New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Through the Portal

Barag never gets a chance to shift.

The plant takes a step back away from the group and hesitates for a moment... before desperately lunging at the hybrid. Barag had been prepared for such an attempt, and he evades the lunge with little trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+11)[12] damage - (2d6+5)[11]
    attack - (1d20+11)[23] damage - (2d6+5)[13]
    Crit Conformation - (1d20+11)[22] damage - (2d6+5)[15]
    grapple - (1d20+15)[20]

end of round.
    Now that the lizards are gone, I can take actions from everyone.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-04-05 at 08:27 AM.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    Seeing that the plant creature is nearly dead, and that there are no other foes, Graaf-Niig moves closer to the group while refraining from using any additional spells.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Still defending himself, Barag prepares to snap at any limbs that come too close.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting defensively (not total defence), ready action to attack if the plant attacks me.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian
    Orian moves forward and has his croc move forward also.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

As the plant lunges toward Barag, an arrow flies from above, as the pixie cries out, "I've got you covered, Barag!"

Spoiler
    Show

Amilia had readied an action to fire if the plant tried to attack again, so this attack occurs just before it lunges at Barag.

The plant loses any dex bonus and takes -2 to AC, assuming it can't perceive Amilia.

Attack: (1d20+10)[11](21)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[6]

Then the plant does its thing...

Then Amilia fires two more arrows. :-)

Attack: (1d20+8)[7](15)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[10]
    Attack: (1d20+8)[2](10)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[7]

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor pulls an animal from his bag of tricks, a rat plops out and sits on the floor looking at Alanor who then instructs it to attack the plant.
    Lets get this over and done with! I've better things to do than fight bushes!
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d100)[45]
    Last edited by JettWilderbeast; 2008-04-07 at 09:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fine, ignore the possibility of turning a vicious plant monster back on your masters, see if I care.

"Sorry." Oggy muttered in sylvan, drawing up his bow and loosing another flight of arrows into the bush. "I'll make sure your body is treated well."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[20](29)
    (1d8+3)[7](10)
    (1d20+9)[15](24)
    (1d8+3)[7](10)
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Amilia's readied arrow doesn't kill the plant, but Oggy's following shots do. The bush takes a half step backward under the impacts, and then collapses to the ground. Alanor's rat tentatively gnaws on the remains.

End of Combat.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    "Well, that was...interesting." Graaf-Niig looks around to see if he can see anything interesting from the new location, or perceive more about the ruins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+1)[9]

He then ponders the lightning attack used by the lizards, trying to see if he can recall anything similar that he's seen before, or anything else that might help him determine how it works.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft - (1d20+13)[15]
    Knowledge, Arcana - (1d20+12)[25]

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor ignores the rat looking disdainfully at it. He turns to everyone; Well, its been a busy morning! Shall we head on? Oh and does anyone have any healing they do on me?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Amilia says, "I'll keep an eye out for any other dangers while you search the ruins.". She keeps her bow out, flying back and forth over the area, keeping an eye out for anything approaching the group.

12. - Top - End - #252

Oggy crossed over the underbrush towards the group. "Amilia, go ahead and scout, but stay out of sight and quiet, we really don't want whatever's in there to know we're coming. For you, it should be simple. Somebody search the plant's body for anything valuable or useful. We'll burn it later, after we've cleared the ruins, the smoke would call unwanted attention to us." He began. "Graaf-Niig, the gloves are off while we take the ruins, so get yourself prepped. You see something unfriendly, terminate with extreme prejudice. I don't care if it leaves a glowing crater when you're finished, I want it dead. I'm going to climb this statue and see what is to be seen." He finished as he reached the statue, digging his fingers into the grooves and climbing to the top, where he sat upon it's head and cast his gaze over the ruins.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking ten on the climb, taking twenty on the spot. Not like we're in a hurry, after all.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2008-04-09 at 05:58 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Amilia replies, "I make a much better outdoor scout than an indoor scout, I'm afraid. One trap and I'm toast. Handling traps is a skill I'd very much like to learn. Perhaps Barag and Alanor can give me some instruction when we're resting. That would be delightful!"
    Spoiler
    Show

I am starting to regret not starting with Rogue 1/Fighter 1 instead of Fighter 2. :-)

How big are these ruins, anyway?

14. - Top - End - #254

Barag begins carefully moving into the ruins, watching out for traps or hidden enemies and keeping as quiet as he can. His keen nose flares, trying to pick up the scent of any creatures hiding in ambush, as he stalks quietly forwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Many checks, just in case:

Hide: (1d20+19)[20]
    MS: (1d20+19)[27]
    Search: (1d20+11)[28]
    Scent: (1d20+15)[17]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[4]
    Listen: (1d20+3)[5]
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor heads into the ruins with his sword drawn, keeping an eye out for any traps as well as anything of interest or enemies or even anything! Be careful. I've seen many a dangerous thing in "ruins" he says with particular stress on the ruins.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot; (1d20+3)[22]
    Listen; (1d20+4)[17]
    Search; [ROLL]1d20+4[ROLL]

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry messed up the Search!
    (1d20+4)[11]

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    "Wait. Let's think before we charge in. Amilia, could you please fly up a couple of hundred feet and check out our surroundings a bit more? The mist may make it harder to see, but you should get an idea of the extent of the ruins, what's beside/behind them, etc... anything really tall should stick up and be visible."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Amilia replies, "I actually did just that very thing while you were on the other side of the portal, Graaf-Niig. We just killed everything I discovered. Fun times!" She giggles. "The coast is clear as far as I can see from up here."
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming the DM will correct me if I misunderstood him somewhere along the line.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

The Ruins (exterior)

The complex before you was once a large two-story structure about 40 ft wide and a good deal longer. Your are looking at it from the side, so it is difficult to judge the length. This central structure is then surrounded on two, possibly three, sides by a single story wings with flat roofs that appear to have functioned as open air decks. Time has corrupted all of this. What is left of the once ornate woodwork appears to be rotting, including the wood used to board up several of the windows. Those windows that are not boarded appear to have once been filled with crystal or glass, but this too is long gone. The roof appears to have been covered in sod, and thick green growth only slightly lesser than that under your feet grows there. In many place the roof is sagging, leaving a handful of crumbling holes in places. The outer walls appear to be solid stone of some sort, and they are covered with the tendrils of climbing vines and moss. A pair of massive wooden doors stand by the wall you are facing. The set the on right have been shattered by beasts or time. The ones on the left are swollen and cracked with age, but still block the entrance.

Oggy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see... take ten, cary the one... distance, cover... ... Fine. You see shapes lurking in the shadows inside the building. You catch a glimpse of sparkling reflected light off one small furtive figure and make out a dark humanoidish shape watching you from hiding deep within. The ruins are not lifeless.

Also, your survival skill tells you the 'north' you are familiar with does not exist on this plane.

Amilia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Random Triva: You identify the ruins to have been constructed largely out of Pink Granite.

Barag
    Spoiler
    Show

You see nothing, but your noes tells all... which isn't much more than 'we are alone' The dead plant smell of rotting flesh and fresh sap. A few rats, lizards and diminutive creatures can be smelt as they scurry close to the ground under the foliage, but nothing else other than your companions are close by.

HP tally and area map coming... later this week.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-04-09 at 09:16 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

"Uh, guys? Pull out, now. I'm seeing a few humanoids in the darkness, some not-so-humanoid, and some things I can't even identify. A couple of them even have metal implements of some sort." He called out to the group.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

OOC; So nothing came of Alanors spot checks? or any of his checks?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    "Hmmm..." Stopping near the edge of the ruins, Graaf-Niig checks with Oggy to see if any of the things he spotted are within range.
    If so, he casts Detect Magic and studies the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I'm out of range, say so and I won't waste the spell. Did I learn anything from my above check on the lightning attack?
    Lv0-1, Lv1-3, Lv2-2, Lv4-1

23. - Top - End - #263

Barag snarls, pulls back and returns to his half-elf form to allow ease of speech.

"Whatever they are, they are not alive. I smell nothing in there- nothing but rotting plants."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

((OOC: As I noted in the OOC thread this last week has been a bit hectic for me, so it will be another day or so before I'm organized enough to deal with the group entering the ruins. So, the party is temporarily on 'role-play' mode.))

The previous description was what everyone saw with their spot checks. Spoiled stuff represents anything additional a character knows from position, extraordinary skills, or unique abilities.

Graaf-Niig
    Spoiler
    Show

The lizards: Those were magical-beasts. The lightning was a supernatural or extraordinary ability, not a spell-like ability.

Save the Detect Magic. It has a 60 ft range and is blocked by a foot of stone. It lasts as long as you concentrate on maintaining it.

Barag
    Spoiler
    Show

Your nose is keen enough to detect living creatures 20-120 ft distant depending on wind, roll of dice, etc.

The no scent was for 80 ft away by the dead plant, but applying that check to 35 ft away from the doors ... still leaves no living creatures, just a dank musky moldy scent that seems to originate inside the ruin.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Amilia speaks the command words to reactivate her bow's electric attack, "desumo satus", flies down to hover next to Oggy, and becomes visible. "Can you point the creatures out to me Oggy? I wonder if I can see them from here." She peers in the direction that Oggy indicates for a moment.

"So... what's our plan?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot: +4 Spot + 4 bonus from Oggy pointing them out + take 20 = 28

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian
    Orian walks to the rest of the group and calls his undead to follow him. When he gets to the rest of the group he says. "How about we send one of my undead in to lure them out?"

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig
    "I could also summon more creatures...including a larger number of lesser ones, if it seems wiser."

28. - Top - End - #268

Oggy stroked his goatee, thoughfully."I like the zombie idea, Orian, but keep it in reserve for now. Graaf-niig, do you have anything that would flow with those passageways and clear out the guys inside? I want the building as intact as possible, but we need the occupants out of there, one way or another." He asked the resident mage. "I really don't want to charge a fortified position without something to soften up the defenses, and we really don't have the time or the resources for a battle of atrophy."
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor listens to the plans interesedly then decides to add his own thoughts; Well why are we assuming that whatever is in there is going to hurt us? Besides they probably already know we are here. We had a fight with a giant plant. So I say we try to make some kind of... non violent contact first, were we not sent here to find information?
    Alanor turns to the building and tries to detect the thoughts of anyone or thing in the ruins.
    Last edited by JettWilderbeast; 2008-04-11 at 01:41 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270

"Another good point. Hmm... Perhaps we should approach as a group, allowing space for a plan to go into effect quickly, should things get hostile, all the while trying whatever languages we know to get these ruin-dwellers out in the open and on even footing. For diplomatic reasons, of course. How does that sound?" Oggy replied.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show