New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Kaleff Nefud

Whatever we do, Ismal, we better find some privacy soon. Azakan is probably right about the guards, and we got a couple staring us down right now. Can you suggest we take the interrogation this indoors?

Clapping his hands together the Zhan's voice takes on an uncharacteristic heartyness, "Excellent! Now thats been taken care of, why don't we all get a drink? Stand out in this rain too long and we'll catch our death of cold."
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2008-05-16 at 10:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Khorik points to a building up the street, a bit further and on the other side of the road from the slouching guards. It has a picture of a bunch of grapes, badly drawn, hanging outside. That looks like an inn.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's gaze lingered on Azakan.

"I was just looking for something. I'm glad to say I didn't find it. Kaleff, that's a wonderful suggestion, allow me to second it. Next time you wish to know my thoughts Lord Azakan, you need only to ask. Now, let's all go have that drink."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Forcing herself to relax a bit, Ismal glances at the inn. She shivers in the rain.

I'm happy to suspend this conversation, but I'd still like to go to see Orin first.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven nodded, and placed a hand on the beautiful sorceress's back with a smile.

"Fair enough. Let's go."

The rain continued to plink down upon his copper-colored mithral armor. Though it clearly bothered everyone else (well, except Azakan), it didn't seem to bother Draven much either. Perhaps growing up in the Ash Wastes had its benefits, after all.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan shrugs. Alright, you go ahead. I want to speak with Bren here. He gives the barbarian a piercing look. I guess Tharok can stay as well. We'll catch up with you.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner frowns at that, and glances distrustfully at the two Dar Ven
    What can they be up to? If they so much as draw on His Lordship...
    Finally, he sighs, and brushes his now sopping wet feathers back a little.
    Damn things.
    He clears his throat,
    "Your Lordship, if you'll consent, I'll remain at least within sight, if not within earshot. These streets are not safe," he finishes, rather diplomatically.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan doesn't say anything for a moment, but then grunts Alright. End of the street. I wouldn't worry about the guards hurting me. He looks at the guards at the end of the street, and shouts I think you should go somewhere else! There is another strange ringing in your minds for a moment, and the two guards shrug, and walk off.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven nodded.

"We'll meet you back at the inn then."
    Runa Redgrave

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal glances at Draven, and sends a grateful thought to him.

"I appreciate this. There's something strange about this story. I don't remember meeting Orin before our assignment, but it seems too, too strange a coincidence for our original reason for embarking to become such a focal point of this journey again.

Hells, I'm beginning to believe in this destiny nonsense myself.

She moves with the others who wish to come towards the guild hall.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner Kesh leans against a nearby building, his eye upon the noble in front of him, but his thoughts inward.
    Ismal's right, of course; but I'm not yet convinced about the prophecy...Azakan is in on it somehow. Is it possible he's set up another prophecy, this time working with Orin again? I lost track of both Orins after the explosion, and although Azakan says he doesn't want to be Emperor... I can't see a motive. But then again, I've never been much good at conspiracies.

12. - Top - End - #282

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

Seeing that Azakan and the Dar Ven mean to be alone, Kaleff lingers as long as he can, before walking off with the Shaman and the Sorceress. "So, how far off is this? And who exactly are we going to see?"

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven, Ismal, Khorik and Kaleff walk off up the road towards the centre of town, leaving Sumner leaning against a wall out of the rain.
    Sumner sees Azakan turn to Bren and Tharok and start talking to them in a low voice.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan says something to Bren and Tharok, and then Bren starts to talk, on and on, a stream of quiet, intense words. Finally, he finishes, and starts to walk towards Sumner. Azakan follows him, and whispers something. Tharok trails after them, and after a few moments they reach Sumner.
    Well, says Azakan, shall we hurry and catch up with the others?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner watches impassively as the trio continue their chat. Although curious, he knows better than to intrude.
    As they approach however, he straightens up and bows slightly to Azakan.
    "Very well."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

While Azakan and Bren are talking, Ismal, Khorik, Kaleff and Draven wander up the street towards the centre of town. They pass shops empty of business, and houses with the curtains closed. The town seems subdued.
    Would you three do me a favor? asks Kaleff. I'd like to gain some insight into the goings on, could you guide me as I pray? His eyebrows arch as he says the word 'pray,' implying that may not be the best word to describe his action. My thoughts may be elsewhere, and I wouldn't want to wander off, as this town in decidedly unfriendly. Throwing his hood up, the Zhan produces a small horn which he holds to his ear, giving it the majority of his attention as the group proceeds. Eventually, they see ahead of them, in the middle of town, a walled compound with towers rising inside. The walls seem to be covered in runes and warding sigils.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-17 at 06:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

"Though I'm no expert at your brand of magic... That sure looks like the Mage's Guild to me."

As they approach, Draven will look for an entrance.
    Runa Redgrave

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

They don't call it the subtle art for nothing. Well, actually, they don't call it the subtle art at all. Kaleff, given the town's attitude towards Davethrans right now, I don't suppose you'd take a shot at talking us in to pay our respects?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

You see that there is a huge set of doors in the walls, and also a much smaller door further along, that looks like a service entrance.

20. - Top - End - #290

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

"What? I'm sorry... um, sure. But are you sure they aren't suspicious of anyone who isn't one of them?" Clearly distracted, the scarred man tries to bring his mind to bear on his surroundings. "Yeah, sure," he says more definitively. "But tell me, why do you want to see Orin? How do you know him?"

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps Kaleff isn't in the right frame of mind to do the talking at the moment. I'm no Davethran - hopefully I'll be able to get us in."

The four's senses suddenly got ever so slightly duller, but their presence became weightier. With a smile, the Shaman stepped a few paces ahead and knocked on the large wooden doors. (If no response, he'll open them.)

Spoiler
    Show
    swtiching aura from senses to presence, granting +2 to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate
    Runa Redgrave

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal responds quickly to Kaleff quickly, before Draven knocks.

I may not have met Orin, but we travelled in the same social circles, and I knew his wife somewhat. If there are two of him wandering around, as the prophesy seems to suggest, I'd like to know which one is here. I'd also like to know what the demons did to him. Of course, I'd REALLY love to know why - why would Adornaxis care what happened to the boy-emperor? I certainly wouldn't have predicted any love lost.

Also, there was no love lost between my family and that insane toad of an emperor. If this man really did find a way to end that misery, I really would like to offer my respects.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I want to see him because we brought him here, says Khorik. I assume this is alternate Orin, rather than the real Orin, wherever he is. We captured alternate Orin and dragged him to Halgarth, so I feel partly responsible for his death...
    Draven knocks.
    The wood of the door twists into a large wooden mouth, which speaks. Who knocks and why?

Meanwhile, Azakan, Bren, Sumner and Tharok hurry along the road. They turn a corner just in time to see the mouth appear on the doors of the compound, which is about 300 foot down the road from them.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Not wanting to disturb Draven's conversation with the mouth, Ismal switches to mindspeech in response to Khorik's tantalizing comment. She includes the others in the sending:

"You kidnapped the other Orin to bring him here? Why? And how was he different from our Orin?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

The burly shaman raised an eyebrow at the talking door.

Neat trick.

He spoke with a bow.

"My name is Draven Kheldravan, a Shaman of the Grey Wastes. My companions and I wish to pay our respects to he who has slain the tyrant Ravan Zere. There are some among our group who knew him in life, and we humbly request entry to this grand enclave."

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy check, if appropriate: (1d20+5)[24]
    Runa Redgrave

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

We found him a prisoner, replies Khorik, on the other side of the Bitter Sea. We wanted to know what was going on, with him looking like our friend Orin. It turned out that he was an assassin. We took him with us to Halgarth, but of course we lost track of him when we... died. He seemed older than Orin, and as I said he was an assassin for hire. Not a nice guy.

There is a pause, then the mouth moves again, saying Very well, Kheldraven and company, you may enter to pay your respects. The doors swing open, revealing a garden courtyard. A path leads to a large, towered building, with another pair of doors.
    At this point, Sumner, Azakan, Bren and Tharok catch up with the rest of you.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven smiled and stood to the side of the doorway, gesturing to his companions, including the newly arrived.

"Well well. After you."
    Runa Redgrave

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Fascinating. Whenever I feel that my life has become unduly complicated, remind me to ask you questions about your past, Khorik. And I suppose I do mean that as a backhanded compliment.

Ismal glances over at Azakan, Sumner and the two Dar Ven as they arrive. If she has thoughts about what Azakan might have been pulling with his little delay, she keeps them to herself. She waits to enter with Draven.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

You head up towards the double doors, which open before you arrive. A young, spectacled man steps out, wearing a blue robe. Welcome to the wizard's guild, he says with a slight stutter. I'll take you to see the hero's body. He gestures you into the building, into a long corridor that goes past several offices, and then past several reading rooms. Eventually you reach a large hall. In the middle, on a stone slab, covered by a glass case, lies the corpse of Orin Stillwater. He is wearing fabulous robes in the Qusan style, and is bedecked with golden jewellery. You cannot see any wounds, but the robes are closed at the front, unusually for the style.
    Azakan sighs. Poor guy.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Imagine. Getting away with killing Ravan, only to be tracked here and killed by devils.

"There are ways to use magic to simulate death. I think I'll just take a moment to..."

Ismal murmurs a few forceful syllables, with a few simple passes - easily identified by the magically astute as the spell that makes one sensitive to magical auras.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting detect magic. Spellcraft (1d20+13)[28] to get specific schools.