New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1239
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout: Van Buren (IC)

((If the trio in the hospital are in concensus, it is very easy for them to navigate back to outbuilding 3 without being spotted by the dogs. You will find Joab crouching near the north end of Outbuilding 3, though he has no new status reports about the signature to the north.))

Juggs passes through the pair of doors at the far end of the room Addison has entered. It's a little startling but they have since confirmed the presence of one another and have cleared the basement save for the doors beyond the waiting room. Of this, you find nothing really important short of a still intact topical magazine. Doesn't seem to having anything of educational value, it is centred around the effects of radiation, the United States anti-ballistic initiative, Chinese economics, and if movies are making children violent. From here, there is a door to a flight of stairs and a closed elevator door.
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Wrench" Dodgson
    Wrench waves as the group meets up with Juggsy.

"Hey, Juggsy. Found anythin' good?"

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ettin in the Playground

His rummaging interrupted, Juggs turns at the familiar, albeit vexing sound of the team's resident wiseass, his features contorted with their usual intonations of displeasure.

"Bah! Nothing but miserable rubbish."

He roughly holds up the magazine.

"Might be good for killing a couple of hours though, or wiping my ass besides. I'll keep it around."

The mutant quickly tosses the rag into his pack.

"Help us finish clearing this place out; then we can head on with you past those mutts."

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Halfling in the Playground

Addison

Looking up and seeing Juggs then the rest of the group appear she waves her arm in an encompassing sweep of the place they searched.

"Indeed, this place is fairly empty, nothing much of interest."
    I lived through the Invasion of the Zombies and all I got was this lousy signature thingie made by a lazy narrator. Go me!
    I fought The Mysterious Circle of Shadowy Chairs in Discworld I (Dei in Machina) till the end, won the game and survived and all I got is this lousy signature line.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James Torres

James follows along with the group, silently pondering other possible ideas on how to navigate the dog infested area. He looks upwards, considering the layout of the building and his group, that might work.

"Anybody think we could just go out side and try to climb up to the next level? Find enough rope or something? I don't know if that would make too much noise, but if not and if feasable we could be saving ourselves some trouble.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alexis

"That's a great idea, Torres. But instead of a dangerous climb, how about trying to find the escape stairs on the side of the building, we could probably use that to get past the dogs! Even fire stairs are bound to be somewhere in the building!"

He then waits for the posse, looking at his wakizashi.

"And if anyone can find me a good whet stone, to sharpen this blade, I'd be most grateful. I think it got a bit blunt after being rammed into the door so many times at the police station."

He turns to the posse, then goes for the flight of stairs.

"Let's clear the place out and then find the emergency stairs in the other building."
    A Revenant

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Orc in the Playground

((Neither myself nor the design document directly acknolwedges this route, but it's the kinda of thinking that should be rewarded.))

Addison is well aware that the design of the building suggests that it would be up to some kind of fire code. An actual 'fire exit' is unlikely to be attached to the main building. However, maintenance access to the roof would be more likely.

It doesn't take long for the group to find a set of ladders here at the back of the hosptial. One leads all the way up the building and includes a rail to keep climbers from falling backwards. The other leads to the top of the first floor area. Juggs spies that there is some scaffolding and another latter that leads up to the main building's roof. Finally a third one is attached to outbuilding 2 to it's roof, though that would be a route to nowhere... Unless one walks across the roof of the skyway, climbing in through the broken windows below, or all the way across and smash open one of the windows there.

Access is limited however by locked 'cages' on the bottom portions of the ladders, not allowing anyone to use them directly without the right key. The padlocks are still intact, and seem to have little chemical damage. However the one to the first floor is dented and the 'express' to the top has a coper wire sticking out of the keyhole, yet another botched job by looters.
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

8. - Top - End - #1118

"Wrench" Dodgson
    Wrench nodded.

"Alright, y'all handle that. Say, didn't you guys find a battery 're somethin? I'd like ta have a look at that, if ya don't mind. Gimme a pip when yer done."

He headed off to search for the device from before and open it up.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ettin in the Playground

"Generator, yeah. Go ahead. You better be careful though; take Joab with you, it's not wise to head out alone."

Juggs nods at the robot.

"Take care of the grease monkey, and keep us posted on that tank. I'm counting on you bud."

Arriving at the ladder bases, Juggs' perpetual frown again deepens in acknowledgment of yet another setback. He is quick however, to recognize the solution to the jammed lock in the form of a certain chopping implement.

"Tackle the other locks Torres, I've got this."

With that, the mutant solidly brings his axe blade down upon the aged metal.

10. - Top - End - #1120

"Wrench" Dodgson
    "Yeah, ya got a point there. Come on, Joab, let's go check out th' generators. 'sides, extra pair of hands never hurts."

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James Torres

"Good call on the ladders, it does seem like a safer bet."

With that he goes to inspect the locks, attempting to crack those that aren't hopelessly broken, even fiddling with the ones that look beat up if it seems somewhat plausible, and leaving the others to Jugg's axe.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d100)[44] v 101
    (1d100)[66] v 101
    (1d100)[66] v 101
    (1d100)[97] v 101

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Orc in the Playground

For Torres, these longs are child's play. He barely has to fish around inside the locks before he feels the tumblings slide in and the metal loop come down with a satisfying clunk.

((Two steel padlocks. They seem rather easy to pick, but they could be ballasts, jewelry, or used to seal that century old lunchbox full of tuna salad. (1 lbs.))

Meanwhile, Juggs takes a bit longer hammering away at his lock. After a about the fifth try the jammed padlock gives way, the metal loop cracking, and with a snarl and a tug breaks loose. The cage soon topples as the weight of the cage door is too much for the last remaining pin in the inches. It hits the pavement with a hissing crash. Somewhere on the wind a short, twittering tune plays to signify some sort of success.

Joab seems momentarily distracted by the strange noise before leading Wrench into Outbuilding 1 and to the fenced in power generators. The fence has a gate into the cramped space between the fence and generator. Joab also mentions that there is a computer console in the office that they believe is linked to the generator, but there is no power.

13. - Top - End - #1123

Alexis

"While you guys finish up, I'm going to try to get to the rooftop of this outbuilding. I'll take a look around to see what's been making all this noise, maybe I'll get to see something interesting."

Alexis will get to the stairs of outbuilding and climb up to the top of the building, where he stays crouched down and looks around from this vantage point to try to see anything remotely suspicious. Dogs fleeing, Cerberus units on the move, or maybe the "Big Bad Thing" TM. that caused all this racket earlier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d10)[5] vs 8
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-10-28 at 04:24 PM.
    A Revenant

14. - Top - End - #1124

"Wrench" Dodgson
    Wrench pried open the gate and headed over to the generators, deciding to open up the housing first. Sure, he could use the Micro Fuse to turn on the computer, but if the computer was out, odds were that the generator was either down, or some of the wiring to the generator was out.

He set about opening up the generator.

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably doesn't warrant a repair check (kind of destructive, really), but...

Repair - (1d100)[30] vs 32%
    Repair - (1d100)[83] vs 32%
    Repair - (1d100)[18] vs 32%

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

Admiring his destructive handiwork with a satisfied grimace, Juggs stretches shock riddled muscles, axe again relegated to the unseen depths of his pack. When Alexis speaks, he turns his attentions on the would-be scout.

"I'll head up with you; if there's anything worth spotting out there, chances are I'll be able to see it. Afterwords, we should regroup and head in via a rooftop insertion; with all due caution of course."

The mutant looks distrustfully towards the towering hospital.

"I've got a feeling this place is teaming with hostiles. We must be wary at all times."

16. - Top - End - #1126

Addison

"I'll wait for Wrench to fix the generator so I can see about that computer from before"

Saying this Addison follows Wrench and Joab back to the generators to see how he gets it working again and to also wait for the power to be restored, hopefully restoring the downed computer.

So she watches and waits
    Last edited by Kasz; 2008-11-04 at 08:35 AM.
    I lived through the Invasion of the Zombies and all I got was this lousy signature thingie made by a lazy narrator. Go me!
    I fought The Mysterious Circle of Shadowy Chairs in Discworld I (Dei in Machina) till the end, won the game and survived and all I got is this lousy signature line.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James Torres

James flexes his nimble fingers, glad of his success, and looks around to see what the others are doing. It was doubtful he could do much on the roof, but it seemed silly to get caught dinking around here doing nothing. "Might as well stick with this half of the group," he mutters as he follows Juggs.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Orc in the Playground

Up above there isn't much to be seen. The central park stretches outward to the north with spindly trees and a walled in complex, as well as a nearby skeletal structure. The dogs are making their usual racket throughout the city. Neither Alexis nor Juggs can identify the presence of the 'threat' that Joab has continued to detect.

Meanwhile, working away at the housing, Wrench removes the final plate for the generator and immediately spies the obvious problem. A large component known as the Fission Battery Fuse has been removed. Where once would have been a healthy blue glow is now a big bit of emptiness. Without that fuse the generator simply will not work.

Standing at the fence, Joab peers over Wrench's shoulder.

"It goes without saying that, during a crisis, a hospital is the first place to be picked clean of any useful, especially key components for a power source. I am afraid that unless we find a replacement, we will have to face the dangers of the hospital ruins without electricity." Joab looks at the generators. A whirring sound as if he is pondering something.

19. - Top - End - #1129

"Wrench" Dodgson
    "Yeah. I was hopin' ta dig up somethin' useful m'self. I already figgered we'd hafta go without electricity - years don't do much good ta wirin' even without th' fuse being taken out."

Wrench looked closer.

"Wonder if there's anythin' still usable in this burnt out piece a' junk?"

20. - Top - End - #1130

Alexis Bodar

A pip reaches everyone.

> This is Alexis. No sign of hostiles. City activity is normal... HOLY SH*T !!!!

There is a long silence.

> Sorry, you should have seen that rad cockroach, freaking disgusting.
    > Anyway, me, Juggs and Torres are gonna proceed for a rooftop insertion and walk on top of the skyway. Join us when you're done and we can get going.

Alexis shivers slightly and looks up at the hospital, counting the number of floors and then letting out a loooong sigh.
    A Revenant

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking to his pip with an amused smirk at Alexis' 'report', Juggs snaps off his own message prior to the long pause.

>Something big, bad and ugly is headed towards you Wrench, and it's not me.
    >You better start hiding.

Maintaining a careful vigil, the newly mischievous mutant leads the group's advance to the rooftop stairs, stopping as he reaches the doorway to the interior. There he again moves to leverage his archaic training, motioning at the others to provide cover as he slowly edges open the door and peers inside, shotgun cocked and at the ready.

22. - Top - End - #1132

"Wrench" Dodgson
    Wrench stood, and looked around.

"Hey Joab, Addi, see anythin'? Juggsy just sent a message sayin' there was somethin' headin' our way."

Putting down his toolbox, he managed to climb up on top of the generator to look around before Alexis' clarification.

>Ha Ha, Juggsy.
    >If that thing gets us, it's gonna be yer fault.

23. - Top - End - #1133

Addison

Looking at how nothing can be done for the generator she asks
    "Can you attach your battery to the computer directly without frying it?"

When Wrench stands up and looks around asking about if she saw anything she turns around and looks around drawing the beretta* she got from Juggs earlier.

"Did he say what it is?"

Spoiler
    Show

OOC:(*I think it was given before coming here)
    Last edited by Kasz; 2008-11-04 at 08:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1134

"Wrench" Dodgson
    Wrench climbed down and resumed his examinations of the generator.

"Naw, I think it was just Juggsy tryin' ta be funny. Emphasis on th' tryin' part. 't any rate, yeah, most comps can be run by a micro-fuse - 't jes needs ta be hooked up right. After we're done 'ere we can go up an' get it all connected 'n stuff."

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Orc in the Playground

A quick look at the generator reveals that none of the generator parts look accessible. The frame of the two cylinders doesn't make it possible to root around unless the entire frame was torn apart. The fuse was probably the only thing worth collecting anyway.
    Wrench's luck doesn't improve much either when he attempts to hook up the computer to the battery. Twisting the black and red wires to their respective nodes causes a little bit of life in the computer which gives a gentle hum. Then there is a cracking sound and with a hiss gray smoke seeps through the cracks of the computer's casing, the death rattle of the motherboard.

The skyway isn't as treacherous as it looked from bellow. The grit from wind and dirt have left the top panels rough, giving good traction. The same wind has worn down the glass on the frames to a smooth rounded finish and dirt piles against the wall both inside and outside of the window's frame.
    The window leads into an office with the door ajar. A ransacked desk and knocked over cabinet are all that is left of the office's furnishing. The chair as been torn apart and the floor is covered in crunching, yellowed notes and clipboards.
    Last edited by Kain_Tempest; 2008-11-06 at 10:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1136

"Wrench" Dodgson
    "Whup. Looks like the thing was dead ta begin with. Th' power supply managed ta take it okay, but somethin' else is junked."

Wrench took out his tools and opened up the computer.

"Well, maybe we can salvage a bit a' this thing."

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ettin in the Playground

Meticulous and consummate a looter as ever, Juggs carefully investigates the ravaged desk and office for any missed salvage that might prove valuable. Then, with this obligatory duty taken care of, he speaks into his pip,

>Juggs here.
    >Discovered and cracked a few locks to the ladder accesses, and have made an insertion into the main building from the rooftop of the second outbuilding.
    >So far so good; no injuries.
    >Insertion point seems to be an office.
    >Nothing of worth yet discernible.

communicating his team's position and status with curt efficiency. His longarm prepped, Juggs inches his head quietly out into the hall, barrel accompanying the mutant's cranial motions as it pans in every direction alert for any hostiles.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James Torres

James continues to follow Juggs's lead. He also looks through the junk, paying some attention to some of the notes on the ground and scanning the notes. It seemed unlikely that somebody would have left useful information lying around, but it could provide a hint as to a good place to search. He also searches the walls for a possible map, or directions continuing as they go on. It seemed likely that a hospital would have pretty clear directions, but then again who knows if those directions survived the destruction.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Orc in the Playground

Even in the far flung future it seems as though there have been no advances in deciphering the ancient runes of the doctors known as 'Chicken Scratch'. Had a nurse survived the apocalypse you might be able to determine what arcane formulae that these physicians had penned. Sadly there is nothing of value in the office.

Jugg's scan of the hall proves it to be rather nondescript. The architecture of the building has remained intact thankfully, but the place seened to rely upon electrical light, which is now a siginificantly deficient commodity in the wasteland. There is indication of a directory in this area but judging from the office, this is clearly the domain of phsyicians who do not do physical exams. Torres' sense of direction easily helps to orrient the group and determines tha tthe stairs and elevators are likely down the hall to the left.
    Surprisingly, there isn't that much indication of dogs roaming in this area except for the odd paw print on the dirty floor. Plaques on the walls next to doors reveal the names of the various physicians and reaching the floor's lobby fully reveals this to be an administrative floor of the building. Directories point to offices in the north, lobby and waiting rooms to the west, and archives to the east.

After some unscrewing and prying, Wrench pulls open the computer terminal and begins digging through. The short out caused by the micro fuse did a number on several of the parts, however a couple of cables and devices survived.

((Wrench discovers some computer parts. 10% towards electronic crafting.))

30. - Top - End - #1140

Alexis Bodar

Seeing as the desk at the entrance was completely salvaged of all possible useful material, maybe the offices and archives would prove to have been a more secure area and have been spared by looters. He motions to Torres to come check out the offices with him, and he unsheathes his blade, watching for any sign of dogs.

"Whetstone..." He mumbles, as he still keeps his eyes peeled for one to sharpen his wakizashi with.
    A Revenant