New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default 4E Keep on the Shadowfell IC

The Keep on the Shadowfell, Chapter I.

You have been traveling west along the old King's Road for several days now. It is a hot summer day, but the wind in your face is cool and comfortable. An occasional ancient cobblestone peeks through the dirt road, indicating decades of neglect. It winds though a lush forest of old oaks and elms, the sound of small birds filling the air around you. Having left civilization behind you quite some time ago, you can't help but wonder occasionally when it will disappear to leave you stranded in the surrounding wilderness. Up ahead in the distance, you can see several large boulders looming up close to the side of the road.
    Last edited by Razarac; 2008-07-02 at 04:09 PM.
    "...men have broken the seals to those deep caverns, and now this terror prowls the night under the open sky." —Kuduk Lore

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: 4E Keep on the Shadowfell IC

OOC:Durik is obviously young, with fair, unblemished skin. He gives off an unkempt air, with tousled dark brown hair that has gone uncut for far too long. He is short (5'6") and wiry (120lb). While traveling he has been placid with only his constantly shifting hazel eyes showing much energy about him. His clothing is rough and faded, most likely second-hand. He carries a longbow as tall as he is on his back, with a small sword and knife belted across his waste. While not unpleasant to be about, he has not spoken around the campfire much, prefering to quietly enjoy the company of the group from the fringes in the languid manner of a housecat./OOC

Durik has been quiet for most of the journey, basking in a feeling of serenity as civilization drifts further behind. However, as he rounds a turn into view of the boulders his brow furrows and he starts looking around and behind the group.

"Something bothers me about this..."

He kneels to the side of the road, pushing weeds back from a dusty patch to show a small clawed footprint.

"I've been seeing these occasionally for the last mile or so, and there are many on the road here. Unless halflings in this area grow claws like rats..."

He stands, looking nervously at the boulders ahead and unshoulders the well oiled longbow from his back.

"I can't tell how old these are. Maybe I'm just being skittish, but the number of tracks here raise my hackles. Should I try and take a look?"

[edit:I've adopted Dark Green as my color, and modified the post to put a rough description of Durik into the narrative.]
    Last edited by Diego; 2008-07-02 at 04:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aramil

The eladrin follows the rest of the group, rather haughty as you first met him, only giving his name as Aramil, insisting that their paths merely coincide until Winterhaven. Standing at medium height with his long blonde hair, green eyes, and fair skin - the typical eladrin trio - he walks with elegance in his simple green traveler's robes. While seeming to stand offish and quiet at the back of the group, he occasionally gives a scoff at the members of the group if they do anything unsightly, like Durik scavenging about for tracks on his hands, only coughing and excusing himself if questioned.

(OOC: I didn't get a chance to speak in this post, but I will be reserving Purple as my speech color)
    Last edited by Xilehxt; 2008-07-02 at 04:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The massive dragon gives a serious look at Durik.

He's not an outdoors-man like him... and now, with possible threats looming on them, he feels his inadequacy, as his scales take a turn to an even redder color. I haven't noticed a single thing - cor, I don't even know what to look for! he thinks, thankful for the presence of his travelling companions.

Old habits return to him quickly as he takes his shield from his back and puts it on, trusting on Durik's sense of danger as he would on that of an other guard back in the city.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

If Thorgrimm's appearance could be summarized by one word, that word would be "solid". This five feet tall, barrel-chested dwarf resembles a small boulder, especially when clad in his battle-worn plate armor, a sturdy round shield at his side. His wide, square face is framed by a wild mane and a thick beard, both of the color of iron, and a pale grey complexion certainly contributes to his overall "stony" look. When he first met the other travellers along the King's Road, Thorgrimm was quite happy to join them for mutual protection; he also seemed rather impatient to put a healthy distance between himself and Fallcrest.

*As the young hunter warns the traveling group about the possible dangers ahead, Thorgrimm unhooks the throwing hammer from his belt*

"As I told you when we decided to band together, this road is infested by treacherous bandits. But fear not! The mere sight of this fine company boldly marching towards their ambush should make them think twice about molesting us! Ho-ho-h...hey Durik, what do you mean CLAWS?"
    Last edited by fortebraccio; 2008-07-03 at 05:42 AM. Reason: selected dimgray as thorgrimm's color

6. - Top - End - #6

RangerGuy

With a tentative smile Durik steps back towards the treeline. "I'll be back in just a moment." He turns and vanishes into the treeline, his faded cloak blending into the colors of wood and leaf.

Spoiler
    Show
    And this is me playing around with the die roller so I can be sure I understand how it works. Rolling Stealth:
    (1d20+10)(1d20+10)[22]

OOC:Durik is attempting to flank the boulders, or at least get a vantage point from which he can see past them, even if it is not necessarily within bowshot.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Be careful out there, young man!"

*Thorgrimm turns to the companions at his side, with a worried expression*

"If things get rough we are supposed to go and bail him out. We better get ready... and whatever happens, I'll do my best to shield you from harm. The guy mentioned clawed footprints...what should we expect?"

*He then addresses the Dragonborn, whose majestic appearance has deeply impressed him*

" What do you think we should do, honourable Dragon Man? Slowly advance towards those boulders so that we can intervene in a moment should our scout get in trouble? On the other hand, doing so could give out his position..."

8. - Top - End - #8

WhiteWizardGirl

Raella

Raella watches in closely guarded admiration as Durik faded effortlessly into the trees. However his simple act only seemed to highlight Raella's growing sense of unease. The wilderness was not simply not her world, and she did not fancy her long-term chances if this group should decide to abandon her also.

Raella moves closer to the dwarf and dragonborn listening closely to their conversation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

*As the half-elven girl approaches, Thorgrimm greets her with a broad smile*

"Probably we are just being over-cautious about those mysterious footprints and that rocky outcrop ahead of us, Madam... "

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

OOC: Durik, check your PM.

Durik creeps away from the rest of the party, silently disappearing into the surrounding undergrowth. It's surprisingly quiet all of a sudden. Nothing can be heard but the sound of the wind in the trees...
    Last edited by Razarac; 2008-07-03 at 02:26 PM.
    "...men have broken the seals to those deep caverns, and now this terror prowls the night under the open sky." —Kuduk Lore

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Korash

Lowering his voice, the dragon turns to Thorgrimm, hating the situation as much as he does: "I don't like one bit having a lad on his lonesome like this, master dwarf, but we make ourselves known, and we're rattling him out as well.
    I think we've no choice but keeping at the ready, hears open, in case he shouts an alarm... or someone else does."

Worriedly, Korash loosens his blade in its scabbard, fearing soon the steel will be drawn - "But if he takes more than ten clacks, I'm running in no matter what - he must be in a though spot, if he isn't back by then."

12. - Top - End - #12

Aramil

Looking disenchanted, Aramil proceeds to walk past the group saying, Excuse me, and heads down King's Road on his business.

My my, getting scared of rat tracks. Life doesn't wait for the timid, as I always say.

13. - Top - End - #13

RangerGuy

*Mellandra save me from fools and wizards...*

OOC:PM replied to, with an if statement. What happens next from me is GM's decision.
    Last edited by Diego; 2008-07-03 at 02:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

*Thorgrimm's expression changes from worried to horrified as he notices the noble Eladrin nonchalantly walking toward the boulders*

Excuse me, my good sir, but that's not a good idea... for your own safety you should wait until Durik comes back and tell's us that the path is clear...uhm...

*The dwarf stops talking, confused by Aramil's confidence*

This fairy creature really looks like he's perfectly in control of the situation... I just hope that he knows better than me.

15. - Top - End - #15

Aramil

The eladrin stops to talk sense into the dwarf.

No worries, Master Dwarf. Did you not say yourself that any ambush would be scared of my presence? As a master of the arcana, no being would dare attack, unless he be brave or a fool. Nay, only a fool would attack.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Yes but..."

*The dwarf look slightly puzzled*

Ar-kah-na. Whatever it is, it sounds quite menacing...

"...well, if it is ok with the mighty Dragon-Man, it is ok with me. Just make sure that Durik's position isn't revealed by your advance...uh, but I'm sure you didn't need the words of this dwarf to take that into consideration..."

*Thorgrimm is genuinely persuaded that the Eladrin could take care of himself *
    Last edited by fortebraccio; 2008-07-03 at 03:53 PM. Reason: forgot to color the speech

17. - Top - End - #17

WhiteWizardGirl

Raella

Arrogant little twerp...

"Sir," Raella turns to address the eldarin in quiet tones "how very pleasing it is to hear your confidence in your abilities. Perhaps though you could remain here with us - just until Durik returns? Professional courtesy for his skills and all that? I mean, if it is just nothing, then what is a few moments rest to us while he skulks foolishly in the undergrowth?"
    Last edited by Hesquidor; 2008-07-03 at 04:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Aramil

Somewhat viewing Raelia in new light, Aramil considers for a moment and says,

I suppose so. The travel was long and might as well as rest awhile the ranger scouts. Winterhaven isn't going anywhere, neither is my glory and fame.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Just as Aramil agrees to wait for Durik with the rest of the party, the young ranger suddenly shows up on the fringe of the treeline to the north side of the road. He's excitedly waving a red piece of cloth from behind his cloak to draw your attention!

When he has it he holds up four fingers and two, pointing towards the builders at the south side of the road ahead. Then he holds up two fingers and points towards the boulders at the north side of the road (remember that the road runs from east to west). Having done this he points at Karosh and Thorgrimm, motioning for them to move along towards the builders. Finally, he draws and nocks an arrow to his bow, aiming for the road up ahead...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

*Thorgrimm sighs, and quickly double-checks the straps that fasten his armor and shield*

"Alright, it looks like we're headed for some trouble."

[To Aramil and Raella]

"Kerosh and I are going to engage whatever is lurking behind those boulders. There's no need for you to be involved in the fight if you don't feel up to it...but I guess Aramil is eager to unleash this portentous ar...cana. If by chance some enemy manage to attack you, call me and I'll be there as soon as this short legs allow me to."

*Said that Thorgrimm looks at Kerosh, waiting for instructions from the Dragonborn*

21. - Top - End - #21

Aramil

Following closely behind the two warriors, Aramil says,

More like, you guys will help me while I dispatch those fools that would try and ambush me. Watch closely, this kind of magic isn't common.

He takes out an emerald orb that shines mysteriously from his sleeves, as it gives off a sparkle of power as Aramil gets ready for combat.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Karosh

Either he's a fool, as those that would attack him... or he's very, VERY good... the dragon thinks hearing the mage's talk.
    Praying (mostly for their brave scout) that he's really all that good, he calls on him, with "pre-battle" efficiency: "Master of the arcana, I'm ready to be impressed - it will be a first for me, seeing magic in field action.
    We're going to flush our ambushers out, unless you require a different set-up."

Waiting a moment for the mage's thoughts, he unsheats his sword and readies for the charge - "Master Thorgrimm, the charge's ours - it will be an honor being together in the melee" and starts a slow, accellerating run toward the southern boulders, and the six ambushers that so badly outnumber the chargers.
    Last edited by Sotto; 2008-07-04 at 04:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

*Thorgrimm nods in approval and begins to advance at the Dragonborn side*

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Karosh charges forward with his sword raised, closely followed by Thorgrimm and Aramil. Meanwhile, Durik keeps his longbow trained on the road ahead and Raella remains behind.

When he is about halfway towards the boulders flanking the road, a group of five little humanoids with reddish scales and long snouts jump out from behind the one to the south. They snarl as they bare their tiny, sharp teeth with a look of menace in their glittering little eyes! Brandishing long, barbed spears they step forward, preparing to dash towards the trio of adventurers charging their way!

[OOC: Roll for initiative and post your action for this round! Neither side is surprised, so we all get an action right away. Raella is standing down the road about 60 feet away from the boulders, Karosh and the others are about halfway there at 30 feet. They're just passing Durik, who is at 30 feet distance as well, except that he is standing 10 feet into the forest at the treeline. Five kobolds have just appeared from behind the boulders.]

25. - Top - End - #25

RangerGuy

Wait for it.... wait for it....

Action:
    Twin Shot the scaly things as they pass me (2 in one, or at separate if the first one drops)

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative
    (1d20+9)[12]

First Shot:
    (1d20+7)[27] vs AC to hit
    (1d10)[6] damage

Second Shot
    (1d20+7)[18] vs AC to hit
    (1d10)[7] damage

I might have combat advantage (an additional +2 to hit) due to sneaking. GM's discretion.

I will also use Fox's Cunning against the first foe to make a melee attack against me.
    Last edited by Diego; 2008-07-04 at 11:16 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Aramil

Initiative:(1d20+1)[18]+2 thanks to Korash

Aramil stops and backs up 30 feet once he has the little critters in sight. He chants incomprehensible words as the orb in his hand shines. With a final decisive word, he thrusts his hands towards the fools and suddenly the road beneath them is covered with ice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Icy terrain. It's burst one, so Aramil is aiming to get the most he can in the effect. I'll roll five attacks, in the lucky case all five fit in. If not, just use the rolls from top down. Also, if it hits, they are prone. In addition the area that spell was cast in counts as difficult terrain.

Attack1:(1d20+4)[11]
    Attack2:(1d20+4)[17]
    Attack3:(1d20+4)[17]
    Attack4:(1d20+4)[15]
    Attack5:(1d20+4)[20]
    Damage:(1d6+4)[10]
    Last edited by Xilehxt; 2008-07-04 at 12:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Seeing the puny abominations in an almost draconic form, the true dragonborn lets his momentum crash into them, breaking their formation, knowing that as soon as Thorgrimm will join arms, the true melee will start.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[16]
    Korash takes a move a couple of squares forward (10 feet), then charges the nearest kobold:
    attack (1d20+8)[25]
    damage (1d8+4)[5]

Bonuses for everyone (within 50 feet): +2 Initiative

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Thorgrimm

* Thorgrimm whirls the small hammer above his head and throws it at the nearest scaly monster in sight. He then moves forward to engage the enemy while unhooking his trusty warhammer.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (d20-1)[4]

Ranged Attack: (d20+7)[16]

Damage: (d6+4)[10]

The dwarf moves up to 25 feet, possibly stopping when he is adjacent to an opponent. He wields the warhammer as a minor action.

Last edited by fortebraccio; 2008-07-04 at 01:52 PM. Reason: mechanical references moved into the spoiler box

29. - Top - End - #29

WhiteWizardGirl

Raella

Raella hesitates briefly before pulling her wand from her belt. If they figure it out, well...we'll see. She hurries forward before pointing her wand at the nearest target. A bolt of black fire bursts from the tip.

Spoiler
    Show
    Raella moves forward 30ft and uses her Eldritch Blast.

Initiative - (1d20+2)[10]
    Hit - (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[13]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

[OOC: I made a bit of a mistake with distances, confusing squares with feet! You guys are way to close to each other, but I'll leave it as it is for now. Proceed as planned!]

Initiative:
    Aramil 20
    Spear Kobolds 18
    Dragonshield Kobolds 17
    Karosh 16
    Diego 12
    Sneaky Kobold 11
    Raella 10
    Thorgrimm 4

The lizard-like creatures let out a piercing yell as they rush to meet the dragonborn' and dwarf's charge! Meanwhile, Aramil slips backwards while raising a crystal orb in his hand. With a few arcane syllables the eladrin fills it with crackling energy before he sends a blast of ice towards the creatures charging you! Two of them are hit square in the face and go down with a startled grunt while a third of them manages to slip through it. Together with one of his remaining fellows he crashes straight into Thorgrimm with his spear just as the dwarven warrior tries to get his throwing hammer ready! Thorgrimm easily blocks the first blow with his shield but only barely dodges another vicious thrust by backing off quickly. The last of them manages to catch Karosh right in the middle of his charge, only a deft sidestep turning it's lethal thrust into a nasty scratch! [Karosh takes 4 damage]

Meanwhile, two especially mean and tough-looking specimens of the snarling monsters slink out from behind the boulder at the north side of the road! They are wearing scale armor and a shield shaped like a giant dragonscale. Brandishing sharp and wickedly barbed blades, they press forward from behind the others, yapping at them in encouragement.

Recovering from the glancing blow he just received, Karosh whirls his blade around to completely gut the hapless creature before him. As it goes down in a gurgling whimper whilst clutching it's throat, he is just in time to notice the two nasty-looking brutes advancing right towards them with a grim and bloodthirsty look in their eyes! Just as suddenly, the dragonborn warrior hears two of Diego's arrows hiss past him towards their new opponents. One of them glances off a scaled shield while the other finds the creature's shoulder. It let's out a hissing grunt, but does not stop...

Having his eyes on the threat in front of him, Karosh is unpleasantly surprised as a small ceramic pot hits him square in the head, splashing a strange glue-like liquid all over him as it shatters! [Karosh takes 9 damage and is immobilized; save ends] Only a few feet away from him, Thorgrimm has gotten his throwing hammer out just as Raella sends a black blast of energy towards their assailants! In trying to avoid her dwarven ally standing between herself and her target she barely misses, causing a spray of dirt and rubble to blast up from the road right next to them. The little menaces jump backwards in surprise, which leaves Thorgrimm with just enough room to send his throwing hammer crashing straight in one of their faces, leaving the other standing covered in dust and a spray of his fellow's blood...

[OOC: next round people! Post your actions!]