New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20] Playtesting Combat 2 - lvl 5 pvm

Atoya!

Xun fires off an earth blast at the wolf.

Takin' ten on the DC.
    tohit - (1d20+5)[23]
    damage - (2d6)[10]
    confirm - (1d20+5)[10]

I forget if earth blasts can crit, if not, then disregard the last roll.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jin leaps out from behind the column and lashes out against the bear

Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step to O7, full attack with both whips
    atk 1 (1d20+3)[21]
    confirm 1 (1d20+3)[20]
    dmg 1 (1d6+1)[4]
    atk 2 (1d20+3)[13]
    confirm 2 (1d20+3)[10]
    dmg 2 (2d6+1)[4]

This is under the understanding that firewhips count as light weapons. if not, take -2 more off of both the attack rolls
    --------------------------
    Marten, make a wiggle check
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

Gold contributer to the Avatar Project
    Firebender avatar by Shades of Gray

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

OOC (Sort of)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Atoya Running Bull

Running Bull sighs, frustrated, and politely excuses himself from the polar bear. He walks over to the center of the wooden bridge and pulls a large chalkboard with a wooden frame from the bag of holding sewn into the pocket of his elk-skin pants. Placing a pair of tortoise-shell reading glasses on his nose, Running Bull pulls some orange chalk from his pocket.

Now, let's begin the lesson. Wallace?"

Immediately, wolf #2 stands up and pulls the arrow out of its side with its teeth, then walks briskly over to the chalkboard and braces himself against it, holding it erect. The polar bear makes its way to the center of the southern half of the arena to get a better look at the goings on. Running Bull ensures that Wallace is holding the board securely and begins to write his name on the chalkboard in elegant calligraphy.

"You see, everyone, I have found it exceedingly frustrating that you all refer to me as 'Atoya'. Among my people, it is customary to first say one's clan name and then one's own name. And seeing as we don't have a written language, it has never become a problem with us. Of course, the Atoya clan is entirely fictional, made by the ever-accommodating Eighth Seraph in order to ensure that the Plains Indians of the American midwest are not insulted. Therefore, my name is Running Bull, inspired by a combination of Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse, two prominent American Indian leaders of the mid 19th century. When you call out 'Atoya', you are actually asking the entirety of my tribe for help, which I do not believe to be your intention. Now please, take this into account in the future."

With a final emphatic tap of the chalk on the chalkboard, Running Bull stuffs his object lessons back in his bag of holding.

"Thank you for the assistance, Wallace.

The wolf nods emphatically and walks over to the bloody arrow, which he immediately jams back into his side, then falls over limply, as before. Running Bull walks back to the position he had been before alongside the polar bear, who immediately begins crushing him with his forepaws again.

"Oh, hang on a moment. My glasses."

Quickly removing his glasses and placing them carefully into his dimensional pocket, Running Bull nods to the bear, who begins squeezing his bones painfully again.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-03-08 at 10:19 PM.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

4. - Top - End - #34

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    OOC (Sort of)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Atoya Running Bull

Running Bull sighs, frustrated, and, politely excusing himself from the polar bear, hewalks over to the center of the wooden bridge and pulls a large chalkboard on a wooden stand from the bag of holding sewn into the pocket of his elk-skin pants. Putting on a pair of tortoise-shell reading glasses, he pulls some orange chalk from his pocket.

Now, let's begin the lesson. Wallace?"

Immediately, wolf #2 stands up and pulls the arrow out of its side with its teeth, then walks briskly over to the chalkboard and braces himself against it, holding it erect. The polar bear makes its way to the center of the southern half of the arena to get a better look at the goings on. Running Bull ensures that Wallace is holding the board securely and begins to write his name on the chalkboard in elegant calligraphy.

"You see, everyone, I have found it exceedingly frustrating that you all refer to me as 'Atoya'. Among my people, it is customary to first say one's clan name and then one's own name. And seeing as we don't have a written language, it has never become a problem with us. Of course, the Atoya clan is entirely fictional, made by the ever-accommodating Eighth Seraph in order to ensure that the Plains Indians of the American midwest are not insulted. Therefore, my name is Running Bull, inspired by a combination of Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse, two prominent American Indian leaders of the mid 19th century. When you call out 'Atoya', you are actually asking the entirety of my tribe for help, which I do not believe to be your intention. Now please, take this into account in the future."

With a final emphatic tap of the chalk on the chalkboard, Running Bull stuffs his object lessons back in his bag of holding.

"Thank you for the assistance, Wallace.

The wolf nods emphatically and walks over to the bloody arrow, which he immediately jams back into his side, then falls over limply, as before. Running Bull walks back to the position he had been before alongside the polar bear, who immediately begins crushing him with his forepaws again.

"Oh, hang on a moment. My glasses."

Quickly removing his glasses and placing them carefully into his dimensional pocket, Running Bull nods to the bear, who begins squeezing his bones painfully again.
    Well, I got it right once...

totally feeling you on the whole name confusion thing, though.
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

5. - Top - End - #35

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, Eighth. I will admit ignorance to Native American naming conventions and didn't pick up on it from your posts, unfortunately.

*definitely didn't go back and edit his post to change the name *
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

6. - Top - End - #36

Round 5

Map – End of Round 5

Spoiler
    Show

Running Bull struggles desperately against the polar bears formidable strength, but is caught fast in the bear’s claws and unable to break free.

The wolf behind him, meanwhile, attempts to bite down on the unfortunate ranger, but the bear’s bulk gets in the way of his attack and his jaws are knocked to the side.

At it recovers from it attack, Xun’s Earth Blast catches the wolf in the side of the head, knocking it unconscious to the ground in a shower of dust and shards of rock.

The bear hugs Running Bull close to its body, attempting to crush the ranger.

Li Lao reaches out with his chi toward the stream, and sends shards of ice hurtling through the air toward the bear. He tries to use his momentum to swing another burst of water and ice at the bear, but his hurried motions are careless and the water simply splashes to the ground.

Shui Jin’s fire whips crack as they speed through the air. One of them strikes the bear in the back of the neck, and it turns its head toward the firebender with a whine of pain and fear. The second whip lashes out, but swings wide of the bear and strikes the nearby rock outcropping. Despite this miss, you can see the bear stagger slightly, and it has numerous deep wounds from sword, ice, and flame.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xun, you can critical with Earth Blasts, just FYI.

Running Bull, of you make a successful DC 26 grapple check, you avoid damage from the bear’s crushing paws. If you fail, you take 13 damage (unadjusted for DR).

Li Lao, you forgot your attack roll for the spikes. However, I rolled it for you, and you hit with a roll of 20. Unfortunately, you didn’t make the DC to quicken a Water Blast/Ice Shards combo. The DC for that maneuver would be 5 (Water Blast) + 10 (Ice Shards) +4 (combining seeds) +20 (quickening to a move action) = 39. Just missed it.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #37

Spoiler
    Show
    I never thought about quickening an attack action...

MORE shouts Jin, as he swings his whips again

Spoiler
    Show
    another full attack
    atk 1 (1d20+3)[23]
    confirm 1 (1d20+3)[12]
    dmg 1 (1d6+1)[2]
    atk 2 (1d20+3)[21]
    confirm 2 (1d20+3)[11]
    dmg2 (2d6+1)[8]
    Last edited by Pirate_King; 2008-03-09 at 05:57 PM.
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

IC: Li Lao reached into himself again and fired off two more ice blasts.

oc:
    Spoiler
    Show

let's do it right this time :P
    take ten on the check, for a 31 total on the first attack with a DC of 31 (10+5 for the seeds, +4 for combining, +4 +4 +4 for three increases on the damage of the ice shards).
    Attack roll: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (5d6)[18]
    Confirm: (1d20+5)[7]

now for the quickened check.
    10+20+4 to do a single increased quickened ice shards attack for a DC of 34.
    Check:(1d20+21)[40]
    Attack roll:(1d20+5)[14]
    Damage:(2d6)[8]
    Confirm: (1d20+5)[18].

9. - Top - End - #39

Atoya Running Bull

Running Bull is growing increasingly afraid, and angry. He struggles to break free from the bear's crushing arms, wanting nothing more than to unite his dao and use it to slice the bear's chest wide open.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here I go again.
    Grapple Check - (1d20+8)[23]

Also, if I somehow manage to break free, is there any way that I can use an attack action as part of this process? If so, here's my roll for my two-handed twin dao attack.

Attack Roll - (1d20+12)[15]
    Damage Roll - (1d6+12)[18]
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-03-11 at 07:36 PM.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Xun readies an action so that when Running Bull breaks free or is slain, he activates a catapult under the bear, towards the water.

11. - Top - End - #41

Round 7

In a feat of desperate strength, Running Bull manages to force the bear’s paws away from himself just enough to squirm free of the bear’s clutches and drop back to the ground. He lands softly on the balls of his feat and brings his dao together, ready for another strike.

As soon as he sees Running Bull fall to the ground, Xun sends another surge of his chi burrowing under the ground and bursting forth in a column aimed at the bear. Once again, he is frustrated when the bear moves quickly to the side and avoids the column.

With only Running Bull in reach, the bear lashes out again at the ranger. One of its paws collides with the side of Running Bull’s head, while its jaws bite down hard on Running Bull’s shoulder.

Meanwhile, Li Lao sends two blasts composed of a deadly mix of compressed water and shards of ice hurtling toward the bear in quick succession. The first flies over the bear’s head, but the second strikes it in the back and the bear staggers, severely wounded.

At almost the same time, Shui Jin brings his fire whips streaking toward the bear, connecting solidly both times. The combination of the ice and the fire overwhelms the bear’s failing strength, and it collapses to the ground, unconscious.

The fight is over.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Running Bull, breaking a grapple is an attack action, and you don’t have more than one attack granted by your BAB.

Running Bull takes 12 damage from the claw and 12 damage from the bite (both unadjusted).

Nice work everyone on the battle. I’m really pleased with how everything went, despite a few hiccups along the way. It seems like nothing was too overpowered, and the new classes acquitted themselves well in this battle. Feel free/encouraged to post any comments/concerns/issues that this battle brought to light over in the playtesting analysis thread (linked in the project hub).

Thanks a lot for playing. I enjoyed the combat thoroughly, and I hope you did too.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew