New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infected! IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Infected! IC

It's been cloudy for several days; however, for February, the snow is light for Massachussetts. While Forge Village was never a large town, the recent infection has left the streets eerily empty. With the spread heading inland from the coast, more than half of the residents have fled to the Midwest seeking military aid. No news of their success has been heard and it's been almost four weeks since anyone last came through the town.

Throughout the city there are abandoned cars, some overturned. Many of the shops have been broken into, the contents inside looted by the people fleeing the town. Very few supplies remain and, the little that does, is quickly becoming spoiled. Scattered about the town are various groups of survivors, some merely families trying to live out the scare. Others are friends, even enemies, that have banded together, keeping the motto of safety in numbers at heart.

Rumors have stirred that Sheriff Leatherwood and Detective Reed cleared out many of the Infected. No one knows the definite answer; mostly people are afraid to leave their homes. Although, six days have passed since the last Infected was spotted outside City Hall. With the small size of the city, it was easy to hear the Infected and it's victim screaming... then, a gunshot echoed across the night... then another.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your job is to meet one another; I'm not certain who already knows who but I left it fairly open for exploration.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Infected! IC

Trent moves quickly through the looted streets and destroyed shops, searching for supplies, or better yet a working car to hotwire. As he hears the shots ring out through the town, he pulls his pistol mumbling to himself "Damn things just keep coming."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+7)[16]
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    Talk to LordRod if you want him to make you an avatar as cool as mine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sam Reed
    I stalked through the dangerous streets I had walked so often. It seemed such a long time ago, when the worst I had to fear was from some two-bit thug who decided I was an easy mark. Now, there were these creatures that knew no fear, and whose bite was a sure way to make yourself one of them.

It was quiet, tonight, and the infected hadn't smelled blood. I knew I would have to be wary, though. The infected were fast, and while any human had the brains advantage over them, it took only a single second's lapse to lose it all. I've seen many old friends turn, as the infected overtake them one by one.

I wasn't a detective any more, not since four years ago. But to the survivors I was Detective Reed all the same. I suppose in these times, they grasped what authority they could.

But this wasn't the time nor the place for deep thought. We were making a move for one of the old grocery stores, to try and find more food. And if we failed... Well, that would be two more zombies for the next party to contend with.

I stayed silent, knowing the advantages of it all too well. You could hear the zombies better, you were less distracted so you payed more attention to the tip-offs, and the zombies couldn't find you as easily. Well, not from as far away, at least.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-04-29 at 07:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

John Ellington:

How long has it been? Since I've seen another normal human being? It's been close to twenty miles since the last town. What a mess it was. Hopefully this one will be better. Maybe there will be some food. I don't even dare hope for survivors. I just hope that the mutants are gone.

John sits perched in a tree about a quarter mile outside of town, trying to assess the situation before entering the new town. After about twenty minutes he hears the screaming and the gunshots.

There must be others... I wonder if I can help...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (d20+1)[15]

He takes another look around his immediate area before dropping down out of the tree. He slings his backpack over his shoulders, makes sure that his whip and machete are accessible and nocks an arrow in his bow before stalking off into the town as quickly and quietly as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently - (d20+2)[7]
    Listen - (d20+1)[15]
    Hide - (d20+2)[18]
    ROLL=Search]d20+9[/ROLL]
    Spot - (d20+1)[19]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jonny---

Gas damn, Gas. I need to find more of the stuff. It's like liquid gold now. How in the world am I supposed to outrun these crazy people if I have to leave my bike behind?

Jonny's prowling around at the old 44 gas station at the edge of town.

Now if I can just somehow check the tanks here. This place was never popular so maybe it got overlooked. How in the heck do I get to the tank under the cement without any juice for the pump is beyond me...

Crouching behind the counter Jonny whips out his pistol at the ringing of gun shots.

No way I'm going to check that out! What if it's dad though? Even if it's not what if it's some poor little kid... Crud.

Jonny pokes his head up far enough to peep out the front window and look outside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20-1)[15]

Dropping back to his hands and knees he scuttles out the back entrance the way he came in. Glancing real quick to make sure his bike is still well hidden yet easily accessible he works his way towards the ruckus staying out of the open and hopping fences to throw off any watchers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+8)[27]
    MS: (1d20+8)[12]
    Listen: (1d20-1)[17]
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-04-29 at 01:40 PM.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Some dude in New Orleans told me a story, 'bout some dude called Crusoe in a sinkin' ship, and instead of choosing the bones in the safe, he took any tools he could find, always found it kinda heroic, never thought I'd i'd actually need tools more than cash.

It had been a long time since the Mutants had apparently left, it was lucky that Desanudeis was still alive, he'd spent a long time hiding from people before, mostly the Cops, trouble was that most of the looting was already done, the Electronics and cash had probably gone first, there were a few scraps of food unspoiled that he picked up, and a wooden baseball bat, seemed sensible.

Des poked his head over the roof of the car, making sure the coast was clear before he tried heading back to the Freight Station, the sounds of screaming and gunfire pulling his attention away from the cloudy horizon, his first immediate thought was to generally stay away from the sounds of gunfire, but if there were people alive out there, they may be willing to barter for food and supplies.

He heads off towards the noise, baseball bat on hand.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian Donnelly

"You guys stay here in this house. Don't make any sounds, don't open the front door, and don't stand near any windows. This neighborhood is quiet, and there is still some food in the fridge. I will head out and try to find some more survivors or supplies. I will come back to you... I promise..." Ian says to Nathan, Audrey, and Kate, the only other three survivors of the group that he has led to Forge Village from Boston University. He tossed the Remington 12-guage shotgun he had been carrying to Nathan, along with all his shells. He would be fine with just his Beretta, he hoped.

There were originally nine that left UB with him... but not anymore. That was Ian's failure as their leader and he bore the responsibility of their deaths and infections on his shoulders. He had to put down Carl himself, and he and Kate were gonna get married in the Summer of next year. He didn't know what prompted him to leave Boston, but the entire city had fallen to complete chaos. He had thought it safer to leave for a less populated town, one where he could still easily find supplies and food, but with a smaller amount of infected.

Sometimes he wasn't that smart at all.

The neighborhood was near Forge Village's downtown, and he felt that would be the best place to start his search. Before leaving he looked up at a a street sign. "Spooner Street," he said to himself, burning that name into his memory.

He had been trained in the army to keep quiet and hidden, and he used those skills now. He kept his pistol in his hands at all times, but his trusty knife "Lucy" was always accessible. He had already used her to cut out the liver of one of the infected. He had discovered through his study of the virus thus far that the liver was important to the virus' rapid growth in the victim's system, but for what reason and how he was not sure.

He shivered in the February cold and zipped up the thick leather jacket that he was wearing. It had been scavenged off of a dead biker they had encountered while following the highway to Forge Village and it offered some protection from attacks by Infected. He had had his life saved by it more than once.

He approached downtown, weaving and ducking behind abandoned vehicles and glancing inside each one for anything useful. He heard the gunshots coming from Downtown and carefully worked his way in that direction. The Infected, as far as he knew, didn't use guns. There were survivors that way, and by the sound of things, they need his help.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Silently (1d20+4)[7]
    Hide (1d20+4)[11]
    Spot (1d20+0)[5]
    Search (1d20+9)[11]
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-04-30 at 08:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

David Johnson

David stared into his own tired reflection, slightly distorted in the cracked mirror he had propped up against the wall he was currently using to shave with. His eyes were slightly bloodshot from many nights of little sleep, sometimes staying awake in the hopes of finding someone else but more often than not just keeping watch on where he was staying. He attempted again to get rid of the thick stubble covering his jaw but the razor was long past the point where it could be useful and so with a small sigh he threw the blunted thing away.

It had been a long while since he had seen anyone, he had only seen a dozen or so people since the outbreak, and only one of those he had been able to save from their fate. He had proved good company for a short while until something snapped inside of him... David still remembered having to take his axe to the man and he would likely remember it until the day he died.

As the scream and gunshot echoed its way into David's current hideout he was quick to react, his ears straining to pinpoint the direction it came from. Shifting his readily packed backpack onto his shoulder he grabbed up his axe from where it lay in the corner and stepped outside, heading over to the sound with a tight grip on his weapon and an eye out for trouble. Lets just hope theres actually someone alive this time...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

After listening to the gunshots for a few seconds, Trent decides that he may as well find out who's about to get eaten, and just how many were there to eat them. "Yes yes yes, go check it out you dolt. Go ahead and get yourself bitten. It's not like you're going out of your way to do something. Those idiots will probably be dead before you get there anyway" Trent mumbles to himself while he heads towards the sound.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+1)[14]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[9]
    Hide: (1d20+8)[13]
    Move Silently: (1d20+8)[20]
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    stupid internet connection made me double post.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by JackTR69; 2008-04-29 at 05:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You had just found a working flashlight when the gunshots sounded from the center of the city. As you are coming out of the hardware store you see a shadow in the street; in it's movements you can tell they are carrying a weapon of sorts. They're moving meticulously through the abandoned vehicles; trying their best to use them as cover. You know enough about the Infected to know they don't move like this.

To Sam:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You quietly think to yourself while awaiting the Sheriff to give the all clear for the grocery store... then you hear the screams and gunshots.

To John:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving just outside the city, you slowly come up to a garage and gas station. For a brief moment you catch a glimpse of movement from the entrance doors. You quickly kneel behind a bush peering down the shaft of your knocked arrow. Taking a thorough scan from afar, you no longer see any signs of life.

To Jonny:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your search for fuel is fruitless; however, you find a hose near one of the parked cars. From your experience, it looks like the gas was recently siphoned. As you come to the fence, you peer over to see a man in a parka. He's carrying a large bat and walking quietly down the street. His eyes are peaking around corners... he is heading in the same direction as you.

To Des:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you walk down the street, there's nothing to be heard. All is silent throughout the town. When you come to the main intersection, you see where you think the noise came from; you stop for a moment, trying to determine the source. However, crowding the streets are abandoned cars and random debris. You can't make out what is in the road.

To Ian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's not much you see when you're moving down the street. Fortunately, there are plenty of places to take cover. You start to near the origin of the noise and in the distance, you see a stationary figure in the dark.

To David:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you come out of the old fire station, you realize how close you are to the source of the gunfire. Nearing the intersection, you move behind a dumpster for a moment. There have been no noise since the gunshot. No one running, no one driving... this makes you uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Boggs; 2008-04-30 at 04:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trent follows the person he saw, letting him find the infected first.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian Donnelly

Ian crouches and points his Beretta at the figure. "Hey, buddy. You normal?"
    If he gets an answer he will put his weapon down. If the response is a screech followed by the figure turning and running at him, he will open fire.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-04-30 at 02:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

John

After scanning the station for a few minutes, John cautiously approaches the front doors, careful to remain as hidden as he can. If that was one of them in here, I can't afford to leave it behind me... He peeks into the window and if he doesn't see anything he checks to see if the door is unlocked. If it is locked and there aren't any obvious entry points such as broken windows he will continue towards the sounds of gunfire. If it is open he will sling his bow across his back and ready his machete and will search the station for life first, steeling himself for the potential that there may be mutants inside, and if he finds none he will look for useful supplies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search - (d20+9)[25]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jonny---

Jonny looks at the man for a second and carefully takes aim following the man quietly and staying hidden as the man moves.

Only if the man appears normal (Des ), "Psst, Hey you. Are you crazy walking around in the open like that. Go hide before those things see you. Didn't you hear those gun shots stop. Someone got what they wanted and it's probably not the shooter..."
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat

16. - Top - End - #16

David

David peaks out from behind the dumpster he was currently using to hide behind, his ragged breath visible in the cold air. It was quiet here, far too quiet... Cautiously he begins to scan the area, trying his hardest to notice anything, or anyone. He also keeps an eye out for anything else he could use to hide behind or anything he could climb up, such as a fire escape and will attempt to creep over to it if he does spot anything that would be useful.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot - (1d20-1)[9] hide - (1d20+2)[15] move silently - (1d20+2)[4] search - (1d20+8)[24] I don't know which, if any of these are needed so use as appropriate

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Des had taken a few badly pulled off attempts at staying hidden, he wasn't really trying, in his rush to get to the source of the noise, his tongue was rested just below his lip as he poked his head over the parked cars, too many wrecks, blocking his sight.

A voice appears from amongst the wreckages and buildings, telling him to hide, a lot of Homeless were crazy, constantly hearing things in their head, Des hadn't been one of those, maybe all this stress of death had gotten to him, because as far as he could see, there was nobody in the streets, he looked around, before hesistantly raising his head, "God?"

He shook his head, snapping out of it, and then ducking below a car, whoever it was, it was sound advice to hide.

Hide: [roll]d20+1[/roll]
    Last edited by Acco Spoot; 2008-05-01 at 05:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jonny---

"Yes ray it's me. Now hide before some crazy psyco killer spots you and comes near where I'm hiding."

Not sure if a person that thinks God is actualy talking to him is sane but also now sure this individual isn't likely to try and eat him.

"Over here. Did you hear that gunfire too or was that you?"
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sam Reed
    A scream rang out through the frosty air, then gunshots. One. Two.

Someone was caught by surprise. I drew my revolver and ran briskly to the grocery store, keeping a close watch for more of the zombies, never moving too hurriedly.

As I reached the grocery store, I swung around the corner a safe distance away from the entrance...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian

(To Jonny and Des)
    Seeing the shape dive for cover, and hearing human voices, Ian stands up and lowers his weapon. He makes sure that he is easily visable to the other two figures. "Hey! Name's Ian, I'm...new to town."
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-05-02 at 01:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jonny---

Startled by another person just up the road Jonny not whips his pistol in that direction.

"What the. You people are coming out of the woodwork. Was either of you the one who screamed and shot? Sounded further away than we are here. If not we need to go."

Starts looking a bit more like a scared kid all of a sudden, "Maybe we should stick together. Just be quiet and don't walk out in the middle." Jonny gives Des a meaninfull look with the last bit.

"And don't think you can take my stuff. I got a gun and will use it if I have to."
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian

Ian lifts up his arms in a peaceful gesture. "Save that weapon for the Infected, kid. I'm the least of your worries."

He walks up to the other two men. "I just came here from Boston University, leading a small group of survivors. Only a few are left. They're holed up in a house on Spooner Street. I too heard the screaming and shooting and came to investigate when I found you fellows."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well I guess if we're making introductions..."
    Trent steps out of hiding wearing his dark leather trench coat and shoulder length black hair, his arms open in an inviting gesture (even if one hand is holding a weathered Glock that didn't belong to him until recently).
    "I'm Trent, and I think it's more important to find out what the hell who was shooting at then it is to bother with any more introductions. Now let's find out what's going on before we waste any more time talking about that sweet little lady that you left at home."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jonny---

Jonny talks as he starts to move, "Man I shoulda fired a shot or two days ago. Everyone left in town seems to come charging in."
    Jonny starts moving quickly towards the shots staying low and (hopefully) out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+8)[13]
    MS: (1d20+8)[20]
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-05-02 at 04:53 PM.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

John:

John finds nothing in the abandoned gas station worth scavenging, nor any living creatures. So he quickly sets out in the direction of the shots and the screams. As he cautiously peers around the corner of the first street he comes to he sees a handful of people in the distance who don't seem to be acting as infected do. He scans the area for any other threats before continuing towards them as quietly as possible. Maybe they'll have some information that's useful, but I had better not yell at them from here, I need to cover some of this ground first. He heads towards the group as fast as he can while moving as quietly as possible, but if they look his way he will try to get their attention silently.

Current Characters:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To Jonny, Ian, Des, and Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While you are all talking, you hear a faint scraping noise coming from around the corner. It comes in short segments but it is definitely movement. It comes from the direction Ian and Trent were coming from originally; just on a different street.

To John:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can make out their voices but not too distinctly. What little you can distinguish are the words "infected" and "gunshots". Also, as you're leaving the gas station you catch a brief glint on the concrete. You find, what's left, of a Police Officer's belt. There's not much to scavenge; although, you find a set of handcuffs and one clip of 7 9mm rounds.

To David:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're about midway up the City Hall fire escape when you hear several voices. From the ladder you can make out about four figures, all of them seem to be male. While listening to their conversation, you hear a slight, repetitive scraping noise coming from across the street.

To Sam:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking cover inside the grocery store, you peer outside to get a better look. There's not much you can see from this distance. City Hall isn't too far from here and that's where the gunshot was heard. It's also been awhile since you heard back from the Sheriff.

27. - Top - End - #27

David

Squinting from his vantage point on the fire escape David could just make out a small group of four people. He could hear snatches of whatever they were talking about and so realised they must be normal, those infected don't normally hang around to converse. As he turned around and began climbing back down to the ground he could faintly hear a scratching sound coming from a street nearby the group. Lightly touching down on the ground he began to make his way towards the group as silently as he could, meeting up with these was just what he needed right now, being ripped to shreds by whatever was making the sound was definitely not and so picking his way from cover to cover as quietly as he could David started moving in on the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide - (1d20+2)[14] Move Silently - (1d20+2)[19]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jonny---

Jonny looks up in alarm as he hears the scraping sounds. Whispering to everyone nearby, "Did you hear that? Stay down. Stay quiet. I'll check it out, come along if you want but keep quiet." Jonny moves in the direction of the sound moving very slowly and being extra careful about noise and hiding.
    ((ooc: If anyone starts making to much noise Jonny motions them to wait where they are. Jonny will use his Binoculars as necessary.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+8)[19]
    MS: (1d20+8)[22]
    Listen: (1d20-1)[11]
    Spot: (1d20-1)[18]
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian

"I'll come with you."
    Ian says quietly, he crouches and follows Jonny with his Beretta held ready. The first sign he sees of infected, he will open fire on it.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide(1d20+4)[18]
    Move Silently(1d20+4)[21]
    Listen(1d20)[15]
    Spot(1d20)[4]
    Knowledge: Earth and Life Science (To ID Infected on sight)(1d20+8)[22]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

-Trent-
    "Fine, you crazy bastards do whatever you want. I'm staying here where I can see them coming."
    Trent remains in the middle of the street, gun in hand, trying to figure out where the noise came from.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+1)[3]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[16]