New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon of Pink (IC)

Gunnar

After 200' Gunnar mutters, "Now they're just showing off."

"Wellington, look out below." With two quick chops he hews a piece of stone from the wall* and lets it fall.

"Really showing off."

Spoiler
    Show
    *Non-structural, please.
    Business Trip 6/7 - 6/18. I'll try to keep up.
    Gwydr

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Celebel

"Anyone fancy putting a bet on how far down that shaft goes? Though I now have no idea how I'm going to get down, I lack the ability to fly."

3. - Top - End - #33

((Do we reach the bottom without getting blasted, pummeled, or dispelled?))
    Gwydr

4. - Top - End - #34

After an hour and a half of careful searching and reconnesaince, Wellington and Gunnar are able to search the entire shaft down it's 225' length. They find no traps or anything strange at all, until they reach the bottom. There they find that the bottom of the shaft is filled with about four feet of water, and that there is a set of two five-foot wide, ten-foot tall doors. Wellington is able to sense a low level of magic from the doors, identified as a arcane lock spell. Also, both are unable to sense any airflow from behind the doors, and the hinges seem to be created in such a way that opening the door will still be a task of strength instead of having been placed to allow easy door movement, which seems out of place with the otherwise flawless dwarven construction of the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you guys search beneath the water as well?
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Wellington 'de Luc

Halting just above the water line, Wellington hovers in mid-air as he rummages in his sack. Reaching down, he pulls a bright black gem off of the collar of his armor and sets a brilliant aquamarine gem in its place. "And now the water starts... or so it seems."

Setting the gem into his pack, he pulls out a copper piece and tosses it into the water and waits to see what happens

Spoiler
    Show
    Changing his armor crystal to the one that grants him a swim speed.
    Last edited by Beren One-Hand; 2008-05-01 at 12:38 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Gunnar

Gunnar perches against the wall just above the waterline, held in place by his impossibly sticky hobnail boots. "If the only abjuration is the arcane lock, perhaps you could take an auger* and drill a hole through at the bottom of the door? Four feet of water is roughly four more feet than I feel comfortable standing in."

Spoiler
    Show
    *assumes A) that an auger is included in thieves' tools and B) the doors are made of wood.

Gunnar is also assuming that the standing water would have compromised any mechanical traps, so he has not searched beneath the waterline.
    Gwydr

7. - Top - End - #37

The copper hits the water with a small splash and a 'plop' and sinks to the bottom and lies flat on the bottom. Though there could be a small margin of error, it appears that the water is roughly four feet deep.

Edit: Doors are stone.
    Last edited by Pink; 2008-05-01 at 01:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

Gunnar

Still avoiding the water, Gunnar examines the hinges. Finally he says, "I don't much like this door. I say we cut through it."

If there are no objections, Gunnar will stand on the wall above the doors. He uses his axe to hew through the upper hinge on the right hand door*. Then he moves down the wall to about the water level and splits the door in half horizonally, just above the center hinge. The arcane lock should hold the pieces in place despite the lack of support.

Spoiler
    Show

*I guess that's his left when standing above it looking down

Cut through the red parts:
    Code:
     [     ][     ]
    |[     ][     ]|
     [     ][_____]
    |[     ][     ]|
     [     ][     ]
    |[     ][     ]|
     [     ][     ]
    Wielded in two hands and full PA, Gunnar's weapon does 1d10+22 and bypasses hardness less than 20.
    Gwydr

9. - Top - End - #39

To those on the surface: It has been nearly two hours you think, since Wellington and Gunnar disappeared into the depthes of the cave. Though at first you could hear the sounds of them searching and chalking, there has been silence for too long. You fear that they may not be coming back.

To gunnar and wellington
    Spoiler
    Show
    The axe hews with some effort into the hinge and then with another swing into the door itself. However, something else feels like it's cut when the door is attacked and there is a clicking sound and suddenly the water seems to drop. After a moment of churning water, it appears that the floor was a trap door that has dropped away, revealing that the entrance goes down further, about 75 feet it seems, before ending once again, the water collecting into a pool at this new bottom.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Gunnar

After a few running steps upward, Gunnar looks back. He goes back down and verfies* that the doors aren't going to come off and fall after. Then he takes a closer look as to whether the doors are even real**. If he's hacked deeply enough to make a hole, he peers through it***. If all is well, he'll complete his previous task of turning the obstacle into a Dutch door.

Spoiler
    Show
    *search - (1d20+21)[34]

**search - (1d20+21)[33] or know architecture - (1d20+3)[19]

***spot - (1d20)[20]
    Last edited by Maurkov; 2008-05-05 at 05:14 PM.
    Gwydr

11. - Top - End - #41

What Gunnar finds
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gunnar's search reveals that the doors aren't really supposed to be opened, and upon peering behind them he finds a myriad of chains and gears, one chain is severed exactly where he had been cutting through the door. There's a central knot of chains connected in the centre of the door, probably held by the arcane lock. It seems to be an ingenious trap in that any attempts at breaking the door or dispelling the lock will trigger a change in the weight and release the trapdoor. It also seems to be able to eventually self correct itself to reset numerous times from the numerous chains which even now are repositioning. In any event, there seems to be nothing but stone behind the device, this is not an entrance into the tomb.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Gunnar will stand aside so that Wellington can see, too. "Blast it?"
    Gwydr

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    To those on the surface: It has been nearly two hours you think, since Wellington and Gunnar disappeared into the depthes of the cave. Though at first you could hear the sounds of them searching and chalking, there has been silence for too long. You fear that they may not be coming back.
    Theresa looks into the dark pit, then looks at those still with her. Maybe I should go check on them...

With a sigh, she takes off and flies down the hole. as she goes, she softly calls out to Wellington and Gunnar.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

14. - Top - End - #44

Gunnar's Homunculus

The homunculus waves to get Theresa's attention. With moonstone eyes glimmering, it points down the hole, then it makes a ring with thumb and forefinger other fingers loosely extended. It sits down again, ten feet from the opening.
    Gwydr

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Wellington 'de Luc

"Interesting. Looks like we've got a ways to go still. Why don't you go back and report what's been going on while I take care of the rest of these chains?" he replies to Gunnar.

Floating next to the cut door he reaches out and severs the remaining chains.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did we see where the cut wire, the one that was attached to the stone, led too?
    Last edited by Beren One-Hand; 2008-05-07 at 01:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Gunnar

"Be safe."

Gunnar turns and clambers up the shaft to greet the others. "No problems so far. We're being very careful. Unfortunately, we haven't reached the bottom of the shaft, so you non-fliers have to stay put a while longer. If you need us, tell the homunculus. I know what it knows. It can't speak, but it's pretty good at charades."
    Gwydr

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Beren One-Hand View Post
    Wellington 'de Luc

"Interesting. Looks like we've got a ways to go still. Why don't you go back and report what's been going on while I take care of the rest of these chains?" he replies to Gunnar.

Floating next to the cut door he reaches out and severs the remaining chains.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did we see where the cut wire, the one that was attached to the stone, led too?
    OOC: How are you severing the remaining chains? Disable device? And to which cut wire are you referring to, the one that was grounding the capstone and would be pulled out if it was lifted uncarefully?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    OOC: How are you severing the remaining chains? Disable device? And to which cut wire are you referring to, the one that was grounding the capstone and would be pulled out if it was lifted uncarefully?
    With his warlocky goodness... chaoticness... whatever. If they're too heavy for his shatter invocation and he can reach them with his theives tools then its a disable device check.

The wire was the one attached to the capstone and decending into the depths. I was just curious about what it was attached to on the other end.

19. - Top - End - #49

((I thought you were disabling the floor/door trap so that it wouldn't reset. Are you back up and working at the capstone?))
    Gwydr

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maurkov View Post
    ((I thought you were disabling the floor/door trap so that it wouldn't reset. Are you back up and working at the capstone?))
    ((You're right, I'm down at the bottom trying to make a Kyton cry. I was just wondering if we saw the bottem part of the first trap since it hasn't been mentioned yet.))
    Last edited by Beren One-Hand; 2008-05-07 at 06:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

With sufficient shattering of metal and some fey glee, Wellington eventually destroys the mechanism that controls the trap door.

OOC: I'm still not sure what you're talking about...Let me just say you have nothing to worry about the first trap at this distance.

If you're talking about the weight, well...I suppose you saw it in the pool. Oops.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

OOC:

I just looked back at the trap description and realized that it clearly said the wire ended about seven feet down the shaft. I was remembering it dissapearing into the depths.

Wellington 'de Luc

Once his sabatoge is finished, he carefully examines the hanging door before continuing on down the shaft, this time ready to search under the water if necessary.
    Last edited by Beren One-Hand; 2008-05-07 at 10:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Gunnar

"So... since we're doing the heavy lifting down there, I was wonderining," he rubs his neck, "could you guys set up the tents? Maybe cook us a meal or something?" Behind the beard it's hard to tell his joking, but his eyes crinkle and give him away. "We've got another 70'+ to check out, but I'll try to speed it up. Just a little longer, I think."

Gunnar disappears back into the tomb. When he catches up with Wellington he says, "They don't want to wait much longer. I think I can speed this up. If you watch for magic, I'll watch the stones. Most anything else would have been tripped by 25000 lbs of water rushing past. Right then?"

Gunnar infuses his helm* and starts down. "Stay ten or twenty feet above me, just in case, and let me know if you see a glimmer of magic (besides what I'm carrying)."
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Skill Item Infusion to grant +5 to search for 80 minutes.

Gunnar will walk down, full speed, relying on his dwarven stonecutting (and Wellington's magic detection) to reveal any dangers.
    Search - (1d20+26)[43]
    Gwydr

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Wellington 'de Luc

"Great Idea. If there's nothing until we hit bottom, I'll take over from there."

25. - Top - End - #55

The continued efforts of searching by Gunnar and Wellington reveal nothing. Nothing that is, until they reach the new bottom of the shaft. Once again, the water lies 4 feet deep and there are a pair of stone double doors, almost identical to the previous ones. However, this time, Gunnar is able to find that these doors seem that they can actually be opened, or at least they seem to be built that way. Wellington also spots on the doors though, a low-level abjuration spell that he is able to identify as another arcane lock.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Gunnar

"Did you say you were ready to go swimming? If you'd check below water level*, I'll look for surprises on the door."

After searching, Gunnar presumes a similar situation calls for a similar response, and hacking through has the benefit of leaving the water on this side.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Does Gunnar get his stonecutting derived auto-search below the waterline?

He takes another look at the doors search1 - (1d20+26)[36] search2 - (1d20+26)[46] before cutting.
    Gwydr

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Wellington 'de Luc

With a laugh, Wellington flips upside-down and with his wings beating furriously to hold him steady, he sticks his head under the water. Taking a moment to let his eyes adjust to the watery vision, he scans the area underneath for dangers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+10)[27]
    Search 1 (1d20+25)[33]
    Search 2 (1d20+25)[31]

If he doesn't see anything worrysome his wings stop beating and he quitely slides under the water. With a quick kick and spiral he swims next to the doors and examines them under the water.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search 1 (1d20+25)[40]
    Search 2 (1d20+25)[37]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Celebeld

Leaning back on the ground she throws her arms out and proceeds to let the sun catch her skin.

"Oh leave them be, if they need help they can call out, I do admit to getting slightly bored now. 2 hours of doing nothing, meh."

29. - Top - End - #59

ooc: I'm considering for most intents and purposes that if your head is outside the water, due to water's ability to refract light and stuff (don't ask how that works with darkvision though >>) You don't get any auto knowledge of the stuff beneath is and if searching outside the water would take a penalty. Anyway, are you cutting the door the same way you were before?

Gunnar finds that the doors once again are airtight, however sees no signs that they are anything less suspicious than doors. Fine dwarven crafted doors, properly constructed that they probably take only the mildest of touches to move them once unlocked.

Wellington's underwater exploration finds that the floor seems solid enough, no hairline fractures or small tiny bubbles of air on the bottom that might signify a trap door. His appraising search of the door also confirms Gunnar's findings, except he's not quite as able to appreciate the find craftsmanship of it.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

((Do they open in or out? If out, won't four feet of water make them difficult to open?))
    Gwydr