New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Sumner looks carefully at his would-be emperor.
    Then, what did you plan next, before we met?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I was going to go to see some people out in the middle of Mahara... he sighs. But I won't be doing that now, I guess. I'll have to go and get that damned Imperial Crown from Ravan.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

The noblewoman is tense, standing near this man who might become the emperor Davethra deserved...or slide further into despair and doom. Not wanting to interrupt the suddenly very quiet drama between Azakan and Sumner, she directs her thoughts to Draven.

He admits to killing a king, in a village only a few hours from Ral Misari? He had it planned well enough that he was able to guide us to this spot at just the right time. Destiny swirls around this one, and destiny is not kind to those in its wake.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh (?)
    The tattooed warrior crosses his arms, thinking.
    "I see. I had not thought to make that your initial goal. Obviously your Lordship is very capable, however; not many could assassinate a king in his own capitol. If you mean to slay the pretender...then the Archmagi will have no reason to band together any longer, unless they know of your existence. Hmm."
    The feathers springing from Sumner's head rustle slightly as he nods to himself.
    "Your Lordship; When I entered this inn, you were surprised, and yet you were not surprised. "So it is true," you said. What did you mean? Have you heard a prophecy as well?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's head was beginning to fill. He turned his head slightly, casting a sidelong glance at Ismal, as he did so, his neck popped - the stout shaman was obviously tense as well. He opened his thoughts to her (and only her).

Indeed it does. I just hope we're not caught in that wake. This man has stones AND smarts. He could be our best friend, or our worst enemy. But a man who doesn't wish to be in command often makes the best commander. I think there may yet be hope.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't kill him myself, replies Azakan, tiredly, I hired some mercenaries. We cast a whole bunch of spells on one of them, and he flew invisibly to King Khadoth's castle and slew him. Unfortunately... he grimaces. There was a certain amount of, well, collateral damage. He doesn't answer Sumner's other question, just stares at his plumage intently. There is an awkward silence for a moment.
    Suddenly, the Dar Ven with the black shield and the stinking bag blurts out Are you the Paladin?
    I had a dream. I didn't think of it. Only shamans dream true I thought. But I wonder. It makes sense now.

And thus, the barbarian mercenary told of his dream:
    I saw warrior. He wore pelt of lion, or tiger. He wore crown of feathers, and had sword of stone..... uh.. you know, like a club, but with sharp pieces of rock. Not good for armour but very good for flesh. He wanders plain, all alone.
    He meets gazelle. Gazelle asks, "Human, are you alone, where is your herd?" "I am Paladin, i lost my herd" he said, "now i look for new one." "Oh you can join our herd. Is good to be big herd. Is safer." "Why is that?" he asks. And gazelle says "When predator comes, they take some of us. But you warrior, when they come, you kill them! And we will grow and multiply and rule the plain!" and he says "No, i can not do that. Predator must live too. They only take enough to feed young, then life is good." And he wanders on.
    Then he meets wolf. And wolf asks "Human, are you alone, where is your pack?" "I am Paladin, I lost my pack, now I look for new one." "Oh you can join my pack, is better that way." "Why is that?" he asks. And wolf says "You great hunter. You help us hunt many gazelles and we will be strong and many! Together, we will rule plain!" and he says "No, I can not do that. Prey must live too. You take enough to feed your young, not more. Or gazelle and wolf die both. But you humble yourself, then life is good."
    Then he meets lion. And lion asks "Human, are you alone, where is your pride?" "I am Paladin, I lost my pride, now I look for new one." "Oh but you can join my pride, is better that way." "Why is that?" he asks. And lion says "I am lion. King of plain. I take from gazelle and wolf alike. If gazelle grow too many, I eat them, so they do not eat the plain bare. And I take from wolf. If they take too many gazelle, I take away their kill and they must starve until they only take what they need. But I can not do alone. You can go check on wolf when I hunt gazelle and you can check on gazelle when I tax wolf." "Yes, I can do that. Predator and prey must have balance, then life is good. You bring balance, I help. This is noble task."
    And man helps lion rule plain. I do think he does good, dream didn't tell, but goes on.
    One day, man comes to lion, but lion is dead and vultures are eating him.
    And vultures ask "Human, your king is dead. You can join our flock, is better that way." Warrior grieves much but asks anyway: "Why is that?" "With lion gone, wolf will hunt gazelle as he wants and there will be much carrion for all vultures!" "But then gazelle die and wolf starve!" "Then we feed on wolf carcass." "But then wolf will be dead too!" "Yes, we feed on dead wolf." "But there will be no wolf left to feed on!" "Then we feed on other vulture." And man cries out: "But if you have it your way, no one will be left!" and he starts to swing his sword and cuts many vultures but many more just fly off.
    Then wolf comes from shadow... I just saw yellow eyes. "Human" wolf says "Lion is dead, what you do now?" "I don't know. My king is dead. I need new king." "But human" wolf says "lion cub is too young to be king. Vultures would kill him. And even wolf would kill him, for he wants to hunt free. And gazelle wants to kill him, before he grows up and hunts them. So what you gonna do?" And human considers and wonders and asks: "But you are wolf. Do you not want to hunt free?" and wolf says "I heard what you said to the vultures. If it goes vultures way, everybody dies. I want to live. If means, I must restrain my hunt, be it. Gazelle want to live too. If means, they must have number of them eaten by wolf and lion, so be it." And man thinks. And he says "You speak wisely. I will protect lion cub until grown up and he can be king."
    And then man goes to lion cub. Is powerful lion, but looks young and .. ah... not experienced. And man says "Lion, I will serve you, if you want me. I will protect you till you grow up and become king, like your father." But cub says: "I want not become like father! Father took gazelle and wolf whenever he wanted, even not hungry. He killed many more then pride needed and said, it was for the greater good! I not want to kill without reason!" And then wolf comes again and says: "But lion. You must keep balance. Balance is life, disorder is death." And wolf looks at warrior, with piercing yellow eyes and says: "Human, you must teach cub to keep balance. Is your duty!'"

And here the mercenary pauses for a moment.
    It was strange. From what dream said, what wolf says is true. But when wolf looked at me, I was very frightened, as if was very evil. Then I woke up.
    The mercenary points at Sumner. You look a bit like man in dream with feathers on your head. And Azakan is lion cub. And Tharok says, shaman had prophecy that evil force is coming from north, trying to turn king away from justice and to tyranny.
    It's true, nods the other mercenary.
    But that force is not Paladin, is something else. If dream is true. So... are you Paladin?

While the mercenary speaks, Azakan sits there with his eyes closed.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-25 at 02:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner listens with bewilderment at first to the Darven's halting Davethran, but he furrows his brow as he continues talking, taking in the tale. As the story goes on, Sumner's mind wanders a little; He'd had little use for parables when a point could be communicated very clearly without them.
    Another prophecy. One would think that there were nothing left to choice in the world any more. But a destiny you do not know is no different than no destiny at all.
    As the tale winds to a close, the plumed youth appears to think carefully.
    'paladin?' What kind of a word is that? Some Darven idea of an oathsworn, maybe.
    Gradually, Sumner becomes aware that a question is being asked of him. Somewhat anticlimactically, he shrugs.
    "How would I know? Your shaman would be a better judge of that, I'm sure. I know who I am, and I know my Ne'sha; names are immaterial, if that is known."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan laughs again. Ah, Ne'sha... I'm sure your friend has told you that.
    He sighs again. That dream is somewhat true... add in the fact that the lion cub belongs to the wolf, and the wolf to the lion cub. But then you've got to wonder whether the wolves are really necessary. Always remember, dreams of prophecy come from spirits. And not all spirits have your best interests at heart.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-25 at 03:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

All this talk of shamans. Ismal sneaks a glance at Draven. Hmm. Draven. Dar Ven. Coincidence?

Well, my Shaman? What do you make of his story? Yet another prophesy?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

The burly copper-clad warrior raised an eyebrow at Ismal.

Sounds like it to me. One of the key things to remember about it is that the Wolf is clearly acting in his own best interests - he's just obviously more intelligent than the Vultures and the Gazelles. Perhaps a larger Lion Pride would help things.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

A believe a larger and stronger lion pride is indeed what this meeting is all about.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as that pride doesn't serve the wolf... Count me in.
    Runa Redgrave

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

This is him. This is the emperor Imshaeroth wanted. Thank you, lord, that I was allowed to help craft him.

As Sumner and Azakan play out the conversation that was fated to happen, the Zhan's attention is drawn to the stinking bag of the Dar Ven barbarian. Activating his ring, Kaleff peers through the outer skin of the pack, before he scans the three opposite them, taking note of where they keep each of their weapons.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dar Ven mercenary listens to the replies of the strangers. Then he speaks again. There is more. I and Tharok, we were guided here by vision. We also met some people... uh.. not. We met... Mind Flayer who had killed people. Tharok kills Mind Flayer. We wonder if people are part of destiny?
    The mercenary goes on and takes off his backpack. He opens it and pulls out something from it, putting it down on the table in front of you.
    To your horror, it is a human head. The head of someone that Draven and Ismal recognise... Livina, the Mokai girl they travelled with. Except that there is a bloody hole in her head, and she appears to no longer have a brain, just a gory space.

Looking through the bag with his magic ring's power, Kaleff sees that there are other heads, one has slightly alien features, a woman with pointed ears. There is also the head of a young Qusan man, and a slightly older, red-haired man.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-26 at 08:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner's nostrils flare as the source of the carrion stench in the room is revealed, and he looks away. Wasn't that just typical of Darven?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry, Bren, says Azakan to the mercenary, but it doesn't look like I'm going to see those priests. But I imagine we should see some others, so you'll still be able to get them resurrected. It's just that there may be things demanded of them...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

The burly shaman's eyes went wide, then a pained look crossed his face at the sight of Livina Lightfoot's head, staring blankly at the wall in front of him. He hadn't always agreed with her, but in their short journey together, she had been a loyal companion.

"Livina... How did she die? What about the rest of her? Who else was she with?"
    Runa Redgrave

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner starts a little at Draven's reaction.
    "Did you know her?" he asked, surprised and sympathetic.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven nodded, his eyes still on the decaying visage of the flighty Mokai woman.

"Yes. She was one of the group I travelled to the inn with. As far as I know, she dodged the blast that sent us to hell. I just hope she's not there now."

He turned back to the Dar Ven.

"Her possesions... did she have an amulet on her body? A golden amulet?"
    Runa Redgrave

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dar Ven mercenary regards Draven's show of emotion with the same stoic expression he displayed so far.
    We travelled to ancient ruins. Vision told us to. We come across Mind Flayer. Is buisy eating brains of people, so Tharok kills it. There were four. We could not carry bodies, so we took heads and all we could carry.

Looking over at Tharok, he continues You took other amulet, right? Maybe is the one?
    Tharok gets out an amber amulet and a golden locket. There is these two, which do you mean?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven turned solemnly to Khorik. "You may want to have a close look, my friend."
    Runa Redgrave

22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

Gut wrenching, Kaleff's eyes linger on the bag, "So," he manages, jerking his head toward the bag "Who else do you have?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Khorik picks up the locket, and looks inside. His face darkens with rage. He looks up at the worried Tharok. No, it's not you I'm angry with. He sighs, and puts the locket in his bag.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

The shaman nodded as Khorik stewed in his anger.

"We'll find her. Eventually, we'll find her."

Finally, he turned to Azakan, extending a thick, gauntleted hand.

"Azakan, I don't believe we've formally met. My name is Draven Kheldravan, a Clansman from the Grey Wastes. You've spoken twice that I know of regarding your lack of interest in the throne... Are you reluctant because of the concentration of power that comes with the throne? Or do you simply not wish to lead?"
    Runa Redgrave

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Silent as the matter of severed heads is attended to, Sumner nods, realizing he has been lax with formal introductions.
    "Of course, of course. Your Lordship, may I present Draven Keldraven; a strong man, and a good man. May I also introduce the Lady Ismal Pennefar, who has also been extremely helpful. We were thrown together in...difficult times, and we found that we share some idea of what should change in the world."
    He glances at the angry Khorik, and then over at the wild-haired Zhan.
    "The rest of us you know."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven smiled to Sumner.

"Thank you, Sumner." He looked back to Azakan. "You might say we've been to hell and back together."
    Runa Redgrave

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan nods wearily at the introductions. Pleased to meet you. I think I used to know one of your brothers, Lady Ismal, back in Zardis. He waves to Bren. They wanted to see the other heads?
    Oh, yes, says the mercenary. Do you know those too?
    He proceeds to put 3 more heads on the table.
    The first is that of a red-haired Qusan. Well, he doesn't have much hair left... there is a gaping hole in his head, and you can see that nearly all of his brain is gone. You vaguely remember him from the Bronze Cauldron tavern, where you all met. This one was warrior. Had scale armour and shield, it had picture of fire bird on it. Also had mace.
    The next is a young man, also with no brain, like all of the heads. He appears to be Qusan, or maybe Davethran.
    This one was naked when we found him. Dunno why.

Finally, he indicates the pointy-eared head. She was wearing robes. Didn't have much stuff on her. She looks strange, you know who she is? His tone suggests that he rather means to ask 'what' she is though. Sumner can see some similarities between her and the Elf that he, Gareth and Orin once met.
    He furrows his brows and goes on. There was also dead mule. But not brain eaten. Dunno what killed it. There was chest on mule with much coins. We think, we take coins to pay priests to raise one of dead to learn if they part of destiny. Or just to spite Mind Flayer. That good reason all by itself.
    To demonstrate, the mercenary pulls out a few platinum coins from the backpack (with bloody stains on some of them) and shows them around. They have strange symbols printed on: on one side a large eye, on the other a tower, and words in some strange language that none of you can understand.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Introduced to Azakan, Ismal bows deeply, and then back.

doubtless, there are mysteries to be unravelled here, and I hope there will be time for all of them.

My Lord, if I may: When Sumner uncovered himself here, you did not seem all that surprised. All signs seem to point to a return by Gothul, yet Sumner seems quite certain that this is not the case. We have heard prophesies, and it seems that you had some advance knowledge of this as well. May I enquire what you may have heard - or sensed?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven sidled a little closer to the mercenary, a curious look on his face.

"You said you found a mace with the bodies? Would you mind if I had a look at it?"

If the Mercenary hands Draven the mace, he'll have a close look at it, heft it a bit, and speak the command-word that reliably brought the crackle of electricity to life on his old mace, trying to discern if somehow, it had found its way back to him.
    Runa Redgrave

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren turns to his fellow barbarian and asks That mace we found on girl, maybe is the one?
    Tharok searches around in his backpack, and brings out a mace. It is indeed Draven's old mace.
    Looking at the two mercenaries, you can see that they have many weapons. Tharok has his huge sword, and in the bag where he kept Draven's mace you can see a second one, while Bren has a wickedly barbed mace, a scourge, and a quarterstaff with strange runes on his back. And those are just the weapons you can see.

Azakan taps his fingers on the table, and grimaces. I haven't heard or seen anything particularly, except the interesting visions of my new Dar Ven friends.
    He suddenly stands up. Well, there's no point just sitting around here. To become Emperor, I first need the Imperial Crown. My brother Ravan has it. We need to get it off him.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-27 at 04:42 AM.