New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The burning Lands IC

Svartroxi

"I have to agree with the horse-man. I know my people are generally seen as murderous beasts to the outsiders and I am fairly sure that the hag and the wolf wouldn't get much better reception. Nodding his head he continued. "No, our best bet is to get out of here and look for somewhere to settle, or at the very least rest ourselves until we can figure out what to do. If we absolutely have to go to the outsiders for help, our best bet would be to send the small one to get a good look at the people there and maybe make first contact. She is after all the least likely to be noticed. But I say we save that as a last ditch effort.
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show
    Artax Masters - Heavy Metal Master
    Badhbh o'Byrne - Practically dead already
    Dartanian Korsikova - Wilderness man and friend to all pokemon.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jax

Shrugging, Jax settles onto Jirono's back, twining her toes in his fur for purchase.

If you say so. Oh, and I think I can help us with shelter. Some long runners, or braided fur if it comes to that, should be all I need to take us up to a special hidey-hole.

She glances over at Anaxagoras.

And I bet I can plant it low enough that you can just jump in, if you have to.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Xal

Xal turns almost a shocked face over to Anagorax and Svartroxi. She then looks over at the centaur again and asks if pure confusement.

They have loggers? And thieves? They are savages...I didn't know there were even races that hosted many of those. And if I may ask, what is a Goublan or a Human for that matter?

Then she turns to the Black Ox and with a slight tremble in her voice she speaks.

But Hags aren't murderous people! Right? We just all do what I generally do....did in a day. I helped those in need. That is what Hags do, right?

Almost hopefully she looks up at the massive form of the Minotaur and speaks again.

Whatever is the case, now we can't risk going to those outsiders. Maybe one of their loggers even put the flame to this forest. They wouldn't get any wood then though. But then we must find a new place to go and a forest it must be. For Aili's sake.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Jirono

"As far as I know humans are some pink-skin dryad that don't like the forest much." says jirono "But some of them are pretty good, I saw one once that was almost as tree-loving as you." he says to seadew.

"As for our reception, I know that humans do have wolf-like creatures that live with them, so I think I'm ok, but I don't know about Xal."

((I don't have a clue what a werewolf is in-game, you can't blame me for this. as for the human I "saw", a random druid, safe to assume there was one once that at least visited in the magical forest.))

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jax

Jax repeats the words dreamily.

A pink-skinned dryad. What a funny thought! Sort of like a flower, but all over. Yes, I must see one of those for myself!

Oh, and Xal, you said that you lost your bag of herbs. Maybe we can start to keep an eye out for some, to replace them, you know?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Anagorax

Raising his eyebrow, the centaur looks over to Xal with a cruel grin on, Euripedes also bears his fange"Well, they used to have loggers. Or at least less now," the grin fades, "but now we need to move out. We've spent too much time in the open. If this fire was set by enemies they may come back to make sure nothing remains. Thanks to Saedew, with Aili we can start again, but we have to go now."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Jirono

"Yes, we should move" says jirono "But where?"

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jax

The petal shook her head, her hair continuing to wave for several seconds afterward.

When you don't know your destination, where seems to matter less than when. I say we go straight away from the forest, rather than following its boundaries. If we find a stream and follow that, it'll mean we won't be lacking for water, and might find more friends along the way too!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Svartroxi

In response to Xal, Svartroxi shrugs his shoulders, "From what I have been told, anything not human or humanlike in appearance is considered a monster."

Looking out across the field Svartroxi speaks again, "The small one is correct, where does not matter. I have no intention of going to the human settlement so if you wish to follow me you are all welcome, if not good luck in your venture." With that he turns and starts walking out into the field not in the direction of the human town.
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show
    Artax Masters - Heavy Metal Master
    Badhbh o'Byrne - Practically dead already
    Dartanian Korsikova - Wilderness man and friend to all pokemon.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Jirono

"Crap, we cant split up."
    says jirono "Seems like svartroxi is leading the way", then he follows, but keeps his eyes open and his ears searching for any sign of trouble.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Xal

Xal nods slightly to Jax and answers with a faint smile.

Thank you, Chrysanthemum, it would be great to get my hands on some herbs.

And then she turns and walks alongside Svartroxi and Jirono and thus also Jax.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

The six of you wander away from the burned forest, moving in a generally eastern direction for several hours. As you get further away, the taste of ash in the air fades and the smells of nature return. The grass and trees of the area beyond the forest don't look much different, but there is the difference of having never seen these particular trees before.

Between Anagorax and oddly enough, Saedew, you are able to find enough food and water for the day, but you do not find a stream. As you travel, several of you are able to run down a small deer and several rabbits for meat. Xal can find growing a few herbs and plants good for poultices and other medicinal uses.

Assuming you stop an hour after the sun leaves the sky, you've traveled for about seven hours, with only a few hints of other sentient life. It seems the direction you're traveling in is more virgin land than cultivated land.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jax

Through the travels, Jax tends to alternate darting up and forward to check on the landscape ahead, and settling onto the broad back of Jirono or Anagorax. She does her best to help Xal in the gathering of plants, but does nothing to help in the hunt - in fact, she seems a bit unsettled by the process, but says absolutely nothing about it.

As the night approaches, Jax glances at the sun disappearing quickly behind them - it's light replacing the now-dead glow from the burning forest.

Um. Back in the forest, I could use runner plants to help me bring in a hidey-hole, but I haven't seen those kind of vines out here. Any of you know how to weave grass? Or...well, I suppose we could just sleep out here.

Edit: Better info.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-27 at 02:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    But especially Jax.

The forest is completely burned down, and the fire is out.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Jirono

"My appologise, but I have not listen in sewing lessons. only in combat training." he says, clearly regretting his past actions, combat alone will not lead to survival. "I feel I should also appologise for the hunt, but my kind need to eat meat to survive jest as a plant needs the sun."
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2008-04-27 at 03:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

NinjaGuy

Anagorax

The centaur shakes his head, "Do not apologize for what you cannot control, my friend. Predator and prey have an intimate relationship, one that strengthens each of them. As long as you take sparingly, only what you need, and give thanks to the spirit of your prey, you do only what nature commands of you. In taking the slow and weak, we make the herd strong, breeding will increase amongst the strong, and their species will evolve more rapidly. However, that does not mean," the hunter's tone turns somber, "we have to enjoy it. This is what separates us from the savages that live under hewn branches. As for the cord you need, would hair suffice? If it will keep Aili safe, you may have locks from my hair, or if that will not work," Anagorax grimaces, "You may have some from my tail, though I would ask that we find a blade of some sort, first."

Spoiler
    Show

How did we eat the meat, anyway? Fire? Raw? Does someone have a knife, or did we just rip it open?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless someone has a spell for fire, you'll eat it raw. Jirono has claws, which do quite well in slicing meat.

18. - Top - End - #48

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if we'd trust a fire after what just happened...

Saedew

The dryad seems repulsed by what she sees as the murder of innocent animals, but, having lived her life caring for the trees, she knows the meaning of necessity and says nothing.

Saedew shakes her head to Jax's question. "I have never had to change the nature of plants - except sometimes to keep a foe out, and I doubt I have enough control to make a shelter like that."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Xal

Xal does participate in the hunt, but as soon as the prey is indeed taken down she turns away with a face full of disgust.

I do not know how to weave grass, Chrysanthemum, but I am sure in due time I can find out what is the best way. That does not help us now though. But I suppose we could sleep out here, we have not seen that many creatures around here anyway.

Then the hag thinks back to the fire and with a sad face she speaks again.

But maybe to be on the safe side we should take turns to stay awake and guard the rest. You know...just to be safe.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jax

Jax snuggles further into Jirono's fur for warmth. She speaks, a bit sleepily.

That sounds smart, Xal. Wake me when it's my turn.

Unless the wolf seems to object, she drifts off to sleep.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Jirono

"I would not recommend sleeping in my fur" says jirono "We lupic tend to roll around when we sleep." they he lies down, starting to sleep.

22. - Top - End - #52

Goblin

Saedew

The dryad smiles sadly. "Good idea. As Aili is my charge, I shall take first watch." Without another word, she places herself in the centre of the group, spreads her arms and closes her eyes, and becomes - quite literally - a tree.

Aili still twists around her roots, quite dwarfed by the larger oak.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

The night passes quietly, without any interruptions as you changed watch shifts.

The next morning, the sun rises and there is dew on the grass around you. The sun shines brightly in the east, and promises a warm day. There are a few puffy, white clouds across the sky, and the smell of ash from the forest is completely gone now.

There is enough meat and other items to feed you all for the day, but water will need to be found again, as none of you have anything to keep water in.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jax

Jax rises from a tufted mound of grass, somewhat the better for a night's rest. She quickly surveys the other five, finding all either sleeping or up and well.

She smiles briefly at the warm sun on her face, then chastises herself for doing so. Who was she to grin like a simpering idiot, with almost all of her friends dead behind them?

Ah well. Even after the world is destroyed, the sun rises the next morning. Jax began to use her magics to clean herself of the last vestiges of ash, and does the same for Xal, and anyone else who she thinks won't mind.

Once the others were up and about, she finally speaks.

Shall we continue on? I'll keep an aerial view - it shouldn't be too hard to spot any streams that we pass near. My throat is still sore from the smoke, and a little creek-water would go a long way to helping.

25. - Top - End - #55

NinjaGuy

Anagorax

Shaking his mane of hair with pleasure, the centaur admires his fresh coat, swishing his tail back and forth in excited contentment. "By all means. We should find a glade where we can make a more permanent camp. Security and a measure of privacy are too easily taken for granted, but sorely missed when gone
    ."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

She nods with a faint smile at Jax as she cleans her. A while Xal just sits there staring forward, but eventually she rises to her feet while grabbing something to eat.

Then I say we go and find a more suited place for us. But Chrysanthemum is right, we have to find water sometime soon.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jax

As the motley band set out again, Jax spent more time in the air, seeking out brooks and ponds that might have clean water for them.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

You all continue traveling in a generally eastern direction for another three or so hours. By this time, Saedew can feel the roots of Aili starting to edge into her skin, drawing moisture and nourishment directly from her. It doesn't hurt, just makes Saedew even more thirsty than she already was.

A half hour after this, Jax manages to spot from the air a small lake somewhat to the north and probably another half hour's walk. She can't tell from this distance if there is a stream or river feeding it though, or what might be around it.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jax

Jax darts down to about 10' up to report:

Hey! There's a lake off to the left, and further ahead. Looks good, but I'll go take a closer look. See you there in a few rabbit hops.

Having nothing further to report, she darts back up to about 60' up and zips ahead towards the lake. There, she'll do a quick circuit of the shoreline to see if there are predators there drinking, or perhaps some of the fabled Pink Skinned Dryads.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

As you get closer, you see a few buildings huddled around the north edge of the lake, and a small stream running from the north into the lake.

There is a single 'Pink skinned Dryad' at the edge of the water, doing something that you can't see without getting closer.