New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warglory, Liberators

((I'm happy to assume you grabbed a pair of rifles off the ground.))

2. - Top - End - #302

With his better view of the attack Pie is the first to fire... poorly as it turns out, his opening burst putting four men in early graves. The second is far more succesful as it chops up the rest of the right flank and drops a couple in the centre too. Splinter lets out punishingly accurate bursts with his MG and mows down half the left flank in turn.

For the centre, the opening volley drops four men as everyone hits. Weasel & Ragdar's targets are not dead, both stumble and fall anyway. Second volley has less success, with Ragdar & Stiff's steady aims delivering hits of which Ragdar's again fails to kill instantly. The man staggers to a halt holding his gut in mute agony and falls to his knees. Stiff is useing a dvergr rifle though, and the otherwise less lethal shoulder hit instead takes that part of his torso away from the sheer stopping power of the heavy rifle. Ghost and Ragdar throw bolts with deadly efficiency and fire a third volley, Ghost's rifle blasting a baseball size hole through a man's chest while Ragdar's shot glances off a helmet - one lucky Houten there!

He's not lucky for long though. A facefull of shrapnel from Negvar's hand grenade outright kills three men with four others wounded by the shrapnel slicing through... most of them tumble into the shell hole. Much more of this and it won't be a hole. Against it all, four clear the hole and jump at Ghost, Ragdar and Weasel.

Ghost, Ragdar and Weasel may take one of two options. Opposed initiative check (D20) to shoot the man charging before he rams a bayonet through you (fail and he gets a big bonus on the melee check, succeed and you don't need one), or duck/dodge to let him jump in the trench and fight him on even terms (standard opposed D10 roll).

Ghost has two men charging him. Ragdar has one and so does Weasel. Weasel gets a +3 on the initiative roll should he take one, for being half-elf.

Stiff can roll a D10 to assist Ghost or Weasel but can't reach Ragdar in time. Or he can stay put and shoot, because...

The remainder of the second wave comes screaming out of the smoke. At least they're thinning out a little, surely it's the last wave! There are 9 on the left flank, 7 in the middle, and 10 on the right. Same shooting rules as before. If Ragdar, Ghost & Weasel shoot their opponents instead of melee them, they'll be free to spend any following shots on other targets...

Pie-eater sees sparks pang off a bulkhead near his face. A bullet just went straight through the tank armour - someone just shot an anti-tank rifle at him. He has no way to know where from and there's not a lot he can do about it, but there's a Houten sniper out there trying to kill him. Lucky the heavy armour won't make it easy.

It's definently starting to rain, you can all see raindrops.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-06-30 at 04:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

If its a sniper with an anti-tank refle, then the range must not be that effective, but it could easily kill anyone of us. I move about somewhat randomly but continue shooting like before.
    Give them Hell boys! - (3d4)[5]
    Suck on this! - (3d4)[10]
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Seeing the center is about to become engfulfed in melee, Negvar reaches for his LMG to pick up the slack. Steam rises from his position, mingling with the gunsmoke as raindrops strike the overheated barrel. Still the gun produces metal rain of its own, which falls upon the humans, cutting down a half-dozen.

((See if I can manage to beat last time (1d4=2, 1d4=2, 1d4=2) ))
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Eyes locked on the charging men, Ghost swears under his breath as he ejects a spent round from his rifle. Raising it back to his shoulder, he attempts to take out the two men headed towards him.

Initiative: (d20)[6]

Spoiler
    Show

If initiative won -> Third Shot Chance: (d6)[5]

6. - Top - End - #306

With an unfamiliar weapon in hand Radgar, ducks down and to the side, drawing his melee weapon. As the man comes down the embankment he tries to stick him quick.

{melee (1d10)[2] plus amrour and weapon etc. }

The lad tries to dispatch the man quickly in order to assist the others facing the charge.

7. - Top - End - #307

Weasel jumps to the side, pulls out his Kukri, and tries to kill one of the charging men.
    (1d10)[6]
    ((I know, no RP, but . . . I'll do it next post. I hope.))
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

8. - Top - End - #308

Ghost's not quick enough this time. One of the men jumps into the trench and the other jumps bayonet-first onto Ghost, driving him to the ground. He's a dvergr though and tough as old boots. The landing doesn't even wind him and the bayonet failed to pierce his armour - the man is drilled on this tactic but didn't execute it perfectly and against dvergr there's no room for error. Ghost takes the man's legs out from under him and has his throat slit in under 3 seconds, but now Ghost must fight to his feet and kill the other one. (D10, opponent has position bonus)

Ragdar makes it look easy. As soon as the man lands he attacks from behind. The fight's brief, to say the least. Ragdar can now engage targets or help Ghost. Weasel attempts to do the same but he's wrong-footed, his throat-slit attempt goes awry. He inflicts a nasty cut but it finds no artery, the man comes about and is very much alive. Weasel parries the first thrust and it's on for young & old.(D10, opponent wounded but desperate.)

Splinter's MG shows no mercy, oversized bullets tearing through men and punching holes in the ground beyond them. He's bringing the deadly weapon's sights over the last one when the gun clicks empty. Negvar's aid is sorely needed in the centre and he doesn't fail to deliver - half a dozen hits just about cleans it up, leaving one sorry survivor. After missing twice though Stiff finally gets his eye in, throws the bolt right quick and finally scores a hit blowing a gaping hole through the man's thigh. He falls and swiftly bleeds out.

Pie-eater's heavy MG never lets up. Relentlessly it chews through another ten men. If Pie was carving notches on the stock, he'd run out of room to carve them. In contempt of the infantry weapons you guys mostly use the barrel is barely warm - water cooling and heavy barrel works wonders, pity it's too heavy to carry.

The last man comes to a halt at the barbed wire on the left flank. He stares, overcome with battle shock. Splinter shouts at him to surrender, but the man is unresponsive. Out of nowhere someone shoots him, you can't even see who. He falls dead over the wire.

With Ghost and Weasel still in melee you see a dozen bully beef tins with burning wicks fly from the left trench over into yours. Some of you have made such things yourselves in years past - improvised hand grenades. Not only that but two Houten round the bend dropping into crouch and a third leans around the bend useing it for cover. All three take aim down the trench at you guys.

Ragdar can shoot freely, D3 for the two crouched and D8 for the guy useing the bend. Stiff has no shot until the melee next to him is won, he may as well help. Negvar could also help in the melee, or he could take a risk - climb out of the trench and shoot over your heads. If he does he gets the same shots as Ragdar, he still has half a mag. Weasel & Ghost are of course busy.

All of you have tins with lit fuses landing in your area. Hitting the deck reduces wound chances, diving for a foxhole helps more. Bear in mind your armour's good at resisting grenades... but you have no way of knowing what the Houten stuffed in their bully beef tins.

The rain is thickening and now it has an effect. Chlorine turns to harmless smoke in the rain, and that's exactly what's starting to happen.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-06-30 at 11:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309

Weasel is a bit mad that his attack didn't work, but he tries again:
    (1d10)[2]
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

10. - Top - End - #310

Ragdar bull rushes the Houten over Ghost, barreling into him with the bayoneted aimed to kill. He does his best simultaneously clear out the man, hit the dirt, and open a clear firing window straight down the trench for his mates.

{melee (1d10)[9] plus mods, trying to clear a firing lane to the Houten for those with heavier/better/loaded weapons unlike mine. He is smashing into the guy to clear the lane and "hit the dirt".}

11. - Top - End - #311

{hopefully Stiff and Negvar now have clear shots and Ghost is also free to act...}

12. - Top - End - #312

((...yeah, ok, i'll allow that.))

The man doesn't anticipate Ragdar's sudden attack and is tackled with a bayonet in him. The poor bugger is tackled onto a tin, though Ragdar doesn't know it.

((that's you for this turn, Bene. Wait up for the others.))

Weasel is about to get bayonetted himself when Stiff grabs his enemy from behind in a choke hold. He drags the man clear of Splinter & Negvar's line of fire and drops him into a neck crank that breaks bones - that guy won't walk again.

Negvar & Splinter now only need go side by side in the trench to fire on the targets down range, but it took time to clear the way. They have time for one burst each... and Splinter's reloading. Ghost has found himself in a position from which he could shoot too, if he gets his wits about him rolls into prone. On the other hand, he might want to cover his face with all these improvised grenades about to go off.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Negvar rushes to help with the melee, but it gets handled before he gets there, so he switches gears and brings up the LMG. Unfortunately, his foot slips in the mud as he tries to stop, so his burst sails harmlessly into the sky and he goes down on his back.

Oh bugger. I'm never going ta hear the end of this.

((Shooting guy in the open (1d3=1)
    Re-roll (1d3=1)

*Facepalm*

Ladies and gentlemen, I present Negvar, worst shot in 2nd Company!))

14. - Top - End - #314

((So the party just went to great lengths to clear the line of fire, i allowed rules to bend, all so you could shoot... and you get a pair of ones & slip over. Well done! That deserves a nickname.))

Splinter is reloading as he wonders why Negvar isn't shooting. When he sees why despite it all he laughs. "Good one, Slip!"

So much for heroic nicknames. Meanwhile, Ghost snatches his rifle and even as the first tin of bully beef goes off takes the shot. The heavy rifle snaps the man in the side, spinning him like a top before he falls.

There's no time to think of anything else as bully beef tins full of explosives, bullets, ball bearings and scrap metal detonate all around you. The armour's sorely tested by some of these, the bomb under Ragdar's victim goes off so hard he bouces on the spot from the shrapnel tearing through the poor man's body. Negvar and Splinter get off lightly as they're furthest along, but Weasel was still standing up - very dangerous. Ball bearings drive big dents in his breastplate and concussive force knocks him down, Weasel's lying on his side stunned for one turn. Everyone else is disoriented by the blasts and suffering temporary deafness... except for Pie & Hooky, who're still in the tank and have no idea what's happening.

The man in cover fires even as his friends are blown away. His first shot was at Ragdar but his sudden rush saved him. The second shot goes for Ghost... the shot goes clean through his left bicep. Painful but clean, Ghost won't really feel it through the adrenaline but the wound weakens him. (-2 in melee)

The man in cover remains a D6 to hit, he's working the bolt of his rifle. Three more come running into view in the Z bend - one goes straight for a foxhole (D6 for snap shot, must be your first shot if you try), the other two go prone in clear sight (D4). One of those men has a trench gun.

Predictably, more bully beef tins with trailing wicks are thrown at you... only four land in your trench this time. Ghost, Ragdar, Negvar and Stiff are in position to grab and throw them back (at most one each), but if you do you can't shoot this turn and i guarantee you the men down range will. The bombs might go off this turn, or maybe next turn, or maybe not at all.

Ghost, Ragdar, Negvar and Splinter have room to fire, but the blasts have jostled Splinter enough it slowed his reload. He fires one burst this turn. Stiff has no shot but there's nothing to stop him throwing grenades - no roll to land one in the Z bend (the shooters), D20 for a go at the guys throwing bully beef tins at you from the left trench.

Yep, that's rain all right. Love the smell of Chlorine turning to smoke in the morning?
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-07-02 at 01:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

((Yep, that is me all right. This is why the people I game with IRL know better than to come up with plans that hinge on me and probability, or, to wit, any plan that hinges on me, because I will invariably screw it up with lousy rolls.

And is it safe to take the masks off yet, or should we give it a few more turns?))

'Slip' is an extremely unhappy dvergr. As would anyone who finds themselves lying on their back in the mud, with the rain mercilessly pounding down and the echoes of the blasts ringing in their ears. The latter is most likely one of the world's small mercies, though; it prevents him from hearing his 'mates' laughing at him after seeing him make a world-class fool of himself.

As he tries to gather his thoughts, there is a thunk as yet another one of the improvised explosives bounces off the faceplate of his gas mask. That does it. Rising fury cuts through the haze in his mind faster than Pie's HMG goes through infantry formations.

His left hand gropes blindly for a bit before his fingers close on the object of his search-the offending beef tin. There is a sucking sound as Negvar pulls himself out of the muck and into a kneeling position. He bellows "KEEP YER BLOODY MESS TINS!" as he slings the tin right at the enemy rifleman out in the open.

(([For gits and shiggles: Throwing mess tin at Houten soldier (1d4=4)

So I miss a guy completely with a machine gun, then turn around and kill another with a sardine can? *Sigh* I give up.))

16. - Top - End - #316

*applause*

One of the Houten now has a sore head. Waiting on the rest of you. Ah, yes, and i'd suggest leave your gas masks on for a bit yet, unless you're feeling game.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-07-02 at 01:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ignoring the slight pain in his arm. Ghost kneels amongst flying shrapnel and bullets bringing his rifle back to shoulder. He fires a shot directly through head of the Houten in the foxhole before quickly swiveling his rifle and firing a wide second shot at the Houten with the trench gun.

Man in foxhole: (d6)[6]
    Man with trench gun: (d4)[1]

Bolt action: (d6)[1]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Second prone man: (d4)[3]
    Last edited by Paladin5; 2008-07-03 at 07:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318

The lad rolls and snaps the Houten riffle up to the other man going for cover and the other two men firing on them. He remains prone in the mud, coated in blood and the leaking fluids of the imploded human just next to him. He tries not to think of the cleaning his armour will be needing after this one.

{snap shot to the other going for cover (1d6)[2] and then shots to the other 2 prone men (1d4)[2] and (1d4)[4]}

19. - Top - End - #319

((Bene, Ragdar's useing a bolt action rifle. You need to roll a D6 of 5+ to get a third shot))

20. - Top - End - #320

Negvar's reflexes prove on the mark, his shot takes the man going for cover midstride. Ragdar shoots for the same target at the same time, his shot misses. Weasel lies stunned on the ground, Splinter fumbles to pick up his dropped magazine. Stiff snatches up a bully beef tin, throwing it back where it came from... the dratted thing blows up in midair, achieving nothing. Negvar's throw is spot on and clocks a man over the head with the improvised bomb... the man stares at it in horror.

The Houten fire back. The man in Z-bend cover shoots his rifle putting a dent in Ghost's helmet, damn thick metal that thing. The prone rifle is too shocked by Negvar's "returned" bomb to act, while the prone trench gunner is oblivious to his imminent doom and fires. Unfortunately for him buckshot achieves nothing against dvergr (or any) armour, so though Ragdar cops the full force of the shot it all glances off. One of the remaining bully beef tins goes off, Weasel cops a few cuts but otherwise nothing serious (minor stun, he gets one shot next turn). The last one's wick burns out... and nothing happens. A dud.

Then the one Negvar threw back goes off and the men in the Z bend are given a strong dose of shrapnel. One is killed outright, the other two wounded too severly to fight.

Splinter finally pops in his fresh magazine and readies the MG... then finds no targets. Never one to waste time he throws a grenade toward the men in left trench... sounds like it's on target by the shouting. When it goes off it there's a smattering of loud bangs over there and some screams... nasty, he set off someone's sack of beef tins. Spinter winces at the sounds.

Then a whistle is heard... it's the third wave. They don't come out of the smoke howling though.

Pie-eater gets a glimpse of the men... Hooky grabs him by the shoulder, he never heard the dvergr stop shooting. Pie's pulled from the HMG and dragged b*tching along the ground by Hooky. He's got no idea what's happening but Hooky kicks the hatch behind the tank's sponson open and drags the angry orc from the tank...

((Szilard, feel free to complain but i suggest you don't stop him dragging you... he will have a reason.))

...even as this happens men emerge from the smoke. They are not dressed as the regular Houten soldiers and there are only 18 of them; their garb is dark brown, mottled, breastplates guard their torsos and grenades hang from their belts. They carry trench guns - heavy barreled and angry 8-guage ones with 16 inch bayonets affixed. You get a look at their modern black gas masks with glass tinted so you can't see their eyes before a pair of LMGs in their section open fire... and deliver a volume of bullets you'd expect from four.

Awareness checks all, then reflex checks to duck in time.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-07-04 at 02:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

((
    ... nasty, he set off someone's sack of beef tins
    Happy 4th of July!

Also, you switched Negvar's name for some else's in the first sentence-Ghost, I think.

Awareness (1d20+7=11)
    Reflex (1d20=18) ))

22. - Top - End - #322

Awareness: (1d20)[9] + whatever the bonus it. I think it's 9.
    Reflex: (1d20)[1] + again, whatever.

((This is assuming that Weasel is up. You said for everyone to roll, but didn't mention Weasel getting up, unless I missed it.))
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

((fair enough... after your last turn there was a 3 second pause before this (hence Stiff's grenade going off), so you certainly could have gotten up... but i suppose you might not have. Ghost, Weasel and Ragdar don't need the reflex check - i forgot you guys were still prone. Equally though you don't see who's attacking, you'll just hear the bullets impacting. You'll still use awareness checks regardless.))
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-07-05 at 07:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Radgar stays down and rolls over to his shotgun, reloading and checking the weapon. The third wave must be coming but it doesn't feel the same to then young dvergr and he'd rather have a weapon he feels more confident with.

{awareness (1d20)[20] plus mods}

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

((So is it safe to assume Negvar can reload too?))

26. - Top - End - #326

((You can... if you're game. Negvar still has half a magazine, as does Ragdar's borrowed rifle. The others have Dvergr rifles, those use deep magazines and have plenty left.))

Pie has an excellent view as a firebomb, probably stuffed through the driver's hatch, floods the wrecked tank with flame. Fuel ignites inside and the temperature soars... you have the discouraging memory that the tank has plenty of ammunition on board. Hooky drops Pie-eater just out the hatch left of the tank. "RUN!" he shouts and sprints for the trench the rest of the squad's in. Pie can (and certainly should!) do the same. The tank is between them and the enemy section.

Stiff and Splinter look up over the lip despite the suppression fire... Splinter is immidiately hit with a loud clang and buckles down, his helmet saved him. Stiff however gets a good look. "Flamethrow..." is all he shouts before a roaring torrent of burning chemicals wash through him, engulfing him in a second and splattering into the trench wall behind you. The heat is unbelievable. Ragdar can see flaming chemicals pouring down the wall to where he lies prone. (Reflex save, then do your turn). The others are further away but they can feel the heat too as burning fuel flys over you and glances off the ground in front of your trench, flames pouring off the wall behind you.

Splinter raises his MG over his head and lays blind suppressive fire. Negvar can certainly do the same, or stick his head up and aim if he's brave (or dumb) enough. Stiff tumbles to the ground, his head and shoulders blazing. He doesn't even scream, just falls, writhes and becomes still as the flame sucks the wind out of him and inflicts terrible damage on his upper body. He's doomed.

Hooky is spotted by the Houten as he jumps in the trench but is too briefly in their sights to be hit. Pie won't have such luck as his wounds mean he cannot run. He is currently left of the burning tank, with it between him and the enemy. He can't see them, vice versa.

With all that going on it's easy not to notice the smoke from earlier is clearing, leaving a thin haze from the chlorine smoke and rain.

You guys still havn't used the Blind Pig (heavy mortar). It's able to fire... there are also some trench mortars in here still. Very close range for mortar work though! Grenades on the other hand are fine, blind fire is mostly fine but achieves little without an automatic. If anyone does feel brave enough to get up there and aim, they'll find most of the Houten Grenadiers have gone prone (D5 on first shot, D4 on following) except the flamethrower team (Two guys, one flamer. D3, on 3 you might blow up the fuel canister). Veterens will know instinctively the Houten are about to throw hand grenades - lots of them.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-07-05 at 06:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327

Seeing liquid flame rolling toward his soon to be toasty arse Ragdar tries to scramble back within the trench. The lad tries not to breath the super-heated air as be rolls and as he comes to the back of the trench he unclips a grenade.

{reflex (1d20)[13] mods? And he readies a grenade and cooks it once he is clear of the flames - IF he gets burnt and distracted he likely does not go for the grenade...that action assumes he is mostly ok. The plan is to lob the cooked grenade up to the flamer. Grenade roll (1d20)[2] (assuming like last time) perhaps with a mod as he can see the rough direction the flame comes from and he had a wicked awareness last turn}

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

((Reload-it was actualy down to 1/3rd a mag)).

Negvar shudders at Stiff's gruesome death, but soticly lifts the LMG over the trench lip and fires blindly-directing a disproportiante amount of fire at direction he estimates the flamethrower to be, because 1) they are kind enough to make their position fairly easy to guess, 2) He wants to take their minds off thoughts of frying the dvergr with thoughts of, say, they are lugging around several dozen kilos of highly volatile substances and have bullets flying their general direction, and 3) Someone needs to avenge poor Stiff.

29. - Top - End - #329

Weasel sighs at the loss of Stiff, but it happens.
    Doesn't help at all, so, to help, he throws a grenade at the flamer.
    ((Do you need any rolls?))
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330

((Go for your life, D20. And if all you're doing this round is throw grenades, may as well throw two of 'em.))