New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Through the Portal

Orian

"I agree with your plan mostly, however I belive that it would be best to leave one of my skeltons to guard the portal. I think that it will be much easier to take back this area if the crocadile is hidden in the water until we need it.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Three? Hmm... problematic. Amillia, I suggest you land, so you can concentrate fully on your shooting. The statue being lighting-struck could indicate the lizards themselves are dealing in lightning. I had my suspicions with those markings. Orian, that's a nice touch, but I'd say leave it after we're done fighting. We don't want those things getting to us, and if they are using lightning, it shouldn't do quite so much to a skeleton." He replied, turning to who he was addressing in turn. "All that's left is Gaaf-Niig's return and we can begin. Remember, don't get too close to the water. I'm going to give it another look. Amillia, if you'd be so kind as to point out what I need to look for?" he asked as he climbed his way up one of the various half-destroyed pillars in the area for a better vantage point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb (taking ten) 10+12= 22
    Spot (with help): (1d20+26)[10](36)
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

"I've spent most of my life in the air; flying is no more distracting for me than standing upright is for you.". She grins wryly.

"Now, I'm not sure they're even visible from here, but they're over there and there.", she says as she points to each of the things that she saw.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Since we appear to have the time, just take 20 on the Spot check

Pixies have good maneuverability, which means they can Hover as a free action. See "Hover" here.

4. - Top - End - #154

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, change that to taking twenty. 46 to spot. Let's see them hide from THAT.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

The water-elemental(s): The water elemental(s) is/are underwater 3 rounds out of 4 (full cover). A DC 28 spot is required to catch just a glimpse of it at this distance.

The intact portal has a faint sparkle to it as if there are fine crystals in the side of it, but otherwise it appears to be solid rock, unlike the portal you exited from which is a deep blue, nearly black, in which swirls of color ripple. For some reason no vines grow on either portal, although the broken ruins and statues are all covered in vegetation.

Orian: Undead Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show

Crocodile Zombie
    20 ft land, 30 ft swim
    6d12 + 3 = 42 HP, AC 16 (+6 natural)
    Saves: +2/+2/+5
    (20,10,-,-,10,1)
    +8 Bite 1d8+7 -or- +8 Tail Slap 1d12+7
    Half-action, DR -5/slashing

Croc Skeleton
    20 ft land
    3d12 = 19, AC14 (+2Dex +2Nat)
    Saves +1/+3/+4
    (18,14,-,-,10,1)
    +5 Bite 1d8+6 -or- +6 Tail Slap 1d12+6
    Immune to Cold, DR -5/bludgeoning.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

6. - Top - End - #156

Oggy sees little that's new him, but his eyes widen when he turns away from the ruins. He blinks a few times before hopping back down from the broken pillar. "Okay, nobody goes that way. EVER." He said, pointing down the peninsula past the portal and away from the ruins. Though those crocs we fought were big? Well, they've got nothing on the one back that way. That one's easily three times the size of the ones we fought. It's three hundred feet plus some that way, though, so if we're careful we won't catch it's attention. We will not make it out unscathed if we provoke something like that." He explained to the assembled. "Amilia, I think the third lizard's probably behind the statue. Still, I'll just shoot at the ones I can see, and if the third comes out, we'll take it down too."
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

"It sounds like some of the creatures that live in the water here are quite a bit more powerful than the few crocs we dispatched. We were lucky. Did anyone think to bring a net? If we could tie it securely under the portal, that would greatly reduce the risk for future travelers. Including us."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    Graaf-Niig appears out of the portal, immediately slamming his feet into the ground in an attempt to stabilize himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    reflex save - (1d20+11)[30]bonus +2 for having done this before

Having landed, he turns to Amilia. "I got some knotted rope on the far side after I told them that we were alive--Emerikol of course was already predicting our doom. Can you please fly it up to the top of the portal and tie it off somewhere up there, so that anyone else going to the portal or coming out of it can grab onto it and slow their descent? Thanks.

Given how quickly that elf was telling someone that we'd died, I think it's not so certain that the previous parties are totally dead. Did anyone see any tracks or indication of recent intelligent life?"

After getting a run-down of the existing situation and what the other scouts have spotted:
    "I know you're worried about the big croc, Oggy, but as long as I can see him, I can hit him and wear him out with magic before he even gets near us. Combined with him being unable to hit Amilia, and her sniping him, we can kill him. Whichever way we go, we need to get moving. I suggest we work on establishing a safe and sheltered base camp area, as we'll be here for several days."

Graaf-Niig finds the easiest route back up the hill and inspects the side of the portal more, trying to compare the crystals to the ones in the other intact portal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana check - (1d20+12)[23]

"Oh, and I didn't tell them about the other portal just yet. They didn't ask and they don't need to know how quickly we spotted it."
    Last edited by J-H; 2008-03-19 at 10:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

"Look. You're thinking in the wrong terms. You're thinking 'when we fight it', while I'm thinking 'if we fight it'. We shouldn't even have to worry about it, as long as we keep our distance. And if we do eventually have to take it out, we can do it on our terms. But we can only fight it on our terms if we don't let it notice us just yet. See?" Oggy replied. "As for a fortified base camp, I think the ruins over that way are our best bet. There's a living bush of some sort and a few lizards between us and them, but it's a safer bet than the croc. However, I'd like you to sit back for this one, and save your magic for taking the ruins back from whatever holds them. We can handle the way there." He explained, then turned to the rest of the group. "Everyone else, if you're not ready yet, then get ready. We're going to start the attack in just a second, so get in position." He warned, then climbed up the pillar again to stay out of reach of the lizards and bush, then pulling out his bow and knocking an arrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check, taking ten makes 22
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

"Oh, Graaf-Niig, you read my mind!" Amilia takes the rope and ties it securely such that someone coming through the portal will have something to grab on to. While working, she adds, "Why don't we focus on securing the land first, and then we can decide if we want to take out the creatures in the water? If we control the land, we can all snipe at anything in the water that gives us trouble. Even if we kill everything we can see, I doubt we can exterminate every crocodile and water elemental in this demi-plane. The larger ones might give good sport, though." She gives a blood-thirsty grin as she finishes tying the rope into place.

Drawing her bow, Amilia says, "Oggy, I'll be in position in 10 seconds. My arrows follow yours."

She disappears and flies to a position 45 feet above ground and 10 feet south of Oggy.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+6)[22]

If Amilia rolls higher than Oggy, she delays her action until after he acts (i.e., her initiative becomes Oggy's minus 1).

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian
    Orian orders his undead to go 10 feet infront of the party facing the lizards and plants. Then moves behind them.
    Spoiler
    Show

ZC SC
    OR

That is sort of how I want it to be.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the double post.
    Initiative. (1d20-1)[0] My undead act on my turn. Right?
    Wow! that sucked, and glad there aren't critical fumbles on initiative/
    Last edited by Legoshrimp; 2008-03-19 at 11:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[11](15)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

"Archers in place. Meatwall up front. Make 'em work for every inch, guys." He muttered, half to himself, and half to the others. The same advice Irlym used to give. He drew back the shot. The first ones had to count, one way or another. He sighted along the shaft for a long moment, before the first arrow flew. The second followed immediately, moments behind, before the first had even reached the target, the nearest lizard to the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming everyone else is waiting on me, I'll go ahead and get us started.
    Attack!
    (1d20+9)[7](16)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5](8)
    Shock:(1d6)[5](5)
    Second arrow!
    (1d20+9)[5](14)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[3](6)
    Shock:(1d6)[3](3)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Two more arrows fly through the air at the nearest lizard(s) still alive.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack modifiers:
    +2 for being invisible vs sighted creatures
    -2 for Rapid Shot
    They also lose any Dex bonus to AC (they're flat-footed anyway, right?)

How far away are the lizards? If it's more than 110', there's also a range penalty.

Attack: (1d20+10)[4](14)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[6]
    Electric Damage: (1d6)[1]

Attack: (1d20+10)[11](21)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[11]
    Electric Damage: (1d6)[6]

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    Graaf-Niig stands at the back of the party, watching the surroundings with a drawn dagger ready to throw, but does not yet act.
    Spoiler
    Show
    initiative - (1d20+4)[21]
    spot - (1d20+1)[20]
    listen - (1d20+1)[7]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

Barag stays hidden, ready to leap out and defenc the rest of his comrades if the lizards get too close.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14] Initiative
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

End of surprise Round: (Only one shot was counted)
    Amilia and Oggy both hit! (but the lizard lives)

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    Alanor - (1d20+2)[12]
    Lizards - (1d20+6)[12]

Initiative Order
    Group A [Graaf Niig, Oggy, Amilia, Barag]
    Lizards
    Group B [Alanor, Orain]

Beginning Round 2:
    Now up: Graaf-Niig, Oggy, Amilia, and Barag
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-21 at 08:36 AM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Two arrows fly from the pixie's little bow.

Spoiler
    Show

I had forgotten that surprise rounds only get a single attack. Oops. :-) Anyway...

Attack: (1d20+10)[14](24)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[8]
    Electric: (1d6)[6]

Attack: (1d20+10)[7](17)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[8]
    Electric: (1d6)[2]

20. - Top - End - #170

Oggy began again, sending his arrows speeding across the gap between them and into the lizard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacking for the nearest living lizard.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[16](25)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[2](5)
    Shock: (1d6)[2](2)
    Attack: (1d20+9)[2](11)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[2](5)
    Shock: (1d6)[1](1)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Barag stays hideen, waiting for the enemies to get a little closer- there's no point wasting his chance to strike from ambush when the ranged combatants seem to have the situation under control.

Spoiler
    Show
    Delay actions for now... Will start if anything gets too close to the shooty people
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    Graaf-Niig waits, ready to throw a dagger if an enemy gets within 40 feet of the group.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Amilia's first shot finishes off lizard one, and her second wounds the other. Oggy follows up, and one of his shots hits the wounded lizard but doesn't quite kill it. The half-dead lizard feebly flops over the side of the rock it had been basking on. Whether intentional or not, it now has partial cover.

Nothing else happens. One lizard died, the other moved five feet, behind cover, and the last is still behind the statue.

Alanor, Orain: You two are up.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orian delays his action until one of the lizards or any unforeseen danger comes within 30 ft. of the ranged combatants or 20 ft. of him, his undead or any of the melee combatants.
    Last edited by Legoshrimp; 2008-03-22 at 01:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor brandishes his sword and says;
    Leave this one to me...
    He then stalks towards the rock.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move silently; (1d20+2)[11]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian stands ready incase the beasts charge. They don't.
    Alanor starts to carefully stalk toward the rock. He quietly advances 30 ft ahead of the group. 110 ft remain between him and said rock.

Nothing else happens.

End of round 1.

For those who wish to continue fighting:
    Round 2.
    Now up: Graaf-Niig, Amilia, Oggy, and Barag.

Oggy
    From your nature lore you realize that it's unlikely that these animals are aggressive enough to charge out across such a large field to attack you. The plant is either dumb enough to be oblivious or else trusting in it's deceptive appearance.

Everyone else: Your eye's aren't keen enough to see the wounded lizard anymore. You could always aim at the space behind the rock, but that would be it.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-22 at 08:01 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Having lost sight of the lizards, Amilia watches Alanor sneak quietly forward. Recalling the introductions last night, she thinks, "Wow. Everyone here is either a powerful spellcaster or sneaky. This is awesome! We're, like, an elite death squad! I do wish more of us had bows, though."

"Alanor and Barag, you two want to sneak up and slit the throats of the two remaining lizards? I think there's enough rubble for hiding as you approach. Oggy and I can pelt that over-ambitious plant with arrows while you advance. With a bit of luck, it'll be dead by the time you get there. If not, the others can charge it once you've stabbed some choice lizard organs."

Amilia fires two arrows at the plant creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+8)[8](16)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[7]
    Electric: (1d6)[3]

Attack: (1d20+8)[12](20)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[10]
    Electric: (1d6)[5]

Q: does the plant-creature count as Blinded (-2 AC) if we're outside the range of its Blindsight?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    Continues to hold, ready to act if needed.

29. - Top - End - #179

Oggy decides that taking down one and wounding the other was nearly good enough, and sends one last arrow at the wounded lizard, and the other into the bush. The silence, and lack of response was almost unnerving. "Orian, Barag, and Alanor, break formation and advance. There should only be one lizard left in any condition to fight. It might even run away if you look big and scary enough. Amilia and I will stay back and keep raining arrows on the bush, and cover your flank for any unexpected surprises." He said, in the midst of firing his second arrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lizard:
    Attack: (1d20+9)[2](11)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[6](9)
    Shock: (1d6)[3](3)
    Bush:
    Attack: (1d20+9)[19](28)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5](8)
    Shock: (1d6)[4](4)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian
    Orian decides to move now. Orian says to his undead. "Move to the rock."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I do not think that I can move and attack so depending on the distance and if my undead can do it with me I will take a double move to get forty feet closer to the enemies.