New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 105 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 95

Ah... I can't believe I didn't see it. Croakmancy translates from Erflish to English as more than just Deathmancy. It's Killmancy.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Erfworld 105; The battle of Gobwin Knob

Quote Originally Posted by Kanthalion View Post
    XYZZY: Minesweeper Cheat code.
    It's earlier than that - it was used in the original Collossal Cave adventure (oh, those hayclon days of my youth. And the PDP11, of course).
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

The final panel needs to somehow become my desktop, too awesome.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait, what?

WHAT?

That's... not what I expected.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slurpz View Post
    I love the smell of something burning in the morning.

EDIT: UUDDLRLRBASS...I thought it was UUDDLRLRBAS (Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start)?

If it was referring to the song, it would be UUDDLRLRABSS (Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, Select, Start)
    *gamer geek hat on* Technically, the Konami Code (aka the Contra Code) is UUDDLRLRBA (Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right B, A) - but it's generally input while the game is paused, and as such the effects aren't seen until you hit Start to unpause it. But because of that, anything input after the final A doesn't matter (the code is already active), so some people have learned it with Select in there, or other minor variations.
    Not a robot

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    So, ignoring the cheat codes or other spell components in games I haven't dealt with, I'm confused over the loyalty issue.

In her meeting with the Tool, she refused an order but said she was permitted because of a higher requirement in keeping him alive. Now, true, this does not imply she was under control or loyalty and it could have been fancy wordplay, but there still seemed to be a sense of control. So which is it, or are both, or neither operative? (Where neither means she is/was the one in control of the coup and leading Stanley. Except that doesn't quite fit since things were a tactical mess leading up to the battle of Gobwin Knob.)

And where is the energy/spell bolt hitting? Where she is standing, or a wider area?

Jillian's view is adorable, though. Both her view and her sword approach to life.
    Well by what I have read since #1, that each unit has it is own free will, unless ordered. The only one that can do that was Stanley, and he left them to their own, as long as they stay out of his sight at the time of fleeing. Therefore you can conclude that she may just be a barbarian/non-committed unit, she is not disbanded until GK falls or dies in combat. Which is why the rest have not been abandoned either. Stanley even needs GK to survive until he gets to FAQ and that is why he did not disband it as well (if he had a choice, and the walls were still standing).
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 105; The battle of Gobwin Knob

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    It's earlier than that - it was used in the original Collossal Cave adventure (oh, those hayclon days of my youth. And the PDP11, of course).
    It's even older than that: it's a mnemonic used for cross products.
    http://www.rickadams.org/adventure/c_xyzzy.html
    (Sometimes I feel ancient…)
    (PS It's "halcyon". "Hayclon" sounds like some kind of chemical exterminator.)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Awwwww. Yes Wanda looks wonderful and cool, but it saddens me that she may be our true villain. She clearly still had either plans or feelings for Jillian, but rather than letting her ex leave she's going to attack all the flyers? Does she have another plan or is she just being foolhardy? That's an awful lot of spell power to summon an "I'm sorry" card.

Thanks to all the posters who explained the cheat codes.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmsl View Post
    Thanks to all the posters who explained the cheat codes.
    IDSPISPOPD would have been cooler than IDCLIP, though. (But given the effect of the spell, IDFA or IDKFA would have been more appropriate.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

oh snap!

Meteor Swarm?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

uh-oh...

I wonder if Wanda is going to get in trouble with her warlord... it's an "unauthorized" attack after all.

But I'm so glad to see that her sense of fashion is back! (Now that's some spell: not only does it wreak utter destruction on your enemies, it also modifies your outfit into sexy and fashionable!)
    Member of the Belkar-Fanclub
    Admirer of Wanda Firebaugh

Avatar art by Rob Balder and Jamie Noguchi, avatared by SteveMB

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

I think an important thing to note here is that death of a Ruler does NOT cause all units of the Ruler's Side to disband, even if the Ruler lacks an heir. I have a working theory as to how this functions, as follows.

There are two ways for a unit to disband- 'starvation' (in which its upkeep cannot be paid), or 'execution', in which the unit's Ruler wills it to disband. If a Ruler dies, and the Ruler has an heir, the heir becomes the new Ruler of the Side, inheriting control of whatever portion of the treasury can survive the circumstances of of their inheritance. If a Ruler dies, and there is no heir, the Side ceases to function as a Side. Units outside of cities either are cut off from any central treasury, and starve, or become attached to the nearest remaining city. My inclination is to believe that they simply starve in the chaos of the interregnum. Units in cities still have access to the city's revenues, which can be used to upkeep existing units. Obviously, there is a mechanism for units without rulers to defect to functional Sides, as Jillian offers to Wanda. Presumably a Side with no Ruler may fragment into several Sides around Warlords based in different cities.

The important implication here is that if Stanley dies, Parson is still safe- he's ensconced in a city that can provide revenue to pay his upkeep.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Axl_Rose View Post
    I hope this doesn't turn into some deus ex machina where Wanda has a ridiculous amount of power and the bad guys were, in fact, never in danger at all!
    Well, I doubt she has enough power to croak the entire siege by herself. But we've always known that she's Gobwin Knob's most important resource -- after all, most of their troops are uncroaked that she created, and she's supposedly skilled in every type of magic (which is unusual enough that spellcasters are typically just known by the one type of magic they're good at.)

She's also been concealing her abilities (Parson suspected she knows a lot more about military matters than she let on, say.) This could just be because she hates everything but Croakamancy, but it could also be to keep Stanley from getting suspicious and to avoid looking like a threat.

Hmm. If she has some other agenda beyond simply serving Stanley, that raises all sorts of questions. For one thing, she's the one who suggested summoning Parson, after all...

You know, she wasn't so angry until Jillian started talking about 'saving' her. (She was even willing to ask what Jillian wanted.)

Hypothesis: She does agree with Stanley, at least to a point -- she resents royals and feels they don't deserve their position. She enjoys dominating Jillian because Jillian is a royal. She doesn't have any illusions about Stanley, but since he's attuned to an Arkentool she's using him to wage a proxy war on the power of royals as a whole.

Of course, another, simpler possibility is that she's using him to collect the Arkentools for some unspecified reason. When did it become Stanley's big quest? It wasn't, always -- early on she mentions that "since we started searching for the Arkentools" or whatever. Could she be the one who filled him with all that hot air about being the chosen of the titans and collecting the Arkentools and so on?
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-05-02 at 06:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by nweismuller View Post
    The important implication here is that if Stanley dies, Parson is still safe- he's ensconced in a city that can provide revenue to pay his upkeep.
    I suspect this may be academic at this point; we're not going to see a climactic battle between Stanley and the Coalition anytime soon. While no principals may get killed off, I suspect this fight will either significantly delay Jillian's group or kill enough of her units to force her to break off the chase.
    Last edited by El_Chupacabra; 2008-05-02 at 06:01 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Also: Why does Jaclyn still work for Charlie? It's a miracle he manages to sell any magical security at all with her like this.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-05-02 at 06:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    In her meeting with the Tool, she refused an order but said she was permitted because of a higher requirement in keeping him alive. Now, true, this does not imply she was under control or loyalty and it could have been fancy wordplay, but there still seemed to be a sense of control. So which is it, or are both, or neither operative? (Where neither means she is/was the one in control of the coup and leading Stanley. Except that doesn't quite fit since things were a tactical mess leading up to the battle of Gobwin Knob.)
    Actually, I think it does fit. If Wanda is the puppet master, but with only a limited ability to manipulate Stanley, that would create a certain diffuseness of overall command. (Example: Wanda's comment about how Stanley has been choosing warlords suggests that she knows he isn't making those decisions very well, but hasn't been able to do anything about it until matters became this desperate. Also, she had to make the concession of casting the spell herself.) That introduces some of the problems of "leadership by committee".

And where is the energy/spell bolt hitting? Where she is standing, or a wider area?
    I think just a small spot -- note that the balcony floor (which isn't all that large) covers the entire panel, so it's a fairly "close-up" view.

Jillian's view is adorable, though. Both her view and her sword approach to life.
    Hmmm... it seems that the prospect of Jillian turning Stanley into thousands of julienne fries in seconds set Wanda off. Pragmatic calculation that Stanley is useful? Genuine personal concern about him? Belief that Stanley is indeed a Tool of the Titans, and loyalty to that aspect even if she doesn't have a terribly high opinion of the man himself?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Was I the only one to think "...Woah, Dragonslave" at that final panel? I mean, I recogniced a couple cheats and deduced the rest would be too, but that final panes screams more "overpowered explosion incoming" than "cheats enabled" to me.

But, you know, it's gonna be awesome either way, so whatever, I'm not complaining

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Hmmm... it seems that the prospect of Jillian turning Stanley into thousands of julienne fries in seconds set Wanda off. Pragmatic calculation that Stanley is useful? Genuine personal concern about him? Belief that Stanley is indeed a Tool of the Titans, and loyalty to that aspect even if she doesn't have a terribly high opinion of the man himself?
    Hmm, here's my thoughts on what might be in Wanda's head.

Leftover hurt. (You betrayed me to run off with some guy who likes radishes.)
    Wounded pride. (I ended up looking useless in front of other people... and
    you're now saying that you don't think I'm strong enough to have made my own decisions.)
    Pragmatism. (If Stanley croaks, we probably won't have an Arkentool anymore.)

Wanda isn't a nice person. She's a badass, but not nice. I'm pretty sure she signed on with Stanley in order to be one of the people ruling the world when this is over. For somebody like Wanda, it's better to serve under a weak-willed ruler who'll go out and do something than a hard-headed or patient ruler who will only stay home.

Poor Jillian. I wonder how far back her relationship with Wanda goes...

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nweismuller View Post
    I think an important thing to note here is that death of a Ruler does NOT cause all units of the Ruler's Side to disband, even if the Ruler lacks an heir. I have a working theory as to how this functions, as follows.

There are two ways for a unit to disband- 'starvation' (in which its upkeep cannot be paid), or 'execution', in which the unit's Ruler wills it to disband. If a Ruler dies, and the Ruler has an heir, the heir becomes the new Ruler of the Side, inheriting control of whatever portion of the treasury can survive the circumstances of of their inheritance. If a Ruler dies, and there is no heir, the Side ceases to function as a Side. Units outside of cities either are cut off from any central treasury, and starve, or become attached to the nearest remaining city. My inclination is to believe that they simply starve in the chaos of the interregnum. Units in cities still have access to the city's revenues, which can be used to upkeep existing units. Obviously, there is a mechanism for units without rulers to defect to functional Sides, as Jillian offers to Wanda. Presumably a Side with no Ruler may fragment into several Sides around Warlords based in different cities.

I disagree. The only reason I can figure that Jillian went to Wanda before croaking Stanley is so that Wanda could change loyalty and thus survive Stanley's croaking.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Looks like she ran out of bubblegum.

That last panel is made of pure awesome.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Fendrin: please note that Jillian expects croaking Stanley to free Wanda from his control, not kill Wanda. Given that we should expect Jillian to understand the basics of how upkeep works, I am inclined to believe this indicates that Wanda (and, by extension, other units in Gobwin Knob) can survive their Ruler's death.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Yea, 'tis awesome.... but how can Wanda cast when it's Jillian's move? Someone's acting out of turn - in more than one sense.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabra View Post
    I suspect this may be academic at this point; we're not going to see a climactic battle between Stanley and the Coalition anytime soon. While no principals may get killed off, I suspect this fight will either significantly delay Jillian's group or kill enough of her units to force her to break off the chase.
    This would certainly seem to mean it's academic... at this point. However, I think the important thing to remember here is that it means Parson's survival is *not* tied to Stanley's, anymore. Which means that Parson will have a chance to be freed from Stanley's control, allowing us later stories with Parson where his agenda isn't dictated by a dim-witted and megalomaniacal tyrant above him. In the longer term, if Parson has to *continue* serving Stanley, things are going to become somewhat... narratively unsatisfying. I am operating on the assumption here that 'The Battle For Gobwin Knob' being chapter 1 of Erfworld means that there will be a larger story arc beyond the struggle to keep Gobwin Knob from falling; if 'The Battle For Gobwin Knob' ends up being the only Erfworld story, this may well be irrelevant.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

I misinterpreted the joke, but I chuckled at my version anyway. In MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, you can't control your character while you are typing out some conversation to other players. So, sometimes people will type out "AWSDD121212" which is a string of attack and movement commands then yell "Aggro!" to their party. It's pretty funny - well maybe you have to be there.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh My. That is a LOT of cheat-codes.

and I believe XYZZY originated with Colossal Cave not Minesweeper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyzzy
    Last edited by TheTurnipKing; 2008-05-02 at 07:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stm177 View Post
    I misinterpreted the joke, but I chuckled at my version anyway. In MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, you can't control your character while you are typing out some conversation to other players. So, sometimes people will type out "AWSDD121212" which is a string of attack and movement commands then yell "Aggro!" to their party. It's pretty funny - well maybe you have to be there.
    Totally unrelated to the main topic but... do they do in purpose, or it's an error (speaking while presuming to be moving)? And what's the purpose of yelling "Aggro"? (that, if I remember properly, it's just the act of attracting mob's attention?)

Laurentio

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by TheTurnipKing View Post
    Oh My. That is a LOT of cheat-codes.

and I believe XYZZY originated with Colossal Cave not Minesweeper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyzzy
    Sad thing is, I totally blew it on interpretation there. I saw Abacab (Genesis song) and Zyzygy (one of the original names for the company Atari that was being considered by the creator of Atari).

My geek cred is sorely lacking. Well, that and I don't often use cheat codes.

Oh, and someone said Aggro forces engagements with no retreat option? Izzat true? I don't play WOW or other MMORPGS. Not that Erfworld would be forced to use other game mechanics or anything, but it would mean Exeunt Stage Right for at least one or two major characters in the next few panels if that's the case.
    Last edited by El_Chupacabra; 2008-05-02 at 07:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio View Post
    Totally unrelated to the main topic but... do they do in purpose, or it's an error (speaking while presuming to be moving)? And what's the purpose of yelling "Aggro"? (that, if I remember properly, it's just the act of attracting mob's attention?)

Laurentio
    It's usually an accident, you hit enter to start typing a chat message then attempt to react to something without finishing your chat. Yelling Aggro after closing the chat window is an attempt to let your group know you are under attack.

And while I think the Archons are absolutely fetching in their current outfits, I wouldn't think that a loose flowing skirt would be the best choice for a flyer.

In the second to last panel when the column of energy is manifesting Wanda is chanting "AYBABTU"(All Your Base Are Belong To Us!) which seems a somewhat ominous somatic component for an attack spell.

As a question is the outfit Wanda has revealed under the cloak Evil Lynn's? It seems very familiar and would be in keeping with the Havoc Staff she is carrying.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maelore View Post
    As a question is the outfit Wanda has revealed under the cloak Evil Lynn's? It seems very familiar and would be in keeping with the Havoc Staff she is carrying.
    You means...

If yes, you win.
    EDIT: I fear that Parson is way to young to remember THIS version of Evil Lyn. But maybe in America it's still running? I actually have a workmate that cannot recognize the picture. Sigh.

Laurentio
    Last edited by Laurentio; 2008-05-02 at 08:18 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok... one big thing in all of the loyalty/stanley/wanda mess.

She sleeps with him... apparently somewhat regularly. Now, we obviously learned that sometimes she does this to lead his mind somewhere else... but... she couldn't possibly... actually like him?

Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppy View Post
    *gamer geek hat on* Technically, the Konami Code (aka the Contra Code) is UUDDLRLRBA (Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right B, A) - but it's generally input while the game is paused, and as such the effects aren't seen until you hit Start to unpause it. But because of that, anything input after the final A doesn't matter (the code is already active), so some people have learned it with Select in there, or other minor variations.
    No, it wasn't done during pause.. it was done while the main screen flashed in. You had to complete the code before it showed "1 player/2 player."

I learned it w/select start.