New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Indeed... Azakan arches his fingers together, and smiles wickedly. He looks into Sumner's eyes again. You hear that? A choice! He laughs.
    Well then, he says, I guess we better go and check on Ravan. Shall we be off? I told you to meet me here, because it's near a portal that I can use to get us to various other places. Maybe, say, the town of Halgarth on the western coast of the Bitter Sea. Do you know it? It's reasonably near Ravan's area of control without actually being in it.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-30 at 12:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's brow creased slightly. Something just doesn't seem right about all this. The stout shaman can't exactly put it all together, but that wicked grin of Azakan's is making his stomach uneasy.

"Very well then. We'll go see your brother. And afterwards, we'll see about getting them resurrected. ..unless you have other plans for us?"
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, when I have the crown... Azakan hesitates. I'll have to do some rituals. But I don't see that this should interfere with getting people raised.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

The creases in Draven's forehead deepened.

"What sort of Rituals? What are they for?"

Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive please. (1d20-1)[13]
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner blinks, a little confused.
    "Yes, you have a choice. But you also have a duty." He listens to Azakan's plans carefully.
    "Halgarth, yes? I have been there. The Bronze Cauldron tavern was, in fact, where I was killed and sent to hell."
    Sumner mulls over this prospect.
    "I suppose I am somewhat changed since the last time I was there. There is likely to be little repercussion."
    He likewise frowns at the mention of rituals...
    Spoiler
    Show

sense motive - (1d208)[64]
    EDIT: Yes, I'm JUST that good
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-04-30 at 01:07 PM.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal is frankly concerned by Azakan's flippant response.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I don't have a D208, but I'll do my best with Sense Motive (1d20+6)[11]. Also Knowledge Arcana to try to figure out what kind of portals he's talking about. (1d20+8)[27]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren and Tharok look at Azakan with surprised expressions.
    Portal? asks Bren. You mean portal in squid-men city that Tharok and I came through? You know how portal works?
    Yes, says Azakan, it's not that complicated. The hard bit is controlling it. Few people can, because you need to have a grasp of the Illithid's alien magic. But I have the ability to do it.
    He sighs. The rituals... well. It's to do with focusing the power of the crown to gain the power necessary to sieze the empire. To gain the power my father had... he looks at Sumner wearily. As you say, I've got a duty.
    You try and read Azakan's voice and body language for clues as to his intentions, but hos face is too controlled to reveal what he is thinking... other than he isn't happy about this duty.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's creased brow dripped down to the rest of his face, contorted into a firm frown.

"'power your father had'... Power in precisely what form, Azakan? I'm not helpin' you until you tell me the whole truth."
    Runa Redgrave

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's creased brow dripped down to the rest of his face, contorted into a firm frown.

"'power your father had'... Power in precisely what form, Azakan? I'm not helpin' you until you tell me the whole truth."
    Runa Redgrave

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

Fixing the barbarian who seems to invade his mind with a look of contempt, the Zhan seems to spit his words out before softening his tone, "Justice? No, that is too subjective. All can be victims and anything can be justified, when looked at a certain way. No. I want Order. Order, not Law. Things must be aligned in their proper place. That done justice may occur, undone it cannot." Turning back to the main conversation, Kaleff pays close attention to Azakan, trying to get a reading on the man's intention. "And who will be performing these rituals?"

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, what the hey, I'll throw down a SM, too (1d20+2)[22]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan shrugs. I can't really explain how the power works to you, because you'd need extremely advanced understanding of divine magic. The crown is a bridge of sorts, a binding to all descended from the blood of Zere or his coven, which includes nearly all the nobles of the Empire. Once activated with the correct rituals, which I will perform with some help from certain priests, it will grant me the power to command the Archmages through their blood. It's how my father controlled them.
    As far as any of you can tell, Azakan is not leaving anything out here.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-01 at 09:08 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

The noblewoman stiffens at Azakan's words. She was still getting over the effect of the Inquisitor.

This crown allows you to control the Archmages, and the nobles?

It's clear from her tone that this is not an idle question, but one with some personal urgency. She thinks further.

If so, why wouldn't Ravan have used it to quell the rebellious leaders to the west?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, says Azakan. And yes, I know what you are thinking, as a noble it will allow me to control you as well should I choose, and Khorik, and... well, actually not Sumner. But you two, yes. Ravan would have loved to use it, but he couldn't do the rituals, because, luckily for us all, I have the power source, and he doesn't. He grimaces, and mutters, Well, not lucky for me. But when I say control, I don't mean you have no free will, like golems. You just will find it extremely difficult to disobey my orders. If I don't give you any actual orders, then it won't make any difference to you. Anyway, I can send orders telepathically to any noble. So I can instantly order all the Archmages to proclaim me Emperor.
    Khorik looks worried at this, but says nothing, looking at Ismal to see if she speaks.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-01 at 08:52 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Conflicting emotions are clearly warring within the normally-composed Ismal. It takes a moment for her to speak, but her voice gains strength as she speaks.

My lord, I long for the return of a time when Davethra was strong and unified, but I have had my share of those who used mind control for their own ends. This kind of servitude is exactly what our people fought under your father to throw off.

My father never mentioned your father's control over him. Perhaps he was ashamed. Perhaps he assumed that the power would never be taken up by a Zere again.

I am no idealist, and I understand that there is no easy way back towards union. But if this is to be your first step towards the recreation of an empire, I beg you not to make it a step that makes thralls of those who may be your greatest supporters.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt your father knew he was incapable of disobeying the Emperor, few did. It's a subtle effect. Vellan Zere didn't want people to know, as you said, that was exactly the sort of thing we hated the Illithids because of. He leans forward and looks intently into Ismal's eyes. But you don't seem to understand. I don't want to use that thing. I don't want to be Emperor at all. He looks at Sumner, anger in his eyes. I don't want to do my duty. I want to tell the Kasiyell Solartha Yssyra Goeth Mreya Ul to go screw itself. The foreign words he speaks sound strange, like they were not supposed to be said by a human tongue. It somehow seems as if by saying these words, he has stripped them of beauty, profaned them. He leans back, slumped shoulders, hand covering his eyes in despair. But I have to. I have no choice.
    Bren mutters something under his breath.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... a sad chief who must force his tribe to obey...

Azakan snorts in derision. A sad chief who is forced to be chief.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-01 at 09:28 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner looks thoughtful for a moment, and then rises to his feet.
    "Interesting. In one motion, the Empire restored and the nobles obedient. I had not thought to make it so easy. Interesting that there should be something magical that can compel one to duty. Well," He says, resting his hand upon the hilt of his sword, "Let us begin our journey to Halgarth; we may discuss things along the way. Also, Azakan;" he turns to regard the noble, "Even in anger, such words of power should not be bandied."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan laughs. No, I doubt he was too happy about it. He grins wolfishly. But I just wanted to point out that just as he has power over me, I have power over him. He stands up. Well then, I suppose we'll be off to Halgarth now then, to get the crown, and force people to obey me... how pleasant. He shrugs. Still, it is little different to Ne'sha.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner's face darkens for a moment, but then he relaxes.
    "I wish you wouldn't try to rile me, your lordship; it serves little, and it is petty and spiteful. Have you thought of how you will rule when you are emperor?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal is clearly in no hurry to depart.

My lord, if I may enquire: you've said several times, and made it clear from your long absence, that you don't wish to be emperor. May I ask what you DO want? What is it you would rather be doing?

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+8)[13] to recognize the name that Azakan just rolled out.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven remained seated. His left eye twitched ever so slightly - he was obviously tense.

"What's next, Zere? Summoning armies of demons to serve you and control those who are immune to your command? To control me, and my people? Where I'm from, we have a saying: 'One step on the darkest path will bind your foot.' It's a lot more poetic in Draconic, but you get the meaning. If you do this, it will change everything you do afterwards, and it will change how everyone sees and treats you. And not in a good way. You said you have no choice, Azakan, but you DO have a choice. You don't have to FORCE people to follow you - look around this room - we are all here by our own choice! Begin building your allies, my lord... Take the path that is surely rockier, but not binding. Take that path, and people will WANT to help you. Take the other, and people will try to STOP you."
    Runa Redgrave

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not you I'm trying to rile, as well you know, Sumner. Azakan sighs. I don't know what I'd rather be doing. When I was young, I was brought up to rule, like all my brothers and sisters. When Vellan Zere died, I fled and hid from my more powerful brothers at court. When Gothul was destroyed, and they all died, I started to plan to take over. He waves at Kaleff. He put paid to that idea. He looks up at the ceiling, sadly. Since then, I wandered, lost. Eventually I decided that I should at least avenge my father. I never really liked him, but to be honest it was a good excuse to tell myself as justification for killing someone who reminded me of him, another ruler, King Khadoth. I don't know what I want to do now... maybe just have a normal life? Get married, settle down, or something. What do normal people do with their lives... he closes his eyes, his shoulders slumped. They seem happier than me. I just don't want to be a slave to... that thing.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

The noblewoman relaxes just a bit, for the first time since entering this tavern.

My Lord, I suspect that the misconception that an average life is happy is only held by those who those who have no chance at leading one. The principles of happiness my parents taught me seemed to apply as well to them as to their gardeners. Honesty, a thing larger than yourself to dedicate your efforts to, a bit of security, and love.

She glances at Draven.

Love would seem to help quite a lot, actually, even if when the other elements have, frankly, gone to sh--.

My lord, if I may be so bold, if you didn't like your father, and you don't want to be like him - make changes in the kind of empire you rebuild. You have that task, that grand task to focus your energies. You seem an honest man - you told us about the power of the crown, when you could easily have held that back from us. Love and security...well, I can't help you with those, at least not in the short term.

But I can tell you that when the empire fell, the Pennefar withdrew from the petty grasping and politicking that followed. They created a haven, not a wealthy or particularly powerful one, but a haven, for those who felt as they did. At a sign that an emperor worthy of the name had returned, they would join in your fight, a fight to heal and reunite the empire. And I cannot believe that we are alone.

Your brother's failure to claim the true empire couldn't lie only in his inability to access the crown. Power in the hands of the unworthy turns to dust. If he had treated the nobles as puppets, the way he has done his own people, with his own brother, they would have been assassinated and others, free of his control, put in their place.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan sits back down, head in his hands. For a moment, he says nothing, then:
    If I have the crown, I will order them to declare me Emperor, take residence in say, Ralm, and Old Davethra will be at peace once more. The Empire will be reastablished bloodlessly, in a matter of days. If I don't use it, the few people who are really willing to fight for people will be forced into a long and bloody war with mercenaries of the Archmages. You've read the history books right? Of how the greatful Davethrans made Vellan their ruler as he'd defeated the Illithids? And then the Mokai and Qusans saw how much better things would be in the Empire, so joined? Lies, all lies. Most of our history was written to paint my father in a good light. Actually, there was a 300 year, brutal and bloody, to unite Davethra. Then it took 500 more years to conquer the Qusans, Mokai and Dar Ven. 300 years of war in Osira, against the Shavarans and then the Kumari. The wars only succeeded because of all the demons we summoned, demons who fed on the blood of children. He looks back up, his fists clenched, his face determined. I've seen too many people die before. The only way to create the Empire peacefully is with the Imperial Crown. That's what it's for.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Feeling what hope she had waning, Ismal speaks quickly.

Now who is spouting whitewash? Of course the empire waas bloody and difficult. But how can you know that the only way to have built the empire was to ally with the devils? It was Vellan's way, the way he chose. Not the only way. Did it never occur to you that the wars were fuelled BY the demons - by the need to feed the machine that had been created? "It was necessary" is a failure of imagination and courage.

Neither of us can ever know if it was the only way. The question that I now ask you, though, is "Is that the empire you want to rule?" The one that relied on demons, genocide...Gothul. If you believe in destiny, as you seem to, then the prophesy says that this is when you choose between justice and tyrrany. If you don't, then you are bound only by your own conscience here, now.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course the conquests were for the demons. They weren't to fuel the war machine though, they were to fuel Gothul's hunger for sacrifice. You say it could have been done another way. How? How do you make an Empire without superior military force? Azakan looks scornful. Your ideas sound very nice, but they're just idealistic rubbish. Empires are built on force and compulsion, not because people just decide that they like taking orders from someone else.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Rubbish? Because I disagree with you?

An empire could have been built on strong defences backed up with wealth. Why destroy when you can buy? Conquests that could have been done in less time with cooperation and construction took centuries because we were beholden to the demons, and sacrificed so much of our conquests - and ourselves - to do their bidding.

Empire is based on force and compulsion? Where is there room in that for respect, for Ne'sha? Where is loyalty when all that an empire is built on is fear and compulsion?

How cowardly it is, to hide behind this feigned indifference. I suppose that if you care about nothing, then you can be blamed for nothing, is that it? Well, I care about the people under the Pennefar banner, and I want them to have an empire they deserve. Not one that kills their children to slake the hunger of an insane god.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan bursts out laughing, but it's laughter with no joy. He leans forward, and hisses You talk about Ne'sha? The system of honour on which our Empire was based, of swearing oaths to your superiors, of giving all for the Empire? Do you know where Ne'sha came from, who thought it up?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal shakes her head in disbelief.

Who. Cares.

Have you listened to nothing we've said? It doesn't matter if the principles were some sort of social facade to keep the people in place. I don't care if the principles were farted out of Gothul's ass. Good people.

She glances unconsciously at Sumner, but lets her gaze linger there a moment.

Decent people have made commitments to an ideal. That ideal, of an empire that stands for something besides the wretched slog of the strong standing on top of the weak in order to breathe. If that's all we wanted, we could have marched over to Ravan to offer our services.

What do you propose to do that's any different?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

"Look at your eyes, your teeth - clearly you are, in part, descended from a demon... but does that make you a demon? Does that make you evil? No, and it is the same with Ne'Sha. The system of honor and respect that it has become is different that the forced fealty it began as."
    Runa Redgrave

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner stands quietly, thinking. This was a realm for words, and his own proficiency with them could only go so far. This was where the Lady Ismal could shine. In a way, it was a pity Orin couldn't be there to see it; this sort of oration was just the sort of thing he delighted in. Sumner casts his mind back briefly to a memory of a sunlight courtyard back in Halgarth, and the discourse they'd had.
    Ah, well. Maybe there will be some news in Halgarth of Gareth and Orin both.
    Sumner bows his head, his strong green hands clasped lightly behind his back as he listens to the others debate. He listens with particular interest when the debate comes to Ne'sha.
    "This humble soldier hesitates to correct any of you about Ne'sha, but I believe we've strayed from the point here; as I see it, this debate is quite simple. Azakan does not wish to be emperor, and indeed I believe he still means not to be. However, if he will be Emperor, he means to do it with minimal bloodshed. The best way he knows is to subjugate the nobles magically. Some here object because it is mind-controlling magic. I can't say I object to people being held to oaths they and their ancestors swore, but with the Old Empire restored, I think we may have order at least, before hell breaks loose. The Empire must be prepared."
    He sighs,
    "It may be that reclaiming Qusa and Khadoth will be impossible to do peacefully. But we will have to see about that when we come to it."