New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Through the Portal

Through The Portal
    The Zephyr Side Briefing

You find yourselves gathered as a group for the first time on the grassy hill at the portal site for your official mission briefing. You aren’t actually expected to pass through until tomorrow morning, but the powers that be though it best for you to see the portal before hand. The gateway is marginally impressive, a hollow in the ground paved with smooth shaped stone. A few inches above this is a bronze hoop eight feet across which is studded with two rows of sparkling crystals focused inward toward a faint patch of transparent blue.
    “The bluish patch we believe to be a bit of sky transmitted through the rift,” A human named Erik Flaimbrow explains as he continues to give a bland description of how the portal was found and the rift stabilizer constructed. The only important thing he’s said so far is that the bronze stabilizer is not actually active, and activates only at specific times to make the portal guarding easier.

Erik is some aristocrat who is the who was appointed Senior Director of Portal Exploration partly for his talents, but mostly because of politics. He views all of you as expendable assets of a human/elf empire, but at least he’s somewhat tactful about it. The same can’t be said for Tharivol, an Elven Arcane Loremaster professor who’s famous for both his theoretical work and arrogance. He cares little for other races, and actively despises the ‘monstrous’ ones. He is absolutely delighted that a group of your racial makeup has the privilege of doing the dangerous work. The area is also filled with numerous guards, workers, and the odd fire-giant, but the only other important individual is the gnome wizard forman named Roondar who was in charge of the portal stabilizer's construction.

Eventual Erik, to both the relief of you and an impatient looking Tharivol, moves back to the important stuff after all the commemorations and his spill on your valor for volunteering as the 3rd Rain Hill Slope Portal Exploratory Force.
    “Tomorrow you will be entering the portal and investigating the far side. For security we will only activate the portal for two hours at a time every five days. We’ve already sent through 3 rats, 2 dogs, a donkey, 3 birds, and two other survey parties. From these initial excursion and other tests we know the portal works, the environment at the far side is habitable, that time there appears to match our own, and also that there are serious unknown dangerous. Any questions?”

“Yeh, now just have fun and try not to die to the unknown dangers” Tharivol adds with a bright smile and a nasty chuckle. “Only one of the birds has come back, and we’ve invested too much in the portal to write it off.”

“You didn’t have to tell them that,” Erik groans softly. Louder he adds: “That’s all true, but the bird came back in perfect health. You’re all practically heros, you’ll do fine. Now any questions?”

Tharivol continues to chuckle and adds: “Yah, that’s right. We just need our tame monsters to face the portal’s monsters.” Erik elbows him but otherwise ignores this remark as he waits for your response.

Sirrush:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your enchanted weapons are currently being held by Cobalt, a massive fire giant standing about 20 feet behind you. Cobalt has been assigned to ‘assist’ you with ‘social rehabilitation.’ For all practical purposes he is your probation officer, responsible both for protecting society from you and for ensuring that you go through the gaping maw of the portal.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-04 at 11:38 PM.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Through the Portal

Graaf-Niig

Arrogant arcanist. Studying that much damaged his head. "What were the other two survey parties made up of? Why do you think we will survive where they did not? I won't die pointlessly."
    Last edited by J-H; 2008-03-05 at 08:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor sits on the grass looking like an old shabby man, he gives the appearance of not being very interested in what is being said, though he listens intently.

Spoiler
    Show

Alanor detect thoughts on Erik, he might know more than he is letting on....
    DC 15 (Charisma based)
    Last edited by JettWilderbeast; 2008-03-05 at 09:55 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oggy didn't like either of the two elves very much. It was rather interesting how different some elves could be. He crossed his arms across his broad, fur-covered chest. He was already quite sure he was going to die on the other side. Not that it would matter much in the long run. No, he was going across the portal not to become a hero. He was going there to go out in a blaze of glory. Maybe, he hoped, eventually, tales of his exploits would reach Irlym, and give her some modicum of comfort. He tapped his hoof against his other hoof to loose some clinging dirt from it. "I can't say you two've left me with any lingering questions. If that's all we have for a briefing, are we dismissed? I would rather get on with something vaguely entertaining." He asked, shifting to his other hoof and repeating the tapping motion.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

"Perhaps the others did not return because they were taken in by the idyllic lifestyle and fabulous riches of life that lie upon the other side.", observes Amilia while gently caressing the edge of the gateway. "I think it's quite generous and progressive of you to give minorities such wonderful opportunities." She smiles sincerely at Tharivol. Without the slightest hint of sarcasm, she continues, "Your continued kind treatment before our departure will undoubtedly leave us further indebted to the Alliance, which we shall repay by returning with an account of the riches on the far side."

Amilia pauses with a smile for a moment to make eye contact with Erik, Tharivol, and Roondar, then continues, "Now. Is there any evidence of actual danger beyond the portal?" Then, looking particularly at Roondar, "What more is known about the portal and what lies beyond?"

Spoiler
    Show

What's the name of the "multi-race confederacy" / "human/elf empire"? I wrote "the Alliance" above, but Amilia uses whatever the actual name is instead.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian
    Orain was sitting on the grass in front of the portal. "they are not being at all generous. To them we are just monsters that need to be gotten rid of." That was obviously directed towards Amilia. He then turned to Eric saying. "When did the other two survey parties leave, and when is this briefing going to be over? It was obvious that Orian was anxious to go.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Amilia briefly shoots Orian a nasty look, then regains her composure. "Of course they see us as monsters. We are monsters." Emphasizing the point, Amilia hops into the air and for a moment grins broadly, revealing her fangs. "Which I'm sure makes working with us difficult (glares at Orian, then returns to smiling), and we should be that much more thankful for this opportunity and for any help they provide that will contribute to our success and the glory of the Alliance" While speaking, Amilia casually flutters her way next to Orian.

Spoiler
    Show

If Orian begins to say anything else antagonistic, Amilia pretends there was a sudden gust of wind and topples onto Orian.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ESave - (1d20+6)[19]

((Alanor:
    Erik's thoughts remain stubbornly locked away from detection.))
    ---------------------

The human (Erik) smiles and says: "Of course you'll survive. You're all skilled champions easily capable of triumphing over mundane dangers are you not?"

"Unlike those useless pansies we've sent through. They were just miserable little..." the elf begins when Erik interrupts. "Enough talk, a picture's worth a thousand words, Roondar please show them what's gone through." "Hmph, why I could show you what those ugly little..." "Of course! I have just the spell!" The gnome interjects, "No offense but..." "But we don't want to burden a mage or your exceptional skill with such a simple task." Erik smoothly finishes. "You, you may leave if you wish. I'd hate to waste your time with answering these last few trivial details."

Tharivol replies with another of his nasty chuckles. "l Oh, no, I wouldn't miss this for anything. In fact... "
    Ahem, Roondar interrupts as he finishes casting the spell, and Erik, managing too not look too relieved for the interruption, hushes the elf and lets the gnome speak.
    "Now we have no evidence that anything dangerous exists, in fact the return of that hawk suggests that the far side is perfectly safe.

The group on the right went through when we first built the portal 3 months back to examine the far side. They never returned. Next we sent through a variety of animals. As I said, the hawk came back. Then last month we sent through the group on the left. They didn't come back either.

From this, we have concluded that the environment is perfectly survivable, but has dangers, possibly dangerous flora and/or fauna. So, rather than wasting lives we've brought in a group of diverse minor heros from across the land.

"So you'll be fine, if anything the group of you is overkill on our part."

"Yah, we really only need one surviver to tell us what's on the far side, and my money says three of you will make it back."

The group on the right consist of five young goblins (the small variety) lightly armed and carrying backpacks.

The group on the left consists of three dwarf warriors, a half-elf bowman, and a human. The group is in battle gear: everyone is carrying martial weapons and clad in scale armor, except for the human who is in breast plate and a magic sword. Everyone has either two-handed weapons or shields.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-05 at 04:41 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor now taking a more keen interest stands and looks closely at the goblins and dwarfs images.
    I may have to remember this.... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and knowledge...

Straightening up, Alanor looks at Tharivol for a few seconds, Alanor is gaining a clear dislike for Tharivol. Before anyone really knows whats happening, Alanor changes appearance into Tharivol only Alanor's version is covered in bruises and looks incredibly dishevelled.
    If I were you, I'd treat us with a little more respect. I'd hate anything to happen to you when we.... return.

As he says this Alanor trys to detect Tharivols thoughts.

Spoiler
    Show

DC 15

10. - Top - End - #10

Oggy smirked. "So what's that say about your men, when a mere hawk fares better than a squad of armed and equipped soldiers of your so-called 'superior' races?" He asked wryly. He knew the elf arcanist's sort of person. All barbs and derision, until you called their superiority into question. Then it was barely-concealed rage. The reddish starburst on his forehead tingled. It always did that when he started to feel smug. He liked it. "So much for superiority. The only thing you humankin have going for you is you breed like rats." He added, pointedly comparing the 'civilized' races to rodents.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    "Erik, given that we are a "better choice" than the others you've sent through, perhaps you will be providing some additional equipment and items to ensure that you don't waste time getting yet another group to go out if we fail due to being under-equippped? A device to locate the portal from a distance while on the other side could be most useful."

The more we know about how we get there, the better our chances of getting back. Graaf-Niig pulls Roondar aside and begins to quiz him on the technical details of how the stabilizer works, how the portal was located in the first place, and any other information that may be known about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Relevant Skills: Diplomacy +4
    Gather Information+4
    Knowlege (Arcana) +12
    Knowledge (Planes) +5
    Spellcraft +13

He also casts Detect Magic as a way of verifying what he's learned, and to start to get an idea of how the flow of energy is so manipulated.

As an afterthought, he also casts Mage Armor on himself... just in case, just to start getting in the habit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    +4 ac -1 already on bracers = 20 AC until spell expires (8 hrs)
    spells cast: lv0-1
    lv1-1
    Last edited by J-H; 2008-03-06 at 08:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Listening to the outbursts from Alanor and Oggy, Amilia takes a long sigh and resigns herself to the fact that diplomacy is clearly not this groups' strong suit. Maybe I can grab hold of Erik, Tharivol, or Roondar later, when these huge egos aren't getting in the way. Graaf-Niig, at least, appears to have his head on straight. Amilia decides to quietly listen and floats to the ground. She takes the time to study each of her new companions in detail.

Amilia uses Detect Good, Detect Evil, Detect Law, and Detect Chaos in sequence to get a feeling for her companions, as well as Cobalt, Erik, Tharivol, and Roondar. She also uses Detect Thoughts to gauge the intelligence of each.

Spoiler
    Show

If Detect Thoughts is undetectable even on a failed save (see question in OOC thread), she also pokes into the minds of Cobalt, Erik, Tharivol, and/or Roondar whenever they might be thinking something INTERESTING, such as when someone asks an interesting question about the portal or the earlier parties. Or even if they're staring off into space. She doesn't bother to poke around if someone is in a heated debate about the merits of the Alliance or tensions between species. Will DC 18. Duration 8 minutes.

If in this universe someone notices when Detect Thoughts fails, she doesn't poke into anyone's head at all. She just uses it to assess intelligence.
    Last edited by Agthorr; 2008-03-05 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added DC information for Detect Thoughts

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Barag Swiftpaw

Barag snarls slightly, his top lip curling from teeth that appear smaller than he is used to.

"You send a pack of men and elves, hah? They die? You send animals now- not look good for you city-people if we come back alive!"
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Alanor
    Spoiler
    Show
    NPC will saves
    Tharivol - (1d20+8)[27]
    Roondar - (1d20+7)[18]
    I should have rolled for everyone the first time now that I read the description... oh well.

Amilia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Erik: LN, Roondar: NG, Tharivol: CN
    Will saves:
    Erik - (1d20+6)[16]
    Roondar - (1d20+7)[25]
    Tharivol - (1d20+8)[18]
    So Erik's thoughts are open to you... read them by highlighting the white spaces.

"You insolent maggot fodder! You want my respect!? I'll Feed you my respect you, you... Just take Thi..." He sputters, his hand reaching for a material component pouch when Erik, recognizing what was about to happen, snatches the hand away.
    Crap! My career will be ruined if I can't get those beasts through the portal to sort the problems out! Of course their unfriendly, they're monsters! Why does this enlightened idiot have to deliberately provoke them?
    "No! No smiting! They have to be alive to go through, or would you rather go through yourself?"
    *sight* Of course, it would help if these things would at least grovel just a bit for this guy's ego... the pixie seemed to get the idea at least.
    "Sir, you can dance on their grave later, but not if you personally kill them."
    I know they have ego's too but... but if I could play to everyone's ego...
    "Tharivol, look, why don't you leave now and start preparing a speech where you thank the survivors for their risk and consul them on their looses?" Erik gently says giving the elf a gentle shove away from the group. "Why don't you get some fresh air far away from these beasts to think about it, hmm?"
    Tharivol considers this for a moment as he calms. "Consul them on their losses, He, I'd love to do that. Just make sure these maggots know their place!" With another of his chuckles he swaggers off.

HA! He's gone at last! Maybe I can salvage the situation.
    Erik smiles fantly as he leaves, then turning back to eveyone else he says: "Orientation Dismissed Cobolt, Roondar, escort any of our brave volunteers back to the lodge who are done here."

Graaf-Niig
    Spoiler
    Show

((Part of your starting wealth was a recruitment bonus. Nothing else is offered))
    Roondar is happy to talk with you.
    How it was fond: The blue patch is an anomaly that was discovered about 50 years ago by... someone.

What it is: The micro rift is a astrial-like fold, a demi-plane itself almost, that connects only two point. It originates from a portal, beacon, or natural focus at the far end, and the trailing end of it's energies rests in the jumbled planer fold of the Zephyr Recess.

What the stabilizer does: The stabilizer has two functions: 1) to anchor this end of the rift to prevent it from continuing to drift, and 2) to stretch the rift into a shape something can travel through.

How it works: The portal, even when 'inactive' provides an attractive field that stretches the rift into focus and holds its location steady. When active, the stabilizer projects a wall of force behind the rift and stretches the rift mouth up against this backing. This widening and shortening of the rift allows material objects to pass through. Spells can not pass unless anchored to a material object. Thus, all scryings of the far side have failed. A small construct was once sent through, but that hasn't returned either.

They thought at first that it opened at a great hight since only a bird ever came back, but the human in the second party was equipped with winged boots and a ring of feather fall, and he hasn't come back either.

Amilia
    Spoiler
    Show

Erik walks toward you.
    Now I get to kiss our volunteers' egos. *grimace* Thats politics for you.
    "Amilia was it?" He asks with a small bow. "I was pleased that you are eager to go through the portal, and I must apologize for the manors of Tharivol. I'm afraid that that elf has spent so much time in research and magic weapon development that he believes the confederacy is indebted to him. Given that a hawk went through and back I know you can do the same, but it would be lovely if you could help your companions survive the unknown too. I find it delightful to contemplate Tharivol eating his words tomorrow, don't you agree?"
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-06 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added dialoge

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Erik
    Spoiler
    Show

Amilia curtsies, delighted to be speaking with someone who understands the practical importance of treating others with respect. "I suspect I regret the rash words of my compatriots as much as you regret those of Tharivol. Monsters, elves, and humans all have an interest in the success of this mission, and it's a shame to let petty differences stand in the way. I am saddened that the others inflamed Tharivol. As a Loremaster, I imagine his extensive knowledge of arcane lore might contain some useful insights about the portal and our mission, if he could be coaxed to share them. I fear this exchange has thoroughly poisoned against us, however. I do wonder, though, if he might be willing to share his knowledge of the challenges ahead with someone sympathetic to his prejudice? I can imagine him sharing a drink with someone, someone who eggs him on with their interest in all of the horrible things that await this group of monstrous misfits, and all of the precautions they might take but could never possibly think of." Amilia smiles and winks, while watching Erik's thoughts to see if he agrees that the Loremaster might have useful knowledge, and to see if he picks up on her not-entirely-subtle suggestion. If Erik himself knows anything about the challenges ahead and any precautions they might take, she naturally pays close attention to that as well.

Having made her suggestion, she continues immediately on to answer to Erik's question, "I will certainly do everything within my power to ensure each of us returns safely. I'm afraid I'm a little puzzled about some of the details of our mission--sometimes I'm a little dim-witted that way. Are we to step through the portal and return immediately? Or are we to return for the next two-hour window five days hence? Also, if only a hawk has returned, how do we know that the other side is hospitable?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor

Alanor transforms back into the old human and chuckles inwardly to himself, it's fun to play mind games, it's the way of the doppelganger, well it is for people you don't like.
    Alanor looks around for Cobolt and Roondar, upon reaching Roondar he strikes up a casual but meaningful conversation;
    Roondar is it? It was interesting to see the parties that were sent through before us, do you think it would be possible to supply away of seeing these images without you when we are through the portal?

17. - Top - End - #17

Barag Swiftpaw

Barag says nothing, but sniffs the air, his preternaturally keen nose picking up the scents of the area in case he needs to recognise it later.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Anything particular I notice?

EDIT: Survival check, just in case: [roll]1d20+11[/roll]
    Last edited by MorkaisChosen; 2008-03-06 at 01:36 PM.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian
    Orian asks Eric. "Is there any where that I can summon a skeleton? It is so that I will have all of my spells avalible to me when we go through."

Spoiler
    Show
    Will I need to buy black onyx gems? If so orian also asks about that.

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show
    That roll didn't work, let's do it properly:

(1d20)[11]

Add the +11 Survival modifier to that... Gives 22
    Last edited by MorkaisChosen; 2008-03-06 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Fixing tags, also added numbers.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian, Amillia, and anyone else speaking with Erik
    I wish I could trust him even then...
    "Ah, part of the problem is that Tharivol is as ignorant as the rest of us. His arts have failed him, and he wouldn't dare go in person even if the confederacy let him. He knows it connects to either a demi-plane, probably a large one, a disjoined planer region like the Zephyr Recess, but beyond that?"
    Erik shrugs hopelessly.

Didn't I make it clear that they were too... opps, I didn't did I?
    "Initially, yes. Step in, take a few minutes to look around, then pop back to tell us what is on the far side. Then we'd like you to pop back over and spend the next five days looking for traces of the lost expeditions, checking for native societies, and clearing a relatively safe area around the exit."

"As for habitation, when the portal is active we can see a blue sky and green grassy fields through it." Sort of "Also, as I said before, the hawk spend a minute or so on the far side and returned in perfect health. That tells us there is an atmosphere that isn't poisoned, blistering hot, freezing cold, or coursing with negative energy. Habitable." Of course we wont be 100% certain until you all go through but I can't say that.

"At first we thought that this meant the exit was suspend in the sky, so in the second expedition we included a man equipped with a ring of feather fall and winged boots. Since he hasn't come back either we aren't so sure that was the problem. Of course, even if it is part of the problem you will still have no trouble returning."
    He says encouragingly. My career is on the line here, You'd better have no trouble returning.

Turning to Orian he adds trying not to frown:
    "I think we have some onyx gems we could sell you, but it would be better if you found a corpse on the far side. Grave robing is illegal here, and finding a corpse suitable for your wishes could be expensive."

Everyone with Cobalt the fire giant guard and Roondar
    [spoiler]"It would be expensive, but I could probably have something ready five days hence if you really want that", Roondar explains to Alanor, "but that was just a generic depiction of the sort of individuals who went through. A goblin surveyor journeyman with four young inexperienced goblins eager for adventure in the first group, three veteran, ok maybe just bloodied and experienced, dwarfs and a half-elf bowman led by a minor human noble who had had some experience as a squadron commander in battle and was looking for fame in the second. I think I got the half-elf right, but the rest were just generic impression and fragmented memories."

Barag: You smell nothing that you haven't seen.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-06 at 03:45 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia is taken off-guard by Orian's question--and by Erik's response. He's Good, he wants to animate the dead, and Erik takes it completely in stride. Even Erik's thoughts reveal nothing unusual. What have I gotten myself into? I'm not one to be squeamish, but the walking dead give me the heebie-jeebies. Maybe Orian has some kind of magic that alters his aura. That might turn out handy. But he appears to be a Gold-Dragon/Assimar hybrid. How much more GOOD can you get?

Putting her confusion aside, Amilia turns to Erik and asks, "Who discovered the rift originally, anyway?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Mulling over Roondar's words he comes backs with;
    Ok, How about we just do the half elf, lets not mess around we both know what I am, it could prove useful as I may need to be a perfect match. I'm only trying to to help the best I can.

Truefully Alanor doesn't give a crap about the Portal or what was beyond it, it was people's reaction to it, their responses and their actions, Alanor longed to be a master of the races that shunned and mocked him. Playing with and learning minds and psyche were a doppelganger's inate desire.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig

To Alanor, as a side conversation
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's a pretty useful skill. If the other side is being watched, you will be more effective as an infiltrator if they think there are fewer of us than they really are. From talking to Roondar, any active spells will still be effective after we pass through the portal. If I make you Invisible before we go through, anyone waiting for us will not miss you if we are captured. I plan to go through invisible so that I have a better chance of surviving any immediate ambushes.
    Last edited by J-H; 2008-03-06 at 08:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Oggy smirked to himself. Just how he'd predicted. This other guy seemed a little better though. The gnome seemed the best of all three, but gnomes were only a few steps away from fey, so it was to be expected. "Well, that takes care of him." HE commented, before turning to Erik. "I have no questions for you. Can I go now?" He asked, tersely. The elf's commentary had made him a little less agreeable than usual.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Barag Swiftpaw

Still saying nothing, Barag shifts to hybrid form, sharpening his already impressive senses further, and sniffs interestedly at the edge of the portal.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agthorr View Post
    "Who discovered the rift originally, anyway?"

A necromancer! I guess shouldn't be surprised with the recruiters draging out society's dredges, I wonder what this pixie is doing with them, she is a pixie isn't she? Meh, doesn't matter. Time to kiss fairy butt good buy and babysit pointy ears. I can't wait to get this through that portal.

Erik pauses thoughtfully momentarily somewhat distracted by Orian's odd request, and then turning to point at the receding figures of Roondar and company says: "I'm not sure who discovered the rift: Tharivol probably knows, but Roondar is might also know and he would probably be much more helpful. Why don't you ask him on your way back to the lodge?"

Brag: You smell nothing of the portal or the far side, just the traces of gnome and human who have been inspecting the portal in the past few days.

The meeting is adjourned. Roondar, a firegiant, and a couple human guards are escorting the group back to the lodge where the group can talk among itself over a hot meal, make last minute purchases at the trading post, and of course sleep. For the moment Eric remain at the portal site answering any questions of him.

Edit: Speaking to Alanor Roondar replies: "Hmmm sure thing. I have a cousin who does paintings, he could get something small done in the next five days. I'm not sure what the cost would be, but it couldn't be more than 50 gp at the most, possibly as little as 5. If you want a simple 1/day illusion projecter of the elf I could make that myself, but it would be about... um... 350 gp."
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-07 at 09:36 AM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor looks over to Graaf-Niig while waiting for a response from Roondar and whispers back;

Spoiler
    Show

Ha yes it can be.... useful. I don't think we've properly met, I'm Alanor and yes, I think I may have to join you in invisibility, after all, if I have to rescue you all at some point it would be best that whatever is through there doesn't know I'm there!
    Last edited by JettWilderbeast; 2008-03-07 at 09:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sensing that Erik tires of this conversation, Amilia bids him adieu, curtsies, and hops into the air to catch up with Roondar and the others. Smiling at gnome, she inquires, "Master Roondar, the portal is quite an impressive piece of work. I do hope the Alliance is compensating you well for your efforts." As they walk the rest of the way back to the lodge, she chats him up, inquiring about his work on the portal, the story of the discovery of the portal, how he came to work on it, how long the construction has taken, precautions he might take if HE were going through the portal, what he expects might be on the other side, etc. She strikes a casual tone, as if interested primarily in the work of the little gnome.

29. - Top - End - #29

Barag shifts back to his half-elf form and follows the others.

These furless ones talk too much..., he thinks to himself.

30. - Top - End - #30

Oggy cast his critical eye over the rest of the travelers as they walked. The pixie seemed to know what she was doing, but was too focused on information and making 'connections' than anything else. It seemed she was best suited for that, though. She would be good at surviving, but not much more than that. Stealth was most fitting for her. However, her seeming friendliness with humankin might be more than mere seeming. The others hadn't shown much in the way of talents, apart from the one who'd asked about skeletons, and the shapeshifters, though the latter two were more a function of race than capability. He'd have to keep his eyes open.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show