Vest, Binoculars (preferably rangefinding), and a Flashlight.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Duncan nods at Edmund's question. He traces the highway with his finger. "The plan was for the Rangers to follow the highway without actually traveling on it, it was agreed that staying on 66 was far too dangerous. While planning out the mission, it was determined that it would be safest to stay north of the highway, but still keeping it in sight."

"They weren't equipped with any long-range radios, so we weren't in contact with them after they set out. We have no idea what happened after they left Kingman or if they ever deviated from the plan."

(To Morgan)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Quartermaster pulls up the Rope, Mesh Vest, Binoculars, Basic Walkie-Talkie, and Flashlight. "Sorry man, we don't have a set of rangefinders or professional climbing gear. And be careful with the batteries in that Walkie, they have been used and recharged so much that they will only live for about 4 hours if its turned on continuously. You may want to save it for when you need it. The flashlight batteries are pretty fresh, though. You should get a good life out of them..."
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-06 at 01:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Michael

Michael watched the shirtless man as he dismissed himself and left the room, presumably to gather supplies. Having heard all he needed to know, Mike decided to follow suit."Captain, if I can just dismiss myself too." He gives a proper salute to the Captain, and then another to the medic. "Sir, I'll go gather my things he says to their newly appointed leader before leaving the headquarters and making his way to the quartermaster.

I could do with some food for this trip... Some more arrows couldn't hurt either... Maybe a pair of binoculars... Having decided on what he wanted, Michael looked around the place for them before asking the quartermaster directly. "Hello there" he says with a little smile on his face, "you got any rations for me? I could maybe do with some more arrows too if you've got some, and if theres a spare pair of binoculars somewhere I could do with them too."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Duncan frowns. "I'm sorry, I forgot to dismiss you all. Speak to the quartermaster and pick up whatever you feel you may need, and don't forget those walkies!"

(To Michael)

Spoiler
    Show
    The Quartermaster nods. He leaves for a moment to check the storage, then returns with all of your requested items. This includes a pair of binoculars, a dozen arrows, a basic walkie-talkie, and 7 days worth of rations. "The Walkie's batterys are a bit worn, so you will only get about 4 hours of use out of them. So don't leave it on unless you need it. Good luck out there man."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan

Bryan nods, salutes the Captain and his new commander, then turns and walks out. He shakes his head as he steps outside. "Expert? What am I an expect on? I just got here. I guess maybe I'm just muscle or something. Maybe just a disposable body. Oh well..."
    Bryan heads to the quartermaster and picks up some more rations and some more arrows. He also remembers to grab the walkie like the Captain ordered. He already had everything else he could think of needing. After he packs it all up in his backpack, he takes the time to write a note to his family explaining what was happening. Hopefully it wouldn't be his last letter.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kent Bellata

Kent gives a hasty salute.
    Captain.

He leaves and makes his way to the storehouse.
    Cool. I've been hoping for something to happen. A chance to put this training into action.

Kent arrives and seeks out the clerk.
    Heya. I could always use more ammo for this baby; Kent pats the Crossbow folded at his side ; and I've been told I can get some rations for an upcoming mission and a radio.

Kent's eyes wander around the area, naturally making his thoughts turn to ways to steal things, but he stashed those thoughts away and his demeanor turned slightly grim. It would be a shame to the ol' Randalf to rip-off the militia his son died for.
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-03-07 at 12:15 AM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Edmund

As the rest of the gang file out, Edmund remains for a time checking distances and any noteable landmarks on the map, trying to commit it all to memory. Once satisfied, he finds a quite spot, pulls out a stub of pencil and jotts down a list of the things he'll need to do.

He spends the rest of the day preparing himself, picking up some useful items (radio, rope, a hat and as much RadScorp antivenom as he can beg/borrow/steal) and planning for the venture ahead.

He gets an early night and arises before sun up and heads for the edge of down to await the rest of the team.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Morgan

A short while after the sun claws its way over the horizon and into the sky, Morgan trots around to the edge of town. He is wearing the same simple homemade cotton pants as he was before, but this time he is also wearing a matching pullover shirt, an old mesh vest over that, and a beaten brown leather jacket over that. Below, he has added homemade chaps and boots. A longsword hangs at his left hip in a scabbard, and a light warhammer hangs at his right from a simple loop. on his back, he carries his normal pack full of stuff.

Having arrived, he sets his pack down, and sits on it, waiting silently for more to arrive.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-03-07 at 01:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Michael

Michael was awake early, not like he had slept much though really. He'd never been one to sleep a lot, late nights and early mornings were the normal routine for Mike. There's plenty of time for sleeping in the grave had always been his thoughts on the subject and it was a motto that had served him well so far in his life.

So it was not long after sunrise that he strolled out of his house and toward the meeting area. He was wearing the same clothes as yesterday with the addition of a battered and worn looking oilcloth outback hat. He had all his equipment stashed inside his small backpack apart from his weapons and quiver; the quiver was slung over his shoulder with the bow lightly strapped to it while he carried his baseball bat.

As soon as he arrives he shrugs off his gear and sets it down, dropping down to sit next to it. He sits in a rather casual position, relaxed and calm with his bat lying on the floor not far from his hand. He nods slightly to everyone else that was there before him, showing a greeting but still staying silent, waiting for somebody else to speak first.

24. - Top - End - #24

Brigham

When he is getting basic supplies he asks the quartermaster if they have any geiger counters. With the radbeast and the area being unexplored by people form Kingman, he thought it would be a wise precaution.

In the morning he shows up at the gathering place and sees many are already there. He nods and said simply, " Good Morning"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

(To Brigham)

Spoiler
    Show
    The Quartermaster shakes his head grimly. "Sorry, man. Geiger's are the exclusive property of the Salvagers. The Militia is only allowed to borrow them if we have to enter known irradiated areas. We usually have to get by using our homemade ones." He thinks for a moment, then turns away and walks into the storeroom. He comes back and drops a box on the table. "These are a bunch of electrical parts that I have spare, maybe you can make your own?" (You can add 5 Electrical parts to your inventory. In the Apoc book, to simplify building/repair, you use a general mechanical/electrical part. So those 5 electrical parts can be used to build/repair any electrical device.

(To Edmund)

Spoiler
    Show
    Along with all your other requests, the Quartermaster hands you a small bottle. "Thats the anti-venom, should be enough for three doses. I trust you have your own syringe? Also, the batteries on that walkie are only good for about 4 hours, so be careful what you use if for."

(To Everyone)

You have all arrived at the western edge of town. You set out, following the remains of the old Highway 66. Most of it is still intact, but the road itself is covered in debris and the junk of numerous broken-down vehicles, all of which have been stripped to bare, rusty shells. Hawks and buzzards circle overhead and you see the occasional desert creature run past.

The terrain is hilly and rocky, but the desert sands manage to snake their way in between the hills and crevices. There are plenty of places to hide, whether from roving eyes or in preparation of an ambush...

Route 66 turns sharply south, but your maps indicate that in approximately 10 miles it will turn Southwest and eventually meet up with I-40, a major thoroughfare that is popular with trade caravans coming up from the Southern California Confederacy.

(To Morgan)

Spoiler
    Show
    As you are originally from the SCC, you know that I-40 is a hotbed of bandit activity. You are not sure which bands frequent this particular stretch, but you wouldn't be surprised if the Los Banditos gang had a stake in the region.

As stated previously, the highway itself is littered with junk. While obviously appearing picked over, it is still possible that something useful may be acquired. That would require walking along the highway itself, making it easier for you to be spotted if anyone were watching. However (enough of you have a high enough survival to know this so I'm making it general knowledge,) staying away from the highway and pushing through the desert will make it much more likely for you to stumble upon a group of Radbeasts.

It is about noon now,
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-07 at 10:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan

Bryan wakes up shortly before dawn like he was used to from life on the farm. He quickly got ready and gathered his things before heading out to meet the others.
    He walks up wearing a worn, brown leather jacket and a battered tan cowboy hat. His hatchet and quiver hang from opposite sides of his belt, with his club and bow attacked to his backpack. He nods curtly to the rest of his new team before moving a bit to one side by himself. After slinging his pack off his shoulders and setting it down he looks around vaguely, apparently lost in his own thoughts.

27. - Top - End - #27

Michael

"Mornin' " Mike replies, speaking in a deep and fairly rough voice, happy that someone else had broken the silence. His one good eye stares into the distance as he thinks about what would be the best way to proceed. He knew that pushing through the deserts could be dangerous, but with the risk of bandits or other enemies so could going over the bridge. They were definitely between a rock and a hard place and no mistake.
    Last edited by Serje; 2008-03-07 at 04:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan

"If I can make a suggestion sir? Most critters sleep during the heat of the day. Bandits ain't so accomodating. May be best to stay off the road." Bryan finishes his remark with a shrug; its not his place to decide what they do next. He adjusts his backpack slightly as he peers about keeping an eye out.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kent Bellata

I'm not afraid of critters. Bandits though... that's another story.

Kent unfolds his crossbow as they walk, knowing full well the risk these uncivilized lands held. Not that back in town was particularly civilized, heh.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

30. - Top - End - #30

Michael

Mike listens to the pair as they both speak their concerns of what they should do; both of them wanting to avoid the highway and push through the desert. Michael didn't particularly mind, he was torn between risking attacks by bandits or others on the highway or going through the desert and risking stumbling across radbeasts unnecessarily and wasting their anti-venom. Either way he was staying quiet about it, leaving the planning to their new leader. However, he was intrigued to actually find out who he was working with.

"So... Who exactly are we all here? The only name I've heard so far is Larkin. I'm Michael anyways, Michael Rodriguez. You can call me Mike if you like though, some people do, some people don't... I can't say I mind..." He then looks around expectantly, waiting for the others to introduce themselves too.