New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warglory, Liberators

((Very good, you're getting the idea.))

Ragdar and Ghost manage to ready the Blind Pig. You'll find out later how good your aim was... for now, better get ready. Ghost sets himself up with his SMG first, his Dvergr rifle second and a Houten rifle third.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

((I think I have to roll a d20+10, and did someone say mortars?))
    (1d20+10)[15]
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

3. - Top - End - #273

Weasel quietly and quickly gathers some weapons, and lays them down next to him.
    ((Not sure of what he'll find, sorry I'm so out of it, but if you'd take care of it, he'll put his rifle last.
    Oh, and pop off the scope.
    Thanks.))
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

4. - Top - End - #274

((Yes Szil, someone said mortars. You're assigned to a HMG, but speak now or forever hold your peace. Hint, hint.))

((No probs mee. For this job your rifle is no more effective than the Houten ones anyway.))

Pie-eater changes the barrel over. Quite a business on this old style HMG but he works it out. He's set up in the wrecked tank, squinting through the small sight the gunner is somehow expected to use.

Hooky hops in the door behind him and closes it, then sets about winding that turret as far rearward as he can... it stops at straight out sideways as expected. He finds a canister shell and loads it.

((Everyone's just about set. IF you have last minute suggestions, now's the time - i'll move this along in a few hours))
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-06-22 at 09:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275

With the attack due any second, pre-battle nerves are everywhere. Splinter checks his LMG needlessly, Ghost frowns at the lingering heat in his SMG. Many of you fidget in the hot confines of your gas masks, worrying over small amounts of chlorine you can taste despite the mask. Hooky exchanges banter with Pie. He's worried the big orc will pass out, but there's nothing to be done for it now. Deadly silence settles along the line, but for the nervous rustle of troopers and slow hiss of open gas valves.

You hear it then. The thunderclaps of howitzers and heavy mortars - light artillery. "Geddown!" shouts Ghost over the high-pitched whine of shell fall and then the world flashes white, again and again. The ground isn't set shaking, it is worse... you hear shrapnel in great clouds bursting overhead, raining thickly and thudding into the mud around you. It whistles past at bullet speeds, snaps wires and tears into corpses above ground. A few explosive shells fall too and the racket of it all striking the armour of dvergr tanks & APCs is deafening. You don't so much see or hear as feel the vehicles heave and churn on the spot, turning around and withdrawing back over the trench.

They are tough tanks but direct hits from howitzers are as dangerous to them as demolition charges from infantry they can't even see in the smoke. You can see their great shapes as they fall back. It's not an encouraging sight, even if you know the reasons behind it. The barrage continues for an agonizing minute, all you can do is bite down on straps of leather and try not to break your teeth.

Then, as abruptly as it began the barrage stops... and you hear a whistle blowing loud and clear. A great shout goes up and men scream their prayers as they come running out of the smoke to die for their country. The barbed wire won't hold them long - shrapnel doesn't cut wire but a HE shell has left a big hole in the middle of it, and that's where most of the Houten will go for.

Time to oblige them. Smoke hasn't cleared much, visibility is still 20 meters. Targets come pouring out of the smoke as a great line. Pie-eater can see plenty of shapes to shoot at - gas masked men with fixed bayonets. It's almost too easy. Your heavy MG shoots more at areas than it does men with long man-chopping bursts. Roll two sets of 3d4 - each represents how many men it hits with each burst this turn.

Negvar and Splinter can target the left flank from their position on the right, or shoot straight ahead. Left flank targetting cuts through many men, D4 roll representing the number hit with each burst. Straight ahead targets specific men, standard D3 to hit a man with an extra D3 to get lucky and hit two. Needless to say, i suggest following orders and shooting the Houten left flank.

Everyone else can shoot either right, centre or left. Stiff and weasel are on the right and should shoot straight ahead (meaning right). Ghost and Ragdar are middle and should shoot either centre or left. All shots are D3, ghost can roll an extra D3 attack roll with each SMG burst to see if he clips an extra target.

This turn, 30 men are visible of this wave running toward you. There are more comming. By your third or fourth shots they will be just about on top of you if the shooting hasn't gone so well. Expect Hooky to fire the cannon halfway through your turn.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-06-23 at 01:21 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

(3d4)[9]
    (3d4)[7]
    All too easy.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

7. - Top - End - #277

Ragdar tries to concentrate on what he can. The sheer chaos around him is too much to do otherwise. His barrel barks in quick procession.

{is Ragdar in charge of firing the blind pig or is it the 'cannon'? I assumed he was not but will alter in so,

Shots:
    1. (1d3)[3] scatter (1d3)[1]
    2. (1d3)[3] scatter (1d3)[1]
    3. (1d3)[2] scatter (1d3)[1] and if 4+(1d6)[1]
    4. (1d3)[2] scatter (1d3)[1] }

8. - Top - End - #278

((You're fine Bene. Worry about the blind pig when Ghost gives the order, the Cannon is Hooky's problem. Hooky cannot hear Ghost and will fire on his own initiative.))

9. - Top - End - #279

((Okay, let me know if I mess up, again. Like I always seem to do. ))
    (1d3)[3]
    (1d3)[3]
    (1d3)[2]
    (1d3)[3]
    ((If there are too many shots, ignore any that you need to.))
    Last edited by Mee; 2008-06-23 at 07:57 PM.
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

10. - Top - End - #280

((Yep, cacked it as usual. Third roll should have been a D6. Will roll your D6 for you when writing the turn up, and use the other 2-3 rolls for your shots as needed.))

11. - Top - End - #281

(( Sorry about that. *mumbles about always messing up*
    Ah well. I might remember one of these days.))
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

As the outlines of the approaching Houten soldiers pierce through the thick haze of dust and chlorine gas, Ghost turns to Radgar and says, "Shoot center. Let's give 'em hell." He then opens fire with his SMG.

First Burst: (d3)[1]
    Clipping: (d3)[1]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miss reroll: (d3)[2]

Second Burst: (d3)[1]
    Clipping: (d3)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miss reroll: (d3)[2]

13. - Top - End - #283

((Pal5's post is flawless - I like the descriptions most of you guys are putting with the rolls. Now waiting on Random and Suz.))

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The winner of the impromtu contest, Negvar shoots first. Opening fire as soon as a silouhette appears on the enemies left flank, the figure disappears-along with nearly a quarter of this wave in ensuing bursts.

((Slaughtering Houten left flank (1d4=1, 1d4=3, 1d4=3)

I swear, one of these days I am going to roll above the average.))
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

15. - Top - End - #285

((Dragging Suz. He did well actually, his trench gun wounded a couple and killed a couple more.))

The right flank is cut down with ease by Pie's HMG, with shots flying off into the smoke no doubt claiming men who arn't attacking this squad. The wounds it inflicts at this range are terrible, all those hit are dead.

Negvar's LMG uses quite heavy shots too and plenty of them, he chews up most of the men on the left flank. Stiff throws two hand grenades into the centre, they'll detonate next turn. Three Houten stagger out into the middle...

...only to be shot to pieces with the rest by Ghost, Stiff and Ragdar in the centre.

Nobody needs to reload. Negvar's LMG is warm, thanks to the suppression fire earlier and the rapid bursts now. Pie's HMG is water-cooled and using a fresh barrel, it has no problem at all. Those things are built for heavy fire!

Hooky never even fired. Not enough targets reached the barbed wire to warrant it, but this wave isn't over. Even as you plow through that lot another 40 come screaming to meet their fate... they saw some of what happened to those who went before. There are 15 men in the centre, another 10 on the right and 15 on the left.

Same dice as last time, with more targets.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The barrel was getting warm, but had a ways to go before being as hot as the infernal gas mask he was wearing. "Yer gonna have to take over after this wave-she's starting ta overheat!" he calls to Splinter, and then the next wave appears. Cutting the bursts shorter to keep the temperature in check, he unfortunately cuts it too short-the fire barely has any effect on the enemy numbers.

((War is hell (1d4=1, 1d4=2, 1d4=1)

And my rolls are worse!))

17. - Top - End - #287

Ragdar lines up the the central line and unloads again. He grimaces at their resolve and willingness to throw their bodies and lives into this mud-pit of a place. These humies ain't built fer a proper war...just as well though, better thems than ma arse out there in tha' open.

{1. (1d3)[2] scatter (1d3)[1]
    2.(1d3)[1] scatter (1d3)[2]
    3.(1d3)[3] scatter (1d3)[3] and if 4+ (1d6)[4]
    4.(1d3)[1] scatter (1d3)[1] }

As his barrel is left smoking and he ducks back down to ready his next weapon he thinks, Thank the ancestors fer keeping me on that right side of a barrel.

18. - Top - End - #288

Negvar and Ragdar's weapons both just clicked empty.

Forgot to mention earlier, due to heat buildup Ghost must roll a D20 for weapon failure if he continues shooting the SMG this round.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Stupid human SOB's just don't know when to stop," thought Ghost to himself before, once again, firing into the center of the Houten advance.

Heat Buildup: (d20)[7]

First Burst: (d3)[3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miss Reroll (d3)[3]

Second Burst: (d3)[1]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miss Reroll (d3)[1]
    Last edited by Paladin5; 2008-06-25 at 11:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

First burst goes on target (including clipping roll) then the SMG suffers a cookoff and expends the entire magazine. Second burst rolls ignored, counts as light suppressive fire. The barrel is too hot to touch.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Giving Hell, - (3d4)[8]
    Giving Hell, - (3d4)[6]
    Giving Hell.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

22. - Top - End - #292

((Lets keep her moving. Mee and Suz are both being dragged along.))

With a fearsome number of Houten charging and sweat in their eyes, Weasel and Stiff both have little success this turn. Both miss on their first shots and Stiff misses on the second, though Weasel catches a man square in the chest with his. Negvar's not doing so well either, his magazine clicking empty with very few Houten put down. Stiff's grenades go off in the centre, killing some men and inflicting wounds that others are too full of adrenaline to feel. With Ghost's SMG cooking off and the men rushing in, things are not going well.

There's a brutal wham from the tank as Hooky fires the cannon. Canister rounds make cannons like giant shotguns, and the resulting cloud of shrapnel carves a bloody rift through the Houten charge. Men skid to a halt as their fellows before them are blown away and Pie's right onto them with the heavy MG. Stiff has an excellent throw of the bolt on his rifle, letting off an extra shot that nobody really notices except the man it claims.

All in all this part of the Houten first wave is devasted, you've repelled it in your area. The few sorry suvivors turn and flee.

The roar of gunfire dies down suddenly all along the trench line. It is not silent but it's a damn sight quieter. Hooky has a moment of insight and abandons the cannon in the stuck tank, going for a heavy machine gun on the side opposite Pie that faces off beyond the left flank. "More of the blighters! I'll take 'em!" he shouts. Only Pie can hear him speak but everyone hears the second HMG open up. You can't see what he's achieving (if anything) but Pie knows something Hooky doesn't - the HMG Hooky's useing needs a barrel change, it'll cookoff and jam in a few moments for sure.

Those in the trench, awareness check (D20 + modifiers). Pie can't take this one as with Hooky firing madly away he's deaf to the world.

Smoke is marginally less thick. Visibility 30 meters.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-06-26 at 05:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Ugh," Negvar comments as he watches the carnage. He had never witnessed the effects of canister on massed infantry formations before-at least, not at this range. And I pray to all that's holy I never do again, he thinks, fighting back nausea as he reloads.

((Awareness check (1d20+7=27)))

24. - Top - End - #294

{(1d20)[18] plus 5, sorry no rp, pressed for time}

25. - Top - End - #295

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Natural 20 against a natural 1... the dice like you all of a sudden!))

You guys hear them comming and there's quite a lot of 'em, there's houten in the trench section left of you around the bend. Bene can hear someone saying the Houten word for "grenade, grenade!" in a hush.

If you take aim down that way to shoot them it'll be easy shots when they appear, most of you would have to move to do this - meaning you can't shoot at the next wave. You can throw grenades into the z-bend easily, no roll. Throwing into the trench section beyond (where the men are) is harder, roll a D20. To be really nasty you could cook your grenades, meaning pull pin this turn and throw at start of next turn - if you do that the Houten can't take cover, but if someone fumbles the throw it blows up at their feet. Ragdar and Ghost have easier throws from where they are than the rest of you.For any other ideas tell me and i'll invent a roll if needed.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-06-26 at 09:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ghost indicates the squad to stay on the line. He then taps Radgar on the shoulder and signals for a cooked grenade throw into the z-bend on the count of five...

(d20)[17]

27. - Top - End - #297

((Dragging Bene.))

You cook your grenades while Negvar reloads and Hooky hammers away at targets nobody else can see. A few seconds later you throw them, the blasts eliciting screams and disrupting the Houten in the left trench, but they arn't stopped.

An officer's whistle blows, and the great howl of troops running to their doom goes up again - it's the second wave. Whether courage or stuipidity the Houten have not given up. 35 targets are in view - 15 on the left flank, 10 on centre and 10 on right. Your barbed wire is still holding together, barely - the Houten will have to redirect themselves and head through the centre to reach you but initially they are as described.

It's worth noting that when Ghost does opt to fire the blind pig, it's a heavy mortar shell - that means high arc, it'll come back to earth maybe a turn or so after firing it into the air.

Not everyone will notice, but it is starting to rain...
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-06-27 at 07:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Winners never quit and quitters never win, Negvar muses as he reaches for his stock of Houten Army-surplus grenades and pulls the pin, but those who never win and never quit are morons. Just as he is winding up for the throw, just over the hole in the barbed wire, where the enemy troopers will have ot cluster up, a single drop splashes on the visor of his gas mask. He looks up, and realizes that of course he cannot see anything through all the bloody gas and smoke. Odd-I coulda sworn the sun was shining brightly right before this.

Then he remembers a rather important detail-he is still holding a live grenade in his hand. Uttering an oath, he quickly completes the throw.

((Grenade throw, as described. Rest was mostly for comedy.))
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2008-06-27 at 10:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299

((Heh heh, nice. I'll put up Splinter's results when others have posted.))

While Negvar contemplates the futility of it all Splinter opens up with his MG, going with three bursts into the left flank.

30. - Top - End - #300

"Awh, cripes, this hole's goinna turn into a blooming mud-spa if this keep up," Ragdar curses to those around him between blasts. He makes sure the radio is covered and sets about covering their left flank. He lobs an grenade easily into the z-bend trying to catch any advancing, and persuade them not ta do tha exact same, he broods.

((grenade into the z-bend, no rolls as mentioned. Also, does he have another weapon on hand like the others from the houtons? He was loading the Pig while the others prepped, if not he needs to reload.))