New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warglory, Liberators

((There may be a rear service door, if you climb out of the trench on the right hand side and go around the back of the bunker. I take it though you mean the door down in the trench, which the squad's been staring at.))

((Bene, roll a bluff check.))

Hooky, deadpan and Felhelm scramble up the left side of the trench and creep around for a look.

((waiting for bene.))

2. - Top - End - #92

(( I did, it's in the spoiler on the last page. I have a diplo and a bluff rolled there. Do you want another?))

3. - Top - End - #93

((Ahh, my bad didn't see it.))

A voice comes from the other side "Ok, ok! Just a second..." and the door opens a moment later. Because you had in mind already what you were gonna do, no reflex save required. Go for it!

Meanwhile the rifles along with Pie and Hugger have gone up the left side and can now see the window - it's a few inches high and some meters wide. It might be possible to squeeze through but it would be difficult. You had the sense to keep your heads down so the guys inside don't know you're crouched down under their window. If you throw grenades in you risk an ammunition explosion, but you could pop up and shoot - do it quick and you'll have surprise.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Staying low, Sgt. Dalhoon brings his trench gun up, gesturing for his men to do the same. One finger flicks up, then another, then a third, and Sgt. Dalhoon springs up, his gun blazing.

"Take 'em down, lads!"

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

5. - Top - End - #95

This occurs while Ragdar does... whatever he does, at the trench door.

Inside two field guns and some rather surprised crews. Most don't have weapons on them. Tough luck for them, there are eight crew all up. An officer is with them, he has a pistol and sabre both holstered. You can see four infantry men inside though, they have rifles out - one at each side door, the other two are right up close to you and raising their rifles.

That's not all. Bunkers are not clear spaces inside otherwise any fool could throw a grenade in a doorway and kill everyone - as Ragdar is probably hoping to do. No, they have inner walls that divide it into a number of rooms. The two field guns have a cement partitioning wall between them making it two rooms and there's another wall behind those with a wide door, you can't see much past either gun room. The men you can see are in these two rooms.

Most targets here are D3 for everyone. Pie can roll an extra D3 hit roll (without reroll) every time he hits a crewman, because they're close together. Four of the crewmen are behind the field guns and would be difficult to hit, they're D8 for everyone.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-05-16 at 11:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

((The grenade was for if they hesitated and only cracked the door it would be shoved in the bottom to 'help' it open...but since they believed me and simply opened it I will go with what I posted in the spoiler and lead the rear team in with guns.))

"Ok, ok! Just a second..."
    Hearing the response, Ragdar stows the grenade and readies his shotgun, signaling for the team to follow on his lead. As the door is opened he will force his way through blasting at the Houten's within the rear hatch.

{ (1d3)[2] reroll scatter (1d3)[3] and in case there are more targets in the first room (1d3)[1] reroll scatter (1d3)[1], (1d3)[1] reroll scatter (1d3)[1] (ignore the extra shots if there is only the one guy). }

With the rear cleared, Ragdar will brace against the inner wall and listen for what is happening up front.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

shot - (1d3)[2]
    additional hit - (1d3)[1]
    shot - (1d3)[2]
    additional hit - (1d3)[3]
    shot - (1d3)[3]
    additional hit - (1d3)[2]
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

8. - Top - End - #98

((Oh, re-reading it looks like a lot of Houten so I will roll to see if I get off a 4th shot due to smooth pumps))

{if 4+ (1d6)[4] then (1d3)[2] reroll scatter (1d3)[1]}

9. - Top - End - #99
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    My rolls...I'm not really sure how many you need, so here's a bunch.

(d3)[1]
    (d3)[3]
    (d3)[1]
    (d3)[1]
    (d3)[3]
    (d3)[2]

(d8)[7]
    (d8)[2]
    (d8)[7]
    (d8)[3]
    (d8)[5]
    (d8)[1]

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

10. - Top - End - #100

Ragdar's first shot blasts a gaping hole in the door opener's chest, he's blown onto his back. He steps in and finds he can't see the field guns or the men in with them - they're in the two gun rooms to the left, there's a wide doorway into there with no door. On his right is another of these doors leading into some sort of storage area, and at the end of the hallway he's in is a staircase down into the basement - probably the magazine down there, best be careful about grenades if he heads down to it.

Kord, Splinter and Weasel rush in with Ragdar and three men run up the stairs in front of and toward you, they don't seem to see you at first and offer clear targets. Between the four of you they're shot to pieces without a moment's warning. Weasel checks the room on the right - it's a loading dock. "Clear!" he says and brings his gun up to face the stairs while Spinter hustles forward to take up position at the top of them with his LMG. You see shots fly through the doorway on the left, plunking into the cement wall - that's the gun rooms in there.

Kord outranks Ragdar so he takes charge, trench gun at the ready. "Splinter, Weasel - cover stairway, Ragdar - with me, take gun rooms!" says Kord, directing you to one side of the doorway into the gun room. Team One's opened fire, it's chaos in there - those trench guns make a hell of a racket!

Back with Team one who are shooting in through the gun window. The first volley goes unanswered as the Houten were caught off guard. Deadpan drops one of the close riflemen, Pie fires into the crewmen and clips one of them in the shoulder, the man's so surprised he falls over. Everyone else missed! Second volley is more like it though, with the other close riflemen blown away along with two more crewmen and the officer takes a smattering of buckshot that wounds him and blows his cap off - he's not down though and goes for cover behind a field gun, drawing a pistol. Pie's machine gun inflicts another wound and two kills on the crewmen, but now he's hitting the same targets as everyone else.

The crew has lost four men with four more hiding behind the field guns, the riflemen have lost three men and the last one takes aim and fires at Dudhugger - the shot misses. The officer's behind cover with the crewmen as Team One lets off a third volley, two of them striking the last riflemem - he goes down in a bleeding heap.

((All D3 targets are dead. I've rerolled Pie's last volley to engage the men behind cover at D8... holy smokes, he's lucky too...))

Hooky and Dudhugger are both very quick with the pumps this time. Their extra shots achieve little though, the last four crewmen keep their heads down. The officer just leans out ever so slightly to shoot back with his pistol... and it gets him killed. One burst from Pie saws his head in half, the officer's dead.

The last four crewmen are no doubt considering surrender, but they're now hunkered down behind their guns and will remain hard to hit (D8)... however, Ragdar and Kord are perfectly positioned to kill them from behind through the doorway (D3 for them) and could even attempt to charge in and bayonette them, but Kord & Ragdar can each only see two of these men - if they charge instead, they may split up and melee two each, or gang up on one pair.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-05-17 at 10:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Pi-eater reloads his Machinegun.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

(( O.O...I could not find this thread, very, very, sorry. ))
    Avy by Ink.

13. - Top - End - #103

((He lives! I'd given up on you. PM me about it if you're interested rather than fill the thread with OOC though. If you guys want a chat, i'd rather you used the recruitment threads or PMs.))

14. - Top - End - #104

Not wanting to be caught in a cross-fire, Ragdar keeps low and to the edge of the corner. With two men in his sights he blasts at their exposed backs and then moves back for his rear squad mates to advance on the others.

{I am going to attempt to increase my efficiency by taking the best of the roll representing the rerolled scatter all in one. Here goes: shot#1 (2d3b1)[3] shot#2 (2d3b1)[3], shot#3(2d3b1)[2].}

15. - Top - End - #105

Ragdar plugs his pair easily, the 4 guage blasting them against their field gun. Kord has less success, missing initially then wounding one as the man spins around - he goes down, breathing. The other dives aside and the third shot misses... Kord's quick today though and puts a last shell into the man's leg, wounding.

There's a few wounded men left in here. They're on the ground groaning, no point getting up to fight now. Gun rooms clear.

Shots can be heard back inside the bunker's staircase - Splinter's firing the LMG at someone. "More back here, Sa!" shouts Weasel. Kord takes a glance and opts to do a tactical reload - he has shots left, but will spend one turn topping the trench gun up to full.

((Ball's in Djinn's hands now. Give 'em an order mate.))
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-05-19 at 10:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

((Been a couple days now. Dunno what's happened to Djinn, dragging.))

"Second team, hold up in there! You lads, lets get inside!" says Dudhugger and leads team one back to the trench door. AS they go in flashes are seen a few miles away... the rumble of artillery not far behind. Pie's the last one into the bunker, right as the shells arrive.

The ground trembles as the heavy artillery shells fall. Last time they were miles away and the ground still shook, the sound roaring... this time they're aimed at you. The lights go out in the bunker and dust flys about, the ground shudders under every impact. It's a sound so loud you feel it, the bunker feels woefully inadequate under such a barrage.

Not only are you deaf but it's hard to walk with the ground movement. The sound is something you can actually feel, a bit like the world falling on your head. At least the humans in the basement won't be attacking.

Dudhugger claps Kord and couple others on the shoulder as he advances to the stairs leading down to the basement. Looks like he wants you to follow and attack... this won't be easy, everyone stumbles as a shell lands close to the bunker.

((This is pretty frightening for real men. You're dvergr. That's why you're still standing.))

17. - Top - End - #107

((In the continued absence of anyone posting... ))

You manage to stumble your ways down the stairs. Dudhugger's leading, Ragdar and Pie are right there with him while the rest follow. There's a pair of dead men on the stairs that Splinter machine gunned earlier.

Down below there isn't that much after all. You find four men, their guns dropped and covering their heads in terror. This is quite a shelling after all. One of them sees you guys and throws his arms up in surrender.

What do you do?

((Balance check guys. Dvergr can all have a +2 for it. Pie will have to hope he rolls well.))

18. - Top - End - #108

Ragdar tries to take a moment during the rumbling to reload and ready himself to clear the lower area.

19. - Top - End - #109

(you beat me to the post by less than a minute! Balance (1d20+2)[16])

20. - Top - End - #110

((lol, you must be in Australia. Anyway there's four men in front and one is clearly trying to surrender. What do you do?))

The basement is a magazine. That means it's full of ammunition, mostly shells for the field guns above. Bit of a rat warren, these four are the men you can see. You're at the base of the stairs and can't hear a thing over the arty.

21. - Top - End - #111

You don't have time for prisoners. Dud opens fire and the rest of you do too. The men are wiped out.

Kord, Hooky and the rest rush through and clear the magazine. There's no more men down here, so for a few moments there's nothing much to do but hang on while the arty rocks your world.

Then it stops. The ground keeps shaking though. Dudhugger waves you all back up the stairs. In the bunker main floor he puts Ragdar onto giving command the good news (Profession: Radioman check to inform LT and request orders) - there's a large human radio set in here too. He could try and use that instead if he's game (Two checks. One to figure it out, another to use - both Prof. Radioman). The fixed set will certainly have a bigger airial.

There's trouble comming. Dudhugger remembers Hooky spotted Houten tanks advancing for a counter-attack. You guys could just sit tight and wait it out, but Dud has something more crafty in mind. Lucky your hearing is starting to return, even if the ground is still shaking.

"Pie, Hooky, Felhelm - help me move one of those field guns into the service area. Kord, get the rear service door open - we're giving these buggers a taste of their own!" says Dudhugger

Time to brush up on artillery skills - field guns are wheeled cannons. I'll need intelligence checks to put the wheels back on one and remove it from the locks, then strength checks to shift the gun into the rear service area.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Just guessing on the modifiers...
    Intellegence - (1d20-1)[19]
    Strength - (1d20+4)[23]

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

23. - Top - End - #113

Ragdar nods and eyes the human set, but with time being short he goes with the electronic devil he knows.

{using own radio set, holding it out and up the 'safe' side out the gun window near where the other Dvergr are getting the artillery guns (1d20+10)[21] }

"Ragdar to command, do you read? The bunker has been taken by 1st squad of 1st platoon, 2nd company, 1st battalion. Hostile tanks incoming and artillery being redeployed against them, over."

24. - Top - End - #114

((If the call goes through))

Ragdar then takes a look at the Houten equipment {(1d20+10)[17]} noting what channel/frequency they are using. He will pass this information onto Command through his own open channel if he can find it.

25. - Top - End - #115

((Don't sweat it on modifiers. I've got it in mind how strong you lot are, but the dice determine whether you apply it well enough under stress.))

26. - Top - End - #116

Ragdar's first attempt gets nowhere. He may make two more attempts. From training he knows he might be able to disconnect the airial from the human radio set and jury-rig it to his own for while he's in the bunker. It will need disconnecting later when he leaves the bunker, with a knife if he's in a hurry.

So Prof: radioman to keep trying, or two Prof: radio checks to try that jury-rigging idea - one to try it another to use it. If he does that i'll give a bonus on the roll.

((Will continue this later, out of time for now.))

27. - Top - End - #117

In a moment of brilliance, you guys have no trouble lifting the field gun from it's mount and affixing the two wheels. Pushing it is easy initially, but the corpses make hard going. With plenty of cursing, heaving and grunting you manage to push the thing through into the rear service bay. The great big door - wide enough for the gun or rear of a truck - is opened. You're greeted with a great line of tanks, advancing from the Houten 2nd trench line about a kilometer away with hundreds of infantry supporting in their wake.

It looks like you're up against a lot of outdated heavy tanks. They each have a pair of sponsons with 6 pounder guns, similar to the field gun you're manning. They look slow but have been up-engined and up-armoured. Your captured field gun may or may not be able to take any of them out - only one way to find out.

Example field gun
    Spoiler
    Show

You'd be forgiven for thinking you're in for quite a time of it, but while you can't see them you can certainly hear the dvergr 3rd company approaching behind you. 2nd company (yours) has taken a pounding from that artillery, many vehicles are knocked out - but not all of them. You can hear their guns firing to your left and right, using the newly formed craters and terrain deformation for hull down positions.

Pie-eater may not seem ideal for service as an artillery gunner, but dvergr have poor eyes for long ranges - therefore Dudhugger puts him as gunner. (pick a target, all are currently about 1000 meters away. It's a D20 for your first shot - 20 being a direct hit. You may fire on enemy tanks or their escorting infantry. First shot is an explosive round, but after each shot you must tell your gunner what to load next - HE, AP, or canister. HE (explosive) is ideal against infantry and light vehicles beyond 100 meters. AP (armour piercing) is for tanks. Canister is used against infantry within 100 meters, shredding them with a shotgun-like blast of shrapnel.

Kord is assigned as loader. He will take two turns to reload the gun after each shot. D8, on a 8 he pulls this off in one turn. Every time he loads the gun he adds a +1 modifier to his next attempt as he gets the hang of it. On a 1 he will always fail, and take two turns.

That leaves a few spare hands. It's up to Dudhugger how he uses them - maybe get the second field gun ready in case the first is damaged, or make a barricade before the gun Pie's manning in hopes of absorbing bullets from the inevitable reply of HMG fire. On a Awareness check (same as search) he can help them look for suitable materials, or stay here to direct the gun when things get more complicated and just tell the others what to do.

Kord checks the breech. "Gun ready!" he tells Pie. "Fire at will." says Dudhugger.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-05-26 at 06:12 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Cover yer ears mates!

(1d20)[13]

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

29. - Top - End - #119

The gun sounds off, and a few moments later there's a blast a few hundred meters shy of the Houten tanks. Kord looks at Pie expectantly... Pie hasn't said what shell to load.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Load an AP!

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.