New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hell's Kitchen

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Hell's Kitchen

"Redeemed though she may be, she is still a demon. I trust that she would best know how to deal with her own kind. Just be ready to strike and give her time." Cyrick's voice is a calm whisper, and he makes no move to attack yet.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

"This is... unexpected. I've laid a magical Suggestion on her, successfully; she'll do what I'll tell her, as long as it's not directly self-harmful. I'm going to try to get information out of her."
    After that quick telepathic message to her allies, Shallashandra turns her thoughts towards the Marilith.

"Your lieutenants, in a plot to seize your position, petitioned my lord to have you removed. He sent me, imbued with his power and his authority. But I've found that the Nalfeshnee have misled us, and it's them I'm going to remove. Tell me how this affair started, and your plans. They played me false; do not do so yourself."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurukshetra nods to his companions, "Yes, she certainly would be best acquainted with how to stop this threat. Still though, I feel clumsy and helpless when we resort to diplomatic or enchantment as a solution to a problem that has to do with fiends..."

He chuckles, a rasping, hiss, and then settles a little more in his low crouch, like a hunting cat. "Maybe one day; my kind eventually do fairly well with magic and enchantments, though in diplomacy I am not so sure that we are renowned. But I am young, and have little grasp of the magical world--except where divinity and faith play their role."

His eyes are ahead the whole time, watching the scene outside of the alley as carefully as he can from this hidden, uncomfortably distant angle, and waiting for either the change in Shalla's voice, or the telepathic warning that might signal her need for help.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

4. - Top - End - #94

At Shalla's message, Cyrick breathes a sigh of relief. He then attempts to reply (still unsure if she can hear such replies) "Methinks it best to make it quick; it takes but one other demon with the ability to dispel such enchantments that recognizes what's going on to end the spell. Still, any information we can get is helpful."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

The marilith's eyes and nostrils flare at the story of her lieutenants, but she seems to be acting in a haze.

"[abyssal]This city... this world. I came here at a sorcerer's request. Here, in this city... I came at a sorcerer's conjuration...

I slew him, and called my army. I called my army and slew him. The sorcerer called me, and I slew him... fool.

War... mortals make... interesting foes. A mortal called me, I slew him... I made war on his people...

I called my army. I made war. Conquest.

The fight... was fun, the fighting and killing and eating. The eating was fun. I called my army, I made war, made conquest... the eating was...

I discovered... mortals, was fun. I stay... the mortals are fun...

I called my army... my army! conquest... I gave them fun... A mortal summoned me, a sorcerer... was fun.

I am betrayed!
    "

The last is roared, demonic anger flaring up in her. Then she subsides, and her gaze once more fixates on Shallashandra.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Kuru tenses as the marilith screams in anger. He restrains the urge to charge, and instead waits, coiled and posed, ready to spring.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

The marilith murmurs to herself, still staring intently at Shallashandra's eyes, her own eyes half-glazed.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

"Tell me about your traitorous lieutenants; we will take care of them. What are their powers, their weaknesses?"

"Whitescar, is there anything else you wish to know? Or should I get her to close her eyes and hold still?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

The marilith's jaw sets. "[abyssal]They are strong. Ni'gosh is my... was my military advisor, a most martial of the 'shee. He is an accomplished warrior and is... was my enforcer of enforcers... OH TO GET MY HANDS ON HIM!

Shujoggol is my magician... a sorcerer called me here... I killed him... Shujoggol set me free and killed he called me...

Shujoggol is my magician, keeps my horde in... support... TRAITOR!
    "

The marilith seems to focus somewhat thinking about her lieutenants, but quickly degrades again, her mind and essence roiling against the effects of the spell, mostly to no avail.

~

Whitescar waits for the demon to finish before replying to the thought. Holding still would be nice.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-04 at 08:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

"They will pay. Shujjogol--what are his most powerful spells?
    ...Where do your lieutenants spend their time?"

After the Marilith has answered the succubus nods. "Very well. I am going to put you in touch my lord. Privately."

Looking around, she barks orders and has the marilith do the same, clearing the area of dretches and humans alike, leaving, ideally, no one to watch (at least, no one who can't defeat her mindsight).

"This isn't an easy process; close your eyes and don't move. Both of us need to focus," she tells the Marilith, sending a "get ready, I'm going to hit her; come out if she doesn't go down" thought in Whitescar's direction. She places extra emphasis on "close your eyes and don't move."

And then she walks around the Marilith, and speaks a series of sharp, arcane words. The aura of her presence flares into life; the air stirs, she grips her staff...

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it possible to make a Coup de Grace? Do I need to roll initiative?
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-06-04 at 09:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

"[abyssal]I have never kept eye on those things."

The marilith does as she is told and waits.

Spoiler
    Show

No, yes.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

"Hit her now!" Shalla sends the thought out to her companions, and strikes herself. With a few murmured words, she casts a spell, and then another in rapid succession; a beam of dull green light lashes out at the marilith, followed wings of force smashing through the air, impacting against the marilith and the ground around her, sending chips of stone flying. She remains within easy range, but she's moving almost too quickly for the eye to follow, and the magic of her blink spell makes her a difficult target.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+19)[25]
    Move action: 10 feet but staying adjacent to the marilith to trigger Swift Surge. Shalla stays close to the marilith (autosuccess casting defensively) to draw her attacks.
    Swift action: Assay Spell Resistance.
    Standard action: Arcane Fusion[Ray of Clumsiness, Wings of Flurry].

Ray of Clumsiness: ranged touch attack - (1d20+10)[21]. AB is actually +19, so hits touch AC 30; SR check: (1d20+24)[30]; Dexterity penalty: (1d6+5)[11].
    Wings of Flurry: SR check: (1d20+24)[35]; (14d6)[50] force damage and Dazed for 1 round. A DC 28 Reflex save (with the dex penalty from RoC, woo woo) halves the damage and negates the daze. Massive damage save if we're playing with those, I guess!
    While we're at it, Shalla will use her "False Theurgy" skill trick to make Arcane Fusion seem to be Telepathic Bond in case the Marilith tries to Spellcraft it, so she should definitely be flatfooted vs. the ray.

AC 42, touch AC 32
    50% miss chance vs. attacks from Blurred Alacrity and Haste; separate 50% miss chance via Greater Blink (i.e. need to beat both to hit her--one's concealment, one's etherealness-part-of-the-time).
    40% miss chance vs. spells from Evasive Celerity and Haste OR 50% from Greater Blink; these don't stack, so use Evasive Celerity if Blink doesn't apply for some reason (e.g. a Force spell).
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-06-04 at 10:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

((OOC: I should have Zyldra rebuilt by the end of today. Is it reasonable to assume that she moved (invisibly) to within glaive range during the dialogue? I would have posted it, but wasn't sure if I was still in the game with a lost character sheet))

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Sounds alright to me, Solo

init for mari
    (1d20+8)[26]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

((feh, forgetful me reflex - (1d20+6)[21]

ack, bad modifier. +12. which puts it at 27, so no big change in plans.))
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-05 at 01:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurukshetra hears Shalla's voice in his head and he is springing forward like an arrow loosed from a bow. Half-bounding, half-flying, the radiant dragon hurtles through the air, toward the marilith. His claws leave long gouges in the stone of the alleyway, and a reverberating thrum escapes his deep lungs in a feral growl. Only with effort does he stifle the furious roar that tries to escape his chest.

Spoiler
    Show
    had a 13 initiative if i remember right. pathetic +11 didn't do much there... maybe i tripped in my haste to get out of the alley.

how far away were we in the alley? i've got 130-foot base move with haste going.

assuming that he can reach her in one move, kuru hits her two unarmed strikes, the first with a divine surge martial maneuver for +8d8 damage if successful.

first attack:
    (1d20+16)[25] assuming that the marilith is indeed evil. if not, +15.
    damage:
    (2d6+4)[14] unarmed
    plus (2d6)[7] again assuming that she is evil,
    plus (2d6)[7] skirmish
    plus [roll8d8[/roll] divine surge

second attack:
    (1d20+11)[14] to hit
    damage (unarmed+holy ki strike vs evil+skirmish):
    (6d6+4)[29]

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    this is gonna bug proven paradox, but i have to fix the divine surge damage. sorry for the 2nd post.

[roll0]

that didn't work. if you preview a post with a roll in it, does it screw up the roll? i knew it wouldn't post the result. duh. but i figured it would at least tell me that i had bracketed everything properly this time. well, i'll leave that for now, cuz i'm tired and don't want to deal with my lack of computer skills at the moment. aaron out.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2008-06-05 at 01:34 AM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

18. - Top - End - #108

"Battle be joined, Heinorious's thunder guide my hand!" Cyrick shouts this brief war chant and runs into the allyway.

He closes with the Marilith as quickly as he can and loudly, proudly chants a prayer to the Archpaladin to grant him strength to fell his foes.

Whitescar bolts out of the alleyway as well, likewise closing as quickly as he can. If possible, he will charge at the Marilith and strike at her as best he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cyrick
    HP: 193 +15 temp
    AC: 33, Touch 19, FF 32
    Effects: Haste (? rounds), Righteous Might (13 rounds)

Initiative: (1d20=10)
    Move action: Move as well as I can to close the distance with the Marilith (a map of some sort would be nice).
    Standard Action: Casting Righteous Might. Size becomes Large, strength +4, con +2, +2 nat armor, -1 size mod, and DR that's completely irrelevant here.

Whitescar
    HP: 156 (assuming cohorts get max HP/level too, lemme know if this is wrong)
    AC: 28, Touch 14, FF 24
    Effects: Haste (? rounds)

If possible: Charge attack
    Claw: (1d20+2=21, 1d6+8=9, 1d20+2=20, 1d6+8=9) (I typed 2 instead of 20 for his attacks; the claws should be 39 and 38 respectively)
    Bite: (1d20+15=27, 1d8+4=8)
    2 rakes: (1d20+20=25, 1d6+8=10, 1d20+20=38, 1d6+8=13)
    ((Gah, forgot to put Haste in there too. So all of those attack rolls are one higher.))

If he can't charge, he will double move into a position such that he's 20' from the Marilith.

Also, Stycotl, when you mess up rolls, I don't mind the double posting.

And yes, previewing posts causes the rolling to screw up like that. Where you see the [roll#] in the preview, make sure you go back and change it to what the roll should actually be.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-06-05 at 07:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm, ok, Shallashandra's first action should be on a surprise round, which only allows a partial. I think if we just take the standard and swift it should be fine, since then the mari is dazed the first round, making the move action moot.

Everyone else is going in order the first round. Some initiative for Paradox.
    cyrick - (1d20)[16]
    whitescar - (1d20+3)[21]

So the order is:
    Shallashandra (surprise, taken)

marilith (dazed, taken)
    Shallashandra
    Whitescar
    Cyrick
    Kurukshetra

and we're not quite sure where Zyldra is just yet.

((and 39 damage to the marilith via leadership))
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-05 at 11:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

As her allies close in on the dazed marilth, Shallashandra's aura continues to pulse; the sound of beating wings draws closer, and the wing-blasts of force hammering the Marilith intensify rather than fading away, keeping her from doing anything more than stumbling about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heightened Wings of Flurry, to 6th. (14d6)[47] damage, 1 round daze, DC 31 (it should've been 29 before, I misread) Reflex save for half damage and to negate daze.
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-06-05 at 12:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

(Whoops. Overcome SR check: (1d20+24)[37].)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

for the marilith
    reflex - (1d20+12)[19]

23. - Top - End - #113

Zyldra

Spoiler
    Show

Havn't done the sheet yet, so I'll work from memory for now
    initiative - (1d20+6)[10]

Zyldra concentrates for an instant and suddenly her innate eldritch energy manifests in the form of a glaive. She swings hard at her foe.

Spoiler
    Show

Attacking with Hellfire Vitriolic Eldritch Glaive

Attack 1 - (1d20+15)[25]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+9)[12]

EDIT: Forgot to factor in my size bonus to attack, and the bonus from haste consider each of those 2 higher. (I'm getting as bad as Durkon)

(vs touch AC)

for damage of:

[roll=Attack 1]14d6+5d6[/roll] (14d6 blast and 5d6 sneak attack)
    [roll=Attack 2]14d6+5d6[/roll]

Acid damage, bypassing SR. 2d6 acid damage for the next 2 rounds.

EDIT: Guess you can't combine dice like that
    Last edited by Solophoenix; 2008-06-05 at 01:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Spoiler
    Show

Damage rolls

(19d6)[68]
    (19d6)[65]...though I doubt this one hit

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

The marilith absorbs the full brunt of not one, but two ferocious buffets from Shallashandra's spells, and while she fights against the constant battering, the party assaults her unhindered.

((begin initiative again at Shallashandra))

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

The white-clad succubus, her clothes tinged with scarlet in her staff's light, continues to incant; the wings of force that strike the marilith and crack the stone around her continue to strike. In addition, dots of crimson light fly from the tip of her staff, impacting against the demon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Second verse, same as the first. Arcane Fusion[Wings of Flurry, Magic Missile].
    Wings of Flurry: SR check - (1d20+24)[30]; damage - (14d6)[48]
    Magic Missile: SR check - (1d20+24)[27]; damage - (5d4+5)[14].
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-06-05 at 03:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex - (1d20+12)[18]
    for the mari

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Kuru rebounds off of a wall after his pass, claws digging into the stone of the streets as he accelerates to attack velocity and again takes off after the marilith.

He takes stock of the situation as he bears down on her, eyes roving back and forth, up and down, searching for further enemies drawn by the clamor of battle.

Spoiler
    Show

last time i forgot to mention the iron guard's glare stance: all foes that i threaten take a -4 penalty to attacks against my allies.

first attack: vs marilith (if forgot to add my +2 to hit from vow o' poverty last time)

(1d20+19)[39]
    damage: (6d6)[20]
    plus white raven strike (4d6)[12], and flat-footed one round.

second attack: vs marilith if nothing else around. if something shows up, kuru will intercept it.

(1d20+14)[34]
    damage: (6d6)[21]

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

29. - Top - End - #119

The holy knight will attempt to move into a position that flanks with one of his allies, before holding his shield before him and chanting a low prayer. His shield glows with holy light as he surges forward with it, aiming to ram its spikes deep into the Marilith's flesh.

Whitescar continues to strikes at the Marilith with claw and fang while trying to maneuver himself into a position to flank her with an ally.

Cyrick
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 193 +15 temp
    AC: 33, Touch 19, FF 32
    Effects: Haste (? rounds), Righteous Might (12 rounds)

Move: Close the distance with the Marilith. If possible, move to flank with someone.
    Standard: Smite attack, power attack -6 (+12 damage), use the Awesome Smite's Demolishing Smite to ignore up to 18 points of DR, excluding DR/- and DR/epic. 2 smites remaining.

Smite Attack/Damage/Fire damage: (1d20+23=34, 3d6+31=41, 1d6=6) ((Add two to the attack roll if he can flank with someone))
    If she's still too far away he will move as far as he can with a single move action and cast Divine Might instead. (A map of some sort would be helpful in figuring out whether this kind of conditional is needed.)

Whitescar
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 156
    AC: 28, Touch 14, FF 24
    Effects: Haste (? rounds)

If he can take a five foot step and get into a flank or set someone else up to flank, he will do so.
    Full Attack.

2 Claws Attack/Damage: (1d20+20=25, 1d6+8=12, 1d20+20=36, 1d6+8=11)

Bite attack/damage: (1d20+15=28, 1d8+4=10)

All attack rolls assume no flanking; +2 to each if there is.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-06-07 at 01:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-07 at 01:14 PM.