New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: North's Maple Syrup Flavored Non-Alliterative Random Banter #95 Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I'm considering this.
    does it support bluetooth keyboards?
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Dwarf in the Playground

They still make simple mobiles. The ones that just phone, sms, and save your phone numbers. They just don't come for free with the fancy contracts... And when you get a fancy phone, you will use the features on it, inevidably, thereby getting more costs (use of internet, mms, etc) and thus pay more.
    I have a Nathanatar

Check out my poems and photos at deviantArt

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Considering that the keyboard I linked to was a bluetooth keyboard, I'd say yes.

I'll have to check out the reviews of that laser keyboard...

Quote Originally Posted by T'ze'hai View Post
    They still make simple mobiles. The ones that just phone, sms, and save your phone numbers. They just don't come for free with the fancy contracts... And when you get a fancy phone, you will use the features on it, inevidably, thereby getting more costs (use of internet, mms, etc) and thus pay more.
    Well, there is no additional cost to me to use the internet on this phone as it uses my existing wireless LAN or that of a friend's.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Considering that the keyboard I linked to was a bluetooth keyboard, I'd say yes.

memo to self:
    read articles fully before commenting...
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    Does anyone have some sort of 'cunning plan' or equivalent for getting rid of ringing ears? It's getting better, but I want not ringing ears now (or at least soonish). It is very irritating. Particularly since my house is pretty much silent, except for my keyboard.
    Depends. Loud concert-induced ringing: Not to my knowledge. That tiny annoying buzz when everything's silent: If you figure something out, please tell me. Temporary: Well, I bash the side of my head into my palm. Also, what... Was it Zakama? That thing about pushing that bit of ear in front of the hole into the hole kinda works sometimes, I think, cuz it changes the pressure or something.

We can has not talking about zombies nao?

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does anyone have some sort of 'cunning plan' or equivalent for getting rid of ringing ears? It's getting better, but I want not ringing ears now (or at least soonish). It is very irritating. Particularly since my house is pretty much silent, except for my keyboard.
    And you people call yourselves geeks and/or nerds. Such a precious reference missed out.
    This is what happenes when I do coursework, puns and quotes are missed!

[Baldrick]I have a cuning plan m'lord. It's as cunning as a fox what graduated from the Oxford School of CUnning wiv full honours. That's how cunning m'plan is m'lord.[/Baldrick]
    And the plan is: to take two dead rats. Shove one into pone ear'ole. And then shove the other rat into the other ear.

[Blackadder]Baldrick, run into my fist.[/Blackadder]
    Right, now Baldrick is unconcious try this plan: at the moment I'm in a computer room enjoying free time before my bus and the room is buzzing/ringing too. Are you sure it's not the computer?
    If it isn't: other electrical devices.
    If it isn't that: earplugs.

And now for something completely different: my Eng Lit lecturer told me thatmy essay is almost perfect and just needs a few minor tweaks (mostly grammatuical oor clarification). I've also handed in three final pieces, have some very small adjustments for the Lit and one draft coursework to do before Easter ends.
    In other news: All. My. Coursework. Is. Done.
    *boogies and gigves out free sweets of choice*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

7. - Top - End - #1057

I saw it. I just forgot to comment
    Oo oo! I bags the Turkish delight!
    I made hot cross buns today... and they worked out quite well! Yum ^_^

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

It's gone now, but I knew what it was. It was doing crowd control at a gig organised by a friend directly in front of the speakers. Which would also explain my black eye and crushed toes. Was still fun though, despite the band being, in general, terrible. Although it was quite scary how many people in my year (or lower) drink themselves into oblivion. It depresses me somewhat.

*stuffs face with opal fruits*

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Bugbear in the Playground

There actually is such a thing as hot cross buns? Damn. I thought it was just a thing you did on the recorder to torment your relations.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

10. - Top - End - #1060

I had some Hot Cross buns for the first time in years yesterday and I forgot how delicious they are. And now I want some more, well, it's Easter on |Sunday. I can wait that long.
    *hands over Turkish Delight*
    Even though you did forget to comment. After all, even slightly geeky humans of the female persuasion must stick together. We are a very rare species. . . who deserve more chocolate!

Easter is very on my mind right now. Taking over my birthday and Dad's.
    Which then leads me to wonder: could one D&Dify the Easter Bunny?#

EDIT:
    @ Rubakhin: Hot Cross Buns exist. And I think they originally come from ENgland, although I'm not sure.

FURTHER EDIT: Nope. They don't. Just stereotypical; y'know.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2008-03-19 at 08:25 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #1061

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Which then leads me to wonder: could one D&Dify the Easter Bunny?
    Do you mean, the vorpal bunny?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

12. - Top - End - #1062

Curly: I agree with everything you said! 'specially the bit about giving me Turkish delight
    These were entirely fruitless hot cross buns, for three reasons: 1. I hate peel, 2. I don't particularly like sultanas being in everything and 3. We don't have any dried fruit. To compensate, I added extra sugar, packed it full of spices, and put icing sugar into the cross mixture

13. - Top - End - #1063

I
    @ Rubakhin: Hot Cross Buns exist. And I think they originally come from ENgland, although I'm not sure.

Frick, they look good. I call for official importation to Russia! *muse* What would "hot cross bun" be in Russian - goryachaya krest bulka?
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

14. - Top - End - #1064

You want the recipe I used? It's not too hard. Lets see... Yeast, an egg, plain flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, milk, water, salt... I think that's all you need.

15. - Top - End - #1065

*writes this down* A recipe would be good. It does not sound too hard, no.

Of course, you're talking to the guy who managed to light Jello on fire. Ach. Fortunately some of my friends are into baking now and I can probably nag them into trying to cook this.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

16. - Top - End - #1066

Halright then...

Hot Cross Buns as Cooked by Serpentine (mix of 2 recipes + modification)

500g (1lb) plain flour
    60g caster sugar
    7g dried yeast/14g fresh yeast
    1tsp salt
    ~2tsp ground cinnamon
    ~1.5tsp ground allspice
    ~0.5tsp grated nutmeg
    60g (2oz) butter, melted and cooled slightly
    150ml tepid milk
    75ml tepid water
    1 egg, beaten

1. Sift flour into a large bowl, stir in sugar, yeast, salt, and spices. Make a well in the middle and pour in butter, milk, water and egg (and fruit if you want it). Mix to a soft dough, adding more flour if necessary.
    2. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, shape into a round.
    3. Put into an oiled bowl, cover with oiled cling wrap, and leave in a warm place to rise for 1-1.5 hours until doubled in size.
    4. Knock back the dough with your fists (i.e. punch the air out of it), then turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape into round rolls.
    5. Lightly oil 2 baking trays, arrange the buns on the trays, and cover with oiled cling wrap. Leave in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
    6. Make cross mixture by combining flour, water and icing sugar to make a pipeable paste. Pipe crosses onto buns.
    7. Bake buns in a preheated oven at 220oC (210oC fan-forced, 425oF, Gas 7) for 15 minutes or until well risen and browned (in this case, ~12 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack.
    8. While buns are cooking, make a glaze by dissolving 2tbs caster sugar in 2tbs water (heating may be required). Brush onto buns as soon as they come out of the oven (left buns sticky, not sure if that can be fixed).
    9. Eat warm or cold, with or without butter.

I was seriously considering making a (stickyable?) recipe thread... Sisqui said a while ago that she'd collected all the past ones, but she didn't answer my inquiry asking about them.

edit: I should mention that I used more sugar than this, and the amounts of spices listed are more than in the books' recipes, as I didn't use fruit.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2008-03-19 at 09:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rubakhin View Post
    There actually is such a thing as hot cross buns? Damn. I thought it was just a thing you did on the recorder to torment your relations.
    Not to mention yourself. I had to take recorder in fifth grade, despite the fact that I'd learnt how to play one in third. But of course I had to be a good little girl and do my homework anyway, so that song ended up haunting me for months.

Really? I thought they were something sold at Lent-time or something, that's why they have a cross on them. Whatever.
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

18. - Top - End - #1068

Well, the cross doesn't come from England either... In the same book as one of the hot cross bun recipes, right next to it, is a recipe for "Greek Easter bread". I guess that'd be a good contender for origins. Oh, and they're a traditionally Easter food, not Lent (Lent's not around Eastertime, is it?).
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2008-03-19 at 09:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Well, the cross doesn't come from England either... In the same book as one of the hot cross bun recipes, right next to it, is a recipe for "Greek Easter bread". I guess that'd be a good contender for origins. Oh, and they're a traditionally Easter food, not Lent (Lent's not around Eastertime, is it?).
    Lent is the time in between Carnival and Easter.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought Easter was the end of Lent, but I could be wrong on that. I'm not so up on all of the Catholic holidays.
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

21. - Top - End - #1071

Me neither. Obviously... Eh, either way.

22. - Top - End - #1072

Didn't icanhascheezburger have a mobile phone webpage (aka WAP)? I can't find it.

Alas, no, they created an iPhone app .

Well, the iPhone page works, better than the normal one anyway.

w00t, and even better at 50% zoom.

23. - Top - End - #1073

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog22 View Post
    I thought Easter was the end of Lent, but I could be wrong on that. I'm not so up on all of the Catholic holidays.
    It's in all the Christian denominations. Lent is the forty-day period that ends on Easter. It represents The Temptation of Christ, the time that Jesus spent in the desert fasting and being tempted by Satan after his baptismal. Roman Catholics will give up a luxury, something like sugar, alcohol, video games, whatever, for those forty days so they can suffer in a slightly similar way, and they generally don't eat meat on Fridays during this time.

Orthodox religion calculates Lent differently (same forty days, but at a different time - our Easter's not until late April) and celebrates it differently as well. For instance, we don't have to give up anything and everybody's grandmothers will make poppy seed cakes. I wish I could eat them year round but for some reason they're considered holiday food.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

Now I want hot cross buns. :(

*hums softly*

hot cross buns...
    hot cross buns...
    one-a-penny,
    two-a-penny,
    hot cross buns...

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rubakhin View Post
    It's in all the Christian denominations. Lent is the forty-day period that ends on Easter. It represents The Temptation of Christ, the time that Jesus spent in the desert fasting and being tempted by Satan after his baptismal. Roman Catholics will give up a luxury, something like sugar, alcohol, video games, whatever, for those forty days so they can suffer in a slightly similar way, and they generally don't eat meat on Fridays during this time.

Orthodox religion calculates Lent differently (same forty days, but at a different time - our Easter's not until late April) and celebrates it differently as well. For instance, we don't have to give up anything and everybody's grandmothers will make poppy seed cakes. I wish I could eat them year round but for some reason they're considered holiday food.
    its usually just good Friday nowadays that they don't eat meat, which this year is this Friday
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

26. - Top - End - #1076

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Thanks, that keyboard sure is exciting, but after reading the review, I think I'll pass.

27. - Top - End - #1077

Quote Originally Posted by Rumda View Post
    its usually just good Friday nowadays that they don't eat meat, which this year is this Friday
    Really? Well, maybe it varies by culture. I remember as a kid, with my Polish relatives, I couldn't eat meat on Fridays either ... which pissed me off because Fridays at school were pizza day ... And last Friday I was at a restaurant, and the (American) family at the next table asked the waitress if their tomato sauce had any meat in it. Had to explain to the Jewish friend I was with about Lent, etc. But the Poles can be very pious. Some Americans, too.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

28. - Top - End - #1078

Question Re: North's Maple Syrup Flavored Non-Alliterative Random Banter #95 Eh?

No more college for an as yet unknown time! Thank some deity that I never check dates.
    And Rawhide: I bet without even clicking on the link it goes to something about Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Such a great film. *quotes some*

But now college is over I'm going to be bored and job hunting. Oh, and running meaningless errands for lazy family members. *sigh*

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #1079

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog22 View Post
    Carnival is before Easter, exactly forty days, actually, and thus Ina is right.

I personally never practised any of these practises, or the faith, for that matter, and thus only know from relatives. Fortunately there's other things than meat on Easter, too. At least with one part of my family.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by purple gelatinous cube o' Doom View Post
    Or it might cause one as per Cell by Stephen King.
    Those weren't zombies, just random people who happened to have their brains more-or-less wiped clean of all but their most basic instincts and...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Was caused by some jerk with a computer

Definatly far removed from any Zombie Apocolypse plot.
    [/mildsarcasam]
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP