New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Auromar: Light and Dark (IC 3)

Hist

Fair point on Kjapp. And we'd have to come up with some kind of excuse as to why we want to celebrate, and we'd have to satisfy the guards as to why we wanted to celebrate immediately after a prisoner escaped....

He olds a hand to his head, in mock thought, then smiles.

Heh. It's a shame, but we'd probably best forget the idea. I was only half serious anyway.

Don't bother contacting Anura. If the curse is here, teleportation can't be relied upon. Best to find someone in the local community.

But I'm not sold on the idea of paying for it yet. Hmm.... I wonder....

With that, Hist sits down on the floor, and starts to go over what they know of the curse so far in his mind, trying to get a firmer idea of how it worked.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+15)[24]Knowledge, arcana check on what we know so far to try and establish how the curse is working here, as described by the spirits and Grazys; using that to try and gain better understanding of if/how it could be broken without loss of life.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid scratches his head contemplatively.

"Paying for it"? What is the "it" that you seek, Hist? I don't think I understand.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist opens his eyes, and looks up from his contemplation

Answers, Reid. I've already had to pay good money for a mage's knowledge in Eras, and for now would prefer to try and get the curse clear in my mind, and see if I can work out a solution before running into any more possibly mercenary sages.

He smiled before returning to his contemplations.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The curse is tied to each individual spirit, tying them to the town, and keeping them from leaving, even when they take a host/partner by weakening the body. So the curse isn't completely gone from the living, even if Grazys can't sense it anymore.

Reid did share with the spirit of Rico before Rico moved on, so a good idea may be to have Reid attempt to leave town, see if he has the curse energy as well and if it weakens him.

If it doesn't weaken him, Reid might be able to send the rest of the roaming spirits in the same manner as he previously did with Rico.

As for those who live and share, you're not certain how that could be resolved.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Rising, Reid slips into his packsack.

Well, I'm certainly up for more conversation, but would you mind if we did it while walking? The only people in town we know who are both experts in this curse, and have some experience with the powers of magic are the priests back at the temple of Pelor. Perhaps they can guide us onward to other practitioners. My feeling is that, if they think that we are trying to help end this curse without hurting anyone, no one's going to be charging us for their advice.

I hope.

Besides, if the temple is one that used to belong to the priests of the One, it's as likely as any place to have clues as to the nature of the curse.

Unless there are objections, Reid will lead whoever is willing back with him to the Temple of Pelor.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

True enough. It's worth at least a try. And Reid?

Hist rises, the beginnings of a plan forming in his mind.

I'm afraid I know very little about the magic of the gods. Could you become invisible, and fly, under your own power?

He smiles

Just a... little thought on my part.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid pauses to think.

Well, for short periods, I could certainly walk on air, or bring in help to fly, if the black fly was needed elsewhere.

But Pelor is a source of light. Hiding is not in our nature.

May I...ask what you are considering? Because I've been thinking about what you said - about how trying to leave might get us put in prison. I...do not believe that a jail cell such as the one that they put Kjapp into would hold us for very long.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Of course not. But if we did break out... well, people might not be so happy to see us again, and would probably hand us back to the guards. Unless you feel like a lot of sprinting, or killing the bodies of innocents, it might not be best to tip our hand just yet.

He smiled, before continuing

Anyway, thanks to the ritual, you are apparently linked to Ricco somehow. I'm not entirely sure how that worked, but... well, the process would probably involve the transfer of the curse energy that sustains the spirits. That would explain why Grazys can't sense it in those spirits that are tied to a host.

He ploughed swiftly on, before Reid could say anything

The spirits are tied to the town, right? By the curse. If they can be tied to a host as well, moving the host away from the town might break the link of the curse that holds it, and them here. Spirits go on to a better place, I drain the curse energy, then get rid of it, and settlers have their body back. Everybody wins.

It's the best way I can think of. There are one or two other ways we might go about breaking it, but none much more promising. If the curse is weaker, I might be able to draw it out directly from the mortal hosts, but... well, I really don't know what effect that would have on the attendant spirit. Could be fine. Could destroy it's soul, leaving it without a chance at afterlife. Just don't know.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid smiles.

Ah. Good point, about the jail cell. I suppose that that would seem un-neighbourly.

Rico and I were bound together, but only for a few hours. Unfortunately, because of the between-worlds state of his being, there was little that I could say to him until we completed the ritual. And by that point, my mind seemed empty of questions, and he didn't seem to have much to say. I suppose that, if I were to complete the ritual again with another spirit along for the ride tomorrow, they might also be able to pass on, but it doesn't help anyone who is more interested in finding a life here.

He holds up his hands defensively, looking at Draven.

Not that I'm trying to start that conversation again. My point was simply that I feel no link with Rico now. Boris had suggested that when a conjoined townsperson left the town, they started to feel weak - my assumption was that that weakness affected both body and spirit.

About this draining away of curse energy. Can you sense the flow of the curse's here? If you can drain away the energy slowly, why don't we find a volunteer whose sharing spirit is willing to take the risk - perhaps someone who has already lost those closest to them?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist listens to Reid's tale of what happened with Ricco

Hmm.... But; if he has ascended, then he's lost his link to the curse, right? What happened to that energy? Might have been broken by the travel. Might it still be tied to you?

That's what I was thinking off. If you leave the town, we might have a better idea of just what happened here.

And what Boris said seems to back this up. The link would be drawn to breaking point. It's what happens after they finally get passed the town that is intriguing.

As to those who wish to lead a new life.... Fair enough, let 'em go on, but for one problem. This is very powerful magic at work here, cast by a god that liked to think he had a sense of humor. I'd be surprised if it actually worked this well, for the long term, without some sort of side effect.

And a certain archfiend is looking for the curse. And is unlikely to share our inhibitions about slaughtering the entire village to make sure he gets what he wants.

So, two problems. And neither leaves good results for the village.

Hist sights.

I can't sense the curse. But if there is energy behind it, I can try and draw it off. I haven't tried anything like it before, but I think I'd be able to.

But draining spirits... I'm not sure you quite understand the risk there. If it did affect the spirits... well, it'd possibly be the equivalent of darkest necromancy, and might leave the spirit totally destroyed. Shattered into a thousand pieces. No chance of reaching the afterlife.

Of course, it might be fine. The only real way to know is, as you say, to experiment. But are we really entitled to take that risk?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dothen

Dothen, who has been following along a few steps behind pipes up I think that if we don't start experimenting soon then someone might just start killing these folks. I mena wouldn't that be the easiest way to release the bound curse energy? Then where are we? I think that we need to free these folks, even at the cost of the free spirits, so that those who are alive can live. If some fiend comes along and starts killing them both sides are dead and lost not just one. He doesn't seem very happy with the thought but more resigned to it than anything else.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

But the curse is tied into the existence of all those spirits. Absorbing the energy could also absorb the spirits; and the dispersal would destroy their souls. Could leave them with no chance at any other existence. No second life, no well earned rest. They'd just... cease to be.

His eyes cloud over

I'm just not sold on taking that gambit. On rending the souls of an entire village, if I'm wrong. Or who knows what? This is just my best guess. Anything could happen.

Hist sags down for a moment, looking at the floor. Then, he speaks again.

If you guys want me to, I'll try it. I've killed before, but not destroyed people this utterly, greater good or no. And.... But I'll put my trust in your judgment.You are my friends, and have not lead me wrong yet.

He doesn't look comfortable at this, but seems resolved to his decision
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

13. - Top - End - #163

Dothen

I'm not trying to push you toward doing anything that you feel is wrong. That's not right fer me to be doing. Dothen sighs, I miss Anura, her wealth of knowledge would help magnificently.

Maybe if we find some spirit in town who would take the chance with us.

Wait a sec.

I think I have an idea, maybe tonight we can call a meeting with the free spirits in town. See what they say. What about that?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid scratches his head. This was not NEARLY done.

I guess I think of it this way, Hist. The inhabitants know that leaving town weakens them - and we know that, even though there were people who were dedicated explorers among them, and that there are plenty of reasons to want to head back to Eras for supplies, they've all stayed here. Therefore, I consider having someone under the curse dangerous.

You're suggesting that draining the curse out of someone is more dangerous. You were closer to me than anyone when I underwent the Radiente test, and suggest that I may have the curse energy still in me. Certainly, no one felt the curse energy go, right? So...

He taps his own chest.

I am the perfect volunteer for this experiment. Drain me. Drain the energy from me. If it doesn't work, we can always go ahead with a conversation with the free spirits tonight. Although I'd very much like to find a way to converse with them that also allows them to maintain their own volition.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

But...

Hist was silent for a moment, before speaking again, as the myriad assemblage of problems presented itself.

If Ricco has ascended, then there are two problems. Firstly, we don't know if you are under the curse. That's why I suggested the idea of you moving beyond the settlement. If you started feeling weak, we'd know. I can't sense it, and I think once in humans, it can hide from Grazys' sight.

And second... well, it wouldn't establish what effect the draining would have on a spirit. That's what is truly worrying me. It almost certainly wouldn't have any ill effects on the original host.

As to communicating with the spirits... well, at night, it should be easy. Your spirit travels to their realm somehow. It's a good idea, but be careful. The further you travel from your body, the weaker you are. And they are tied closer to the curse, and the town. If they do become hostile, I'm not sure if I could do anything.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

I understand that we don't know whether I've got any of the curse energy. But the absence of a second spirit makes this the perfect place to try it out, since there's no second spirit to harm. And I'm not at all convinced that leaving town doesn't harm the host, since we don't know what harming the spirit does to the host.

So, again, I ask you to try your curse-draining on me now. What have we got to lose?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Shaking his head, Grazys stands up and stretches, arching his back in the process. "Ya mean 'sides a friend?" He looks at Reid. "I don't like it. Ya've got somethin' ta go back ta, 'member? Don't take foolish chances. Me on tha other hand, I got nothin' but ya three an' Anura. Lemme see if I can find someone ta share with who's willin' to take the chance of an indeterminate afterlife. It'll be little different from bindin', but I don't 'spect it ta get away from me. I'm fairly strong-willed, an I'm a bit used ta sharin' to one degree or another, anyway. I'll be tha test."
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

It won't harm Ried. I'm prety sure of that. The only person who it might harm is an extra inhabiting spirit, and if Ricco is indeed gone...

He sighed

Very well, Reid. I'll try it.

He finally stood up

I have minimal idea as to how this works. It should be the same as when I draw upon my own power, but.....

Muttering to himself, Hist placed on hand on Reid's chest, and focused.

I'm tampering with the power of a god. This can't be a particularly good idea. I'm working only on my best guess. Anura would throw a fit.

This can't work. It won't work, if he's got the curse or not.

He continued to stand there, hand in place, his mind trying to break the habits of a life time; reaching out, calling for any fragments of power, trying to control them as though he was drawing upon the font of energy within his own soul.

But instead of focusing inward, he focused on Reid, trying, only half knowing what he is doing, to draw upon any energy of the One's curse that remained within the cleric.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-04-14 at 01:08 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Standing to brace himself for, well, whatever, Reid holds up a hand at Grazys' offer.

You are kind, friend, but this shouldn't hurt me. Either there is residual energy from the curse inside me - which, naturally, I would rather NOT have inside me - or there is not. Either way, we have an opportunity to test Hist's theory in which he acts as a kind of lightning rod for the curse-energy - at a time when we aren't faced with a now-or-never situation, and the amount of the energy is clearly not enough to kill someone - or else everyone here would be dead.

I'd much rather find out now than when we're breaking into some sealed off bunker...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Reluctantly, the binder nods. "Fair 'nuff. Doesn't mean I like it, though."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about not spotting your post Gimli, only just saw it.

I'll edit in a reaction on Hist's part in his first post. Hold a moment.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

A black aura flecked with gray flares to life around Hist's hand touching Reid, and then Reid begins to shine with a holy white light. Inside Reid's aura is a small blackness that moves through Reid's aura towards Hist's hand.

The blackness in Reid's aura passes from him into Hist's hand, and Reid feels a momentary weakness as the blackness passes out of him.

The energy passes into Hist's hand, still cloaked in it's own aura. The aura seems to lighten a shade, before breaking apart on it's own in a cascade of dark energies.

Grazys:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scar on your back twinges, and you feel blood run down your back. "Your oath, mortal..."

You've taken 1 point of Con and Str drain.

Anyone who can make a DC 20 spot check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The back of Grazys' shirt seems to turn a deep, dark red.

Spot DC 28:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's actually blood soaking his shirt.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist sweats as the process continues. He closes his eyes as the small blot of Pygas' energy appeared, seeming to direct it with his mind.

He could feel it; the power of the curse, as it flowed on iit's course, at his direction. It was like... a spark? A blackened diamond?,,,, No, he couldn't discribe it. It was black. But... it's magnificence, if only in a tiny way....

He flinched at the thought, and continued with the exercise. As the energy came to him, he opened his eyes, in time to see it shift, slowly, and then break up..

The warlock stood stock still for a moment.

Then he fell to the floor, seemingly oblivious to everything for a moment, with what was more utter surprise at succeeding than actual exhaustion.

It.... worked?

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[16]Spot check
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-04-14 at 01:28 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

24. - Top - End - #174

Dothen

Dothen watches in interest.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+13)[24]

Dothen reaches for Grazys You okay?
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-04-14 at 01:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

As Hist drains the Curse energy from Reid, Grazys' eyes widen in shock and pain. "Aah!" The binder lets out a small whimper and doubles over in pain.

With a little difficulty, Grazys straightens up. "Damn. I'll be okay, I think. Well, if I'm party ta this dissipation, I'll hafta get used ta some pain. Tha Scholar wasn't pleased, by the way."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

The warlock rises quickly at Grazys' cry, the sound being enough to stur him from the floor.

Blood and damnation.... I should have thought.... Grazys, I'm sorry. We should have gotten you outside at least before trying this. Though with an archfiend, I don't know if that'd be enough.

Not to mention there was hardly any energy there. About as small a fragment as is possible, really. I can bare it easily, for now at least. If that's his reaction to such minor treachery...

He leaves his words unfinished, but it isn't hard to notice that dark energy is flowing around his hands. Hist doesn't seem to be aware of it though, it seems more like a reflex action than anything.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Giving his friends a weak grin, Grazys shakes his head. "Nobody's fault but mine," he says, in a near-sing-song style. "It was my deal, and I forgot. At least now we know tha answer ta another question: How much involvement can I have? It seems not a whole lot without consequences. But they're my burden to bear for tha choice I made. I'll manage." Wearily he moves to an empty bed and sits down.

His smile twists slightly, now one of self-deprecation. Damn-fool! Pay attention! Can't stop this mess if you die too soon! he thinks to himself.

Looking back up to the others, his normal smile returns. "I've a few ideas on how ta maybe bypass such...reminders next time. Maybe some mental blocks of sorts, based on binding Haures. We'll see."

After another moment, Grazys sits up straight and winces. "I think I should change my shirt." Chuckling, he gingerly removes the stained shirt and drops it to the floor, revealing a gleaming mithral shirt underneath.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-14 at 02:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Coming out of his stunned state at the transfer of the curse to Hist, Reid glances about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+11)[24]

Noticing the splotch across Grazys' back just after Dothen does, Reid also gathers around the binder. His face is a plowed field of concern.

And you were worried about me, selfless one.

He slowly, methodically begins an examination of Grazys, trying to determine the nature of the effect of the curse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would a spellcraft check be appropriate, Lochar? He's got a +10. Just let me know if I figure out whether it's ability drain.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-14 at 02:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check DC 18 would reveal it is ability drain of his health and his strength.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

The binder looks at Reid with a strange expression. "Selfless? Me? That's not somethin' I've heard before now. Thanks, mate!" Grazys grins.

"As far's my current issue goes, I dunno what ya can do. It's a wound of tha body and spirit more'n just a wound, ya know? I'm a little weaker for it, but I'll manage."