New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Through the Portal

Amilia

Over dinner, Amilia suggests that each member of the party take turns introducing themselves and explaining any special talents that might be useful on the coming mission.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Decided to post this without waiting to see the gnome's response, as I think the others are getting bored with all the pixie's yammering.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor accepts the 350gp charge for the illusion projector saying he will pay upon arrival of the projector the next morning.

At dinner Alanor agrees that it would be good to know each member of the team, trust is important after all.
    Alanor stands at the dinner table and introduces himself;
    I am Alanor. I am a doppelganger, I am someone who can change my appearance. As he says this he transforms into Roondar. This ability is... useful for making my way in life, though this makes people wary of me however please do not fear me misleading any of you. We are in this together becuase of one particular person. Alanor transforms to Tharivol. I am a trained thief, I can open doors and find traps, though I prefer to make people choose to believe me through my given talents, for instance, I have agreed to pay Roondar 350gp for a magic trinket tommorow morning, I will stay out the back of our Lodge until he arrives, at which point I will ask that you fetch me from the back. I plan to pay nothing for this trinket.
    Alanor smiles genialy at his comrades before transforming back into his natural form of grey skin and large head.
    I also am capable of reading your minds provided you grant me access, I will not do this often, only in tight spots, if you have anything you wish me to hear, open your mind and just say it in your head and I will hear as you grant me access. Just hope I am listening.
    Alanor sits down and takes a long sip from his wine.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oggy stood, setting down the fork that had been until moments ago skewering leafy greens and bringing them to his mouth. HE paused a moment to swallow the last of the food in his mouth.
    "My name is Oggy." He began. "I am a fey, and a huntsman. In the forests, if you can see me, it's because I let you. If you hear me coming, then you know you're not my target. I can spot anything within half a league, and I can hear an owl swooping for the kill. My bow and my horns are more than enough to put any foe to rest. What can even hit me in the first place heals in an instant, apart from cold iron wounds. My pipes can seduce, lull one to sleep, or even terrify my foes. I served for years in the defense against the demonic hordes, and at the end of it all, I was betrayed by the very men we're working for, so you'll have to excuse my ill temper of late. I'll say no more on that matter, however." He said, before sitting down once more and returning to his salad.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2008-03-07 at 06:38 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian stands and says. "My name is Orian. I am a gold half-dragon Aasimar who is a cleric. Try not to upset me. I see less of a point for rules then my dragon kin and I do not feel obligated to follow other's rulles. Then he sat down.

[spoiler]I will asume that I have bought the gems and wrighting stuff.[/spoier]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig

Graaf-Niig leans back in his chair, tilting it slightly, and laces his fingers in front of him. I am Graaf-Niig, a sorceror of some rank among the hobgoblin people. I have seen many battles both as a follower and as a leader, and prevailed in all of them. While I cannot do as wide of a variety of things as the" *spits to the side* "elf, what I do I do well and frequently. I have the power to make things or people invisible, and plan to do this both for myself and" *gesturing* "Alanor tomorrow. If we are observed, we preserve our doppleganger as a potential rescuer, and it keeps any ambush from instantly targeting me. Due to the nature of my powers, I am much less well-armored than most of the rest of you. I am quick and tough, but physical combat is not what I am best it. That is what others and summoned creatures are for."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

When it reaches her turn to introduce herself, Amilia hops into the air, fluttering above her seat. "I am Amilia, and as you can see (she flutters her wings) I am pixie. Or rather my mother was pixie." She pauses to examine her claws the way a human woman might examine her nails. "A knowledge wizard once told me that my father must have been a green dragon."

"In combat, my specialty is archery, and I pack of variety of arrows for every possible occasion." She reaches into her quiver, pulls a fistful of arrows half-way out, then let's them fall back into place. Each arrow looks slightly different, and one glows as brightly as a lamp.

Amilia continues, "My pixie heritage affords me a few minor magical talents. Like Master Graaf-Niig, I have the power to become invisible." Suddenly, she is gone, but her disembodied voice chuckles, "Although, I would be surprised if he can do this." Suddenly, she is again visible to the eyes, performing a pirouette on the back of her chair while strobing rapidly between visible and invisible.

Giggling and returning to full visibility, she explains, "However, unlike Master Graaf-Niig, I cannot directly see the invisible. Like Master Alanor, I, too, possess the ability to peer into the minds of others, but only for a few minutes each day. As I have a strong regard for the privacy of others, and an especially strong regard for the privacy of others with magic weapons, (she winks and grins at everyone present) I don't often use this ability." Then, making sure to make brief eye contact with Alanor, "When I was growing up, I recall a case of one pixie who abused this power to enter the minds of his companions without their consent. Eventually, he was discovered, and dealt with most harshly. In fact, although this is not well known, the penalty for reading the mind of a pixie without her consent is ritual disembowelment." She shudders, and thinks to herself, "I hope Alanor doesn't see that as a challenge. I'm just telling it like it is."

"That said, being able to sense the presence of nearby minds, without invading them, is certainly useful for keeping track of your invisible friends!"

Turning to Orian, she says, "I also have some innate resistance to spells--even healing spells cast by a friend." She frowns with regret. "I can lower my resistance, but only with focused concentration and it leaves me vulnerable to unfriendly spells."

"My other magical talents are probably not worth enumerating. I would caution you (as she makes eye contact with the Satyr) that I have heard the craziest stories about the magic of pixies and I strongly caution you not to believe any of them that you have not seen with your own eyes. Actually, one of our powers is to create powerful illusions, so you probably shouldn't trust your eyes either." She giggles and adds, "If possible, I'll say `Octopus' before I conjure an illusion so that you know to expect the unexpected". She winks.

"And finally, as I'm sure you've already guessed, I have the gift of the gab!" Amilia grins wildly, fangs showing, quite amused with herself.

--

After everyone has had a chance to introduce themselves, say whatever else they wish to say, and the meal is concluded... as everyone files out of the dining hall, she chimes in, "Incidentally, I suggest everyone bring a bow and some arrows. Even if it's not your weapon-of-choice, I'm not the only thing out there that can fly..."

Afterward, Amilia stops by the Trading Post for some choice last-minute purchases, then retires to her room where she gets her 2 hours of required sleep and spends the remainder of the evening reading a racy romance novel to keep her mind off the bleak chances of getting through this mission alive.
    Last edited by Agthorr; 2008-03-08 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Fixed typographical error

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

When Barag's turn to speak comes, he seems uncomfortable, and says, "I am Barag. I run with the wolf-pack, I am hunter and fighter. I take away the waiting teeth the men and elves leave for us, I track prey across many leagues, I bring it down with swift blows."
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig

If the portal exit is in an exposed location, we will need to locate and move to someplace less exposed immediately. We can then plan our scouting from there, once we know what we are looking at.

If anyone has extra money, some additional combat scrolls could potentially be useful on the far side. I also would like to point out that I will need a clear line of sight to employ Lightning against a group of enemies.

If there are no further thoughts, I will go to bed.

9. - Top - End - #39

Oggy stayed silent for a time, before departing from the table. He had no money, so there was no point in shopping around. He only had the clothes on his back and the weapons in his quiver, but that was more than enough for him to do his job. He wanted to just go to bed or get drunk. This whole place made him angry. He knew he wouldn't be able to go to sleep this angry, and if he got drunk he wouldn't be in good form for the following day's troubles, not to mention what trouble he'd get in while dunk. Getting drunk for a satyr is much harder to do, but a lot more spectacular to see. And getting drunk while angry never ended well, especially when the drunkard in question is more than capable of taking on four or five average people and coming out on top, using only his head. He clomped up the stairs to his room, went in a carefully clos the door behind himself. Drawing forth the golden-fletched arrow from his bag, peling back th soft swaddling of cloth he kept it in, and setting it on the floor before him, reverently. He sat, and stared at it.
    Irlym... I miss you. I wish you were here. I'm going to a new world tomorrow. I don't know if I'll live. I don't even know if I care anymore. He thought at the arrow, as though it could tell his beloved his thoughts. You always knew how to cheer me up in times like this. Of course, with you around I probably wouldn't be like this in the first place. He added, before shaking his head. Irlym, I've made up my mind. I'm going to survive tomorrow. I have to survive. After all, if I die, who will kill that bastard who did this to us? He finished, before wrapping the arrow up ad laying softly in the bed, settign his things on the bedside table. he took off his ring and stowed it in his bag. He wanted to be away from reality for as long as he could be, right now.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Seeing the others going off to sleep, Barag also leaves the rest of the group. Strangely, you see him shifting to wolf form as he slinks away, before curling up in a warm corner and shutting his intelligent yellow eyes.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor sits at the table awhile thinking to himself;
    <I do not belong here. I did nothing to hurt these people yet they send me to certain Death. I will survive. I will come back. I will kill that incompetent elf racist.>
    Looking round he sees everyone starting to head to bed and he reflects on the group of misfits he has been placed with;
    <Well then a regular bunch of misfits, and I fit perfectly. Perhaps I have found my place with these people.... We shall see.>

Alanor stands from the table and beckons a good night sleep to everyone;
    Good Night People, Sleep well for we will undoubtedly need it! Remember fetch me from my room in the morning when Roondar arrives! I do not feel like paying 350 gold to him!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian

Orian leaves for bed without saying anything.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

An assorted mix of human and kobold servants great you the next morning with a respectable breakfast of almost the same quality as the previous day’s dinner (comparable to that served at a good bed and breakfast inn). The one big difference between then and now is that the elven soldiers today are encouraging you to eat quickly, or better yet grab food to eat on the run. The servants also tentatively try to wake any who attempt to sleep past the sun’s rising. There is a definite, if somewhat gentle and polite, push to get all of you to accompany Roondar to the portal for your deployment.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    As Alanor is rudely awoken by the guards he realises his plan to cheat Roondar may not work... Still worth a shot....
    Alanor eats his breakfast quickly kean to get going.
    As he steps outside he looks around trying to see who is round him and where Roondar and more importantly for his plan, where Tharivol is...
    (1d20+3)[8]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Amilia comes to breakfast carrying a small sack. She addresses the group, "Good morning, my fellows! Using the last of my precious funds, last evening I purchased a small gift for each of you. Although they are but small tokens, it is my hope that they shall increase our chances of success.

For Orain, I present this Wand of Cure Light Wounds, so that you may continue to use your healing abilities even when your spells are exhausted.

For Graaf-Niig, I give a scroll of identify, in case we encounter a puzzling magic item of some kind.

Alanor and Oggy, I present each of you a masterwork buckler. I think you will find them so small and light as to be unburdensome, while providing a small amount of extra protection.

For Barag, I give a smokestick and a tanglefoot bag, in case you need to escape an unpleasant situation so that we may regroup and attack as a pack.
    "

The small sack now empty, Amilia adds "By the way, did everyone manage to acquire a ranged weapon?"

After breakfast, Amilia is ready to follow Roondar to the portal.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Oggy awoke slowly at the nervous urgings of a kobold servant. His dreams had been troubling and uncomfortable, though he was unsure as to what, specifically, they had been. He slipped on his ring and instantly felt his tiredness and hunger slip away. He clomped down the stairs just in time to hear Amilia distributing the gifts. He smiled. Maybe she wasn't so bad, after all. He graciously accepted the proffered buckler and slipped it on his wrist. It was quite well-made, he could hardly tell he was wearing it. He gave her a smile before taking a seat at the food-laden table and beginning to eat, making sure to savor the food, heedless of the armed guards and the lack of an actual need for him to eat. After all, what would they actually do? They couldn't hurt the 'monsters', they needed them to go into the portal, and he loved to screw with the various humankin races, especially soldiers.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    Graaf-Niig awakes, casts mage armor, and eats breakfast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spells used: Level 1--1

Do we just deduct 100gp from my gold when I cast Identify to represent the material component, or does it need to be pre-purchased?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian

Orian goes to breakfast as soon as the human servant enters the room. He was already up. He has been sitting at the table for a few minutes when Amilia gives her gifts. Orian smiles and says "Thank you very much. I am sure that it will be very useful." to Amilia. Orian eats without saying anything else unless he is talked to directly. After breakfast is over he is ready to follow Roondar to the portal.

Spoiler
    Show
    A... yeah now I have gotten a ranged weapon. I got it when I bought the onyx gems.
    Last edited by Legoshrimp; 2008-03-10 at 12:06 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

As Alanor recieves his gift he smiles broadly; Wow, Thank you, I'm sure this will come in most useful, Thank you.
    Alanor hadf never in his lifetime been given anything so freely before...

20. - Top - End - #50

Barag wakes and transforms back to his half-elf form, the better to speak to his companions. On being given the gift, he is almost taken aback.

"Thank you for this, Amilia. I will be sure to return the favour however I can." His lips part in a broad, yet slightly animalistic, smile, and he continues, "This is the respect pack-mates have, one for another- I had not expected to find it here."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Alanor
    Spoiler
    Show

You don’t see any Tharivol anywhere, but if you read the minds of the servants or common guards you learn that Tharivol will be meeting you at the portal site. Roundar also approaches, and his first words deal a blow to whatever plan Alanor had been making. “Good news! I’ve done a little research, and it will only cost me 320 gp to make the device you have requested. Could I have half of that amount now to purchase the last few material that I do not yet have?”

Oggy
    Spoiler
    Show

The guards grow increasingly agitated and nervous as you stall for time. They’re trying hard to look big, boastful, and intimidating... trying being the key word. As Roondar and the others begin to make their exit you over hear one soldier tell another in a hushed voice not intended for your ears “Go find Cobalt, and tell him to bring a net or two. It looks like that coward of a fay could be getting cold feet.”

Everyone who follows Roondar and the military escort back toward the portal.
    Spoiler
    Show

Roondar slowly leads the way back to the portal, quietly giving assurance and answering any final questions as he walks. As you round the side of the hill you see Eric and Tharivol standing to the side of the now clearly active portal. The portal now appears as silvery disk contrasting elegantly with the gleaming crystal studded bronze frame. The portal glistens in the morning light much as water, but the blurred and wavering image faintly floating in it’s depths is no reflection.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-10 at 01:31 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Amilia peers through the gate (without standing too close), to see if she can see the blue sky and green grassy fields that Erik spoke of yesterday. "I wonder what he meant by `sort of'", she thinks.

When Tharivol arrives, she makes another attempt at Detect Thoughts, while curtsying to him. Speaking in a soft voice in the hopes that the others do not overhear and interrupt, she says, "Good morning to you, Loremaster. I recognize that we are unworthy monstrous creatures, yet at least one of us must survive this trial if the Alliance is to learn more of what lies beyond the portal. In order that I may be of the greatest possible service to you, what do you most hope to learn from our journey?"

After giving him time to respond, she then asks (assuming it makes sense to do so), "Is there anything in your vast repertoire of knowledge that might help me to survive to deliver that knowledge to you?"

23. - Top - End - #53

Barag stalks up to the portal and peers in, not quite touching it, attempting to make some sense of the wavering image on the other side.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor is slightly grumpy at his plan being shot to tatter and he grudgingly gives the gnome 160 GP.
    As he walks toward the portal he ignores Tarivol as hatred bubbles inside him. Instead he turns his eyes to the portal itself trying to discren what is through it...
    Then looking round for Graaf Niig remembering the promise of an invisibility spell...

SPOT; [ROLL]1d20 +3[/ROLL]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry That roll didn't work... I hate to double post!

Spot;
    (1d20+3)[19]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Willsaves galore:
    Verse Amilia
    Trav - (1d20+8)[16]
    Roondar - (1d20+7)[17]
    Eric - (1d20+6)[26]
    Random Guard - (1d20+1)[20]

Verse Alanor
    Trav - (1d20+8)[13]
    Roondar - (1d20+7)[14]
    Eric - (1d20+6)[12]
    Random Guard - (1d20+1)[20]

...The guards are feeling close-minded today I see.

From a distance the portal appeared to show a blurry landscape. Up close the image filtering through the portal is even worse. The image quality is comparable to a bad watercolor panting made with fat brushes, particularly if the panting in comparison has had its paint run, and is also housed behind frosted glass. The top half of the portal is a grey blue, and the lower half apears to be a collage of muddled green, brown, and teal. At best someone could tentatively say green land under a blue sky awaits those on the far side.

"Don't touch the portal until after you have made your final preparations, cast any spell needed, and so forth. The portal is firm and will resist light pressure, but has a tendency to such anything that breaks the surface through. We nearly lost a dwarf metallurgy inspector when he stuck his hand in." Eric cautions.

"Just get it over with already." Tharivol mutters from where he stands with a young scribe."

"Whenever you are ready you may enter in what ever fashion you wish, but we believe that the portal is safest when people enter one at a time. However, we believe that the time between one person's entrance and the next makes no difference. Entering in half-second intervals should be just as safe as a full minute interval. I'd suggest you pretend the portal is a simple curtained door as you enter."

Amilia
    Spoiler
    Show

If you're trying to influence Tharivol I'll need you to roll a diplomacy check and a bluff check. I think I'll be using something similar to the giant's diplomacy rules rather than RAW.

Tharivol's thoughts are a touch brighter than his outward mannerisms but are still somewhat darker, more egotistical, and unfriendly than Eriks where. At the moment his loremaster curiosity and passion to learn nearly balance his disdain for the group.
    I hope one of those souls makes it back. We need to know what lies at the far side.

Alanor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming you use Detect thoughts again today you read the minds of all three.

Eric is agitated and believes his own political future depends on your success.
    Tharivol detests you all, but this is almost balanced by his curiosity and burning need to learn.
    Roondar is timid of the other two and quietly hopes both that you solve whatever problem has been haunting his portal and also for your good health.

What am I going to do if one of those beasts tries to back out?
    I hope one of those souls makes it back. We need to know what lies at the far side.
    Please don't die like the others.

Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-10 at 07:35 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor feels a rush of sympathy for Roondar, it was one of the first times he was not judged for what he was.
    Looking around him and seeing his companions all around Alanor says;
    Well then, I'd hate to dissapoint these ladies and gents, shall we get going?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig

Graaf-Niig approaches the portal and walks around it, attempting to use his knowledge of magic and the planes to perceive a way to locate it from a distance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need to roll a knowledge check or do you do that?

*casts Invisibility on Alanor*
    *casts Invisibility on self*

Spoiler
    Show
    Spells used: Lv1-1; Lv2-2

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Spoiler
    Show

Amilia has a two-fold plan with regard to Tharivol. First, she's trying to ply him for useful information by showing him how sharing the information with be beneficial to him.

Second, she's trying to get him to think about useful information, even if he's not willing to share it. ;-)

The Giant's Diplomacy rules are good.

I'm not sure that she's really bluffing about anything. Maybe being a bit more subservient than necessary, but she is lawful and he is to some degree an authority figure here. Exaggerating, you might say. Yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

Anyway, Diplomacy and Bluff rolls, to use as you see fit:

Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[10]
    Bluff: (1d20+6)[22]

30. - Top - End - #60

"I am ready to cross through," Barag says, "and I would be willing to go first."