New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: 101 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 91

Quote Originally Posted by pasko77 View Post
    Thanks.
    So, in college (or what, high school?), are classes always identified by numbers?

Sorry for the OT.
    University or college. A class will be identified by subject and number.

So a basic physics course might be PH 101.

PH for physics.
    First 1 for level (0=remedial, 1=freshman, 2=sophmore, 3=junior, 4=senior, 5-7 for graduate school although level 5 classes are often available to undergrads).
    0 for survey of the general subject. (The next seven numbers will be assigned specific specialties while 8 is likely used for wierd stuff and 9 is used for seminars.)
    Second 1 is for the first course in the sequence (these numbers are actually rarely sequencial since they leave room to add additional courses later).

PH 332 thus might be the second junior level course in thermodynamics while PH 551 might be the first course in quantum mechanics.

101 is thus nominally the first freshman introductory course covering the entire subject. Beats the heck out of 005 for example, but basic stuff mostly, probably the simplest course the department teaches that gives actual credit toward your degree, and in the case of any of the hard sciences its pretty well assumed that the students majoring in the subject will skip right past these classes since they'll have had the 101 material in high-school and that 101 is thus for the arts majors and the like to fill their science requirement rather than a serious class.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

There was a computer game called wizardry 101. You started as an apprentice.
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Jillian looked pretty shocked at Ansom, even Wienber was surprised it seemed. It appears Vinny realized Ansom's mistake already, and the generic mook seems surprised too. Regardless of what happens the fallout is sure to be fun.
    The generic mook is Dora, Webinar's girlfriend. You know, the one who is a 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenputtyknife View Post
    Oh yes, the sword. Presumably the blade arrives at the start of the next turn and the thing's complete. And whether the thing turns out to be a kick-ass weapon that would make Wilkinson proud, or just a piece of plastic trash as others have speculated, it's fairly certain that it's going to look impressive, at least from a distance, especially considering it's Parson-sized.

Maybe it would be best if the sword turned out to be made of plastic, after all. I'm not sure Parson could convincingly swing a steel sword bigger than a rapier. Useless in a fight, but Parson would stand little chance in a fight anyway, and if his strategy is to bluff Ansom and smash the coalition through psychology…

“I want a big guy. Big, powerful, dashing, handsome, heroic… a guy who'll shock and awe them, just standing on the city walls, commanding the fight…” — Stanley.
    Good point. Parson is everything Stanley wished for, though sometimes in a literal genie kind of way ("eating marbits for breakfast"). Parson definitely is big compared to the average Erfworlder, and apparently he's working on the "powerful, dashing, handsome, heroic" parts. Still not there yet, but he's trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    There's no reason to believe that Ansom had any idea that Jillian might be a royal prior to her comment about "...the kingdom he cost me..." Note that he addresses her as "Commander" (as usual) and then corrects himself to "Princess" (now that he knows she is entitled to that title).
    Well, not necessarily... the only knowledge we have of Jillian and Ansom comes from right before the battle of gobwinknob when this comic began, and the very moment she joined the alliance in her flashback... since we know that she has been captured numerous times and held in atleast one other city under Stanely's rule, we know that she has been with the alliance for a fairly good amount of time... as Such, we have a nice big blank history between Jillian and Ansom that we don't know about... he may have found a reason to suspect Jillian of being atleast a noble...

One thing comes to mind is that, even if she does not have a royal title anymore, i would expect her to maintain her higher stats... Ansom might have been able to look at her stats, and based on what kind of unit she and her level, that her stats may have been higher than he thought they should be... Also, their could be a precedent for what happens to royals and nobles when they loose their kingdom/land; that they loose their title and given a title based on their unit type... So Ansom knows that it may not be beyond belief that a wondering unit leading troops may actually be a unit of nobility... not to mention, since they are in an age of war something like this happening would not be unheard of... especially when said unit joins your side out of a fierce hatred for the enemy leader who has been trying to conquer other kingdoms

Also, Jillian may not like being a royal, but if she was growing fonder of Ansom and recognized he has much respect for royals, she may have dropped a hint or two to get on his good side and get him to notice her...

Really, when it comes down to it, Ansom sounds like the type who believes strongly in royal marriages... he would not even consider a woman if she was not of atleast noble linage. Frankly, i don't think he would even try to get together with Jillian unless he atleast suspected she might be more than she seems....

He may have started developing feelings for her, and that ended up affecting his judgement... he watched her closely enough to suspect that she was more than she seemed, and because he knew he could not accept a commoner as his loved one, he HOPED she would turn out to be a noble and that hoped skewed and supported his suspicions... What we saw from Jillian might have given her a 10% chance of being a noble, but his HOPES that the woman he was attracted to would fit his world view skewed those results and jumped his suspicions up to 50%... with that, he decided to pursue her, trusting in his own hopes that she would turn out to be a noble...

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The generic mook is Dora, Webinar's girlfriend. You know, the one who is a 2.
    That is not Dora...
    That is another one of the warlords... most likely one of the allies and not of Jetstone... i expect, Dora and Weiber's gold armor to be the standard for Jetstone warlords

She's also seen here and here with Ansom and Vinne at the column, while Dora was with Weibner out in the field
    Last edited by slayerx; 2008-03-26 at 02:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Hehehe, it sure does look like Parson is trying to piss of Ansom to a degree where he explodes in anger and does something reckless.

Good work Parson

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inconclusive, perhaps, but the comic seems to be giving a strong impression that Parson's size is being conveyed. The biggest clue is in the tilts of Parson's and Ansom's heads: Ansom is looking up at him and Parson looking down. Of course, we don't know what the scaling and perspective rules for thinkagrams are, but from what we're shown, I'd assume that size is being conveyed until proven otherwise.
    Alternatively, it could be determined by the person handling the thinkagram.

Maggie is shown making a TV symbol with her hands to support the image he is seeing. He has to look down at that. I don't think Ansom looks like he is looking up, it is more horizontal. However, the effect for the receiver might basically work out as looking through the transmitter's eyes.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh yes, the sword. Presumably the blade arrives at the start of the next turn and the thing's complete.
    The blade IS complete, see here...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0096.html
    Code:
    ┌─╖ ╓─┐
    │ /┬\ │ ♪ ♪ ♫ 
    ╘' ┴ '╛
     ├(♥)┤  Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do...
    ╒. ┬ .╕
    │ \┴/ │  ♫ ♪ ♪
    └─╜ ╙─┘

9. - Top - End - #129
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VaeVictis View Post
    The blade IS complete, see here...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0096.html
    That's not the blade. Both ends are squared off, and it doesn't cut into Bogroll or Parson even though both handle it without any care at all. That's the blunt part of a sword right next to the hilt. Arkenputtyknife is suggesting that the actual sharp part will be the third and last part of the sword to arrive.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

I really like what he's done.

Both Parson and the writer guy.
    Try to make something completely idiotproof and nature will create a better idiot.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

Judging from the faces of the others, how many do YOU think were offended by that?

Loved Vinnie's clean, simple execution, and appropriate timing of, the exquisite "Oof".
    Last edited by Sonar009; 2008-03-26 at 05:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

If the war was sold to them based on Ansom's public "I just want to end a great evil" rationale, they're going to be a bit if not downright by this display of his private reasons.

The gun was hung over the mantlepiece way back in Ansom's speech at the big war council:
    I have been giving this some thought, and I feel more and more convinced that SteveMB has gotten hold of something important here. A coalition this large is bound to experience internal friction. We have already seen Webinar exercise his variant of 'diplomacy' on Jillian, and Vinnie's comment on him may be found in my .sig below.

In this large a force, there's bound to be at least a certain number of potential trouble sources like Webinar. The tensions are undoubtedly already there. Rumour travels fast in an army camp and tends to grow in the telling. Ansom's eruption just may prove the spark that lights the fuse to the powderkeg of trouble -- or even ignites it outright. I suspect a worst case scenario would be that the camp splits into two, one angry at Ansom for belittling them, the other Ansom apologists, the latter would accuse the former of overreacting and failing to respect Ansom's natural superiority, the former would not precisely get any happier from that...

Oh, and don't forget, the thinkagram isn't even over yet. I am looking forward to seeing what Parson may add as a parting shot.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well now, Ansom's got some 'splainin' to do.

While I do not think this single stroke will be enough to dissolve his coalition, I do think that Parson has managed to lay some effective groundwork towards 'sploiting the loyalty mechanic as well as diminishing morale. So long as he (Parson) can put up a strong showing in the next turn and inflict some serious casualties, the loyalty difficulties caused by Ansom's elitist outburst will be magnified. Doubtless, Parson will have further gambits in play to exacerbate those difficulties.

In any event, a brilliant stroke by Parson and an excellent and subtle use of Chekov's Gun by Balder and Noguchi. Kudos!
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    Oh, and don't forget, the thinkagram isn't even over yet. I am looking forward to seeing what Parson may add as a parting shot.
    One possibility a couple people have mentioned (assuming Charlie is indeed attuned to the Arkendish) is to cite him as another commoner (Charlie is an Overlord, not a King) favored by the Titans in a way denied to Ansom. Push the buttons right, and Ansom could be provoked into severing that alliance, creating an opportunity to revisit the deal Parson offered earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Jack View Post
    Well now, Ansom's got some 'splainin' to do.

While I do not think this single stroke will be enough to dissolve his coalition, I do think that Parson has managed to lay some effective groundwork towards 'sploiting the loyalty mechanic as well as diminishing morale. So long as he (Parson) can put up a strong showing in the next turn and inflict some serious casualties, the loyalty difficulties caused by Ansom's elitist outburst will be magnified. Doubtless, Parson will have further gambits in play to exacerbate those difficulties.
    If Ansom is goaded into doing something stupid and suffers another setback comparable to the Dwagon Donut Decoy, that would naturally exacerbate any morale problems. It would also create an obvious opportunity for Parson to needle him again next turn ("So, how's that 'smarter' thing working out for you?")
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-26 at 05:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

An interesting point that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Parson hasn't let on that he is anything other than a dumbass troll who blindly follows Stanley. I don't think Parson will let it be known that they are actually dealing with anything other than subpar leadership in Stanley's camp. That will make his failures against Stanley seem that much more infuriating, since he can really blame nobody but himself when there isn't anyone intelligent on his opponent's side.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

One possibility a couple people have mentioned (assuming Charlie is indeed attuned to the Arkendish) is to cite him as another commoner (Charlie is an Overlord, not a King) favored by the Titans in a way denied to Ansom. Push the buttons right, and Ansom could be provoked into severing that alliance, creating an opportunity to revisit the deal Parson offered earlier.
    Given Charlie's overtures of sympathy to Parson, it has also been forwarded by a few folks that Charlie intends (or at least desires) precisely that course of action on Ansom's part. Charlie depends too much upon his reputation for him to risk being seen as betraying Ansom, but if Ansom is the one to sever that connection, Charlie has every reason to throw his support to Parson.

If Ansom is goaded into doing something stupid and suffers another setback comparable to the Dwagon Donut Decoy, that would naturally exacerbate any morale problems. It would also create an obvious opportunity for Parson to needle him again next turn ("So, how's that 'smarter' thing working out for you?")
    Worse yet, "So, how about that divine mandate from the Titans? Still think that you're the one they're backing? You can't even get the Arkenpliers to unlock their secrets for you. Maybe you should ask your commoner buddy Charlie how he managed it with the Arkendish? Since he's the one with the Tool, shouldn't you be working for him?"
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

17. - Top - End - #137

A thought: Ansom thinks he's found "a main garrison stack" in the tunnels. He got that impression because Parson set it up to look that way.

Now, Ansom is enraged and determined to put this "Lord Hamster" character in his place... by going in in force and wiping out one of his main garrisons, perhaps...?

18. - Top - End - #138

A thought: Ansom thinks he's found "a main garrison stack" in the tunnels. He got that impression because Parson set it up to look that way.

Now, Ansom is enraged and determined to put this "Lord Hamster" character in his place... by going in in force and wiping out one of his main garrisons, perhaps...?
    I've been trying to figure out the deal with the Main Garrison Stack myself, particularly since Ansom uses that information to infer that the tunnels are underdefended (rather than massively fortified, as you might expect if they have powerful troops there). My best guess is that maybe Ansom believes that the Marbit scouts made it all the way through the caves to the city itself, in order to encounter the powerful stack? If so, that would imply that there were no other defenses of note, and that therefore the route is far superior to attacking those same Main Garrison Stacks on the fortified walls.

We, on the other hand, know that Parson deliberately sent Sizemore out with those golems to find and destroy the stack, and also that part of why the stack hit so hard was the presence of the Dirtamancer, not necessarily the inherent power of the other units involved. Therefore, it's safe to assume that many traps and defenses remain between the location where the Marbit scouts were destroyed, and the city itself.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    I've been trying to figure out the deal with the Main Garrison Stack myself, particularly since Ansom uses that information to infer that the tunnels are underdefended (rather than massively fortified, as you might expect if they have powerful troops there). My best guess is that maybe Ansom believes that the Marbit scouts made it all the way through the caves to the city itself, in order to encounter the powerful stack?
    Parson's instructions were to ignore all scouts BUT the one that got the closest to the city. That's why they feel the area is under defended. Because all of the other scouts encountered minimal or no resistance.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, I think the course is clear. Rob and Jamie need to update 6 times a day from now on.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quality over quantity. Always.

Especially since great strips like this result.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Damn. Good. Page.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    Parson's instructions were to ignore all scouts BUT the one that got the closest to the city. That's why they feel the area is under defended. Because all of the other scouts encountered minimal or no resistance.
    Yes, but then why not ignore that one too? And if it wasn't going to be ignored, then why hit it so hard? How does hitting it hard make the defenses seem weaker?

The best explanation I can come up with is that Parson wants to make it seem like that stack has reached a city hex, defended by the main garrison. If the scouts can make it that far before combat, then it is an ideal invasion route.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Am I the only one who thinks Parson just made all that up at the moment? That its just a bit of verbal sparring before he really gets to his crowning moment of awesomeness?

I mean, he may of thought that Ansom would be touchy about nobles, but who plans on someone they've never talked to freaking out over almost nothing?

Ansom is the one that brought up titles and nobility, and Parson just played off of it. Between panel from panel four to five, I can just say parson saying

"Oh riiiight, the royalty thing"

(Maybe I can use this against him?)

"It's obsolete, y'know?."

And cutting off Ansom at the same time.

After all, he's worse then a D&D player, he's an Anti-D&D player, used to not only players justifying killing townspeople is lawful good, but also used to subverting them and making games impossible to win without such means. He could prolly come up with five good reasons that the Arken Tools are used to bring down people who find them, by making them act stupid, or claiming that he's sent from the Titans themselves.

I really think Parson came up with the "Royalty is last weeks" on the spot, and the real awesomeness is yet to come.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    Yes, but then why not ignore that one too? And if it wasn't going to be ignored, then why hit it so hard? How does hitting it hard make the defenses seem weaker?

The best explanation I can come up with is that Parson wants to make it seem like that stack has reached a city hex, defended by the main garrison. If the scouts can make it that far before combat, then it is an ideal invasion route.
    Basically, yes. But Ansom's forces will, most likely, be drawn into one big or multiple small Killzones that will be blocked off when specific tunnels are collapsed by Sizemore. Ansom is being goaded into thinking A) a major breakthrough is near and B) he is even more motivated to push through to the city to end this challenge to his authority. He merely hated Stanley for breaking the Rules; Parson suggested the Rules that are in Ansom's favor are to be outright discarded.

Or, the tunnel garrison IS weak, but access to the city is to be cut off by Sizemore when the Coalition's main forces get close to them. During the long trek back, with nothing to show but a few piecemeal victories over throwaway forces held as bait by Parson, Parson sends out a large group with some task involving wreaking havoc on the feint surface forces, or a breakthrough force designed to penetrate the surface lines and hit something in the rear -- possibly a Leader Unit or the remaining siege.

Parson is shaping the battlefield well before Ansom; both the direction and tempo of battle will be almost entirely controlled by Parson. By tempo, I mean that the tunnels will become more of a maze, that will disable any ability by Ansom to react and rescue other forces, whichever units Parson chooses to strike.

Should be interesting.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RubberBandMan View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Parson just made all that up at the moment? That its just a bit of verbal sparring before he really gets to his crowning moment of awesomeness?
    Maybe, but I think Parson intentionally set up the bait for this when he said "You're my enemy Ansom" with no title. He had set the tunnel trap but he was not sure that Ansom would not follow the more conventional battle plan. A furious Ansom will try to win the battle in the next turn, and Parson will get another chance to recover Wanda. I want to see Wanda in full combat gear.

I think that the unease with the non-royals in the coalition is a side benefit but it was not Parson's main purpose. Of course he can try to explore that in GK's next turn but we don't know if he is aware of the reaction from the others.

Charlie's angle as suggested by SteveMB is an interesting one but Charlie is a business man (woman?) who is likely to stick to his/her contract, although it is possible Charlie will ask for a higher fee.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-03-27 at 01:22 AM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabra View Post
    Or, the tunnel garrison IS weak, but access to the city is to be cut off by Sizemore when the Coalition's main forces get close to them. During the long trek back, with nothing to show but a few piecemeal victories over throwaway forces held as bait by Parson, Parson sends out a large group with some task involving wreaking havoc on the feint surface forces, or a breakthrough force designed to penetrate the surface lines and hit something in the rear -- possibly a Leader Unit or the remaining siege.
    Woah. You're right. He can either lead them into the tunnels, which is just a death trap or extremely favorable grounds to fight on, or he could lead them into the tunnels, only for it to end up as a dead-end and main force down there to realize it too late while he has some means of annihilating the rest of the siege. That would cripple the coalition's siege of gobwin knob.

I'm not sure which I'd like more- having Parson play his opponents and watching Sizemore the dirtamancer wreck havoc in the tunnels or having parson REALLY play his opponents and watch him crumble the coalition from the inside with destruction of it's leadership and a tactical stalemate.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by RubberBandMan View Post

I mean, he may of thought that Ansom would be touchy about nobles, but who plans on someone they've never talked to freaking out over almost nothing?
    Parson already knew that it was a major issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Parson, Klog 9
    (Comments on royal and noble units and royal empires)
    This is what they are so anal about. It's a "divine mandate" to rule. When a non-royal gets powerful, the royals like to gang up on him.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Parson already knew that it was a major issue:
    also, We don't know exactly what wanda said
    Last edited by zeropsm; 2008-03-27 at 06:53 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabra View Post
    Basically, yes. But Ansom's forces will, most likely, be drawn into one big or multiple small Killzones that will be blocked off when specific tunnels are collapsed by Sizemore. Ansom is being goaded into thinking A) a major breakthrough is near and B) he is even more motivated to push through to the city to end this challenge to his authority. He merely hated Stanley for breaking the Rules; Parson suggested the Rules that are in Ansom's favor are to be outright discarded.

Parson is shaping the battlefield well before Ansom; both the direction and tempo of battle will be almost entirely controlled by Parson. By tempo, I mean that the tunnels will become more of a maze, that will disable any ability by Ansom to react and rescue other forces, whichever units Parson chooses to strike.

Should be interesting.
    Deciding on his own steamrolled tactics could easily negate most of Parson's advantages. There are strategies on how to deal with cleverness when you have overwhelming superiority. As in: breaking off all communications with enemy to avoid subversion, mixing up your forces or commanders to avoid subversion from within and claims of racism, steamrolling in one way to avoid PR losses elsewhere, just attacking everywhere like rabid so everyone is doing their part and to maximize enemy losses...

Ansom 'ransom' should really put on blindfolds and 'duh duh'/slam his brow into the walls with his skull until it breaks. He can afford to think simplistically like Grant did. All the Union generals used to fear Lee until Grant came along and told them not to and just hold their lines and do their jobs responsibly, thus letting numbers come to bear over tactics.