New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Is Charlie from Parson's World?

Or another plane of dimension where he understands that Erfworld is a game?
    Discuss. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by That Schubert Guy What Wrote that Vampire Article
    In the D&D game, so much of a character’s identity is expressed by the powers that character can use.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Is Charlie from Parson's World?

I'm betting that he's from Erfworld, but the Arkendish gives him information that would otherwise be impossible for him to know. I think he probably knows the nature of the reality he's in because of the artifact he possesses. This knowledge would naturally warp his perspective and make him seem strange to other inhabitants of Erfworld.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Well, if he lives in Erfworld, it isn't just a game for him any more than it is for Parson.

Whether the fact that he's not seen onscreen means anything other than the obvious (a riff on "Charlie" of "Charlie's Angels") is wide open to amusing speculation, and my guess is that it will remain so.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

(First post on these forums )

I think Charlie is from Erfworld, since he speaks in the same font as the other Erfworlders and not in Parson's font.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mathi View Post
    (First post on these forums )

I think Charlie is from Erfworld, since he speaks in the same font as the other Erfworlders and not in Parson's font.
    clever.
    I did not notice the font thing. Maybe it is a known detail, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Schubert Guy What Wrote that Vampire Article
    In the D&D game, so much of a character’s identity is expressed by the powers that character can use.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glome View Post
    I'm betting that he's from Erfworld, but the Arkendish gives him information that would otherwise be impossible for him to know. I think he probably knows the nature of the reality he's in because of the artifact he possesses. This knowledge would naturally warp his perspective and make him seem strange to other inhabitants of Erfworld.
    Predictamancy? Charlie sounds more sure than that.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Having Hampster appear in a "Mork calling Orsen" suit does tend to support the theory that Charlie knows something of our world.

Unless, of course, the suit is a manifestation of Hampster's mind.
    --
    Cheers,
    Kompera

8. - Top - End - #8
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kompera View Post
    Having Hampster appear in a "Mork calling Orsen" suit does tend to support the theory that Charlie knows something of our world.

Unless, of course, the suit is a manifestation of Hampster's mind.
    Er, you might have noticed that all sorts of pop-culture references from our world keep showing up.

On a metastory level, it's one of the comical elements Rob and Jamie worked into the story. On a (well, sorta) serious level, we can explain it as Wanda's spell locking onto Parson instead of any of a zillion other candidates because the parallel items in "this boopin' world" seem familiar to him.

Edit: That suggests that the Mork suit might be standard for Charlie's Thinkagram-telepresence clients, which evokes an amusing mental image of Ansom's call....
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-24 at 11:06 AM.