New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars D20 - Freelancer(IC) Act 2

Coming back around the ship back toward Kera he reports, well captain we have salt and grime stuck in the landing gear that we need to ether blow out with some compressed air or some pressurized water.
    here's the link to the mando'a language

Character links

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaff, Trill, and Nate stay at the ship and monitor the refueling and replenishment of the water supply.

Kera, Corran, and Daine head into the city. Soon enough they are accosted by groups of youths. Some beg for credits. Some beg for food. Others just seem awed by the newcomers and reach out to touch their clothes or blaster or arm. The children are mostly Human with several Ryn and Omwati mixed in.

The city's demographics seem to mirror this with the exception, that a large number of S'kytri adults are in the city. Of course, near the space ports and market places the number of species and the diversity of clothing and languages increases dramatically.

Near the spaceport exit are some other children holding signs advertising various merchants and services that are available. The official placards mounted on the walls direct the team to the marketplace level.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

"Back off," is all Kera says to beggars, pimps, punks, and anyone else who wants to invade her personal space without an invitation. The first order is to get rid of the salts, so it seems like it's time to start asking around once they get to an area with merchants of one kind or another.

{Should we do Gather Info?}

4. - Top - End - #34

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine frowns slightly, pushing his way past the throng of people. His hand drops to his blaster, not to draw it, but only to wrap around the back end of it to make sure it stays in its holster. "More populated than I was expecting," he comments quietly to the others as they move through.

Spoiler
    Show

Well, if we need gather info for it: 1D20+1 = [12]+1 = 13
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.
    Santanya: Its an addition. I need my fix.

5. - Top - End - #35

Like Daine, Corran hand automatically drops to his blaster in response to the Vagabonds and beggars, to them all he say is Back Off we've got nothing for you..

Gather Information (1d20+1)[13]
    Last edited by Graybacca; 2008-04-23 at 06:11 PM.

Character links

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The youths back away and then rush over into a huddle to share what they've stolen(if anything from the team).

Corran, Kera, and Daine make their rounds through the merchants. Most won't deal with salt. They do locate two merchants who might purchase the salt. The first is human teenager with a heavily tattooed face and animal hide clothing. The second is an old Duros woman. Both want to know what kind of salt it is. The suggest a standard molecular scan for the chemical composition would be sufficient.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Kera pulls out her comlink to call Kaff: "We apparently need a molecular scan of our salt. Get Nate started on that. Who knows how long it'll take."

At this point, she shifts focus to find someone to sell the speeder to.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaff picks up right away and responds, "Aiy Captain. I'll get the little fella right on that. I'll send you the results once he's got them. Any luck with the speeders?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

To Kaff: "No, not yet. I'll let you know when we're on our way back to pick it up."

She looks at Daine and only half-rhetorically asks, "If you were the type of person who would buy a speeder that essentially qualifies as stolen, where would you hang out?" She looks around and starts walking in a likely direction.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera, Daine, and Corran wander the hallways of this city and eventually locate the seedier sections. They also come to a realization that, because the city is built into the cliffs surrounding a water hole, there aren't many speeders at all within the city. Those few they've seen have been the small scooter/speeder bike type.

However, up on the surface, speeders or aircars would obviously been needed to cover the vast distances between watering holes. So, they look for the seediest section of the city they can find near the surface.

Heading to the seedy section of town, they pass the a small republic guard station located right on the edge of the zone. The storefront is heavily armored and four stormtroopers linger outside.

Once in the zone, everything changes. Numerous illegal activities happen right out in front of you, or barely concealed in the narrow alleys. Eventually, they locate a Trandoshan calling himself Raul, who is rumored to be a kind of 'used' speeder dealer. The man seems to view himself as a minor crime lord, as he has a pair Trandoshan body guards with blaster rifles. The man himself seems to be a beefy Trandoshan and he wears a what appears to be a vibrosword. When the team enters his 'shop', he stands and approaches them snarling and hissing a greeting.

11. - Top - End - #41

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine smiles to the Trandoshan as they enter and he approaches. "Greetings," he says with a smile. "We had a speeder we were looking to sell, without many questions if at all possible," he begins, his smile staying as he looks straight into the man's eye. "I was wondering if we have the right place to bring it."
    Spoiler
    Show

Go go gadget illicit barter!
    Diplomacy + Illicit Barter = 1d20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Raul smiles a large grin filled with wickedly sharp teeth. The Trandoshan says, "Gee, I don't know what you are talking about." With a wink, he walks up and smacks Daine on the shoulder with a clawed hand and says, "Lets step inside and have a nice glass of milk."

The Trandoshan leads Daine away from the prying eyes of the street, and the Imperial listening devices, and into the back of the shop where Raul and Daine enter the world of illicit barter negotiations. In the end, based on Daine's technical description of the vehicle, Raul and Daine settle on 600 credits.

Raul says, "If your captain finds the terms acceptable, you may deliver the vehicle to these coordinates. It is an Utapau Beet Root farm. They will pay you on delivery."

While Daine is negotiating with Raul, Nate sends the scan results via commlink to Kera, Corran, and Daine.

Rough Salt Composition :
    Spoiler
    Show

60.2% NaCl
    12.2% KCl
    9.8% NH4Cl
    5.7% KF
    4.7% NaF
    3.6% KI
    3.2% FeS2
    0.4% NaNO3
    0.2% MgSO4
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-04-25 at 04:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

After hearing the the offer for the speeder Corran asks for a moment of the Trandoshan to see if he could get them a better price on the speeder, surely you could do a better then that say 1,500 cr.

Affect Mind (Suggestion) 4 vp (1d20+2)[5]
    Will saving Throw DC 10
    Last edited by Graybacca; 2008-04-29 at 11:00 AM.

Character links

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Raul grins at Corran and then gets dumbfounded look on his face and says to Daine, "Uh, yeah right, 1500 credits is more fair... if that is okay with you?"

The body guards tense up. They know something is wrong but aren't quite sure what and have a feeling things might get violent soon.

15. - Top - End - #45

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine perks an eyebrow as he looks to the man. "As... you wish," he says. "1500 credits it is. We'll bring it by." He glances towards Kera, a slightly curious look on his face and then shrugs slightly. Whatever the businessman wanted if that was the case.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Stick your hand in the tool chest without looking, and you might just lose your hand.
    -Captain Shanze

Kera gives a light frown. Sure, the guy is a criminal, and probably never pays close to what stuff is worth, but this just kind of sits poorly with her. Captain Shanze had been snookered by force users a time or two, and had learned from the experiences. Mostly what he'd learned is that whenever it happened, he ended up accepting a passenger whose fare didn't cover his expenses.

She nods, though. "Pleasure doing business with you." Offering her hand to shake, she does her best to meet his gaze and not let her misgivings show in her eyes. Then she turns and leaves, headed back to the nearest salt seller to get a price based on the composition Kaff sent.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Flick
    Elsewhere on the planet...
    A man of unimpressive height and impressive girth makes his way through the marketplace. He has an earnest look on his soft face. He darts as quickly as a man his size can inside a supply shop. He does a quick glance around the shop to gauge how many customers there are currently in the store. Knowing this to be a fair estimate of how well the merchant was doing and inversely how desperate he would be to deal. He quickly takes in a number of other minor factors only of interested to the trained trader (such as how clean the place is, how many other employees are present if any, how big the display cases are, the arrangement and order of goods).
    Spoiler
    Show
    'knowledge business' - (1d20+8)[14]

Greetings shopkeeper. I might have some wares you'd be interested in purchasing. I have the very rare, very tasty Klomidean Slime Worms. Considered a delicacy by over 8,000 lifeforms. I have only a few kilograms available still. Interested in buying the rest of the supply in the system?
    Spoiler
    Show
    'diplomacy in bartering' - (1d20+10)[15]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

KCD

Taking the delivery coordinates, Kera leads the team out of this district and back into safer territory. Weaving their way back around the city to the far side and down several levels, they arrive back at the merchants who were interested in the salts.

The old Duros woman accepts the scan data and says, "Unrefined salt cubes. There is some useful mineral content there, but it will be difficult to extract."

{{ Who wishes to negotiate a price? }}

Flick

The young merchant looks over the worms and inquires, "What have you been feeding them? They do not look healthy. In any case, I don't have the desire to deal with such things." He back away slightly and then offers some free advice, "Try one of the S'kytri restaurants. Birds like worms."

19. - Top - End - #49

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine smiles to the woman. "True, in addition to the basic salts that can be rather valuable in their own right in an arid environment," he says.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy for selling: 1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10

Well, it could have been much worse...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

The old woman says, "I should be able to handle some of them, but I don't want to fill my warehouse with these things." Eventually, having spent time negotiating she and Daine work out a price of 40 credits per cube for 20 of the 50 cubes.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Feeling dejected Flick decides to try one more shop before giving up on unloading his wares and concentrating on finding a way off this planet. As Flick enters the store he notices a party of three bartering with the merchant. I'll wait my turn
    He couldn't help but steal glances around the store taking in all the visual clues that might help him sell his exotic food. Flick was lost in his thoughts.
    Yeah exotic food what a great choice, these aren't hard to sell at all.
    Flick overheard them settling their negotiations. The merchant agreed to pay 40 credits for each cubic meter of salt. Did he just say for 20 of 50. That leaves 30 more cubic meters of salt. Anyone with that much salt must have a starship. Maybe they can get me off this crazy planet. Sebat would shove his own mother down the stairs for the much salt. He wouldn't snub my worms either. Now if I can only convince them to take me along.
    Greetings. If you can't find anywhere to take the rest of that salt I know just the place. Flick said as he produced his worms and other exotic food.
    Now good merchant do you know what tastes even more exquiste with just a dash of salt?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Revised Core Rule lists basic food as 10 credits/kg What would be the base price for the salt? So I know about what they should get for a 1m cube.
    Appraise Check - (1d20+8)[14]
    knowledge business - (1d20+8)[11]
    Profession Trader - (1d20+6)[14]
    Last edited by LarsWester; 2008-05-08 at 04:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

"Advice from strangers is like unlabeled soup. Might be good, might be bad, but you can't really tell until you try it, and then it's too late."
    -Captain Shanze

Negotiating is boring. Kera stands there, attention wavering as Daine and the woman discuss the merits of salt, something that is also boring. When someone walks over, she notices, and looks him over. She nods vaguely in his direction as they wrap up the discussion, and processes that some of the salts were sold, and they have to find a way to get rid of the rest still.

"Sure, salt is easy to sell,"
    she mutters. Figuring Daine has done the best he can by the way he's not really counter-offering anymore, she says, "Sounds good to me. Where should we take it?"

Once the instructions are given, she gives the stranger who steps up to do his own negotiating another once-over. If he really did know someone, and wasn't interested in trying lure them into a dark alley to get ambushed, then it was worth making a little effort to hear him out. While he chats with the merchant, she uses her comlink to call Kaff.

"Kaff, we have a buyer for some of the salt, so we're on our way back."
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2008-05-10 at 07:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman's warehouse is along the topside edge so that star freighters can land and make deliveries. She provides Daine with a transaction code to give to the droid at the warehouse who will transfer the credits and accept the salt.

The old Duros merchant woman smiles at Flick and says, "Ah.. Slime Worms.. are these Klomidean or Dromodgian?" She checks some information on her datapad as she ponders the transaction and waits for a response.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

These are the finest specimens of the Klomidean variety. Widely heralded as the finest of the slime worms. I have a total of 3 kilos of them that are available. How interested are you?
    Flick offers the worms up for inspection and begins the bartering process.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy for barter - (1d20+10)[27]
    His mind is still on the salt and his old acquittance Sebat. He'd love to get his hands on that much salt through off the books means. He quickly turns to the group of salt vendors.
    If you are still looking to get rid of that salt in an hour meet me in the cantina and we can discuss a possible buyer over a drink.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if this is needed or not. If not ignore.
    Diplomacy to change party's attitude towards Flick - (1d20+10)[27]

Flick turns his attention back to the Duros vendor and awaits her response.
    Last edited by LarsWester; 2008-05-10 at 05:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Well, he certainly knows how to deal. Must be some kind of trader. Kera nods a little. "We might just take you up on that." Then she turns and, waiting for Daine and Corran to start moving also, heads back for the ship, walking at a fairly brisk pace. Best to get this all over with as soon as possible. Besides, if this guy is on the level, then that meet is too good an opportunity to pass up. Doesn't mean she won't bring a gun, though.

Without turning her head to look anywhere other than where she's going, Kera says, "Corran, when we get offworld, we got a few things to talk about." Her tone is a touch grim, but there's little else to betray what she's thinking of.

26. - Top - End - #56

Corran for the most part let his mind wander while Daine did his negotiations with the salt merchant. Corran doesn't notice the other Trader come into the shop, until he started talking, as he listens to this Trader negotiate, Corran thinks, This guy sounds like a very good negotiator. when Kara is ready to move Corran follows along. Then Kara says to him, "Corran, when we get off-world, we got a few things to talk about." Corran wonders what he did but all he says is, As you wish, Ma'am
    Last edited by Graybacca; 2008-05-10 at 08:26 PM.

Character links

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

The merchant scans the worms. Satisfied, the old Duros woman agrees to 155 credits for the 3 kilos of worms.

Kera, Corran, and Daine make their way to the turbolift to head down to the landing platforms. While waiting for the lift, it occurs to Kera that Kaff never responded to her message.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Could be Kaff is just in the head. Nothing to panic about yet. Kera opts to call Nate instead.

"Nate, please respond. What is Kaff's status?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Several milliseconds after you stop transmitting, Nate's soothing voice comes over the commlink, "Kaff was functional when I last encountered him."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Lowering the comlink away from her face and ending the transmission, Kera rolls her eyes. "I should just ignore the droid unless I need to astrogate. I really should. Damn tin can. My dad had a navcomputer. None of this talking crap. You really do damn well get what you damn well pay for."