New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Cthulhu Tech; Aeon War 1; Shadows of Munich

"There was no unpleasant or overt monitoring. Everything sounded fine. Either they're very subtle, or the lines are pretty clean. More likely the former." Josephine says, "But I'm not a comm buff." She walks beside Hawk, arms crossed.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I guess not," he says with a faint nod, trotting along beside her. He sucks his teeth for a moment, before he looks at her again.

"So what made you agree to get a piece of hardware bolted onto your frontal lobe so you could swim in a biomechanical critter's chest cavity? ...I mean, from a professional point of view?"

3. - Top - End - #183

"Because I always believed myself to be worth more than what I was born for." Josephine says, not just calm but seemingly happy, "Any ordinary human being can have wealth or influence, I had both and it was tasteless. When you see the world today, the magic and the horrors that abound, that kind of stuff, wealth and status, it can all just shrivel and die in the face of such things. But the Engel is mankind's greatest power. When I was presented with it, I couldn't refuse. I don't see it professionally. It's more an article of faith. By my very nature I was unable to tell the brass I would go back to piloting any sword class mech when, right there in my command, I could have the Engel."

She looks at the palm of her paler hand as she says this. She clenches her fingers as though she had the world in her hand and wanted it controlled, obscured because she said so. Realizing something, she then she smirks a little. "I must sound really crazy, huh? You must think it's the machine talking or something."
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-04-27 at 06:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184

George shrugged casually, but on the inside he was elated over his find. "What can I say, I like to be prepared. I can respond to problems much more quickly and efficiently if I have my gear on-hand, rather than having to run down to the nearest armory to get it. Which as we all know is the first thing to get struck in any attack." After he finished speaking, he glanced around the armory trying to spot something. Not seeing it, he turned back to the guy. "You got any cleaning kits? Can't let these puppies spoil."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

He actually laughs a little at that. "Crazy...I don't know. Only as crazy as me wanting to be a recon pilot. I know how it feels to be put in something that is that powerful...I mean when I did my initial mech trials, I was in a Claymore. Hardly compares to your Seraph I know but..."

He sighs, shaking his head with a little smile. "...kind of hated it. It was too big, too...too rahr. I wanted something a little smaller, a little less obvious. Something that I could get up reeeeeal close with before I kicked the bastards in their little shrimpy funbags." With that he punches his right fist into his left palm. "POW. Right in the balls."

Then with a lopsided smile, he looks back at her. "So that's how I got into a Rapier for the first time. Won't pilot anything else, now, unless it's my motorcycle."
    Last edited by SteelAngelJohn; 2008-04-27 at 08:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186

"I can understand. Everyone is appealed to by a different kind of power." Josephine says. "The very first mech I piloted was just a standard issue broadsword on a training mission. I was pretty helpless in it. Had no idea what I was doing at the time – but even though I know that now and I knew it back then, I always associated it with the machine. I don't like that feeling of helplessness...of smallness. So I like having the biggest mech around."

She smiles. "Also, Jophiel has been a great pleasure to pilot. It's difficult to explain, maybe you've heard it before, maybe not...but when you get in the Engel, it's like, you can feel it's personality. Jophiel really appeals to me. On the battlefield we behave and feel in such a like way – but it's not like a person and a machine. It's more like two old friends; or a couple that can finish each other's sentences. It's like I don't tell it what to do – more like it knows."

She plays with a lock of her hair. "I guess it's good that we get along well. It'd take a brain surgery and a week of painful recovery to be assigned a new Engel. And I've heard that the transition isn't good. It's like...well, I've heard guys say it's like when your mother dies and your father tries dating again."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

George

Spoiler
    Show
    Over there but....

The officer looks over at an Aisle George hadn't checked yet before returning to outrage at your choice.

THAT is your idea of a defensive weapon?! Seriously?

He sighs.

That's not enough. This armory is highly secure, and specially designed to be a hard point in case of an attack. I'm afraid you're going to need to show me your authority. Otherwise you are not getting anywhere near that... thing.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

8. - Top - End - #188

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleeping now. Night (or...day?)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I haven't been sleeping much lately. I blame it on the N'athm.

Lutana furrowed his brow and rose from the bed. This revelation was by far the most troubling thing he had yet heard about the base.

"It's almost as if they wanted the base to be infiltrated. Now that we know, we can't just stand idly by and let this go on. We need to talk to the people in charge... like that Craig fellow we met earlier. Also we should check the personnel records and see when everyone's last mind scan was performed. This doesn't seem like the sort of things blanks would... or could... be involved with, but we might as well check. Also, if the boss doesn't mind, I'd like to perform a little ritual just in case it's something the brain scans won't pick up. I'll need some time to prepare, but I could have eldritch faculties in place by tomorrow morning if I skip a night's sleep. If we worry about sleeping, well, I could have still be ready by tomorrow night."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Lutana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rich becomes animated at the mention of blanks, but soon pipes down again

Err... how do we tell that guy about this without revealing I ended up snooping around? I don't think he'd be too happy about that, it's tampering with base security. I only did it cos I know I wouldn't get caught
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-04-28 at 01:25 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

11. - Top - End - #191

BlueWizardGirl

"If we end up improving base security as a whole, he shouldn't mind any tests we conduct in the process of helping him. The first step in solving a problem is recognizing its existence. Besides, remember who we work for... the Office of Internal Security. We're inside, and we're talking about security. This is our department."

He paused for a moment and then added, "Look, if it scares you that much, I'll talk to him about it."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Lutana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I suppose. You're streatching it a bit though

Rich smiles. It's clear he has no objections to "streatching it."

He's prety high ranking, if what he said was true. Why didn't he ware insigna, if he bothered to put that fancy uniform on?

Rich sighs. He hated having to deal with manipulative authority figures, a thing he didn't keep secret from his colleague. He respected authority too much.

You go talk to him. You want me to try and rig this to door to actually be secure? I can probably try and jam the exterior signel, make it only take commands from within. Probably even more against the rules, but... if you're in deep, go deaper, right?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-04-28 at 06:03 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

13. - Top - End - #193

BlueWizardGirl

"Sounds good. Might as well make sure that we're secure now, in case securing the rest of the base takes some time... as I imagine it will."

***Later***

Lutana knocked, somewhat tentatively, on the door of an office suite which apparently housed someone who might be named Craig... but given the size of the building, he still wasn't quite sure if he was in the right place.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ouch." He makes a face. "And I suppose jealousy is the last thing you want from sixty feet of biomechanical war machine...you don't strike me as a Malach type anyway. I knew a couple of those guys on the Victory, and they were...kinda scary."

Shivering a little, he stuffs his hands deeper in his pockets. "Talkin about how the things liked killing. And how they'd get twitchy if they didn't have much to kill. I can't really imagine that. I don't suppose, uh, Jophiel does that?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Lutana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who did you ask for directions, and who did you ask for?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-04-28 at 06:23 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

16. - Top - End - #196

Spoiler
    Show

Ooohkay folks.. that's 4 pages since my last visit I had to read through..
    This should probably be listed in the OC thread, but could we perhaps take breaks during the weekend? I feel like my character has experienced 12 hours of ingame inactivity due to being unable to respond.. this is likely going to happen every weekend for me, so if there's anything to be done about it, let us discuss in the OC thread..

I respond negatory to Craig's question. I head to my quarters, unpack, and take a shower to relax a bit. I then change into something more serviceable like some overalls. Letting my wallet slip into my pocket I hear something big moving past outside the window. Looking outside is my first view ever of an Engel apart from images. Wanting to see this marvel up close I leave my quarters to find the hangar where it ends up. Walking in, I might or might not see Hawk and Arc conversing there..

If I do: A friendly wave, and "Hi Hawk" to Hawk, to Josephine I nod "Ma'am" and continue to see the Engel. I wonder how much theory from textbooks and experience with ordinary mechs will match up if I ever have to fix its parts..
    Anyone feeling like conversing with me while I gaze with awe at the Engel might as well do so now, if not I'll start getting acquinted with the other techies..
    It might have been yours, perhaps, but never mine. And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing.

17. - Top - End - #197

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Moral Wiz View Post
    Lutana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who did you ask for directions, and who did you ask for?
    Spoiler
    Show
    *sigh* I knew you'd want me to roleplay that. Want me to roll my Bureaucracy? Incidentally, since I don't know "Craig"'s last name and it would be rude to ask for him by his first name (yes, I realize the irony of this, but even a rude man is sometimes cautious), I think I'll try a different technique.

Making his way to the end of the hall, Lutana accosted the aforementioned easily distracted security guard.

"Excuse me, sir, but could I speak to your superior about a matter of potentially great importance?"
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-04-28 at 07:11 AM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAngelJohn View Post
    "Ouch." He makes a face. "And I suppose jealousy is the last thing you want from sixty feet of biomechanical war machine...you don't strike me as a Malach type anyway. I knew a couple of those guys on the Victory, and they were...kinda scary."

Shivering a little, he stuffs his hands deeper in his pockets. "Talkin about how the things liked killing. And how they'd get twitchy if they didn't have much to kill. I can't really imagine that. I don't suppose, uh, Jophiel does that?"
    "Jophiel does like killing...a lot." She says, but quickly adds, "But he's subtle about it. It takes a while for him to get impatient. Sometimes he's content for weeks just getting to fly every other day. Sometimes he waves his tentacles and twitches his horns like an angry kid throwing a tantrum, but it's pretty harmless."

She wraps the lock of hair completely around her finger. "Engel Pilots might seem frightening, but at least for me the last thing I want is to scare off anybody. Sometimes I can't help it," She taps on her head, "But when I'm calm I don't want to seem like an outsider. I try very hard to keep control of myself."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

David
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can you please use third person when posting. Sorry, but as everyone else is using it, it's a bit off putting to have to switch between the two

As for weekend posting. I'm plotting some game structure. Watch this space.

As you walk in to the Hanger (as the others are going out), you are spotted by the resident Techs. One comes over to you

Hay, who are you? This hanger's supposed to be off limits to all standard personnel.

Lutana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I just wanted to know who you asked for. Field Marshal Craig? An officer called Craig (describing him afterwards)?

What you ask for affects what you get.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

20. - Top - End - #200

David
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Can you please use third person when posting. Sorry, but as everyone else is using it, it's a bit off putting to have to switch between the two

As for weekend posting. I'm plotting some game structure. Watch this space.

As you walk in to the Hanger (as the others are going out), you are spotted by the resident Techs. One comes over to you

Hay, who are you? This hanger's supposed to be off limits to all standard personnel.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor yet essential detail: it's Daniel, my CO is named David
    Spoiler
    Show

Gah! I usually try to post in third person, or at times write it in first person and then remember it should be third (lot's of editing from I to he and my to his) and sometimes I might forget altogether for a myriad of reasons.. My bad Would like to say it won't happen again, but knowing me I'll probably make the mistake more often, despite trying not to..

Daniel approaches the Tech casually.
    "Hi there, I'm Daniel Levi.. and as to what I'm doing here, I could elaborate, but the guys from upstairs will have my head as a paperweight if I told you. Just pulling your leg there." Daniel smiles. "Seriously though, this building in general is my new assignment. I'm a Tech myself with some fools errand team that requires their mechs up and running, and since it's likely I'll be required to have frequent interaction with you guys I went down here for basic introductions and such." Daniel sizes the man up and tries to get an indication on his age.
    It might have been yours, perhaps, but never mine. And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

David
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcotech third class Murrey. Nice to have you with us, David.

The man, like you, seems to be middle aged. He's bald, and speaks with an accent showing that he's from America. He's wearing slandered Tech overalls, NEG blue and grey

You want to take a look around? We've gotten some nice tools in here. THis must be an important assignment.

Most of us know each other, but you've been flown in special. Perhaps you can show us what you can do?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-04-28 at 01:21 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

22. - Top - End - #202

"I'd have liked to spend a little time getting to know the place, but I think after eating I might have to turn in." Josephine says, "I don't want to wake up late to the first assignment I have with these people."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Engel pilots don't really scare me," he says, shaking his head with a faint smile. "I don't understand why you'd do it but...hey, that's no skin off my nose. It's the Engels themselves. Especially those Aral things. I had to run a few missions alongside Arals and whenever those hatches would open in front..."

He shudders softly, then tilts his head, looking at Josephine. "Agreed. Let's find food and split."

24. - Top - End - #204

BlueWizardGirl

Lutana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I just wanted to know who you asked for. Field Marshal Craig? An officer called Craig (describing him afterwards)?

What you ask for affects what you get.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh. Well, in that case, I'll go with door number two... an officer named "Craig," followed by a description. Sorry about the confusion.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawk & Josephine

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, but the two of you were having such good character development, I didn't want to break it up

You find the Mess to be a pretty relaxed outside establishment, with several large tin pots of food being kept under a tarpaulin. The workers on duty dole out the traditionally generic main course for outdoor mass prepared food; stogelike meaty stew.

However, it's not so bad a place as it sounds. The staff are smiling, and don't splatter the stew around. And it actually tastes rather good.

There are the usual associated groups of soldiers. None of them are in armour, leaving it hard to guess who's who. But none of them wear the E sign of the Engel Project.

Most of those there seem to be sitting in their own groups however. Judging by the rapport between each other, it's a fair guess they tend to eat in squad based groups, rather than socialize with others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actual spoiler (if a mild one) that explains the reason everyone's eating in squads.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is mostly a transnational facility; it's where new recruits come to, and are sent out from.. Most of the base's own staff are the brass, a core team of techs, and a squadron or two for base defense. These guys are in for the day, and will be out on the morrow.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stew? It'll do, he supposes. Taking his food to a table he sits down, eyeing it and gathering up his utensils.

"Could be worse...could be better but could be a lot worse..."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Lutana
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get a smiling nod from the guy you ask

Craig? Oh yes, he's in the office 32a on the 25th

And yes, he's really a Field Marshal. Carry on

You head to the room, after a battery of security checks, and rap on the door. Craig's voice issues from within

Enter
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

28. - Top - End - #208

George stared at the guy in shock. "What?! Okayokay, hold on." He walked a short distance away and crossed his arms, chewing on his thumbnail. Then he remembered the note Craig gave him. He snapped his fingers and retrieved it from his pocket. Returning to the clerk, he held out the note. "This ought to clear things up. I forgot I had it for a while." He smiled and waited.
    Last edited by Ghal Marak; 2008-04-29 at 12:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Meanwhile, at an entirely different mess

Erik casually salutes the Colonel and walks over to the group's table. "Second Lieutenant Erik Messer, sir. Mecha corps, just transferred in today, and doing a little self-guided tour of the establishment."

Erik doesn't stand at attention, but he does remain standing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

30. - Top - End - #210

Josephine takes her own food and sits down along with Hawk. She eats in a very self-conscious manner, making sure not to speak until she's swallowed, wiping her mouth, holding her spoon delicately. She is even mindful of the noise she might make eating.

"I agree. At least nobody is shouting in our ears to eat faster." She says.

Spoiler
    Show
    No problem Wiz. I liked it myself and am glad you did too.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-04-28 at 10:01 PM.