New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 97 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 87

So those are Hard Rock Golems? Clog said 4 of them. However they kinda look like Metal Golems, but there was only 1. I suppose they might have made 3 more of them in the turns between now and then.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Ansom's tunnel attack is a feint, so I do not expect to see much from the marbits. I doubt there will be any casters on their side.

Parson is making it look like he is responding in force to the feint. He is pounding the dickens out of the one scouting group he has found. Now, "scouts"---assuming that such a class exists---seem to have natural thinkamancy which allows them to report immediately. I cannot imagine how it works with marbit scouts, but we saw how it worked with Vinny's bats. Perhaps the marbits do not have any such communication ability, but if they do then Ansom knows that Stanley has deployed four hard rock golems down there. That should convince Ansom that Stanley---or whoever is in charge---has taken the bait.

Parson gains a little from this. If Ansom is lulled into thinking that all of the enemy forces are in the tunnels then he might try to storm the walls in a big stupid hurry, falling into whatever trap Parson has planned. So what has he got planned? It could be anything, but I have delicious idea. Wouldn't it be great if Sizemore could collapse the ground underneath the siege engines? I'm not sure how that would work with the turn structure, though. You would need to do it when they had gotten close enough but before they had actually had damaged the defenses.

Oh well, we know that Sizemore has completed some preparations. We'll find out eventually.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind View Post
    I hope Ansom makes the twitchy-angry "inconceivable!" face again. *crosses fingers*
    Ansom has been burned once by a trap, and Parson seems to understand how he thinks fairly well. He seems to be making another attempt at "playing the opponent, not the game".

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind View Post
    That's a good point. Maggie did mention scouting units specifically. I was assuming he wouldn't know because there was the lag time to receive reports when Parson hit the column, but there might not have been any marbit scouts there to report. This is the first time we've seen Marbits in battle since the first few pages.
    Actually, we saw some of them in battle during the dwagon raids on the seige units. However, there's no reason to suppose that they were scouting units, specifically.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-02-29 at 08:10 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

ultimatly we dont know how the whole scouting thing works so we cant be certain how much ansom knows or dosnt know yet

for instance if a scout has to stop and 'think' the report to HQ then a brutal overwhelming first strike could maintain the initiative by denying them time,

unfortunatly we dont know if Vinnie's bats are A a typical scout or B special case for his side and him,

but basically i think Parson is pulling a decoy of his own to convince ansom that the bulk of GK's forces are down in the tunnels, specially as he ordered team Golem to go hunting as opposed to wait and take them out when they get here, Parson had to make it look like there is an entrenched strong force down there,

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteNoise View Post
    but basically i think Parson is pulling a decoy of his own to convince ansom that the bulk of GK's forces are down in the tunnels, specially as he ordered team Golem to go hunting as opposed to wait and take them out when they get here, Parson had to make it look like there is an entrenched strong force down there,
    Apparently, Ansom's forces could not reach all the way through the tunnels into GK proper on their previous turn, despite the lack of resistance encountered. Thus, Parson will be able to move everything to the walls after hitting the forward scouts, knowing that even if Ansom does try going through the tunnels anyway, he'll have an opportunity next turn to redeploy and try to stop the invaders before they reach the city. Basically, he can shuffle his forces and make them look bigger than they are.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-02-29 at 08:30 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

For what it's worth, my vote? Definately hard rock golems....

7. - Top - End - #67

Wow, just wow, beatifull comic.

My only question is this. In the blog it said croackmancers granted an ever bigger bonus to uncoracked units than dirtamancers granted to golems.

So, how many of you think that next turn, the coalition troops try to attack the walls, and Wanda appears with her uncroacked forces and beats the crap out of them?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabra View Post
    That pose is straight off of the "Destroyer" album from KISS. So they MUST be metal.
    Impressive, that's it exactly !

And Heavy Metal being a sub-species of Hard Rock, I believe these are the 4 hard rock golems listed in the Klog.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Actually, we saw some of them in battle during the dwagon raids on the seige units.
    I didn't believe you until I clicked the link. I would have sworn they weren't there, but they're everything pink/purple that's not a dwagon. Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    So, how many of you think that next turn, the coalition troops try to attack the walls, and Wanda appears with her uncroacked forces and beats the crap out of them?
    I get the feeling that would elicit one of those shivery smiles.

Hopefully Maggie will be able to put Wanda back together into a functioning 'mancer.

Quote Originally Posted by slb View Post
    Reference #2278 that I missed....
    Last edited by The Blind; 2008-02-29 at 09:46 AM. Reason: I didn't end my sentence.
    Don't feed the twolls.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

The existence of non-scout marbits does not preclude the existence of scout marbits.

Also, for some reason, I got the impression that scouting units could only use their natural thinkamancy reporting on their own turn. The bats, with the extra-special link to Vinnie, would be an exception. I have no evidence to back any of this, but that's the impression I got.

Then again, didn't Ansom comment that none of the marbit scouts had reported back yet? Maybe Maggie is doing something to block scouting reports.

I unfortunately don't have time to look up the reference...

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

I haven't posted here for a long time, but I LOVED the heavy metal references!!

I hate it when comics try too hard for a cameo, but that was done perfectly!

Awesome job.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by slb View Post

And Heavy Metal being a sub-species of Hard Rock, I believe these are the 4 hard rock golems listed in the Klog.
    HA! We were wondering how long it would take for you guys to get the reference. Clearly, the KISS Army is alive and well here at GiantITP. Good going El_Chupacabra and slb.

We should be giving out "No Prizes" for getting some of the more obscure stuff.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Marbits appeared to be digging, not just scouting. Is that important? Seems like an attacking force without knowledge of the layout would just keep to the already open areas, rather than cut new holes.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's not clear to me what's happening in panel #5...did the marbits try to tunnel away and run into a solid metal wall? Did the metal golems emerge out of that wall? If so, can dirt/rock golems move through solid dirt/rock without sizemore having to make a tunnel?
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Long live the Heavy Metal Gölems.

As a member of the Kiss Army, it fills my heart with joy to see them so prominently in this comic.

Keep it up, folks.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBrowncoat View Post
    It's not clear to me what's happening in panel #5...did the marbits try to tunnel away and run into a solid metal wall? Did the metal golems emerge out of that wall? If so, can dirt/rock golems move through solid dirt/rock without sizemore having to make a tunnel?
    I'm pretty sure that is the Hard Rock golems moving _with_ Sizemore, since he can move through solid rock...
    --Arkham : The Blackened Hatter

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

This isn't completely related but I do believe you can see all the different golems at the top of Parsons Klog #9.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Remember Page 78 explains that the tunnels are very bad defense, also by collapsing too many tunnels might destroy the city.

I don't think Parson has a master plan yet, I think he's just turtling, and he sent Sizemore down in the tunnels because he is best suited for the tunnels.

I think Ansom wont' change his plans from when we first heard about them, page 21 and page 22.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Okay, first thing is first: ShinyBrowncoat, your username and avatar rock. Now to less important more relevant matters...

First off, the rock trap is pretty clearly an ambush tactic used by the Marbits. The crap golem is making no attempt at stealth, while the Marbits are pressed against the wall. It's pretty clear that they set themselves up at a choke point in order to pick off a lone defender. Now that they've been discovered, they attempt to create their own escape route rather than run into an ambush, only to run into... an ambush. (And those are definitely hard rock golems. Metal golems probably wouldn't look so craggy.)

Now, judging from the Dwagon Doughnut assault, we know that Ansom can get cursory intel without the hats. They were (apparently) instantly aware of engagements and their outcomes, but not about the specifics. They knew the enemy withdrew, but not the casualty numbers on either side. This could be the natural magic of scouts, since the Marbits were heavily engaged by the dwagons. In this case, an immediate and total wipe would send only "Marbit stack 1 engaged enemy, stack destroyed", thus allowing the augmented golems to appear like a full defense force. Note that he specified only the closest stack: he wants to give the illusion of a front line when he's really using a guerilla force. This reinforces Ansom's perception of the battlefield while costing Parson nothing that Stanley would have considered using anyway. All that remains of Stanley's forces are still free to be allocated elsewhere. It's likely also a play for more time. Every turn that passes before the siege begins is another chance for Wanda to snap out of it and shift the tables in Parson's favor.

This is where Parson's novice status gives him the advantage: even when pinned into a desperate last stand, an established warlord would still avoid using their casters simply because it wouldn't occur to them. They've had it drilled into their heads so often that it's a bad idea that the thought never comes up, just like using the withdraw option offensively. Parson just looks at them and says "You might die if you fight, but you're certainly going to die if you don't".

Another potential goal on Parson's side is to make taking the city too expensive for Ansom's tastes. His alliance is united against Stanley, but Stanley is no longer in the city. If they don't think they can use the tunnels and they can't easily take the walls with their weakened siege assets, Ansom may be forced to decide between taking the city and keeping his alliance intact. It may not be a "win" for Gobwin Knob, but it wouldn't be a "loss" and that's a win enough in Parson's book.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    First off, the rock trap is pretty clearly an ambush tactic used by the Marbits.
    Apparently, you're pondering what I'm pondering.

Now, judging from the Dwagon Doughnut assault, we know that Ansom can get cursory intel without the hats. They were (apparently) instantly aware of engagements and their outcomes, but not about the specifics. They knew the enemy withdrew, but not the casualty numbers on either side.
    My read is that the "unit report" is a full listing of the side's forces (kind of like the Stupid Meal info Parson got last turn). As such, it's a "game bookkeeping" function independent of "in-game" communication.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, first thing is first: ShinyBrowncoat, your username and avatar rock.
    Hard, soft, acid or metal?

Thanks, I actually borrowed the graphic from someone on fireflyfans.net.

Back to the topic at hand, perhaps I'm slow but what are you and SteveMB pondering? Why a scouting stack would set up an ambush/trap?

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBrowncoat View Post
    Back to the topic at hand, perhaps I'm slow but what are you and SteveMB pondering? Why a scouting stack would set up an ambush/trap?
    The "pondering" line was a reference to the sound effect of the trap being sprung.

As for why they set a trap, they're stuck where they are until their turn starts, but they can fight in response to an attack. Maybe the trap gives them a combat bonus.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by zeropsm View Post

I think those are the Hard Rock golems, there's 4 of them on the unit count klog.

...And I think parson wanna make ansom believe he fell for the feint...

Can't wait to see what is waiting on the surface.
    Pretty sure they are metal golems, and they just made a mistake in their zeal to make another KISS reference. ;)

It's all good tho. Easily remedied w/ a line about Sizemore making more metal golems or something.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Very nice the way Sizemore looks as though he's thinking "Whoa, I didn't know I could do that." Crap golems go squish! That can't be all it takes though, I mean, crap is pretty hard to get rid of. It kinda lingers.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

The "pondering" line was a reference to the sound effect of the trap being sprung.
    I couldn't find anything about 'smirtch', and 'poit' seems to be a generic sound, but I LOL'ed when I discovered 'blort' has a history in internet culture:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blort

blort

Sound effect originally attributed (by myself) to tubgirl.com. Now used as a general word with many applications, such as an expression of disgust or an emphasis of something disgusting or displeasing.

Some Person: **** I just crapped my pants!!
    You: blort.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

For some reason, I imagine the lone Heavy Metal Golem as a tribute to Ozzy Osbourne. I foresee it doing something ugly to one of Vinnie's remaining scout units.

27. - Top - End - #87

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by fehler View Post
    The Marbits appeared to be digging, not just scouting. Is that important? Seems like an attacking force without knowledge of the layout would just keep to the already open areas, rather than cut new holes.
    The Marbit scouts are basically holed up in a dead end with only one entrance (which they have rigged with a trap) to wait out GK's turn. The crap golem finds them and engages at which point they drop the rock (Also note "Eeeyah" is probably a reference to the Ewok who cuts the rope triggering one of the log traps that kill an ATST in Return of the Jedi. He makes the same noise and we've had Marbit/Ewok tie-ins before) on said crap golem. Noting that this did not kill the golem and it is still advancing they begin to dig (presumably for safety? would have to be a Marbit ability since they can't move out of turn) at which point they find the KISS golems and get NWOBHM'd.

I'm betting the 'hide and make a trap' tactic is standard for all of Ansom's tunnel scouts and seeing them wiped so quickly will probably "confirm" to Ansom that GK's main force is in the tunnels...
    Something witty this place goes...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My read is that the "unit report" is a full listing of the side's forces (kind of like the Stupid Meal info Parson got last turn). As such, it's a "game bookkeeping" function independent of "in-game" communication.
    What I mean is that, during the Dwagon Doughnut attack, the Allies were celebrating because every engagement ended with the enemy withdrawing, which technically counts as a win. It was only when actual reports came in via hat that Ansom realized that they were dancing as their own siege weapons burned. My suggestion was that this was part of the natural magic scouts are supposed to use to send intel back to command, as in a quick news flash that "Stack X Engaged. Y Outcome." or somesuch. No details on the actual fight, just the outcome.

Now, however, Parson is using that against him. If the golems had failed to defeat the entire stack, then the response would be "Stack 1 Engaged. Allies withdrew.", when it could easily be "Stack 1 Engaged. Allies anhilated." This is important because the sweet part about overkill is that there's really no such thing as too much. If the Marbits had had the chance to withdraw, Ansom would know that the defenders are weakly distributed. If they get wiped out completely, however, Ansom wouldn't be able to tell the difference between some buffed golems and the assembled host of the Knights in Stanley's Service. For minimal cost (nominal, really, since it's pretty clear that Sizemore has never seen action before), he's confirmed for Ansom that there's a substantial force in the tunnels, which Ansom will conclude means that the topside defense is diminished. Unless he shifts strategies, Ansom is certainly going to be in for a surprise when he attacks the wall, especially with his siege assets at half strength.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

(And those are definitely hard rock golems. Metal golems probably wouldn't look so craggy.)
    The metal golem in Klog #9 looked craggy enough. And rock golems wouldn't look so metallic. It may be a surprise that metals are actually crystalline in structure.

Parson's unit roster lists five types of golem. We saw four of them in the Klog, and page 87 shows a crap golem which looks nothing like any of them, so they must be the soft, acid, hard, and metal golems respectively. It's pretty obvious which is which.

Those KISS golems look a lot more like the metal golem in the klog than the hard rock golem, in color, general form, and attitude. There's no resemblance to the rather dull-looking hard rock golem. There are a few explanations I can think of:

1. Bright blue-white lighting washing out the colors and making hard rock golems look like metal golems.
    2. A mistake; there were supposed to be 4 metal golems in the roster.
    3. They're hard rock golems and the pictures in the klog are misleading.
    4. They've been busy popping metal golems since the roster was written. I would expect metal golems to be expensive to produce, so this seems unlikely.
    5. The roster was incomplete for some reason.
    6. Artistic license; they're rock golems but look better this way.

I don't like any of those explanations, but things don't match up here and I'd like to know why.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    HA! We were wondering how long it would take for you guys to get the reference. Clearly, the KISS Army is alive and well here at GiantITP. Good going El_Chupacabra and slb.
    We should be giving out "No Prizes" for getting some of the more obscure stuff.
    All credits (and the "No Prizes" ) go to El_Chupacabra, I merely searched for a picture.

In any case I enjoy the obscure references as much as the comic itself. Thanks again for your art !
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-29 at 03:37 PM.