New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Eberron With Giant Robots 00

(The Hustle was in fact needed, for your pp record-keeping purposes)

"What was that n--ONATAR'S BALLS! where did you just come from?" says the deckhand as Zephyr suddenly appears behind him. "What? Erm...oh, that! It's ship business, groundpounder. No go away, ya botherin' me," he explains.

Obviously, he's hiding something (and specifically slipping the whatever-it-is into a belt pouch), but just as obviously, he's prepared to fight over it, and looks reasonably capable in that burly, over-pierced sailor sort of way.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dencamp catches himself adroitly as the ship lurches, a slight bend in his knees and leaning forward on his feet suggesting a practiced response.
    Looking up at the distant glint, he only has time to take a quick second glance before Zephyr flashsteps is on the sailor.
    "Subtle..."
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

"Woooooooooow!" Crowbar says as the ship takes off. He listens to all the aeronautical jargon, trying to understand it all. "This is so... so... WOW! We're so high up! Look! You can see Cannith Tower from here!" The warforged is just amazed at the marvel of the airship, its operation, the coordination by the crew, and the capability it represents. AP-001 stares off into the distance at a distinct tower rising above the rest, noting the mobile suits standing guard at the enterance. "Thank you for allowing me to watch the takeoff from here, Captain, that was fantastic!"
    My 3D art page: Contact Lost

4. - Top - End - #304
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    (The Hustle was in fact needed, for your pp record-keeping purposes)

"What was that n--ONATAR'S BALLS! where did you just come from?" says the deckhand as Zephyr suddenly appears behind him. "What? Erm...oh, that! It's ship business, groundpounder. No go away, ya botherin' me," he explains.

Obviously, he's hiding something (and specifically slipping the whatever-it-is into a belt pouch), but just as obviously, he's prepared to fight over it, and looks reasonably capable in that burly, over-pierced sailor sort of way.
    After a glance around to see where the assistant navigator went, Zephyr raises a skeptical eyebrow and repeats, Ship business? Well, if it's just innocent, routine ship business, then surely there's no harm in answering my question. Dencamp, would you be so kind as to go get the Captain? Zephyr raises his voice slightly, watching the deckhand carefully from behind his sunglasses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check (1d20 2=7) to see where the assistant navigator went

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Nozomi observes the operation of the airship and takes notes on it's performance until something that warrants action happens where she can observe it. Upon takeoff, she grabs whatever is handy to stabilize herself.
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-05-23 at 01:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The captain smiles. "I'm glad you enjoyed it," she says to Crowbar. "The rest of the trip should be pretty boring for passengers, though, until we reach the forest."

Zephyr can't get a glimpse of where the navigator's mate went. From where he's standing, however, Dencamp sees him heading into the forecastle doors, presumably headed to the bow lookout station, or possibly to his cabin, the galley, or really anywhere belowdecks.

"I don't know who you think you are, pal, but I don't like your attitude!" says the sailor, picking up a long wooden pole (possibly a belaying pin? I'm not sure what a belaying pin is...) from the deck next to him and hefting it menacingly. "Why don't you just get your nose out of my business." Other people on deck are taking notice of the altercation and looking on curiously.

(You have a higher initiative than him, so you can take an action before he starts getting violent).
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

(A belaying pin is used to tie rigging to on square-riggers. You can pull the pin and quickly untie the rope.)

"I understand, Captain," Crowbar responds, "fortunately my kind has tremendous patience for such things. Are warforged able to pilot airships?"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Well, most of airship piloting is the same as helming an ocean vessel," Mina explains, "but since the pilot has to interface with and command the bound elemental, it requires either exceptional force of will, compulsion magic, or a Mark of Storm."

The helmswoman chimes in, "Which is why I'm guaranteed work for the rest of my life! It's easiest just to hire a Lyrandar scion like me, even on non-Windwrights Guild vessels. Plus, most of us just love to fly."

Mina nods. "But it's still certainly possible for anyone with the right training. You just also need a knack for commanding elementals. In fact, I think the Red Mountain's helmsman is a Warlock who keeps his elemental Charmed 24/7..."

"The which ship, Captain?" asks the helmswoman.

"Er, never mind that. Classified," says the captain, looking a bit sheepish.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309

Dencamp stalks after the exeunt sailor.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

Volker glances at the familiar sphere on the ground.

"Everyone seems a bit... engaged at the moment. I'll introduce you when the dust clears."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The Shieldmate sort-of rolls back and forth. It's as close as it can get to a nod. <Understood, sir. Good idea. Looks like someone is about to get a beating over there, and I am not sure who yet.>

Zephyr notices that Dencamp has gone...somewhere.

Dencamp moves with practiced ease, unnoticed by his quarry and only peripherally registered by other sailors, mostly through unobtrusiveness rather than actually finding shadows to camouflage himself in. The navigator's mate walks a brisk pace around the lower decks of the ship, first seeking out another crewman, a rather runty-looking halfling who appears to be off-duty cooking staff, and handing him another something Dencamp can't quite see.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-05-24 at 12:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    "I don't know who you think you are, pal, but I don't like your attitude!" says the sailor, picking up a long wooden pole (possibly a belaying pin? I'm not sure what a belaying pin is...) from the deck next to him and hefting it menacingly. "Why don't you just get your nose out of my business." Other people on deck are taking notice of the altercation and looking on curiously.
    ((According to wikipedia, belaying pins are made of metal. Is that what he's actually using? And why would an airship have belaying pins anyway?))

So it's your business now? It was "ship's business" just a minute ago. You'd do a lot better convincing people you're not up to no good if you kept your story straight. Zephyr grins, trying to win the support of the gathering crowd, which would hopefully help him convince the deckhand. Just give up and hand over whatever it was the assistant navigator slipped you. Cooperate, and you probably won't get more than a slap on the wrist. If not... Zephyr draws his rapier and lets it hang by his side, adjusting his grip to strike with the flat. ... well, I'll do my very best not to inflict any lethal wounds. I doubt the Captain would appreciate it if I seriously injured one of her deckhands. Zephyr watches the deckhand carefully, waiting...

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check (1d20 4=19) plus Action Point (1d6=6) to win over the crowd (treating the crowd as a single NPC per the rules for influencing spectators in gladiatorial combat, Complete Warrior 131). Zephyr is readying an action to manifest offensive precognition if the deckhand attacks him.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2008-05-24 at 12:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

((Like I said, I don't know what a belaying pin is except that people are occasionally threatened with beatings by one. This is just a wooden pole heavy and balanced enough to count as a greatclub without taking improv penalties, really.))

<Hm. Analysis complete. Now giving 3:1 on the noble.>

The gathering crowd of onlookers look among each other and shrug, apparently willing to watch what happens to this guy rather than interfere. The sailor, looking around and not seeing the support from the crew he was expecting, glares at Zephyr for a second, looks around again in something like panic, and then hauls off and swings the pole at Zephyr, whose years of training and psychic prescience allow him to duck under it as it passes inches from his head, while at the same time focusing his precognition power.

((He misses, your go.))
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-05-24 at 12:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Banned

Zephyr counterattacks.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Shiali watches Zephyr with interest after the display of almost-teleportation, which turns into mild worry as something that looks like a fight breaks out. She starts towards them, trying to make her way through the smallish throng of spectators to the front without shoving or stepping on too many toes.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-05-24 at 02:21 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #316

Dencamp continues ghosting along after the crewman. He leans against an isolated wall around the corner from the halfling and the man, listening in on them, before moving on to stalk the crewman some more. He slowly fishes some mysterious object of his own from the folds of his cloak as he moves, careful to keep it well-concealed.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can almost guarantee you that if I keep rerolling Hide/Move Silent for each post of hunting, I will fail in my stalk. Can we assume Dencamp continues with success as he is now, so long as he doesn't do anything rash or have merit to need another check?
    And speaking of checks I suspect I'll fail, should I sleight of hand to conceal the object?
    Last edited by ExHunterEmerald; 2008-05-24 at 03:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Zephyr counterattacks.
    ((Well ****, there goes Tibet...))

Zephyr's thrust goes wide of the sailor, who takes a more measure swing with his pole and again misses by inches. "Dammit, stop moving around so I can clobber you!"

Shiali makes her way to the inner ring of the rough circle of onlookers that have gathered around the tussle, and sees the man ducking and weaving in a manner that seems vaguely...odd. ((A Knowledge: Psionics check might tell you something interesting, at Iames's discretion.))

Meanwhile, all this is getting the notice of the bridge crew, who have a slightly obstructed view of the main deck low on the main window. "What is going on out there..."

Meanwhile meanwhile, in the lower decks of the ship, Dencamp overhears:

"Just carry this with you. When I give the signal, I need you to stand in the exact center of the mess and activate it." The cook nods, and salutes the navigator's mate in a manner unbecomingly formal of mess crew before the two walk off in opposite directions.

((I just saw your SoH roll, but you're going to need new Hide/Move Silently to continue following))
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

Dencamp pursues, farther still.
    When he gets a chance and an isolated area, he slowly laces his fingers into a pair of handles on either end of a gleaming wire, wrapping one loop over each hand. With painful stillness he creeps up on the sailor, and then with an explosive surge, springs forth, neatly buries the wire in the man's throat.

"Shhhh," he murmurs almost serenely as he pulls the man back into the shadows...
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Banned

It's not Zephyr's ducking and weaving that's odd; it's his attacks. ((And it's a Psicraft check, BTW. DC 21))

No, I don't think I will. I'm rather averse to being clobbered. Besides, my reputation would be ruined. How am I supposed to defeat the Invaders if I let myself get beaten by an ordinary sailor? Zephyr attacks again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapier Attack (nonlethal damage) (1d20 3=23, 1d6 1=3), Confirmation, Crit Damage (1d20 3=11, 1d6 1=3)

... I am sorely tempted to spend an Action Point on my confirmation roll. But I will conserve my reserves of cinematic awesome for the time being.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

Crowbar finally takes a break from watching the world go by and finally notices the tussle. "Lady Nozome, Inquiry: comrade under attack by allies," he says referring to Zephyr and the crewman, "but he's unaided by our comrades. Should we assist? This situation seems to fall under 'blow off steam' although I suppose 'lover's quarrel' might work as well."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Zephyr's rapier scores a painful, critical even, gash on the unarmored man's shoulder...however, in return, he's opened himself up to take a club to the head (10 damage. Lethal, since there's no way he'll hit you otherwise). "Ha! You're not so tough."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

The club catches Zephyr one the side of his face. His sunglasses fly over the side, and after regaining his balance, Zephyr spits out a tooth and some blood. And here I was taking it easy on you. I see how it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapier Attack, Lethal Damage (1d20 7=27, 1d6 1=7), Confirmation, Critical Damage (1d20 7=26, 1d6 1=7)

Eh, make it nonlethal damage after all. Zephyr's really not trying to kill him.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

"Stand by to reinforce, but do not interfere without instructions from a comrade or superior officer." Nozomi says to Crowbar. She seems to be just phrasing her advice in warforged-speak rather than actually ordering him. "I will observe, and repair if your assessment of the situation is incorrect." That said, she goes to watch the fight, hands on her Healing Belt.
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Zephyr stabs the man in the abdomen just enough to trim his love handles. "Guh....damn...nobby...piece of crap."

The sailor staggers back against the side railing and withdraws the object that started this whole mess. "Guess I'm jumping the gun. Oh well. GLORY TO THE SWORDS OF LIBERTY!" he yells, triggering a flash of magic from the crystal...

((Will saves from everyone except Crowbar (immune) and Dencamp (out of range).))
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-05-24 at 11:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325
    Banned

((The following assumes Zephyr makes his save...))

Why you! Zephyr lunges forward with his rapier.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]Will save (1d20 2=7) I had to guess at Nozomi's modifier since tangleweb's profiler is down temporarily. Anyway, since magic item save DCs suck, Action point on will save (1d6=3).[/ooc]

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save 17, Psicraft 15. Curses, failure!

But while I'm at it, why not some rolls to see if Shiali recognizes the name he's shouting? Knowledges!

Shiali's passage "Whoa- hold it!" Shiali shouts in alarm as she feels the wave of magic pass over her, pointing. She reinforces that with a mental attack, reaching out to try and hold the sailor where he stands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brain Lock, Will DC 16 or he's dazed for... well, as long as she concentrates, really. Just as with Zephyr, this is assuming a 17 saves.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

A wave of magical energy sweeps over the deck, knocking the crew standing on the maindeck unconscious instantly, except for a couple of confused-looking half-elves and one Warforged siege engineer. Zephyr, Crowbar, and Shiali are unaffected, but Nozomi can't quite fight off the compulsion to fall over and take a nap. Volker exists in a state of quantum flux until he posts (or I decide to NPC him).

As Shiali easily paralyzes the maniacally-grinning sailor with the power of her mind, she remembers hearing the name "Swords of Liberty" in an embassy briefing: they're a loose group of armed extremists with the goal of promoting democratic reforms in Breland, usually through terrorism and extortion.

Dencamp, meanwhile, is standing around in a shadowy corridor over an unconscious navigator's mate, about a full-round's worth of movement from the nearest stairs up to the main deck, or a similar dash to where he should find another guy with one of those crystals.

(Let's get initiatives from everyone who hasn't rolled them yet, including Dencamp.)
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-05-25 at 11:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

"Understood Ma'am I- Tactical alert!" Crowbar shouts as the magic device activates and he runs out of the bridge and onto the deck. "Ally now declared hostile. Master Zephyr, standing by to reinforce."

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330

Spoiler
    Show

Dencamp immediately pursues the nearest crystal-packing enemy, concealing his garrote and drawing a sap.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hide, Move Silent to continue an unobtrusive appearance to pursue the next spell-trigger holder. Sleight of Hand to draw his sap.
    Hide, Move Silent, Sleight of Hand (1d20 10=20, 1d20 10=29, 1d20 7=18)
    And on a quick check, having his cloak on him should give that SoH another +2 for 20.

(And just to expedite things, next round as well, assuming things go well. I'll delete everything after my last rolls if a change of plan is required.)

Dencamp again strikes with sudden force, bringing his sap across the back of the offending pirate's head, moving past if the man crumples, intent on being nowhere near the unconscious man when he's seen. If the man doesn't go down, Dencamp cries "Attack! Alert the captain!"

Spoiler
    Show

Sap attack (1d20 6=21)
    Nonlethal damage, base (1d6 1=5)
    Sadly, sap doesn't count as a Shadow Blade eligible weapon.
    Sneak attack damage, nonlethal (2d6=11)
    Total: 16 nonlethal
    Spoiler
    Show