New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1867
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Kaleff Nefud

Rising to his feet, Kaleff stretches, not in the manner of one awaking from a deep sleep, but one about to perform a strenuous activity.

Depends, really. Do we really want to chase down Azakan and Gothul as weary as we are with our resources depleted? I have little else I can do today, aside from take us to our destination. Even after I've rested I would like to have better spells at my disposal to combat a god and his Illithid magic-using minion. What was I able to do? Throw some wire at him and run away? The Zhan shrugs helplessly, continuing aloud "No, I intend to be better equipped next time we face off. We need somewhere safe to rest and refill our supplies." And maybe get a second opinion. A curious, almost sly expression creeps into his eyes. Orin did have those reinforcements to call up, right? Lets see what everyone else thinks.

Motioning the others over to where he had been studying Kaleff tries adopt an attentive and open attitude. "Now that we have a way off this accursed island we should all decide where we are to go. It seems the priests of the Mokai want us to track down Gothul once more, but I doubt any of us would survive that encounter as we are right now. I am able to take us to Halgarth, or an equal distance from here. I can repeat that spell a second time, even, but have little left to offer after that. I believe we all need somewhere safe to rest and, perhaps, find provisions to sustain ourselves and perhaps break a god. Orin, you still have those... your friends you wish to raise? We should pick a spot carefully, as Azakan may be able to scry our location and come back for us. Where do you all say? I can't say I've been anywhere that fits that bill since tumbling out of that sea of chaos, and I'm sure things have changed a little bit in the ten years Sumner, Orin and I have been... insubstantial." A slightly disturbed look crosses his face. "It is disquieting that I can think of no place that would serve as a haven to us at the moment. At least no place I've been since I was a boy. This won't excite you, I know, but the islands of Zhan should prove reasonably safe. I would like the opportunity to speak with the priests of Imshaeroth. They would be able to destroy the ring and raise the dead, should we still wish to do so. If you do not wish to accompany me, I may still be able to take you to your destination, as it would take two castings to reach the isles."
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2008-09-03 at 07:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal almost laughs.

I'm in no hurry for a rematch either. If you say that this Halgarth is a safe place to recover ourselves, then I'm fine with that. If it's just a way-station - a safe place to be for a day - then it should be someplace you know.

She shifts to mindspeech to add, for Kaleff alone.

Regardless, it's unlikely that these priests will be coming with us, so I'd like to leave the crown here with them. You...didn't really answer me. What's troubling you?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #1113

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Not that I distrust them, just trust other priests more. And they can probably destroy the crown, too.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven shook his head, unsure as to what the best next move was. He turned to the Priest.

"Where do you think the best and safest place for us to recover and resupply is? Halgarath? The Zhan Isles?"
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal turns to Draven, but continues speaking with Kaleff.

Very well. If you have another priest in mind, I will trust you in this. Keep in mind, though, that Azakan will soon be able to find the crown, so it had better be a priest you can find quickly, once we teleport.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

Mok gar Ruk shrugs. Don't ask me. A big city if you want more supplies I guess? Do any of you have friends in any cities or towns? You might want to go somewhere that you could find out where the place that Gothul is going to is, this Zrek Kazal. You'll need to get there fairly quickly I'd think. He leans close to Draven, and whispers to him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would avoid the islands of the six-fingered ones. That is where their dark priests dwell... and the Zahn penchant for thievery is well known. Combine that with priests of their evil Gods, Imshaeroth, Isana, Ravir, and so forth, and it's probably somewhere you should avoid.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Still pondering her own recommendations, Ismal sends her thoughts towards Sumner.

How about you, Sumner? Recommendations? Are you coming with us?

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shrugs. "That isn't up to me. But if my opinion counts, I don't want to be left here."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

"I'd like to point out that Halgarth might be a place where we don't want to stay for too long. What with the kind of terms under which we parted from the wizards."

"Oh that reminds me: Hern? Did you ever recover your ...er... corpse?"

(Or more to the point: Did you reclaim that demon-slaying sword of yours? If not... Halgarth just might be worth a visit after all, don't you agree Lady Ismal? Sumner needs a new weapon and that fine piece of martial metal craftship might just fit the bill...)

"Which reminds me: Yes, yes i DO want to raise my friends again. It's only proper. To think that Livina died trying to raise the funds to bring back Draven and Ismal from the dead... Sir Krashnix had no obligation to help us at all and he still did. It's too bad that we couldn't retrieve Kizima's corpse. Granted, i didn't like her much but she still died saving us all from that bronze golem... *sigh* i should tell you that story sometime..."

"And if Imshaeroth is that evil, maybe he is just mercenary enough to accept a substantial donation of platin in exchange for allowing someone to escape from his hellish underworld..."

Quickly changing the topic, Orin goes on. "Of course i haven't been to Lake Stillwater since... oh... 16? 17 years? It's been a while. But i am supposedly the Magus Stillwater now, so i ought to be able to draw on our families heritage."

Suddenly Orin scowls "Ah damn. Didn't get to ask Azakan about my family. Again. Hope it won't be 10 years before i see him again."

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven sighed.

"Look, all this talking is giving me a headache. Or maybe I should say a WORSE headache. None of us really want to go back to Halgarath, and Ralm isn't going to be much fun either seeing as we were hired by Govan to bring you back to him, Orin." (Though, the thought of collecting that reward is getting more attractive by the minute...) "...I'm not exactly looking forward to explaining to him that we decided his mission was immoral. ...and other than going all the way out to the Zhan isles which is WAY out of the way, I see no way of getting dear Livina and your other friends resurrected, unless we seek the Druids known to my Clan, and they may want something other than money as payment, usually a favor, and not usually a pleasant one. But they ARE powerful."

"So we're faced with a situation that we really have noplace to go, except the Zhan Isles or the Wastes. I'd prefer the Wastes since I'm FROM the Wastes, and I'm thinking our quarry may be in that same direction. Mok gar Ruk, do you think it's safe to go down there into the crater and retrieve Sumner's sword?"
    Last edited by knewsom; 2008-09-04 at 03:03 PM.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

11. - Top - End - #1121

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

"Kizima?" Sad curiosity fixes Kaleff's attention on Orin for a moment, "So she is indeed dead. I wondered what happened to that explosive little woman." Mutely, he reflects on the halfling for a time. "Now, I do not want to force the issue, but I do very much want to see the land of my people. I have many questions I need to ask of the priests there, clarification of purpose among others. I believe there would also be ample opportunity to acquire the resources we need, or at least which would benefit us, there as well. Perhaps, if some od you do not wish to join me, we could ask the priests here to scry out the location of Draven's clan, and we could stop there on the way to the Isles. I'm sure you're as eager to speak to your elders about these events and I am mine, Draven. If you are satisfied with things, you may wish to stay, and the following day we can come by and retrieve you. Orin, I am assuming you wish to go see my priests, do you not?"

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

Hern shakes his head. I don't know what's happened with our bodies. He taps Draven on the shoulder, pulling him away from Mok gar Ruk, who is chanting now with the others. Before they were doing it in relays, with time between each bit, but now the Priests all intone at the same time.
    You don't want to distract him at this point, Draven. But don't worry. He pulls open a bag on his pocket, and brings out a rope. He puts the rope on the ground, and it wiggles all by itself. It crawls down into the crater, hooks around the Katana, and pulls it back out of the crater, as the ground sparks around it with red flashes. Hern hands Sumner his sword. There you go. And, well, I don't think you're going to be able to get them to scry for you. But if you teleport to Halgarth or some other town, I'm sure you could find someone to scry for you there.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-09-04 at 05:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin eyes Draven for a moment. "Sorry Draven. Didn't figure you to be someone to ask rhethoric questions. My bad."

"Yes Kaleff, i think i might want to speak to your elders and priests. Get their side of the story. About all those evil gods. And about the propernes, or lack thereof, of raising dead people. Yes, i think i shall be taking some interest in the divine soon."

"As for the location of the ruins... i don't know how well-stocked the libraries are on the Zhan isles, but i believe we might have a clue. A fairly famous battle happened on a campaign into dwarven lands. The II Legion was tasked with marching at that very city. Well, that one or a very similar named one at any rate. Now as they travelled through the wastes, the natives took offense. Apparently the baggage train suffered repeated attacks and the auxiliaries, who were meant to bring up the rear and protect it, were not up to the task. So troops were diverted and... anyway, they happened to enter the territory of some dragon and it's brood. Had a bunch of native minions too. The 1st and 2nd cohorts took heavy casualties from dragon breath, both from the great wyrm and it's young ones, before general Rogan gave the order to break formation. Eventually the ....er.. 'Vultures of War' managed to attract sufficient attention to them, that the warmages managed to cast some sort of mass fly spell or something on the elite officers of the legion. They took flight, swarmed the wyrm and hacked it to pieces in glorious battle. Only bits and peices ever touched the ground if the storyteller is to be believed. And after that, the natives routed and the wyrmlings were quickly slain."

"Apparently the wyrm's head made a nice trophy for the legion's standard for a while. It later got stolen, probably by some native barbarian dragon worshippers..."

"Anway, if we find some old military reports in that library, maybe we can track the movements of the II Legion and get an idea just where we have to go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case why anyone wonders why the Zhan would have records about Davethran troop movements... well.. they are rumoured to have records about pretty much everything, aren't they?

Lycar

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner watches quietly as Hern retrieves his sword with the magical rope, and when the masked warrior hands it to him, it almost seems as if Sumner will not take the blade. But then he reaches out a hand and takes it, bowing his head in thanks.
    With a heavy sigh, Sumner begins cleaning off the bloodstained blade, using a small cloth looped into his belt. But then he stops. He was so covered in blood (most of it his own) that cleaning anything he held was...self-defeating. He puts the sword away, and stands with bowed head as he waits for a decision to be reached on destination. It hurt less if you didn't move.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-09-04 at 05:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal smiled as Orin described the battle. Perhaps baiting others was a reflex action of sorts for him - something he couldn't help. The man was clearly too intelligent to not know.

The return of the sword that had come so close to ending Draven's life brought no joy to her, but she supposed that if Sumner were to redeem himself, he'd need it.

Very well, Kaleff. If you'll have me, I'll accompany you to this place of Zhan. I'm assuming this isn't planned to be a lengthy stay?

She took a final look over at the ritual in progress, and then over at Draven.

And you, love?

Preparing for what she hoped would be an uneventful visit, Ismal begins re-forming some of the enchantments on herself that had started the day. By the end of the process, she again had red scaly skin and yellow eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Mage Armour, Dragonsight and Dragonskin again.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-09-04 at 07:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1126

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

"I'm glad of that, Ismal, and as much as I do want to return there for personal reasons, I believe it is the one place we can go safely. Hunted through existence, we Zhan have become quite insular, and outsiders do not walk amongst our cities freely. While that may be a complication for us, it will also provide a buffer between us and any sent to hunt us. With the favor of Imshaeroth, not on myself only, but you too, Ismal, as uncomfortable as that may make you, our group should find a receptive audience with powerful priests to advise and protect us."

Something twitches, and the young Stillwater Magnus, A moment, Orin. Did you say Hern's body? Are our bodies still in Halgarth? With our possessions?" The Zhan's red eyes bulge trying to comprehend this. "Do you know where they are being kept? I would very much like to have a few items, should they have survived the blast."

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner, despite himself, looks up as Kaleff makes his observation about their corpses.
    "That's impossible. We're here; how can our bodies be in Halgarth? But if our possessions are there..." The warrior stands bolt upright, despite the cascade of agony it sends down his battered frame.
    "Then my father's swords are there! I must recover them!"

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

My body...is there. I've already buried myself once. Is this going to become a habit?

Ismal tried not to comment, but failed.

Certainly, but our bodies aren't going anywhere. Perhaps we could deal with the re-emergence of a demon god before we go back our belongings?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-09-05 at 04:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shakes his head.
    "No; I've neglected enough duties as it is without abandoning my father's swords. I had thought them lost forever. I must recover them. I will do whatever is necessary to get them back." His tone is fervent.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-09-05 at 10:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

The burly shaman stood silent for a moment, teeth clenched, eyes downward, but his posture and tone revealed his pride and anger.

"Listen to me 'magus', and listen well. No Davethran has the right to call one of my people a barbarian or a savage. Not after the thousands you've slaughtered for your demon god. Not after what you've done to my people and others. Even your own."

His eyes shot up, hard as steel, and he looked the bard dead on.

"Are we clear on that?"

If Orin was about to reply, Draven cut him off immediately.

"Whatever we do, wherever we go, we need to do it quickly. Gothul and Azakan won't waste any time, we shouldn't either. I think it's a mistake to go to Halgarath, we can always go there later. The Isles might be good for a resupply, but the sooner we can find my clan and Zrek Kazal, the better."
    Last edited by knewsom; 2008-09-05 at 11:27 AM.
    Runa Redgrave

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by knewsom View Post
    "Are we clear on that?"
    "I..."

Quote Originally Posted by knewsom View Post
    "Whatever we do, wherever we go, we need to do it quickly. Gothul and Azakan won't waste any time, we shouldn't either. I think it's a mistake to go to Halgarath, we can always go there later. The Isles might be good for a resupply, but the sooner we can find my clan and Zrek Kazal, the better."
    Orin clenches his fists but keeps his facial expression carefully neutral.

"... Very well. You voiced your opinion. Sumner wants his ancestral sword Back. Kaleff also misses some equipment that just might give us an edge against the demon god. I for myself find it also worthwhile, if slightly risky, to visit Halgarth. What about you, Lady Ismal? Right about now we are 3 to 1 in favour of stopping by in Halgarth."

"I might also point out that we have to make a quick stop between teleports somewhere anyway and if that place just happens to offer us a chance to increase our strength by gaining powerful equipment... "

"Of course that is just my humble opinion. But either way, we will have to convince Kaleff to pick a telepoet destination. He's the one actually casting the spell after all."

Orin nods at Kaleff, then looks between his companions, smiling.

(Now Draven... seems like you won't get your will after all... all that power and you can't sway a few simple opinions... )

Orin knew that it wasn't wise to antagonize the dragon shaman. But it was just too good an opportunity not to. For all his might and dragon breath, Draven simply could not trade barbs and insults on equal footing with him. In this arena, Orin was Dravens better.

It wasn't much but... well, if words were really all he had then Orin would make the most of them. Acid breath be damned!

Lycar

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ogre in the Playground

Hern chuckles. A Demon-God's on the loose and you're having a pissing match, he mutters. He shakes his head, and continues to polish his sword.
    Meanwhile, the priests are chanting more and more ecstatically, shaking and spasming as they intone the words of their spell. The red energy shooting into the sky seems like it might possibly be lessening, but you're not sure. Certainly, at this rate, it's going to take them many hours you think.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal is none too happy.

I would prefer to use just about anywhere BUT Halgarth as a stepping-stone. Something about getting killed in a place, and then getting killed by a wizard FROM the place makes you wary, after a time.

But do we even know that our bodies are still there? Let alone where within the town they are stored? The townsfolk certainly had no reason to give reverence to any of us - why wouldn't the belongings simply have been excavated, divided up and sold off? Sounds like a fool's errand to me.

It would be even stupider to split up at this point, though.

She turns her thoughts to Kaleff.

How does this little corpse-hunt in Halgarth square with your idea of getting straight to the priests of Imshaeroth? Depleted as we are, I'd really rather not be engaging in some new bit of larceny without some time to prepare.

24. - Top - End - #1134

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

"The way I see it," the Zhan intones noncommittally, "it doesn't matter where our first destination is, the shorter the hop is from the Isles, the better. As far as Halgarth, I don't really care. I'd rather not run around exposed, but if we knew where the bodies were being kept, or could find a safe location for me to cast a divination spell or two from, we could go snatch the bodies and 'port out quickly. Once we identify the building I could even quickly jump past the walls and back with our things and.. bodies, even. Really though," he shrugs yet again, "I'll leave that decision up to you. I've picked the final destination and am content with that. I agree we need to visit Halgarth soon, too, but do not feel particularly hurried to go there."

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal glances pointedly at Sumner's wounds.

I say again that this is the worst time for us to be going on a treasure hunt - especially with the trail weeks old.

Let's get to a place where we can try to get that crown dealt with. Keeping it out of Gothul's hands is my first priority.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin chuckles at Ismal "Heh, first you vote for Draven not using his healing magic on Sumner, then you use Sumner's injured state as an argument not to go to Halgarth. I could go on and point out that this is not a 'treasure hunt', as this term suggests long winded piecing together of clues, but rather a simple stop at the city morgue where we are going to pick up the dear departet's remains and personal belongings. Or rather, the dear departed who got better can reclaim their stuff."

"Really now, i could go and point out how your adamant refusal to go to Halgarth makes it look like you have some sort of... hidden agenda or something."

"But i won't do any of these things. Instead i'll agree to whatever destination Kaleff should elect for our little stop. Which will last about as long as it takes him to cast the second spell."

Orin nods at Kaleff: "By all means, do go on. I'm as ready as can be..."

Lycar

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

So, have you decided where you are going finally? asks Hern with a chuckle.

Red sparks seem to be jumping out of the obelisk and grounding themselves on the priests. It doesn't seem to cause them pain, they continue with their chanting, but occasionally glowing as their bodies flash with red light.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

"Orin, either you're dumber than you look, or you just like to waste time in stupid pointless arguements. If we wanted Summer dead, we'd kill him. We hope we won't ever have to do that, but in case the demon drops back in for a visit, it's probably best if he's on the verge of death, so he'll be easier to kill.

"If the majority insists on a trip to Halgarath, even though my instincts scream against it, I will support you all in the decision. In the meantime, perhaps I should heal some of Summer's wounds so he doesn't draw undue attention - being that he is far worse the wear to the eye than the rest of us."
    Runa Redgrave

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner sighs. "Perhaps you can find some manacles in Halgarth, to be doubly sure. Besides, I wouldn't want to enter the city myself. At most, two of us should go, I think."

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, says Hern, so you're going to teleport outside of Halgarth, a couple of you will go in and grab whatever stuff is there from our old bodies... mind picking up anything of mine that's there? Then you'll teleport to the Zahn islands to try and find out from them where Zrek Kazal is, then you'll go there and capture Gothul. Is that right?